Rogue 1

RightOn6975

A Dark Knight
Reaction score
OMG!!!! Some serious nostalgia going on, legit awesomeness. HOLY CRAP!!! Movie was awesome. Donnie Yen's character is amazing and has some GREAT one liners. Vader is amazing and even had a great one liner himself, not to mention they brought back James Earl Jones!!! Soooooooo many fricking easter eggs and nods to the Original Holy Trinity. WOW!!! I AM LEGIT FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: statrosa and meiji
It was pretty good.

I think it is my favorite out of all of the Star Wars films. The first 30 minutes were a bit slow, but once it took off, man was it good.

I'm still not sure about how I feel about certain cameos and the inclusion of new designs (Death Troopers, etc.). it was a simple uncomplicated film that let you get into the story without having to over-focus on world-building. They just let you see enough to follow the plot, and not have the plot be part of something unimaginably greater (I.e. Christopher Nolan/Zack Snyder style). Kind of like how Arrival worked by not over-complicating the focus of the movie.

Went and saw it tonight. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not as campy as the originals, and TFA not lame like the prequels. Just good fun.

I liked it but I don't understand why they feel they had to tell this story.

Welcome to the world of Star Wars fandom. First, we get the origin stories already announced. Then, we get episodes 8 and 9. Then, we get episode 6.5 and the prequel to the prequels (Darth Plagueis and the origin of the Jedi to Knights of the Old Republic and beyond)

Reactions: RightOn6975
Welcome to the world of Star Wars fandom. First, we get the origin stories already announced. Then, we get episodes 8 and 9. Then, we get episode 6.5 and the prequel to the prequels (Darth Plagueis and the origin of the Jedi to Knights of the Old Republic and beyond)
This. So much this because they know anything Star Wars will make money. Hell look at the movie fanboys based on kids going to see the prequels.

I liked it but I don't understand why they feel they had to tell this story.

Well it helped fill in some of the plot holes in the original movie which was nice. But I think more importantly is disney spent US$4 Billion for Lucas Films, and I am sure they are going to get every story they possibly can for their investment.

I actually like that they told that story.

I don't mind that it has skipped around in terms of chronology. It is an aspect of story telling I throughly enjoy.

A good example example of this in one film would be Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

In that film we saw four vignettes out of chronological order and it certainly enhanced what you thought about each character as more information was given.

With Star Wars, it has played out over four decades with films released sporadically, so I think it would be even more annoying and harder to stick with if they had made the movies in chronological order.

Reactions: Wwanderer
Well it helped fill in some of the plot holes in the original movie which was nice. But I think more importantly is disney spent US$4 Billion for Lucas Films, and I am sure they are going to get every story they possibly can for their investment.

I actually like that they told that story.

Disney actually has a roadmap for telling the stories that Lucas laid out for them. There are films that they call the Saga which deal with characters in the Skywalker and Vader lineage, they there are stories like Rogue One which are offshoots.

The plan is to have a film every year and alternate between a Saga film and an offshoot.

There are going to use different directors too, some grumble about this, but I think it is a better way of keeping the films fresh.

What I did appreciate about the film was that it filled in major plot holes that have been talked about for over 30 years. It was also a great tie in from episode three to episode four and contained TONS of easter eggs from the films, movies, television shows and books. The pacing was as everybody said was slow at first then it began to pick up and it stayed that way all the way to the end. As one person said it, you can super cut Rogue 1 with Episode 4 and have 1 big ass super cut of the film.

Reactions: impish and Jbagz
. As one person said it, you can super cut Rogue 1 with Episode 4 and have 1 big ass super cut of the film.

Yes, but as @impish noted 1977's Episode 4 was campy as hell in some of the dialog and muppet aliens.

I did want to watch Episode 4 after leaving the theater though.

Suprsisingly, I think that the only film you need to watch to be familiar with Rogue One is A New Hope. With the others, they expect you to know about the characters and have watched the films before. This was fairly stand-alone, which was nice.

I can only fear the Bona Fett origin movie, since we probably have to see both Attack of the Clones and the original trilogy, PLUS Rebels cartoon to get the full (and unnecessary) backstory on Boba Fett. How in the hell did he get so popular?!

I thought it was absolutely fantastic! I had low expectations coming into it but it really blew me away, the characters were great, the fighting scenes were great and the script was passible for a Star Wars flick. Enjoy it a ton, totally worth it.

Suprsisingly, I think that the only film you need to watch to be familiar with Rogue One is A New Hope. With the others, they expect you to know about the characters and have watched the films before. This was fairly stand-alone, which was nice.

I can only fear the Bona Fett origin movie, since we probably have to see both Attack of the Clones and the original trilogy, PLUS Rebels cartoon to get the full (and unnecessary) backstory on Boba Fett. How in the hell did he get so popular?!
Boba fett got the tr-8r treatment. Or the other way around. He was only in episode 6 for a few shots but those few shots cemented his fandom which created a rather in depth story and awesome backs story to include manadalorians. The man is for lack of better words he is an awesome character and everything created since then shows why he was an awesome character to include his father in clone wars in the subpar prequels. Tr-8r had the same treatment as he took on fin who was wielding a light saber with no regard to his own safety and knowing full well what the weapon he was holding and possibly knowing he was a Jedi he still charged and attacked hence the fandom. If a character does something bad ass in this universe in the films no matter how small a backstory will be created for the fans. I know the Boba fett origins story is going to be awesome despite him having screen time in rebels and various movies and games it will probably expand upon his already diverse storyline and sense the new series retconned everything we know about the EU then a origin story is needed to replace him fighting Vader twice and nearly winning. Oh yeah he fought Vader with a light saber just FYI.

Boba fett got the tr-8r treatment. Or the other way around. He was only in episode 6 for a few shots but those few shots cemented his fandom which created a rather in depth story and awesome backs story to include manadalorians. The man is for lack of better words he is an awesome character and everything created since then shows why he was an awesome character to include his father in clone wars in the subpar prequels. Tr-8r had the same treatment as he took on fin who was wielding a light saber with no regard to his own safety and knowing full well what the weapon he was holding and possibly knowing he was a Jedi he still charged and attacked hence the fandom. If a character does something bad ass in this universe in the films no matter how small a backstory will be created for the fans. I know the Boba fett origins story is going to be awesome despite him having screen time in rebels and various movies and games it will probably expand upon his already diverse storyline and sense the new series retconned everything we know about the EU then a origin story is needed to replace him fighting Vader twice and nearly winning. Oh yeah he fought Vader with a light saber just FYI.

Uh. Huh. If you go by his appearances in the original trilogy, I can't remember him actually doing anything all that impressive. He stood in line with a bunch of bounty hunters, oversaw a "prisoner" transport of Han Solo in Carbonite, shot at our heroes and got knocked into a stationary pit by a blind man. R2-D2 is more badass than Boba Fett, in my opinion.

Reactions: TheScientist
There are going to use different directors too, some grumble about this, but I think it is a better way of keeping the films fresh.

Keep in mind that the original trilogy was directed by 3 different directors. It wasn't till the prequels that Lucas ran the whole show, and given how he prioritized special effects over unnecessary things like writing good dialogue and properly editing the movie, he really should have just produced it and give himself a writing credit.

They are doing a Star Wars story with Han Solo and Lando (played by Donald Glover), which should be really damn cool.

Reactions: Jbagz
Uh. Huh. If you go by his appearances in the original trilogy, I can't remember him actually doing anything all that impressive. He stood in line with a bunch of bounty hunters, oversaw a "prisoner" transport of Han Solo in Carbonite, shot at our heroes and got knocked into a stationary pit by a blind man. R2-D2 is more badass than Boba Fett, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that the original trilogy was directed by 3 different directors. It wasn't till the prequels that Lucas ran the whole show, and given how he prioritized special effects over unnecessary things like writing good dialogue and properly editing the movie, he really should have just produced it and give himself a writing credit.

They are doing a Star Wars story with Han Solo and Lando (played by Donald Glover), which should be really damn cool.

I can't forgive Lucas for that JarJar Binx character that he let his kids design and whomever cast that crummy child actor to play Aninkin needs to be kicked into a stationary pit in the sand as @Roboyaru says.

I can't forgive Lucas for that JarJar Binx character that he let his kids design and whomever cast that crummy child actor to play Aninkin needs to be kicked into a stationary pit in the sand as @Roboyaru says.
You know what, there was this really awesome fan theory that I wish George would have followed and the general public would have given a chance. I am of course talking about how Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord. It went so in depth that they actually tried to make it seem that he was Lord Snoke in Episode 7. However nothing can excuse shitty writing, if that was the plan then they should have wrote the character better and or added more scenes or dialogue to say hey look at this, he isn't what he seems to be. That being said, as far as the actor was concerned yes they did a shitty job on the child actor and not to mention his scenes. I mean the entire prequels was fucked over by shitty acting in the lead roles, Hayden Christiansen being a whiny little bitch to what's his name not really knowing how to act. Not to mention the dialogue for the actors was very....well don't get me started. When I look at the original trilogy and look at Vader I sit there and I can no longer take him seriously as being a threat to intergalactic community after seeing him being a whiny bitch the entire time. The only thing that has somewhat redeemed Vader in my eyes is the animated series clone wars both 2D and 3D, Rebels, various games, comics and books. Other then that if you are a person who only watches the movies you will not take Vader seriously if you watch from Episode 1 to 6.

Reactions: Roboyaru and Jbagz
I think Deadpool won that Epic Rap Battle, they gave him the better lines.

I also never noticed how dumb Bobba's missile backpack was before.

Yes they gave DP better lines but still huge Fandom exists for both characters.

Bobba's backpack is awesome as it is a combined missile launcher and jet pack. So I honestly don't mind it.

Reactions: Jbagz
You know what, there was this really awesome fan theory that I wish George would have followed and the general public would have given a chance. I am of course talking about how Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord. It went so in depth that they actually tried to make it seem that he was Lord Snoke in Episode 7.

I've only watched the movies, I've never read any of the books, played any of the games, or watched any of the animated stuff.

However, if they had made JarJar a Sith Lord, I think meesa would have puked in the theater.

However nothing can excuse shitty writing, if that was the plan then they should have wrote the character better and or added more scenes or dialogue to say hey look at this, he isn't what he seems to be. That being said, as far as the actor was concerned yes they did a shitty job on the child actor and not to mention his scenes. I mean the entire prequels was fucked over by shitty acting in the lead roles, Hayden Christiansen being a whiny little bitch to what's his name not really knowing how to act. Not to mention the dialogue for the actors was very....well don't get me started. When I look at the original trilogy and look at Vader I sit there and I can no longer take him seriously as being a threat to intergalactic community after seeing him being a whiny bitch the entire time. The only thing that has somewhat redeemed Vader in my eyes is the animated series clone wars both 2D and 3D, Rebels, various games, comics and books. Other then that if you are a person who only watches the movies you will not take Vader seriously if you watch from Episode 1 to 6.

The only time I ever booed at the end of a movie was at that first prequel, I would have walked out on it if I didn't go with a couple of friends.

Rogue One certainly did do a good job of making Vader and the Empire fearsome.

Actually, those Imperial officers were scary as hell, like SS generals. They really sold the idea that the Death Star was something to be feared, much more than Vader.
Rogue One very much had the feel of a WII war movie. From the battle scenes with what looked like German potato masher grenades being tossed around, to the Nazi like officers on the Death Star, to the Rebel fighter raids, and most importantly to the heros going down one, by one.

It was a kick ass movie.