So my wife and I are having a discussion about gossip and bullying with regard to culture...

Because then I usually cool down and find out that I'm wrong, or at least exaggerating the annoyance, and even if it's a real one I will certainly not change Japanese people , and I'm in their country so to some extent I need to adjust . Besides, I also notice that the advantages of living here far outweigh the inconveniences, and that it's not necessarily better elsewhere anyway.

So you assume I never cool down or admit I'm wrong sometimes but only you are capable?

Ok Jesus.

Because then I usually cool down and find out that I'm wrong, or at least exaggerating the annoyance, and even if it's a real one I will certainly not change Japanese people , and I'm in their country so to some extent I need to adjust . Besides, I also notice that the advantages of living here far outweigh the inconveniences, and that it's not necessarily better elsewhere anyway.
A perfect answer. The vast majority of the people in the world live in the same place they were born. And the vast majority of them complain about it. They think they would have been happier and more successful living someplace else. They learn that from watching all the happy and successful people on TV who are ..... someplace else. Frenchy, Mike, The Buta and some of us other vagabonds have actually turned off the TV, gotten up off our sofas and gone.....someplace else. And guess what? We are happy and successful.

A perfect answer. The vast majority of the people in the world live in the same place they were born. And the vast majority of them complain about it. They think they would have been happier and more successful living someplace else. They learn that from watching all the happy and successful people on TV who are ..... someplace else. Frenchy, Mike, The Buta and some of us other vagabonds have actually turned off the TV, gotten up off our sofas and gone.....someplace else. And guess what? We are happy and successful.

Ironically, I like this answer even better lol.

So you assume I never cool down or admit I'm wrong sometimes but only you are capable?

Ok Jesus.

No, you assume I assume that.
But frankly re-read a lot of your threads , it's obvious you have a beef with the Japanese and it's not so easy for you to cool down about it, otherwise you would not even bother to post about those grave, life-threatening issues here :)

Reactions: MikeH
No, you assume I assume that.
But frankly re-read a lot of your threads , it's obvious you have a beef with the Japanese and it's not so easy for you to cool down about it, otherwise you would not even bother to post about those grave, life-threatening issues here :)

It is funny that you mock me by saying all my situations are "life threatening" sarcastically because a Japanese woman hit me with her car when I was riding my bicycle two nights ago.

She didn't even care about almost killing me and she cried crocodile tears just so I wouldn't call the police.

She is lucky my bicycle and I are alright.

Last edited:
It is funny that you mock me by saying all my situations are "life threatening" sarcastically because a Japanese woman hit me with her car when I was riding my bicycle two nights ago.

She didn't even care about almost killing me and she cried crocodile tears just so I wouldn't call the police.

Sorry to hear about this... and eagerly waiting for your new thread on how Japanese are lousy drivers :D

Sorry to hear about this... and eagerly waiting for your new thread on how Japanese are lousy drivers :D
I agree with Frenchy on most of this silly exchange, except about drivers. Most Japanese ARE lousy drivers.

I agree with Frenchy on most of this silly exchange, except about drivers. Most Japanese ARE lousy drivers.
True but then again so are the frogs, yankees, brits, thais, spanish and basically any nation when I drive in their country :D

Reactions: warubuta and MikeH

You should have faked an injured neck and extorted about 500,000 yen out of her. That would have been the culturally appropriate thing to do. You would have learned that from your sempai if you only had the sense to believe in the sempai kohai system.

Last edited:
You should have faked an injured neck and extorted about 500,000 yen our of her. That would have been the culturally appropriate thing to do. You would have learned that from your sempai if you only had the sense to believe in the sempai kohai system.

That is too messed up to do to someone for me lol.

That reminds me of this old movie called A Million to Juan. Hilarious.

You would have learned that from your sempai if you only had the sense to believe in the sempai kohai system.

Yep, he just missed half a million, tax free. That's what you get for not believing the When In Rome thing.

True but then again so are the frogs, yankees, brits, thais, spanish and basically any nation when I drive in their country :D

You had to go that way when as easily you could just have gone for the woman in the wheel aspect. And it could have been easier to get the compensation payment from a woman, especially if you are bigger guy and can pronounce your words like the local yaks.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yep, he just missed half a million, tax free. That's what you get for not believing the When In Rome thing.

You had to go that way when as easily you could just have gone for the woman in the wheel aspect. And it could have been easier to get the compensation payment from a woman, especially if you are bigger guy and can pronounce your words like the local yaks.

My bicycle and I were totally fine. I only had a small bruise on my shin. There is no way I would go through the trouble to try to get money for this and I would feel like an asshole doing so.

It would be pretty embarrassing to pull up my pant leg to show the hospital staff what I am trying to get money for. I guess if I really wanted to go all out, I could have claimed emotional damages lol.

My bicycle and I were totally fine. I only had a small bruise on my shin. There is no way I would go through the trouble to try to get money for this and I would feel like an asshole doing so.

It would be pretty embarrassing to pull up my pant leg to show the hospital staff what I am trying to get money for. I guess if I really wanted to go all out, I could have claimed emotional damages lol.
Claim a neck injury. They do an MRI but cannot find anything. Claim that you have a shooting pain and numbness in your arm. This is what everyone does here. You know, there is a chance that the driver is a distant relative of the guy who spit on both your arms. What comes around goes around. Thats the way things work here. You need to screw people over in advance because you are definitely going to get screwed over yourself. Its part of the sepai kohai system. You screw your kohai because your sempai screws you. You know, by vitrue of me explaining this shit to you, in a way, I am your sempai.

Claim a neck injury. They do an MRI but cannot find anything. Claim that you have a shooting pain and numbness in your arm. This is what everyone does here. You know, there is a chance that the driver is a distant relative of the guy who spit on both your arms. What comes around goes around. Thats the way things work here. You need to screw people over in advance because you are definitely going to get screwed over yourself. Its part of the sepai kohai system. You screw your kohai because your sempai screws you. You know, by vitrue of me explaining this shit to you, in a way, I am your sempai.

I see that you are trying to be sarcastic, but you just accurately described how the sempai/kohai system really works lol.

Reactions: Mr Cat
Claim a neck injury.

Actually with most of the minor accidents you don't have to claim anything. Just tell the guilty side that you will be happy to solve this right here right now with a small donation.

I actually have a little experience in this area, having suffered a concussion, situational loss of memory, and a permanently separated shoulder with severed ligaments, due to a bicycle accident caused by an out-of-town driver on Enoshima Island.

You will get absolutely nothing-zero, for emotional damages suffered in an accident between a bicycle and an automobile.

Damages are awarded using a point system listed in an insurance guide. The level is determined by medical examinations from a hospital used to base a disability rating, along with age, profession, and earnings.

I consulted a Japanese attorney within a week of the accident-that helped tremendously. I also contracted an Tokyo based NGO that specializes in assessing damages in personal injury cases. A representative met with my doctor in Kamakura, just to ensure that the doctor's notes included key terminology.

Two years and a half years after the accident I was awarded just over 18 million Yen after attorney fees. It came as a nice surprise. I had expected 5 million-tops.

None of that included emotional damages.

I guess somehow they were able to deduct all your mental problems were already existing at the time of the accident? Maybe someone leaked your TAG username to them? :p

Sorry to hear about the damage to your body though, no amount of money can heal that. :(

I actually have a little experience in this area, having suffered a concussion, situational loss of memory, and a permanently separated shoulder with severed ligaments, due to a bicycle accident caused by an out-of-town driver on Enoshima Island.

You will get absolutely nothing-zero, for emotional damages suffered in an accident between a bicycle and an automobile.

Damages are awarded using a point system listed in an insurance guide. The level is determined by medical examinations from a hospital used to base a disability rating, along with age, profession, and earnings.

I consulted a Japanese attorney within a week of the accident-that helped tremendously. I also contracted an Tokyo based NGO that specializes in assessing damages in personal injury cases. A representative met with my doctor in Kamakura, just to ensure that the doctor's notes included key terminology.

Two years and a half years after the accident I was awarded just over 18 million Yen after attorney fees. It came as a nice surprise. I had expected 5 million-tops.

wonder how much you would have been awarded if the same thing happened to you in the US...

I guess somehow they were able to deduct all your mental problems were already existing at the time of the accident? Maybe someone leaked your TAG username to them? :p

Sorry to hear about the damage to your body though, no amount of money can heal that. :(

Appreciate the kind words. You are so right about that.

Ironic, my present injury from a bicycle is much more severe and debilitating and the only thing I get-or deserve-is help paying hospital bills through insurance. And I am thankful for that!