Guest viewing is limited

Permanently not learning Japanese!

Learning Japanese up to a fluent level requires many hours of study. Once you reach an intermediate level, enough to move around, go to the doctor, etc., you will never improve unless you have the time and energy to continue studying every day for 3 or 4 years.

Learning Japanese up to a fluent level requires many hours of study. Once you reach an intermediate level, enough to move around, go to the doctor, etc., you will never improve unless you have the time and energy to continue studying every day for 3 or 4 years.

That is true, and with any language, but besides the point. The discussion started with people who have lived in Japan decases and speak next to none.

If you get to the level of handling your daily things and even visiting doctor with no problems you are already ways ahead.

Reactions: Alice and Gina
I think I read about those in Japan for so long yet still on spouse visa.
https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/s/oD1N9foH1J

But at least the OP there seems to have all his ducks in a row and manages phone calls with immigration and what not with no problems.

I cannot imagine the horror where you would need to do all that in English with no prior background of doing any of the paper work yourself.

During my many years in Japan I occasionally bump in to foreigners speaking next to no Japanese even after 10, 15 or as much as 20 years in the country.

I always wondered what's the reasoning behind this?
Opinions?
I don't know about Japan specifically, but I have a British friend based in Hong Kong.

After 10+ years he can barely speak a lick of Cantonese. There's a lot of expats there and he just hangs out with other English speakers which means he can just get by not really learning. I also think by being white, nobody really exerts that pressure on him. I imagine as a Chinese there you might be shamed for not knowing the language(like how I was once mocked as a kid over there when I asked for a fork and spoon....).

I'm also from a multiracial country - while there is a so called national language - many can also get by being terrible at it due to just the company they keep and the communities they are part of. Me being guilty of it.

Push comes to shove people will probably learn from exposure and necessity, but it's just easy enough to be in your own bubble such that it never arises.

Reactions: Alice
I don’t think Hong Kong is comparable because English is one of the official languages so not speaking Chinese is irrelevant, by design. You can readily expect English service and treatment just about everywhere and especially anything formal / official.
In Japan, Japanese is the ONLY official language. Everything done in English a mere convenience not a requirement, cannot and should not be expected, and is utterly unenforceable. For example you cannot sue in Japanese court for a breach of contract if it’s English.
I mean you CAN sue but the law is written in Japanese so you’ll be submitting a Japanese translation of the contract …

I just can't comprehend completely relying on a partner like they do. Something small like needing a button knit is fine, but seemingly everything outside of work goes way over the top that I feel uncomfortable. I only know English and Japanese, but if I had to live in a country with a completely different language, I would make the effort to learn the language. Brownie points with the in-laws are just icing on the top

Reactions: Gina
All totally understandable reasons but this one is a gamble I would not be willing to take. What happens when she decides to kick you out and you have no idea where your towel is?
:ROFLMAO:Indisputable! But where I'm at in life now, the real motivation to study is just to be one of the bros on the soccer field.

:ROFLMAO:Indisputable! But where I'm at in life now, the real motivation to study is just to be one of the bros on the soccer field.

That is the second best reason to learn, the first obviously being the after-session pillow talk with them ladies.

Fortunately the discussions in both places share a lot in common. You can hear "you are really fast", "great ball handling" and "good try, but you missed it by few inches" after both events.

During my many years in Japan I occasionally bump in to foreigners speaking next to no Japanese even after 10, 15 or as much as 20 years in the country.

I always wondered what's the reasoning behind this?
Opinions?
I guess it has to go along with your memory too....cause I told you not once but twice.

Sorry.....I'm still a tad under the weather.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MikeH and Cinnabums