Guest viewing is limited

Overtourism as of October 2023

I was recently at Takaosan and Hitachi seaside park and it wasn't bad there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice
I was recently Takaosan and Hitachi seaside park and it wasn't bad there.

That's because the curb-squatters of the Middle Kingdom care not for Takaosan. The 90-minute enforced time limit and glass-exchange system at the beer garden doesn't allow them a lot of opportunity to sneak off with a shit ton of food in their purses and liquor in their Hydroflasks, and then the cable car system that brings you up and down is very secure so it's impossible for them to sneak on, or scream and yell at the ticket desk staff to try and get 10 yen off the admission price. They could opt to hike up and down for free but then running through the forest surrounded by Japanese in hats and carrying sharp sticks reminds them of Nanking.

That's because the curb-squatters of the Middle Kingdom care not for Takaosan. The 90-minute enforced time limit and glass-exchange system at the beer garden doesn't allow them a lot of opportunity to sneak off with a shit ton of food in their purses and liquor in their Hydroflasks, and then the cable car system that brings you up and down is very secure so it's impossible for them to sneak on, or scream and yell at the ticket desk staff to try and get 10 yen off the admission price. They could opt to hike up and down for free but then running through the forest surrounded by Japanese in hats and carrying sharp sticks reminds them of Nanking.
Tone it down.

As a matter of fact, everyone reduce the jeers towards different nationalities, etc.
Every single nationality, race and species have their issues in being terrible guests or just simply terrible people.
Everyone notices the troublemakers but completely ignores those who go about their business, unnoticed.

Tone it down.

As a matter of fact, everyone reduce the jeers towards different nationalities, etc.
Every single nationality, race and species have their issues in being terrible guests or just simply terrible people.
Everyone notices the troublemakers but completely ignores those who go about their business, unnoticed.

You're right. I was looking back over the thread and this has turned out potentially very offensive, my Kirkland-inspired rants in particular. I'm enjoying my nightcap (19% Niigata swill) so allow me to redirect that energy into something positive and turn the page here: If Japan is going to be flooded with tourists, which country's tourists do you LIKE??

I hate to admit this, but the most pleasant tourists I generally come across are British. Not like MY British drinking pals, who are basically street trash that somehow ended up in Japan, but British tourists in general. Even with the "posh" dickhead class, I don't believe I've ever seen one of them doing anything you normally see Americans doing (complaining, whining, demanding things, etc.). Since a previous poster brought up Takaosan, not long back I was up at that beer garden and at the table next to us was a group of middle-aged tourists with northern accents, and I only knew that because I used to raise hell with a number of guys from Manchester back in my NOVA days. I asked where they were from, "MANCHESTER," they replied, and a moment later we've joined tables and then proceeded to raid the beer counter down to the last few minutes of our 90-minute time limit. Raid it proper, we did. BUT, they were nothing but pleasant and we all went on our merry ways. Nothing broken, nothing stolen, nobody assaulted.

I've also been particularly impressed by the tourists I've met from Singapore. Not just because of their command of English, but they seem to be a pretty classy, cosmopolitan sort. They, unlike Japanese, are also one of the few groups who look at me and can tell I'm not a genuine Japanese native, and that's generally how I end up talking to them.

Flip that script and I can only imagine what those same tourists go home and tell their friends and relatives about "Japanese Americans." They hang out at onsens, drunk as fuck, piss in the showers, have small dicks and big egos, and they don't even speak Japanese that well.

Last edited:
You're right. I was looking back over the thread and this has turned out potentially very offensive, my Kirkland-inspired rants in particular. I'm enjoying my nightcap (19% Niigata swill) so allow me to redirect that energy into something positive and turn the page here: If Japan is going to be flooded with tourists, which country's tourists do you LIKE??

I hate to admit this, but the most pleasant tourists I generally come across are British. Not like MY British drinking pals, who are basically street trash that somehow ended up in Japan, but British tourists in general. Even with the "posh" dickhead class, I don't believe I've ever seen one of them doing anything you normally see Americans doing (complaining, whining, demanding things, etc.). Since a previous poster brought up Takaosan, not long back I was up at that beer garden and at the table next to us were a group of middle-aged tourists with northern accents, and I only knew that because I used to raise hell with a number of guys from Manchester back in my NOVA days. I asked where they were from, "MANCHESTER," they replied, and a moment later we've joined tables and then proceeded to raid the beer counter down to the last few minutes of our 90-minute time limit. Raid it proper, we did. BUT, they were nothing but pleasant and we all went on our merry ways. Nothing broken, nothing stolen, nobody assaulted.

I've also been particularly impressed by the tourists I've met from Singapore. Not just because of their command of English, but they seem to be a pretty classy, cosmopolitan sort. They, unlike Japanese, are also one of the few groups who look at me and can tell I'm not a genuine Japanese native, and that's generally how I end up talking to them.

Flip that script and I can only imagine what those same tourists go home and tell their friends and relatives about "Japanese Americans." They hang out at onsens, drunk as fuck, piss in the showers, have small dicks and big egos, and they don't even speak Japanese that well.
Funny because British tourists in Europe are the worst, but maybe they are different when they are far from home.

I guess Taiwanese tourists are generally the most liked.

Funny because British tourists in Europe are the worst, but maybe they are different when they are far from home.

I will never confess of writing this but the most polite and nice tourists I have ever met where Russians far away from home.

Long long time ago in a different galaxy the love of my life that time persuated me to book a holiday in some Thai resort "where also the princess something something" goes.

When we got there we found few Japanese and a lot of super rich Russians. Pleasant, well mannered, polite and very generous as when they heard the couple next to us in the pool side talking about going somewhere the next day one of the Russian ladies stood up and said "we have some extra tickets we bought and cannot use, here you are" and just handed them like $300 bucks worth of admission tickects out of the blue.

Reactions: Alice and Keihan
I will never confess of writing this but the most polite and nice tourists I have ever met where Russians far away from home.

Long long time ago in a different galaxy the love of my life that time persuated me to book a holiday in some Thai resort "where also the princess something something" goes.

When we got there we found few Japanese and a lot of super rich Russians. Pleasant, well mannered, polite and very generous as when they heard the couple next to us in the pool side talking about going somewhere the next day one of the Russian ladies stood up and said "we have some extra tickets we bought and cannot use, here you are" and just handed them like $300 bucks worth of admission tickects out of the blue.

I think when folks are actually very rich, they're either huge assholes or insanely nice, regardless of nationality.

Regarding Russians, however, Keihan may one day have to hold a security clearance again or at least a staff badge to unnamed buildings in D.C., so for the record: KEIHAN SAYS FUCK RUSSIA.

With that out of the way, back in the day in Osaka, a lot of Russian working girls in the Umeda area used to drink at the same bars we did after their shifts were over, and we would inevitably end up having drinks with them. I suppose there was a certain kind of comradery there--they being used and abused by the girly bars, and we being used and abused plus poor as shit working for NOVA. I had some interesting conversations with them. What I really respected was them adhering to the "off the clock" code on both sides, and we could all just hang out and get shitfaced. That said, I'd jump in front of a JR Express before I ever got involved with one of them, which I supposed would've amounted to the same thing.

Reactions: MikeH
Wait, I thought they had the Northeast Corridor with Acela?

If Japan is going to be flooded with tourists, which country's tourists do you LIKE??
Apart from the obvious (my fellow countrymates so I can get home snacks and meals on the cheap; jealous of the 5 actual Nepalese people living here with 5 million Nepalese restaurants to choose from), I’d love to see more Mexicans here. They’re a festive bunch and I love downing Mexican food when I have the chance. Also want to say Brazilians for the same reason, but I heard they don’t have a good rep in Aichi for reasons I’m going to find out later. Morrocans would be nice too. Can’t say much about SGs since they’re basically us with much better currency.

Just got back from a business trip yesterday and damn…. the tourists in the airport are insane. What really blew my mind this time is 50+ of them in line to buy skyliner tickets from the vending machine when all 6 counter staff were idle. Is it really that hard to have a human interaction?
Ah fuck, the other tourists have found out that you can take the Skyliner instead of the N.EX? I was hoping they're still blind as fuck and I could get a fast ticket... But I guess in that couse I will just go to the counter lol.

I've found that some people really do abuse the fact that Japanese people are generally more reserved, kind and non-confrontational. They know that when they behave like shitters at a restaurant, staff won't kick them out and instead apologise for the inconvenience etc.

Ah fuck, the other tourists have found out that you can take the Skyliner instead of the N.EX? I was hoping they're still blind as fuck and I could get a fast ticket... But I guess in that couse I will just go to the counter lol.

I've found that some people really do abuse the fact that Japanese people are generally more reserved, kind and non-confrontational. They know that when they behave like shitters at a restaurant, staff won't kick them out and instead apologise for the inconvenience etc.
For the Skyliner, there were problems even before covid. Each time I'd take that train, mainly coming from Narita, there were ALWAYS some tourists that were on that train without proper tickets and even the ones with tickets thought they could sit anywhere they'd like. Once or twice, I saw people just hanging out between cars but eventually getting found out by the conductor staff. Now, quite a few of the flights I usually take, run out of Haneda now, so I don't get to visit Narita as much as before.

Reactions: Ken1988
Interesting. I picked up my mom and a friend on separate occasions at Narita and the Skyliner was fine. I guess I will find out in about 3 1/2 weeks when I fly into Narita. Haneda flights were more expensive somehow so I had to settle for Narita...

Once or twice, I saw people just hanging out between cars but eventually getting found out by the conductor staff
They just hand them to the cops at Nippori now. Call ahead, cops are waiting, apologize to the other passengers for the slight delay.

Reactions: TAG Manager
If Japan is going to be flooded with tourists, which country's tourists do you LIKE??

No particular likes or dislikes on tourists, more of people who have no manners or culture.
as if no one has ever seen a train arrive before.
Sundays at Akiba, yes the road is closed, its just flooded with tourists taking pictures of the fucking road and being so amazed that they can walk on a road

Meh, let them do it. Plenty of Japanese tourists do the same in Tokyo on Sundays whether in Ginza or Akiba. As long as it doesn't impede anyone else, who cares - you can get some pretty cool shots at sunset from those streets.

Sundays at Akiba, yes the road is closed, its just flooded with tourists taking pictures of the fucking road and being so amazed that they can walk on a road
If that's all a tourist does, I see no problem. Cringey? Maybe. But a little cringe never hurt anyone.

Physically at least.

Actually, I have the same experience. Once you discount the younger party crowd, every Russian I've met abroad has been sociable and polite. The young ones are also social, but less polite. But definitely more likely to be sharing spirits.

Reactions: Alice and MikeH
He's a New Zealander
Raised Aussie, lived there 48 of his 59 years. He's as Aussie as dropping a barrel from outside 50.

Raised Aussie, lived there 48 of his 59 years. He's as Aussie as dropping a barrel from outside 50.
So why can't he qualify for Australian citizenship? He's been rejected multiple times.

• Wow
So why can't he qualify for Australian citizenship? He's been rejected multiple times.
Because he's always travelling? You have to live continuously in Australia for a certain period of time to qualify.

there's not much extra benefit having Australian citizenship if you're wealthy and already hold a NZ passport. NZ citizens are generally granted permanent resident visas for Australia anyway.

My theory is that he keeps starting fistfights with the immigration interviewer.

• Haha
Reactions: Alice and MikeH
My theory is that he keeps starting fistfights with the immigration interviewer.

Wouldn't that count for and not against getting Australian citizenship?

• Haha
Reactions: Sudsy and Alice