Guest viewing is limited

Pickup bar

nailedit

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm taking out a recently divorced friend on Saturday. I want to take him to a place where he can meet girls and try to get back into the game. We're both 40ish white American businessmen. We want to actually talk so a loud club is probably out of the question.

So, any recommendations for a bar where 40 year old Caucasian businessmen can chat up girls and start to get back into the game?

Hub is a bar that's good for foreigners and you're less likely to be fleeced here than in some other places. You can meet some Japanese girls here, don't know what the success rates are though. How's your game and Japanese?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Talking with some military guys here in Japan and the consensus seems to be that if/when they split up based on race it's because the women who go to hip-hop bars are looking for African-American guys so a white guy doesn't have that good a chance.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
For Caucasian businessmen, Rigoletto's at Roppongi Hills is the new meat market for 30+ Japanese girls looking for a professional gentleman I'd say after Heartland closed down a while back.
Maybe R2 also.
Is A971 at Midtown still see any action? Been a long time since I've been there.

Edit: Another quick and easy way to go is to go an International Party. A quick Google revealed at least these two going on this Saturday:
http://english.gaitomo.com/schedule/2017/8/12_1378.html
http://www.tokyoparty.org/party.php?p=internationalfriendsparty&lang=en

Last edited:
For Caucasian businessmen, Rigoletto's at Roppongi Hills is the new meat market for 30+ Japanese girls looking for a professional gentleman I'd say after Heartland closed down a while back.
Maybe R2 also.
Is A971 at Midtown still see any action? Been a long time since I've been there.

Edit: Another quick and easy way to go is to go an International Party. A quick Google revealed at least these two going on this Saturday:

A971 is now a Starbucks.

Maybe R2 also.

Good suggestions (although I hate pick-up game generally speaking and in bars especially , but I see what others are doing) .
A971 had closed last time I went to Midtown but it's already a few months. Probably a new place already opened where it once was .

In my limited experience the international parties are great for the 30 and under crowd. I had been to a couple on my own and saw the same thing - very few people over 30 or so. I took a buddy to one just to get him out after a break-up with his GF - he is 29 and I'm late 50's - so I was wingman/comic relief. One woman he was talking to was quite up-front about hooking up with him in the short term.

In my limited experience the international parties are great for the 30 and under crowd. I had been to a couple on my own and saw the same thing - very few people over 30 or so. I took a buddy to one just to get him out after a break-up with his GF - he is 29 and I'm late 50's - so I was wingman/comic relief. One woman he was talking to was quite up-front about hooking up with him in the short term.

Drinks are not great though , but I understand it's not the purpose :)

Talking with some military guys here in Japan and the consensus seems to be that if/when they split up based on race it's because the women who go to hip-hop bars are looking for African-American guys so a white guy doesn't have that good a chance.
most of the places are for everyone (and especially for Japanese people) and the even in the some places for particular preferences don't mean bad chances. I've been categorized as a Caucasian but I had good chances in Gaspanic the few times I went there.
In the OP case his age and social background are more relevant than his ethnicity. rather than saying which place for which "race", one would better ask for which place suiting his own preferences (musical and other).

Maybe R2 also.

I think R2 is still around. It's okay. Lot of freeloading moocher con-artists in there though. Girls that try to get free drinks off you but have no intention of hooking up.

A971 is now a Starbucks.

Too bad about that one. I think that happened sometime late last year.

Reactions: BB0523
What Bar Replaced Heartland ? I don't mean TUSKS (location and new name of bar) I mean where all the girls that used to go to Heartland where do they go now ? I don't see them at Rigoletto's or R2, because they are not there. They also are not at TUSK - drink prices doubled there. It was always a nice place when it was Heartland... I have yet to find it's replacement... Hub is ok depending on the location, but usually more dudes than females... It's very strange that it's not been replaced. A971 was ok, Heartland was OK Rigoletto's used to be ok - now it's mostly dudes... Any Japanese females can answer this question ? Thanks....

The truth is that the bar scene in Japan is pretty much the worst in any country I've ever seen. In the massive metropolis of Tokyo you've got a handful that ALWAYS get recommended (such as those in this thread) and they're pretty sub par to be honest.

Best bet IMO is to chat up girls in a non bar situation, such as a cafe, bookstore, street, museum, etc

Far better quality and reliability than these tired bars

What Bar Replaced Heartland ? I don't mean TUSKS (location and new name of bar) I mean where all the girls that used to go to Heartland where do they go now ? I don't see them at Rigoletto's or R2, because they are not there. They also are not at TUSK - drink prices doubled there. It was always a nice place when it was Heartland... I have yet to find it's replacement... Hub is ok depending on the location, but usually more dudes than females... It's very strange that it's not been replaced. A971 was ok, Heartland was OK Rigoletto's used to be ok - now it's mostly dudes... Any Japanese females can answer this question ? Thanks....

Excellent question! I’ve often wondered the same. Never saw Heartland at its peak but it wasn’t bad a few years later and A971 had some good nights, though the girls were pretty low quality in general. Picked up some super boring OLs a few times.

Seems like most multinationals have moved their headquarters to HK and SG, guess there’s not much opportunity for Japanese girls chasing foreigners with good jobs anymore. Suspect Japan is well on its way back to being a provincial backwater.

Sinapse has the right idea, better to learn enough Japanese to pick up normal JP girls instead of gaijin hunters. I really can’t be bothered though :cry:

The truth is that the bar scene in Japan is pretty much the worst in any country I've ever seen. In the massive metropolis of Tokyo you've got a handful that ALWAYS get recommended (such as those in this thread) and they're pretty sub par to be honest.

Best bet IMO is to chat up girls in a non bar situation, such as a cafe, bookstore, street, museum, etc

Yes Sinapse, you are 100% correct, which I always do, but my question was more out of curiosity than anything else. I also have a theory, not based on any statistical data, but I've noticed since Abe came in to his position, it seems like the openness to gaijin has slowly been closing up - in terms of women looking to get gaijin boyfriend/ hook up it doesn't mean they are not out there of course, but it is very different than what it used to be. Maybe combination of bad press/actions from USA military guys as well does not help the situation.
It would be interesting to place an ad in a Japanese publication - like Craigslist, Japanese Women who want to enjoy gaijin boyfriend to see what the response rate would be..
I'm just thinking out loud here... Be curious to get other's opinions/thoughts on this.

Reactions: vargas

They got married? :confused:

I also have a theory, not based on any statistical data, but I've noticed since Abe came in to his position, it seems like the openness to gaijin has slowly been closing up - in terms of women looking to get gaijin boyfriend/ hook up it doesn't mean they are not out there of course, but it is very different than what it used to be. Maybe combination of bad press/actions from USA military guys as well does not help the situation

I have the same impression of Japan turning inwards. Don’t think it has anything to do with the US military though. Japan is another failed empire like Spain or France and looks like it’ll end up the same. Slowly aging and a bit shabby but still a comfortable place for its citizens and at least the Japanese aren’t stupid enough to import an entire violent underclass like the euroweenies are doing. And since Japan has always had an isolationist streak, and is isolated geographically, I think the trend inwards will be more pronounced.

The industrial and educational advantages Japan once had are bleeding away, just look at what has become of Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, etc. All of the innovation is happening elsewhere, there’s almost no benefit to centering any sort of R&D or manufacturing in Japan anymore. These days all of the exciting stuff is happening in China, Korea, and the US. The successful expats are probably mostly there and enjoying the local girls.

The truth is that the bar scene in Japan is pretty much the worst in any country I've ever seen
The bad scene is quite cool here. Just most people go with their friends or because they are friends with the bar tenders, not to try to hook up.

Reactions: MikeH
but I've noticed since Abe came in to his position, it seems like the openness to gaijin has slowly been closing up - in terms of women looking to get gaijin boyfriend/ hook up
Probably because they realized that Abe is what the ideal man looks like, and he is not a gaijin.

Japanese Women who want to enjoy gaijin boyfriend to see what the response rate would be..
But how do you make sure the responses are from actual Japanese women? ;)

Reactions: MikeH
But how do you make sure the responses are from actual Japanese women? ;)

You are just jealous! Of course they are young model level Japanese spinners who take us to make JAV with them and make us famous.

I agree, the bar scene/club scene is probably the worst I've ever experienced. The red light districts however is another story.(assuming that you have money to spend)

Probably because they realized that Abe is what the ideal man looks like, and he is not a gaijin

You could say the same thing about Trump in the US with immigrants, Mexicans, Muslims, etc. And.. I don't think that's really related so much. Trump or Abe arent particularly sexualized any more than the typical politician.. Much more to do with the.conservative shift of ideology that's taking place worldwide as countries circle the wagons and cling to their once-great pedigrees, eroded as they fell asleep at the wheel