Guest viewing is limited

reverse cultue shock

Interesting topic and comments. I wonder how many have gone back, readjusted and decided never to come back here.
Of course plenty have done so. A lot of people come here for 2-5 year assignments and when they go back, they adjust just fine. Of course theee will be some things they miss from Japan, but it can all be overcome.

I could adjust if I had to back to where I’m orginally from. It definitely would take a little time.

I’ve been back in the states since April after 3 years in Japan. I did the same in 2002-2005, but now it’s even worse... one trip in August and heading to Tokyo Xmas eve.. can’t wait to get there. Here’s a story I’ve read over the years... the last line says it all for me.
http://www.vagablogging.net/bob-shacochis-rants-on-the-importance-of-living-abroad.html

The countdown is on ...... only a matter of days before your sniffing, licking and swallowing mysteries. :) Hang in there!

Never had that happen! Always happy to go home. The only thing I miss when I do go out is certain p4p options.

Never had that happen! Always happy to go home.

Well, how long have you lived in Japan? Not very long I guess by the use of the word home.

When I go home I can do it by taking a train. Unless it is very late, then I have to use a taxi.

That’s true. I don’t really consider Japan home. With my schedule, I can leave every 2 months or so. On the weekends, since I have Fridays off I travel to other prefectures. I guess I’m on the go too much to really make some attachment. Don’t know enough of the language to make a lot of friends. Certainly the business culture here is different, but that’s about it really. So no I guess I haven’t considered this home and probably won’t.

I certainly don’t mind going home and living on the country side. Fresh air, historical sites, growing your own plants, catching fish. Life goes on either way, so why not live a simpler life?

Why would that get deleted? That’s odd...

I get culture shock everytime I go back to my hometown. I’m thankful to have that return ticket to Japan when my 2-3 week visit is over.

If I were to move back home, I think I’d probably be lost for awhile - a list too big to make here of all the thins that I would miss from Japan or more specifically, Tokyo.

I totally agree with TAG Manager. While it’s nice to see the family after not having seen them in a few years each visit, I must admit a day or two would be sufficient for that. Other than getting some food I can’t get in Japan, I miss being in Japan almost right away, and can’t wait to get back. Over the years, I’ve been lucky enough to have lived in countries all over the globe, but I always end up moving back to Japan. It’s safe, clean, has awesome food, and Onsens. Tokyo, for me, is the most interesting city I’ve lived in, and I’ve lived in NYC, London, and other large cities to compare. And there is so much beautiful nature easily accessible from Tokyo. I hope this time I will finally stay here for good.

I certainly don’t mind going home and living on the country side. Fresh air, historical sites, growing your own plants, catching fish. Life goes on either way, so why not live a simpler life?

You can have the best of both, I hope. I live in a mountain forest and grow veggies in a garden and fish in the river and see so many stars and breath such fresh air. But there is a cost, which is that I spend 5 hours a day commuting to and from work in Tokyo to have this life.

You can have the best of both, I hope. I live in a mountain forest and grow veggies in a garden and fish in the river and see so many stars and breath such fresh air. But there is a cost, which is that I spend 5 hours a day commuting to and from work in Tokyo to have this life.

That is a massive commute even by Japanese standards.

It was nice to see stars in the Tokyo sky over this New Year Holiday :)

That is a massive commute even by Japanese standards.

It was nice to see stars in the Tokyo sky over this New Year Holiday :)

Those cold clear nights when even in Tokyo you can see the stars are magical. I’m glad you could see them. And yes, I’m not sure how long I can take this massive commute, but while I can, I’m really enjoying getting off the train and breathing in that fresh air and seeing so many constilations in the sky. (all the snow shoveling does, admittedly, dampen my enthusiasm, lol )

Where I grew up there were no major cities for miles. The area behind my house had thousands of acres of forest that was marked as flood control for the connecticut river valley. In that flood control area not far from my house was a large field and I use to love going there laying on my back and just staring at the stars. I totally miss that living so close to Tokyo. I really want to get back to that someday.