The Anything Goes Thread

IMG_5525.jpeg

Tourists and train ticket vending machine queues.
I know someone who has been to Japan around 5 times and still never have bought an IC card.

Oh this also reminds me of the group of like 5-6 tourists crowding around 1 machine but blocking another one just by standing around being annoying. I just went up and asked them if they could move so I can use it and they were totally friendly about it like oh oops sorry... but have some situational awareness all the other machines were in use with lines behind them,

Reactions: joshuas and Sudsy
I know someone who has been to Japan around 5 times and still never have bought an IC card.

Oh this also reminds me of the group of like 5-6 tourists crowding around 1 machine but blocking another one just by standing around being annoying. I just went up and asked them if they could move so I can use it and they were totally friendly about it like oh oops sorry... but have some situational awareness all the other machines were in use with lines behind them,
I had just the opposite reaction today from some CCP followers.......they did move though.....

I had just the opposite reaction today from some CCP followers.......they did move though.....
I have had so many bad experiences with those groups too. I was once at a decent hotel, with a high-end breakfast buffet, and a similar group's members kept cutting in the line to get to whatever they wanted at any time. The locals were too polite to say anything, but I literally shouldered one away from getting in front of me, and they had the audacity to act shocked that I didn't just stand aside.

That type is truly the worst....

I have had so many bad experiences with those groups too. I was once at a decent hotel, with a high-end breakfast buffet, and a similar group's members kept cutting in the line to get to whatever they wanted at any time. The locals were too polite to say anything, but I literally shouldered one away from getting in front of me, and they had the audacity to act shocked that I didn't just stand aside.

That type is truly the worst....
I hip checked one that was trying to shoot past me to get on the train. Hockey fans would have really liked it.

I hip checked one that was trying to shoot past me to get on the train. Hockey fans would have really liked it.
Well done.

Reactions: Cinnabums
Goddamn, buying tickets for concerts in Japan is hard. Three concerts I wanna go to in July, all 3 locked behind electronic-only tickets that make it really hard to even use a proxy service.

Reactions: Alice
Lol. Just came here to post about tourists in Yamanashi and then saw your post.
I was going to moan about some Thai guy in a supermarket round the corner from that Lawson who was just fucking HOLLERING into his phone; and then YELLING at his group of friends about what food they should buy. Pretty sure he could be heard in Bangkok - and my mind was just blown that he didn't notice that NOBODY else in the entire supermarket was fucking yelling at the top of their voice.
But that Lawson story is nuts - that place is literally up my alley. And it is not far from an old fashioned shoutengai that has to put signs up asking tourists to stop just fucking walking out into the middle of the road to take selfies with Fuji in the background.
To be fair, I think the biggest issue with tourists around Kawaguchiko is just the sheer volume. Apart from Thai guy today, I haven't really seen too much bad behaviour around there, compared to Tokyo. Like, some wheelie suitcase dragging shithead couple dumped their entire umbrella's worth of rain on to my head a couple of days ago. I mentioned on here I think the Chinese tourists who dumped their empty cans underneath their table at a restaurant. Feels like much worse behaviour in Tokyo than Yamanashi.

My visit last November also kind of amazed me when it comes to tourists. Obviously every tourist thinks they're better than the other tourists but behaviour was noticeably worse than when I left in May. I only stayed in Tokyo but the number of people was incredible, definitely right up to 2019 levels (at least it felt like it).

But the kicker about this news is that now people can't just point fingers at all the "terrible Chinese" tourists because their numbers are on a 20 year low (75% fewer Chinese visitors compared to pre-pandemic). Japan being closed for almost 3 year, the rise of videos about Japan and the creation of Tiktok and rising popularity in shit like Instagram has most definitely brought in a shit ton of people from Europe who just want to go down their checklists of sights they want to see, take their pics, post them on social media to bait conversation and move on. Feels a bit hypocritical to gatekeep tourism now but man, some people really don't have any interest in the actual history or culture.

Reactions: Alice and bdole

Another good video making fun of all the weird videos of "polyglots" and what not telling everyone that you can totally get JLPT N1 within a year.

Another good video making fun of all the weird videos of "polyglots" and what not telling everyone that you can totally get JLPT N1 within a year.
The reality is that the N1 is just an ego booster or ineffective flex because it really boils down to being able to function in a job. Feather in your cap, great, but can you actually wield it?
The same goes for those Japanese with TOEIC scores of 800+ --- so many can pass a test but can be non-functional in a job situation where business fluency is required.

Reactions: Alice