Guest viewing is limited

Using Hello Talk to. . .

Curious if

Just for interest. Why did you chose to go back to your apartment? There’s always different reasons, cost, comfort. From my interactions, women use the trip to our apartments to assess us. Which leads to other problems.

One of the great aspects of Japan is the Love Hotel. If dates are going well, there is usually a LH nearby. Suggest visiting one, instead of going back to your place, cuts out a lot of bullshit. It’s fairly easy to work into a conversation. The 8k yen isn’t worth potential horror that comes with your home involved. Unless of course, you think she’s a keeper. But every women strings men along. It’s a balance.
Not OP and I know I'm late as I just saw your post.

In my experience love hotel pulls are the riskiest you can possibly try. They immediately set off alarm bells in the girl's head and she has to decide right then and there if she'll bang you or not.
Pretty sure any mention of a love hotel put the brakes on fast.

At least coming back to your apartment is lower risk as you have excuses like showing something in your home or giving her some souvenir

Last edited:
Reactions: hamsap
And this I could care less about. It gets the job done regardless of how it sounds, lol.

As long as communication works, who cares...since I mostly talk to girls I am pretty certain my Japanese is more on the feminine side. As long as I don't look like one 😉

I also find people hilarious that moved to Japan a few years ago with the mindset: "When I speak on the phone most people think I am native" .....lol, NO you delusional fuck.
If you learn a language later in life it will always sound a bit different and there is nothing wrong about it.

There are dozens of examples of brilliant academics holding lectures in their secondary language with heavy accent. Who cares how they sound like, it's about what they have to say.

Last edited:
You speak how you learn. When I first moved here, coworkers would laugh that I sounded like a girl. They told me I should speak to more guys to learn properly. So I focused on how J guys spoke. But then, my coworkers thought I was always drunk all the time.

If you learn a language later in life it will always sound a bit different

But when we say always it doesn't always mean always. Certainly depends what language is your mother tongue and what is the new language. If you are a native English speaker then yeah, your Japanese will usually sound a bit off. There are also a lot of academics who go on translating old Japanese classics to their own language and who can still not talk their way out of a wet paper-bag if they had to use Japanese.

I have been in a 15 minute phone conversation which ended the other party claiming I am Japanese and refusing to believe I am not. She was so adamant I had to go and check my passport afterwards. It was only then I realised my passport had expired so I was left confused. But as long as they don't ask me to write kanji by hand I will be passing any shop's language test at their door.

But when we say always it doesn't always mean always. Certainly depends what language is your mother tongue and what is the new language. If you are a native English speaker then yeah, your Japanese will usually sound a bit off. There are also a lot of academics who go on translating old Japanese classics to their own language and who can still not talk their way out of a wet paper-bag if they had to use Japanese.

I have been in a 15 minute phone conversation which ended the other party claiming I am Japanese and refusing to believe I am not. She was so adamant I had to go and check my passport afterwards. It was only then I realised my passport had expired so I was left confused. But as long as they don't ask me to write kanji by hand I will be passing any shop's language test at their door.

Yeah, most definitely....if your native language has certain similarities it is lot easier to get it right and sound correct, if the difference is huge probability is high you will never sound correct. Japanese will also have it easier to learn speaking Korean then French.

If they would ask Japanese people to write Kanji by hand at the door, most of them wouldn't be allowed in either 😆

I just found this thread after having started using HelloTalk in the past month or two (for legitimate reasons!) and I'm extremely skeptical of any guy that says its "easy" to hook up on there.

Women on there are exceedingly cautious of meeting at all or even carrying any sort of conversation more than like 5 lines. I haven't even had dating in mind, I just want to legit do language exchange in person. I'm not Brad Pitt handsome but I'm not unattractive by any means. I'm in shape, tall, have all my hair, good teeth/smile, and I'm well off financially. I'm 34 so I skew a bit older than the majority of people on the site, but not old enough that it should be considered like, "old".

What am I missing here? lol it screams bullshit to me when I can't even meet someone that the site was built for, much less for actual hookups or dating.

Reactions: zerosupblues
The presence of scammers & weirdos has ruined it for the rest of us. I joined in 2020 during COVID, I paid for a lifetime membership. Given the massive effort I made to contact hundreds of women, the results were pretty damn average.

One woman sent me nudes & HT banned me from live chats after that.

I just found this thread after having started using HelloTalk in the past month or two (for legitimate reasons!) and I'm extremely skeptical of any guy that says its "easy" to hook up on there.

Women on there are exceedingly cautious of meeting at all or even carrying any sort of conversation more than like 5 lines. I haven't even had dating in mind, I just want to legit do language exchange in person. I'm not Brad Pitt handsome but I'm not unattractive by any means. I'm in shape, tall, have all my hair, good teeth/smile, and I'm well off financially. I'm 34 so I skew a bit older than the majority of people on the site, but not old enough that it should be considered like, "old".

What am I missing here? lol it screams bullshit to me when I can't even meet someone that the site was built for, much less for actual hookups or dating.

Reactions: ThaWeeknd and Alice

I have used the app for about 8 months now. Women will not respond to messages if they don't know you. You can start making friends by going into the voice rooms and if you run into someone you want to be friends with, you frequent their room repeatedly and just talk to them. I have made a lot of friends this way. I am also meeting a bunch of them next month on my trip to Japan. But it takes time to build trust relationship with these girls

Last edited:
Yeah, it has gotten really bad.
At least for me, I post regularly and I try to get better at Japanese.

I am like sure, let me message some people to say what's up.

I only ever get replies and random messages from guys, and 1/50 women actually bother to reply.
It is genuinely nuts.

Really hope HelloTalk does something about this sooner versus later.
In the mean time, are there any other apps worth looking into?

Yeah, it has gotten really bad.
At least for me, I post regularly and I try to get better at Japanese.

I am like sure, let me message some people to say what's up.

I only ever get replies and random messages from guys, and 1/50 women actually bother to reply.
It is genuinely nuts.

Really hope HelloTalk does something about this sooner versus later.
In the mean time, are there any other apps worth looking into?

The only other app I see is Tandem but I personally haven't used it yet. Anyone have any intel on it?

On Hellotalk I can help people, correct hundreds of posts, engage in conversations, help in voice rooms, post moments and get absolute crickets. Meanwhile an average girl will post like "I'm feel sad today" and its got 30 likes and 12 responses from people offering consolation and guys throwing themselves at her DMs. Sometimes I think about how easy life must be as a woman who isn't even good looking, just not bad looking. There are throngs of lonely guys just waiting for even the illusion of a chance at merely speaking with you.

I just downloaded the app today, and one of the first 10 women I messaged already wants to meet up and get Indian curry for lunch. Let's see if she wants me to invest in crypto first.

Sometimes I think about how easy life must be as a woman who isn't even good looking, just not bad looking. There are throngs of lonely guys just waiting for even the illusion of a chance at merely speaking with you.
It isn't easy because the vast majority of these guys are unattractive losers who are completely repulsive to the vast majority of women. The hard part for women is filtering through all of the imbeciles to find a man for whom they actually want to open their pearly gates.

• Love
Reactions: Alice
I just downloaded the app today, and one of the first 10 women I messaged already wants to meet up and get Indian curry for lunch. Let's see if she wants me to invest in crypto first.
wtf, are you some kind of Greek God? How old are you? My biggest suspicion is I'm lumped into some "old" category because I'm over 30+ so none of these 20 somethings want to give me the time of day

My biggest suspicion is I'm lumped into some "old" category because I'm over 30+ so none of these 20 somethings want to give me the time of day
And this surprises you?

My biggest suspicion is I'm lumped into some "old" category because I'm over 30+ so none of these 20 somethings want to give me the time of day
Hide your age or raise your target demographic. Profile pic makes a difference too.

wtf, are you some kind of Greek God? How old are you? My biggest suspicion is I'm lumped into some "old" category because I'm over 30+ so none of these 20 somethings want to give me the time of day
I’m 40ish, as is the OL who wants to meet. There seem to be quite a few older people on this app, including married people with kids.

Could be a total waste of time, but we’ll see.

Good lord, the amount of crypto bots on there...

So far, I think the key to avoiding bots is to focus on the "moments" newsfeed, and to post a few of your own "moments" periodically so that you are discoverable. For example you can say that you're traveling somewhere, or hanging out somewhere, and then others in the area will potentially see it and message you if they are interested in meeting up.

I suspect that if you don't post some content through the feed as evidence of your humanity, women will think that YOU are a scam bot.

I suspect that if you don't post some content through the feed as evidence of your humanity, women will think that YOU are a scam bot.

To be honest, as someone who posts quite regularly, this still seems to be the case.

Honestly, it could be that everyone is posting and has better results. But from what I have seen by posting regularly (three times a week), and then probably commenting on a moment or two, it doesn't really go past that.

Just zero amounts of responses.

I said it before in here but I have met up with like a handful of people from HT and usually I'd just see an interesting moment nearby, check the profile of that person and if they didn't seem like a bot and maybe had some other interesting thing about them, I'd just message them about either the moment or one of their/our shared interests...