Guest viewing is limited

NHK subscription - legality question

Yeah well better put on your helmet from April 1 also. It’s the law!! 🫡
Oh, almost forgot this one, but recently noticed the police on bicycles riding around with shiny new white helmets.
It's a law written as a suggestion, so there's no associated penalty for not using a helmet.

Reactions: scorpioni6ths
I don't own a helmet, am I fine?
Serious answer: You can expect that the police will be pulling over anyone riding without a helmet to advise them of the change in laws for a few months.

Reactions: CharlieSimms
Serious answer: You can expect that the police will be pulling over anyone riding without a helmet to advise them of the change in laws for a few months.
I have a hard time imagining everybody, grand mothers included, suddenly buying an helmet... Magic Japan never ceases to amaze me.

I have a hard time imagining everybody, grand mothers included, suddenly buying an helmet...
Got me curious, so I went to the big bicycle shop up the street (I needed a tube anyhow) and they're almost sold out of helmets. Counter guy said they can't get them in fast enough.

Reactions: MikeH and Cinnabums
Yes and no, because insurance might not cover you in case of accident then.
That would be a bit outrageous. I have bicycle insurance that comes with my car insurance. I think it’s also more geared to covering damages if I hit someone else… haven’t had to use it, so no real idea.

That would be a bit outrageous.

If there is around 100 million yens in line I would not be surprised if the insurance company tried any tricks they could think of to get out of it.

Yes and no, because insurance might not cover you in case of accident then.
Not a concern. They can't change the terms of coverage to an existing plan, and need to provide a clear notice of change to terms with renewal if they wish to implement it when the current term expires.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
Not a concern. They can't change the terms of coverage to an existing plan, and need to provide a clear notice of change to terms with renewal if they wish to implement it when the current term expires.
I assume the standard term is you're insured as long as you follow the law.

Reactions: cuckhimnow
I assume the standard term is you're insured as long as you follow the law.
Nope - that only affects percentage of liability. Your medical coverage is unaffected.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Nope - that only affects percentage of liability. Your medical coverage is unaffected.
My wording was a bit strong.
I meant I wondered if the law helmet does not have an immediate impact on your cover in term of bicycle accident (broader that medical bill).
Your first answer make it feel like it would be none as they would need to update the terms.
My point was that a law change might not need to be updated in terms, I would assume maximum coverage expect you to abide by the law, and be aware of its changes.

Reactions: cuckhimnow
My wording was a bit strong.
I meant I wondered if the law helmet does not have an immediate impact on your cover in term of bicycle accident (broader that medical bill).
Your first answer make it feel like it would be none as they would need to update the terms.
My point was that a law change might not need to be updated in terms, I would assume maximum coverage expect you to abide by the law, and be aware of its changes.
I understood your point. I've already been over it with my insurance agent.

I heard on the news the other day that NHK is going to go on the internet with programming. This means....if you have the internet.....you have to pay for NHK. If you have a phone and no TV....you have to pay for NHK.

I heard on the news the other day that NHK is going to go on the internet with programming. This means....if you have the internet.....you have to pay for NHK. If you have a phone and no TV....you have to pay for NHK.

Nope.. 👍

IMG_0676.jpeg