Safe to continue mass gainer or whey protein shakes while taking Clarithromycin?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a medical question and that I need to talk with my doctor about this and I already did.

Since I live here in Japan, the doctor isn't familiar with these products because bodybuilding isn't really a thing here.

He told me that "it should be no problem" but that isn't exactly the answer I was looking for.

I posted this same question in a bodybuilding/supplements forum but the people on there are mostly a bunch of dumb cunts that aren't friendly, helpful or responsive.

I thought I would ask on here because there are probably people that would know about this or been in the same situation as me.

I'm taking 200mg twice daily (every 12 hours after meals).

The products I have now are ON Whey Protein and ON Pro Gainer.

I don't take both of these ON powders at the same time. I'm just hoping I would be able to take at least the whey protein without any issues. Being able to safely continue the mass gainer would be even better.

Reactions: psd
What answer were you expecting from your doctor??
Not sure how taking protein powder would be unsafe on antibiotics.
But don't be too quick to trust us dumb cunts on the internet.
Look up Clarithromycin and see for yourself what interactions it has. I bet whey protein isn't one of them.

If you're truly worried, just stop with the protein powder stuff while you're on the meds....and maybe have some proper meat protein instead lol.

Last edited:
The only thing that is certain on this topic is that your doctor's advice is more reliable than TAG's.

-Ww

Reactions: Maxblack and MikeH
Great to see TJB is back and on full force.

If it was someone else I would ask what do you think would be the reason to stop taking protein while on antibiotics. Instead of a sensible question I will give you an unsensible answer: "stop getting any protein to your body until you stop the medication". So there, better than from the doc?

Slightly off-topic, but to be fair to TJB - I do think it's wise to sometimes question your doctor, do some independent research and/or get second/third/fourth/fifth/sixth... opinions :D
From personal experience: I've heard 'it's fine' before from two separate doctors, but I did my own research and from this, had a suspicion there was something wrong. In the end my suspicions were right, and I had to undergo some hospital treatment. Not all doctors stay up-to-date with current medical literature, and some are just plain cowboys imo.

What answer were you expecting from your doctor??
Not sure how taking protein powder would be unsafe on antibiotics.
But don't be too quick to trust us dumb cunts on the internet.
Look up Clarithromycin and see for yourself what interactions it has. I bet whey protein isn't one of them.

If you're truly worried, just stop with the protein powder stuff while you're on the meds....and maybe have some proper meat protein instead lol.

Well, I was expecting a more confident "Yes" or "No" type answer considering he is a doctor.

He even said "You should be fine" in a really unsure tone of voice.

I did hours of searching online and couldn't find any dangerous interactions between Clarithromycin and mass gainer or whey protein, but I also couldn't find any definite "No, they don't interact. I have used both at the same time myself" answers as well.

Last edited:
What do you think might happen if there is some kind of contraindication? Maybe your dick will turn green,shrivel up and fall off! Or maybe you will only be able to speak in single syllable words for the rest of your life! Ot maybe you will develop some kind of clairvoyance and you will be able to see who it was who put mayonnaise on your bicycle seat! Just give it a try. It will be either ok, or very good or very bad. We people here on the internet are here purely for entertainment and we want either very good or very bad, but I think it will be OK. Just never, never drink milk with tetracycline. Very bad.

What do you think might happen if there is some kind of contraindication? Maybe your dick will turn green,shrivel up and fall off! Or maybe you will only be able to speak in single syllable words for the rest of your life! Ot maybe you will develop some kind of clairvoyance and you will be able to see who it was who put mayonnaise on your bicycle seat! Just give it a try. It will be either ok, or very good or very bad. We people here on the internet are here purely for entertainment and we want either very good or very bad, but I think it will be OK. Just never, never drink milk with tetracycline. Very bad.

Yes, I once drank milk while taking Minocycline, which is in the Tetracycline "family" and felt terrible. The doctor never warned me not to drink milk when giving me the Minocycline...hence why I don't exactly trust doctors so easily.

I have had countless experiences like this with different doctors here in Japan, China and even the US.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yes, I once drank milk while taking Minocycline, which is in the Tetracycline "family" and felt terrible. The doctor never warned me not to drink milk when giving me the Minocycline...hence why I don't exactly trust doctors so easily.

I have had countless experiences like this with different doctors here in Japan, China and even the US.
:D
I love the « even the US » part !

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
There is no known interaction between protein supplementation and any antibiotics.

Actually, I would like to add that when I visited the doctor today they wanted to prescribe me Azithromycin at first but I mentioned that it made me feel terrible and that I'm most likely allergic to it. Then they tried to prescribe me Minocycline, which is the number two but that bothers my stomach as well. I requested Clarithromycin, which they said would be alright.

So after my urine exam, I quickly buy and take my antibiotic with me and rush to work. Come to find out, they gave me Minocycline instead of Clarithromycin. My symptoms were so bad at work that I decided to take one 200mg capsule of Minocycline.

After work, I returned to the hospital and got the Clarithromycin. The problem is I just drank about a half a cup of milk, but I should be alright though because I took the capsule about 10 hours ago...not sure how I will feel a little later actually...

Slightly off-topic, but to be fair to TJB - I do think it's wise to sometimes question your doctor, do some independent research and/or get second/third/fourth/fifth/sixth... opinions :D
From personal experience: I've heard 'it's fine' before from two separate doctors, but I did my own research and from this, had a suspicion there was something wrong. In the end my suspicions were right, and I had to undergo some hospital treatment. Not all doctors stay up-to-date with current medical literature, and some are just plain cowboys imo.

I completely agree. Note that I didn't say his doctor's advice was necessarily reliable.

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There is no known interaction between protein supplementation and any antibiotics.

I am pretty sure that was not an answer TJB was looking for. :rolleyes:

Another thing that is a bit strange is that although I took a capsule of minocycline at around 1pm, he said not to worry and that it would be safe to take the clarithromycin capsule tonight after dinner?

I realize giving the bacteria infection time to regain power by waiting to take the clarithromycin in the morning isn't good...but taking two different antibiotics in one 12 hour period can't be a good idea either right?

but taking two different antibiotics in one 12 hour period can't be a good idea either right?

Holy shit you are good, I promised I am not going to comment and here we go again...

Taking some facts into consideration (crazy idea, right?) like the one that the doctors sometimes do prescribe two different antibiotics at the same time to deal with difficult infections you will most probably not die for taking two different ones in succession.

Only thing that might happen is you get an upset stomach. If I was the doc I would though commanded you to wake up at 3AM to take the other one. Would have probably put you at ease better.

Nah, not safe
(Another lazy answer without reading the post, but hey it’s not necessarily a bad answer :))

***Disclaimer : I have absolutely no medical training nor expertise

I do possess above average research skills. (I know how to use Google)

TokyoJoeBlow's question is not as dumb as it first appears.

Doctors, Japan or otherwise, do not always have good information.

My current rehabilitation orthopedist told me it was fine for me to drink alcohol while recuperating from a femur fracture. Research informed me that alcohol suppresses the body's chemical mechanism to repair bones. I believed the research rather than my doctor.

Now, here's where my disclaimer comes in play.

This is what I found...

What is clarithromycin, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?

Clarithromycin is a semi-synthetic macrolide antibiotic chemically related to erythromycin and azithromycin (Zithromax). It is effective against a wide variety of bacteria, such as Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, and mycobacterium avium, and many others. Like all macrolide antibiotics, clarithromycin prevents bacteria from growing by interfering with their ability to make proteins. Due to the differences in the way proteins are made in bacteria and humans, the macrolide antibiotics do not interfere with production of proteins in humans. The FDA approved clarithromycin in October 1991.

https://www.medicinenet.com/clarithromycin/article.htm

In my non-medically trained mind, if a drug inhibits the body's ability to make proteins, it would be counter-intuitive to take protein supplements while on Clarithromycin.

I also found this answer to the question on a drugs.com site:

Can you take clarithromycin with workout supplements like whey protein, creatine, glutamine?
Asked
18 Feb 2010 by advengerpem9693
Active
18 Feb 2010
Topics
clarithromycin, creatine, glutamine

Responses (1)
JO
JohnySmith
18 Feb 2010
I think yes, in most cases clarithromycin does not interact with herbal supplements, however it is not recommended to take then at the same time

I have no idea who or what JohnySmith is.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/can-you-take-clarithromycin-with-workout-185534.html

And maybe someone as smart as TheScientist can interpret this:

Since that time, several other drugs?including cyclosporine, erythromycin, clarithromycin, propafenone, itraconazole, amiodarone, verapamil, and diltiazem?were noted to increase digoxin plasma concentrations. Although some investigators noted a reduction in digoxin renal and total body clearance, the underlying mechanism for these interactions remained undefined.

Some investigators suggested that antibiotics might increase digoxin absorption by inactivating gastrointestinal bacteria thought to metabolize digoxin in the gut.2 This mechanism, however, would appear to be incapable of raising digoxin concentrations 2- to 3-fold, because digoxin is well absorbed with a bioavailability of about 75%. Assuming that the intestinal bacteria were responsible for this reduction of digoxin absorption, the greatest increase in bioavailability one could expect would be about 25%. At that point, the bioavailability of digoxin would be 100%, and no further increase in concentration could occur by this mechanism. Another mechanism for the interaction was needed to explain the large changes in digoxin concentrations that had been reported.

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2004/2004-10/2004-10-4618

And maybe someone as smart as TheScientist can interpret this:

Since that time, several other drugs?including cyclosporine, erythromycin, clarithromycin, propafenone, itraconazole, amiodarone, verapamil, and diltiazem?were noted to increase digoxin plasma concentrations. Although some investigators noted a reduction in digoxin renal and total body clearance, the underlying mechanism for these interactions remained undefined.

Some investigators suggested that antibiotics might increase digoxin absorption by inactivating gastrointestinal bacteria thought to metabolize digoxin in the gut.2 This mechanism, however, would appear to be incapable of raising digoxin concentrations 2- to 3-fold, because digoxin is well absorbed with a bioavailability of about 75%. Assuming that the intestinal bacteria were responsible for this reduction of digoxin absorption, the greatest increase in bioavailability one could expect would be about 25%. At that point, the bioavailability of digoxin would be 100%, and no further increase in concentration could occur by this mechanism. Another mechanism for the interaction was needed to explain the large changes in digoxin concentrations that had been reported.

It's a discussion on the effects of antibiotics on digoxin, a heart medication, and how the interaction with various antibiotics caused a spike a in the amount found in the bloodstream, and how they aren't sure what's causing that.

Nothing at all to do with protein supplementation.

Reactions: MikeH and ur19877
Due to the differences in the way proteins are made in bacteria and humans, the macrolide antibiotics do not interfere with production of proteins in humans. The FDA approved clarithromycin in October 1991.

If there were any issues, it would be all over the internet and you would know about it.

I think Joe is worrying whey too much.

So, what else is new?

And think...

TAG would lose a bit of its appeal if TokyoJoeBlow found a way to allay his fears and anxieties.

tranquility.jpg

Thank goodness for walls!

hole in the wall.jpg

Reactions: Frenchy and ur19877
As far as I know your liver is responsible for breaking down protein. It could be overloading for your liver if you take antibiotics at the same time. Same reason why you are advised not to drink while you're on antibiotics. I'm not sure about "whey", but basic liver logic says stay away until you're done with antibiotics