Guest viewing is limited

Vending machines and the environment in Japan

SugoiBoy

TAG Member
Reaction score
I do like the fact that there are lots of vending machines in Japan especially for hot and cold drinks, but in certain locations there are no recycling bins for bottles and cans. This is normally not a problem in train stations, but it can be a problem with vending machines located along sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. Often I haven't bothered to buy drinks because of the lack of recycling bins.

Personally, I feel that the owners of vending machines should provide recycling bins suitable for at least the items sold in their vending machines.

Reactions: ur19877
Who cares? The rule is to take the empty PET and store it away until you find a recycling bin. PET bottles are not recycled as promoted. They are either burned up or sent out into the Pacific to drift from her to Tin Buck 2. If you are not buying them, then you are doing a great sevice for the preservation of mankind by not further killing us by adding to the chemical exposure from the burning and the plastic ingestion from eating seafood. Yep! Keep on not buying PET bottles!

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2...c-fantastic-tokyo-recycle-waste/#.WiqeMjdryUk

Plastic bottles made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a common polyester resin, are scooped up in a wheel loader and dumped into a bin at the bottom of a compactor, which can ingest half a ton of bottles per hour. They come out the other end as 17-kilogram bales, about 40 centimeters a side, that hold the equivalent of 300 1.5-liter bottles. After processing, the PET can be used to make new bottles, fabrics and stationery goods such as Pilot’s Petball, a ballpoint pen that even looks like a PET bottle.

Recycling is BIG business here in the US, and the Japanese have turned it into an art form for speed of processing. I highly doubt anyone who set up the process is going to throw money away by sending it out to float in the ocean.

Personally, I feel that the owners of vending machines should provide recycling bins suitable for at least the items sold in their vending machines.

That would be nice considering you can't find a trash can or recycle bin sometimes for miles in any direction. Even at some train stations I've asked the staff and they don't have any.... And the whole "take your trash back home with you" thing is, to me, bullshit.

But I know, different country and all that. Wait til the Olympics in 2020.

I do like the fact that there are lots of vending machines in Japan especially for hot and cold drinks, but in certain locations there are no recycling bins for bottles and cans. This is normally not a problem in train stations, but it can be a problem with vending machines located along sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. Often I haven't bothered to buy drinks because of the lack of recycling bins.

Many of them done because what happens is people take bottles and cans from their house and fill the bins with them. I use to park at a coin lot that has a vending machine and would empty my car of pet bottles in the bin. The bin is now gone.

Let me guess; you heard that from your neighbour?
No from the J news and sometimes you gringos are misinformed about the tactics of NHK men and women. But no PET bottles are not recycled. What is the one thing needed to recycle them that PETs don’t have in rheir current state?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2...c-fantastic-tokyo-recycle-waste/#.WiqeMjdryUk

Plastic bottles made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a common polyester resin, are scooped up in a wheel loader and dumped into a bin at the bottom of a compactor, which can ingest half a ton of bottles per hour. They come out the other end as 17-kilogram bales, about 40 centimeters a side, that hold the equivalent of 300 1.5-liter bottles. After processing, the PET can be used to make new bottles, fabrics and stationery goods such as Pilot’s Petball, a ballpoint pen that even looks like a PET bottle.

Recycling is BIG business here in the US, and the Japanese have turned it into an art form for speed of processing. I highly doubt anyone who set up the process is going to throw money away by sending it out to float in the ocean.
You actually trust the J news? How wonderful that you believe that false reporting. Now that is a counter to the reality of the business of recycling in Japan. Fake news is meant to hide the truth not verify it. I believe the science here from just that proves how naive it would be to think that a bail of plastic with God knows what else attached to them just magically gives birth to new PET bottles. I find that to be equivalent to believing that there’s a magic pixie, Santa Claus and flying reindeer, when it’s just wonderful fiction. Keep on following that propoganda!

You actually trust the J news? How wonderful that you believe that false reporting. Now that is a counter to the reality of the business of recycling in Japan. Fake news is meant to hide the truth not verify it. I believe the science here from just that proves how naive it would be to think that a bail of plastic with God knows what else attached to them just magically gives birth to new PET bottles. I find that to be equivalent to believing that there’s a magic pixie, Santa Claus and flying reindeer, when it’s just wonderful fiction. Keep on following that propoganda!
PET recycling is mostly bottle-to-fiber, so-called “open loop”, which is actually profitable business.

No from the J news and sometimes you gringos are misinformed about the tactics of NHK men and women. But no PET bottles are not recycled. What is the one thing needed to recycle them that PETs don’t have in rheir current state?

Wait, you heard it from the J News, which you believe does false reporting? So you believe it because the people who do false reporting told you to.

You buy a lot of National Inquirer don't you? How is Elvis doing these days? Still working at the 7-11 in Kansas?

Reactions: MikeH
That would be nice considering you can't find a trash can or recycle bin sometimes for miles in any direction. Even at some train stations I've asked the staff and they don't have any.... And the whole "take your trash back home with you" thing is, to me, bullshit.

But I know, different country and all that. Wait til the Olympics in 2020.
They used to have trashcans but i think after the cult that started terrorizing the city, they removed them because people could put bombs in them. With how scared the Japanese are of "terror" nowadays, i dont see that changing.

They used to have trashcans but i think after the cult that started terrorizing the city, they removed them because people could put bombs in them.

Yeah, the trash bins disappeared suddenly in '95 though the sarin attack didn't have anything to do with them. And it is funny how they are scared about foreign terrorists when the attack was homemade and all Japanese.

Yeah, the trash bins disappeared suddenly in '95 though the sarin attack didn't have anything to do with them. And it is funny how they are scared about foreign terrorists when the attack was homemade and all Japanese.
To be fair, there are no terrorizing cults in Japan at the moment, and while there have not been other terrorist attacks in Japan either, they are scared of what happens in the west.
Its a bit far fetched but obviously the media blows things out of proportion and makes Europe look like it has changed into a dangerous wasteland and that Japan will soon follow.

Reactions: Ken1988 and MikeH
If you can't find a coin locker, don't risk trying to leave some luggage in a supposedly well-hidden place.
I can tell from experience that the Japanese are indeed very scared about terror, especially when the luggage has a gaijin name on it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I can tell from experience that the Japanese are indeed very scared about terror, especially when the luggage has a gaijin name on it.

Well, obviously if you were going to leave a bomb in a public place you would write your name in it, right?

Well, obviously if you were going to leave a bomb in a public place you would write your name in it, right?
You'd be surprised how careless lots of the Arab terrorists are about leaving evidence.

Yeah, the trash bins disappeared suddenly in '95 though the sarin attack didn't have anything to do with them.

It sort of did. They sealed over the bins after the attack in fear of a followup.... then they realised how much money they saved not servicing the bins in the month after the attack... and the bins vanished.

A Japanese acquaintance told me about the bins being removed for anti-terror reasons. I was bitching about it and that prompted further complaining about how they have no street signs in the event of an invasion. Guess they didn't foresee Google maps at the time.

Fascinating how things get blown out of proportion.

Reactions: MikeH
It sort of did

You are stretching the facts and twisting my words. So you are definitely my kind of people. :p

I should have said that the sarin attack didn't use or even didn't plan to use the trash bins for anything; and still they decided they need to seal them. They should have taped the toilets too and then they could have saved even more when they didn't need to clean and maintain them. :D

Reactions: Sudsy