Guest viewing is limited

Sukiya, Matsuya, or Yoshinoya?

Mr Osaka

Retired
Reaction score
Ok so gyudon restaurants are my go to chowhouses before I go for some P4P action. There is a Matsuya near the shinchi that I frequent so I have grown to like it. My question is which one do you like the most? 😎

I also love Gyudon and go to Matsuya often out of convenience because there is one close to my apartment, but they are all fucking shit in my opinion 😅 (except for Yoshinoya's 牛すき鍋膳....really love this one, but that's not Gyudon)

....when it comes to Gyudon-chains by far the best is Sutadonya. Portions are excessive, so you can only go there after P4P and you wont be able to move for half an hour.....the other 3 big ones can't compete in the slightest

Last edited:
Reactions: Gina and cuckhimnow
Yoshinoya is goddamn vile. Never went to Sukiya and Matsuya was okay as in "if there is literally no other place to eat and I am hungry, I might go there in 1/10 situations".

When I want gyudon or similar stuff, I usually go to Tatsuya near Shinjuku station. Never seen another foreigner in there, the food is good, cheap and served quickly.

Reactions: Gina and Mr Osaka
Yoshinoya is goddamn vile. Never went to Sukiya and Matsuya was okay as in "if there is literally no other place to eat and I am hungry, I might go there in 1/10 situations".

When I want gyudon or similar stuff, I usually go to Tatsuya near Shinjuku station. Never seen another foreigner in there, the food is good, cheap and served quickly.
Yeah. I do not like Yoshinoya especially here in Osaka where it is swamped with salaryman drenched in sweat during summer.

For a while I was going to Yoshinoya, but honestly with the number of options I try to dodge rice before having sex; it always makes me feel bloated and more fucking disgusting than I already am.

If I need to eat immediately before a session maximum 2 onigiris or a drinkyoghurt. This is normally the unplanned after work evening sessions.

Otherwise I stick to Sukiya purely out of convenience but honestly don't like any of the chains that much.

Work till 5am so the all night Matsuya has become a staple. Absolutely love the fact that I can get a mountain of kimchi for 100 yen.

Work till 5am so the all night Matsuya has become a staple. Absolutely love the fact that I can get a mountain of kimchi for 100 yen.
Yeah. Matsuya's kimchi is something else. I especially love their new menu (kimchi soup) but it has been off the menu for about 2 days now. Its perfect for keeping your body warm this winter.

Off the menu for 2 days?

Say goodbye to your beloved kimchi. It's the curse of every place in Japan. They put up good stuff for a limited time and then just scrap it until it's back a year later. Same for the delicious chocolate chip melonpan that have been replaced with those shit strawberry ones.

Yea. I actually love their Kimchi soup over Sukiya and Yoshinoya's sukiyaki. Sukiyaki for me is just liquid dashi and mirin and nothing special LOL.

This thread gets me so nostalgic.

First Place: Matsuya, Kalbi Teishoku is a winner at 1:30am while staggering back to the hotel after a 6-hour drinking bout. Actually love the house dressing on the salad. The bibindon was my go-to pre-bar meal during my years in Osaka. Don't recall much about their gyudon.

Second Place: Sukiya, the gyudon was light-years ahead of anything at Yoshinoya. Plus I much-preferred their shouga, which I would pile high. I believe the one at my home station closed early, so this was more of a lazy Sunday morning pre-Umeda-Shopping breakfast.

Third/Last/Worst Place: Yoshinoya, the king of garbage meals. I was able to tolerate their gyudon when I was 22, but even then I stopped eating there after my first year in Japan. The only, ONLY positive thing that came from going there was I got to learn the kanji for "Omori" and "Nami," which was actually quite useful in Japan life. But that sickening, orange soup-base they cook the rubbery meat in still gives me heartburn just thinking about it.

But this brings me back to how awesome 7-11 is, especially in my older years when I'd probably fall asleep at the counter if I tried hitting one of these places after some heavy drinking. Nowadays, while staggering back to my hotel, I just pop into 7-11 and grab something to eat in my room. I swear, I can't get over how great some of their pastas are. The mabo-tofu is also fucking awesome. Grab that, a few 9% tallboys, a big cup of ice, tell the white-but-not-English-speaking-cashier to heat it up, stuff my fucking face at the hotel desk, pound my 9% soda and pass out with my clothes on.

I've also figured out that the 7-11 snacks are fucking amazing. Next time I'm back, I'm stuffing my backpack full of goodies before I fly out.

This thread gets me so nostalgic.

First Place: Matsuya, Kalbi Teishoku is a winner at 1:30am while staggering back to the hotel after a 6-hour drinking bout. Actually love the house dressing on the salad. The bibindon was my go-to pre-bar meal during my years in Osaka. Don't recall much about their gyudon.

Second Place: Sukiya, the gyudon was light-years ahead of anything at Yoshinoya. Plus I much-preferred their shouga, which I would pile high. I believe the one at my home station closed early, so this was more of a lazy Sunday morning pre-Umeda-Shopping breakfast.

Third/Last/Worst Place: Yoshinoya, the king of garbage meals. I was able to tolerate their gyudon when I was 22, but even then I stopped eating there after my first year in Japan. The only, ONLY positive thing that came from going there was I got to learn the kanji for "Omori" and "Nami," which was actually quite useful in Japan life. But that sickening, orange soup-base they cook the rubbery meat in still gives me heartburn just thinking about it.

But this brings me back to how awesome 7-11 is, especially in my older years when I'd probably fall asleep at the counter if I tried hitting one of these places after some heavy drinking. Nowadays, while staggering back to my hotel, I just pop into 7-11 and grab something to eat in my room. I swear, I can't get over how great some of their pastas are. The mabo-tofu is also fucking awesome. Grab that, a few 9% tallboys, a big cup of ice, tell the white-but-not-English-speaking-cashier to heat it up, stuff my fucking face at the hotel desk, pound my 9% soda and pass out with my clothes on.

I've also figured out that the 7-11 snacks are fucking amazing. Next time I'm back, I'm stuffing my backpack full of goodies before I fly out.
Used to like Sukiya a lot, but when I tried Matsuya for the first time, I did not look back. They have free miso soup, something you have to order extra at Sukiya, and also, Matsuya is generally cheaper compared to Sukiya.

Used to like Sukiya a lot, but when I tried Matsuya for the first time, I did not look back. They have free miso soup, something you have to order extra at Sukiya, and also, Matsuya is generally cheaper compared to Sukiya.

I forgot to pop into Matsuya during my trip last month so I have no idea what prices are but free miso soup?? I don't recall that from my time in Japan. That, and if they still have those 350-yen mugs of beer, might be a definite incentive to have a Matsuya reunion when I'm probably back this spring.

I forgot to pop into Matsuya during my trip last month so I have no idea what prices are but free miso soup?? I don't recall that from my time in Japan. That, and if they still have those 350-yen mugs of beer, might be a definite incentive to have a Matsuya reunion when I'm probably back this spring.

As far as I can remember Matsuya always had free miso soup in combination with gyudon or set meals.....

Reactions: Mr Osaka
No, no, and no, Matsuya is not good. Actually thinking about their Gyuumeshi makes me feel nauseous. Sukiya is ok for breakfast, but I mean a standard rice, Natto, salmon combo is hard to fuck up and you can get that at a lot of places at 6 am. I watched a friend eat the curry at Sukiya and then have a complete existential breakdown, questioning his place in life, after experiencing how disgusting it was. He said it was the worst meal of his life and even to this day it still haunts him.

With that said, Yoshinoya is actually really bad too. They used to be somewhat decent 10 years ago when they had the gyuunabedon and kimchi kuppa dishes. The quality has drastically decreased and the menu options.

So, I’m afraid Nakau is my answer. They are digestible.

Edit: I am horrified at how most people in this thread think Matsuya is good.

No, no, and no, Matsuya is not good. Sukiya is ok for breakfast, but I mean a standard rice, Natto, salmon combo is hard to fuck up. I watched a friend eat the curry at Sukiya and then have a complete existential breakdown, questioning his place in life, after experiencing how disgusting it was.

With that said, Yoshinoya is actually really bad too. They used to be somewhat decent 10 years ago when they had the gyuunabedon and kimchi kuppa dishes. The quality has drastically decreased and the menu options.

So, I’m afraid Nakau is my answer. They are digestible.

Edit: I am horrified at how most people in this thread think Matsuya is good.

Nakau is alright...lived directly above one for some time which "forced" me to go there often. What they have on the menu is ok except for their shitty Karaage.

Matsuya is not good, but the fastest/convenient service. Gyudon is ok, but their curry is atrocious. Tastes like they cooked sweaty socks for 12 hours to make the base.

Last edited:
I do like the three cheese guidon at Sukiya, but only when the weather is cold...

..or I'm drunk

..or stoned

Reactions: hrbb
shrug I like Matsuya. I often am looking for a meal at 3am or so, and I'd rather get gyudon + extra beef and egg, than a bowl of ramen.

I've also been to Tatsuya near shinjuku station a few times and don't find it particularly much better.

Reactions: cuckhimnow
Blasphemous to insinuate Tatsuya isn't much better.

I watched a friend eat the curry at Sukiya and then have a complete existential breakdown, questioning his place in life, after experiencing how disgusting it was. He said it was the worst meal of his life and even to this day it still haunts him.

Im either your friend or had a very similar experience to him.

Reactions: Sudsy
Notice you are talking about gyudon, one of the lamest dishes Japan has produced. It tastes quiet nasty by default.
That is blasphemy 🤯
...yeah, it is simple and doesn't have that much flavor but sometimes very simple things can be good. I mean you can always go for fancier versions with roast beef or steak...