Why So Cynical? (and Other Rants)

I don't know. I grew up taking care of myself (that was the first time since I was 15 that I ran from the police and managed to get away) and I consider myself a street guy. I just skipped town, laid pretty low and I left pretty, pretty, pretty far. Matsuyama is liek on the opposite side of where I am now and I guess when the police came to me in Ikebukuro whatever happened in Matsuyama probably had a statute of limitations that expired lol I don't know.
How would you rate Matsuyama as a city? I've spent time in Shikoku but mainly in Kochi. I've really only been to the castle and a few other spots in Matsuyama. I've never really interacted with the locals.

I still have a small number of good friends there but I can't go back because it just did not work out for me for reasons that could be a book. Another poster in the crabs in a barrel thread shared his experiences there as well since he was there until 15 years ago

Reactions: GoldenDalton
The franchise owner of Shibuya Hobgoblin (Brit pub) was off work a while earlier this year. I thought he musta gone back 2 England but heard the reason last week :cool:
Some J-customer was annoying him and he lost the plot and hit the guy. He was in jail for 3 weeks ( I think that's the maximum they can hold u for)
Usually in these cases, they never go to court. Compensation was probably paid to the victim and the Tokyo Metropolitan Police benevolent fund.
In over 2o years in Japan, the worst thing that ever happened to me was meeting a rude drunk in an elevator who asked me in English what I did 4 a living. I told him I was a 不法就労者 illegal immigrant and he threatened 2 call the police :joyful:

Last edited:
How would you rate Matsuyama as a city? I've spent time in Shikoku but mainly in Kochi. I've really only been to the castle and a few other spots in Matsuyama. I've never really interacted with the locals.

I really like(d) Matsuyama. It is famous for its hot spring Dogo Onsen and has a nice castle. If u like fish, the local produce is cosmic. A lot of nice islands nearby u can reach easily by ferry.

Despite these isol8d incidents involving Japanese on gaijin, the locals r real friendly and I got invited a lot 2 people's homes which almost never happens in To-town. My Matsuyama buddy living in Tokyo rarely goes back these days, he says its just too boring and economically in a slump. The nitelife is centred on a central area of 3 streets and mainly hostess bars

Kochi is a livelier town and also very pleasant. Out of the two, Kochi is more fun but Matsuyama got more 2 see

I also used to live in Kagawa. It was a really nice place. Takamatsu did have some foreign friendly places when I was there 5 years ago but they are now closed down. But the night life worked for me there, I guess. But I guess Matsuyama was just bad luck for me.

I've been in some "fights" here. Guys thinking they're going to rip me apart. They shove me, but they bounce off me. They throw punches, I duck and weave. "Come on bro, you keep missing", sidestep, trip, "oh you fell over, are you ok?". All that training and you can win fights with even fighting.

That is true. I do my best to avoid fights after my brother's experience in juvie and the shit I got into in 7th and 8th grade. But unfortunately, there are times that a man (tough or not) has to defend himself and his loved ones. I have been in a good number of fights outside a ring, but I think physically, I only started one fight in my entire life (just the one in Matsuyama) while all remaining instances it was self-defense. I don't pick fights with anybody. Like I said, I am about treating people the way you want to be treated and I sure as hell don't want people punking me for no reason when I did nothing to them, so I ain't gonna punk people.

But despite my bad experiences, like I said, I do have a small number of very good friends in Matsuyama who did have my back and still do. I heard the guy I fought was deported at some point but I never learned the whole truth. I just don't like the idea that he borrowed money from me to pay his ex-girlfriend to abort his kid or some other dude's, I don't know. I just didn't like how he scammed me and how his girlfriend like that treated me. The only regret I have is that I did that in a more open public area and not in an area where I could hide bodies.

The only other street fight I was involved in I didn't really fight. I intervened to help a guy at an underground MMA event where one guy was jumped by a good number of other men. He thanked me, told me he was yakuza and he said he would repay the favor some day if I needed anything. Stopping it was easier than I thought. I just said that it's not cool they are attacking one guy and they just simply stop and that he's had enough and that security was on their way. I offered to get him an ambulance or the hospital but he said he was all right. He just said it was nice of me to help out a stranger and then told me he was yakuza and they were falsely accusing him of something he didn't do. I didn't know the story before hand to buy it or not but I just can't stand seeing a guy getting mugged by a group of other guys when I was that guy during my early teenage years.

Sadly, I met him a little long after Matsuyama when I could have had a friend like that. Strangely enough, brawls between gyms and dojos happen relatively all the time at these unsanctioned MMA events. But it's nice that we do solve a majority of these incidents rather peacefully. Most of the time many of my friends and I have been requested by security to help the women and children in attendance and make sure they are safe. If I have children (or any that are out there), I am sure this will make a crazy ass story.

Another American friend of mine (who has no training that I am aware of and is a pretty average looking person) sort of had a similar incident a few years ago in Ikebukuro as well. He saw a yakuza attacking another yakuza near the station and nobody was helping (of course it is natural to be scared). He just stepped in and told him that there were cops in the area and the guy just said "sumimasen" and stopped beating the other yakuza and walked away. He helped the yakuza to the hospital and they have been homeboys since.

I probably should rename this thread to "fights!" -- Seriously, though, although the topic has veered off course, the content is very interesting to read

Some of you guys have some interesting stories to tell, my life in Japan pales in comparison.

The only things I experience regularly in Japan are road rage incidents. Either on the Tomei when people in 10 million yen cars are duking it via their cars or I've seen some cases where someone gets cut off and the guy jumps out of his car and starts whaling on the offending car (which promptly speeds away). Last one I experienced was in Hakone of all places.

The franchise owner of Shibuya Hobgoblin (Brit pub) was off work a while earlier this year. I thought he musta gone back 2 England but heard the reason last week :cool:
Some J-customer was annoying him and he lost the plot and hit the guy. He was in jail for 3 weeks ( I think that's the maximum they can hold u for)
Usually in these cases, they never go to court. Compensation was probably paid to the victim and the Tokyo Metropolitan Police benevolent fund.
In over 2o years in Japan, the worst thing that ever happened to me was meeting a rude drunk in an elevator who asked me in English what I did 4 a living. I told him I was a 不法就労者 illegal immigrant and he threatened 2 call the police :joyful:
It's easy for foreigners to get in this situation because there are some Japanese that will instigate and provoke fights with you. There are some extremely passive aggressive/micro-aggressive Japanese. They will insult you, curse you, bump you, get in your face, do bullshit behind your back,etc... It's especially worse when you KNOW Japanese. A foreign tourist may not realize they are being insulted.

Such instigator type Japanese assume the police will ALWAYS take their side. Unless the foreigner has eye witnesses that are willing to make written statements and testify on his side, or video evidence, then he can be done for. If the foreigner has his PR or is married, he might be able to survive the ordeal and stay in Japan, otherwise it can be deportation time for a fight he didn't start.

I advise that if you do get in a fight, WRESTLE. Catch-Wrestling or Submission Wrestling is the best, then Judo (old school, not sport style). I know Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is popular, but in street fights, you want to avoid the ground when possible and you want a strong emphasis on fighting from the standing position and maintaining control/dominant position.

Wrestling has saved my ass in Japan quite a few times. Slamming a guy and putting a knee in his chest makes you look like a boss, even with the police. But if you break a guy's nose from a punch, even if he started it, the Japanese cops are going to take the position it's your fault. Whoever did damage, usually by striking, is the one they blame.

And there are Japanese guys that will try to bait you into striking them for the explicit purpose of SUING you or getting compensation money.

If you do resort to striking, strike the BODY, not the face. Knees/punch to the stomach/liver and leg kick/leg trips work wonders. However, takedowns are better, as you can make the claim you were controlling the person from attacking you. Japanese cops understand a Judo/Wrestling perspective in fights.

Last edited:
It's easy for foreigners to get in this situation because there are some Japanese that will instigate and provoke fights with you. There are some extremely passive aggressive/micro-aggressive Japanese. They will insult you, curse you, bump you, get in your face, do bullshit behind your back,etc... It's especially worse when you KNOW Japanese. A foreign tourist may not realize they are being insulted.

Such instigator type Japanese assume the police will ALWAYS take their side. Unless the foreigner has eye witnesses that are willing to make written statements and testify on his side, or video evidence, then he can be done for. If the foreigner has his PR or is married, he might be able to survive the ordeal and stay in Japan, otherwise it can deportation time for a fight he didn't start.

I advise that if you do get in a fight, WRESTLE. Catch-Wrestling or Submission Wrestling is the best, then Judo (old school, not sport sryle). I know Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is popular, but in street fights, you want to avoid the ground when possible and you want a strong emphasis on fighting from the standing position and maintaining control.

Wrestling has saved my ass in Japan quite a few times. Slamming a guy and putting a knee in his chest makes you look like a boss, even with the police. But if you break a guy's nose from a punch, even if he started it, the Japanese cops are going to take the position it's your fault. Whoever did damage, usually by striking, is the one they blame.

And their are Japanese guys that will try to bait you into striking them for the explicit purpose of SUEING you or getting compensation money.

If you do resort to striking, strike the BODY, not the face. Knees/punch to the stomach and leg kick/leg trips work.wonders. However, takedowns are better, as you can make the claim you were controlling the person from attacking you. Japanese cops understand a Judo perspective in fights.

I advise that if you do get in a fight, WRESTLE. Catch-Wrestling or Submission Wrestling is the best, then Judo (old school, not sport sryle). I know Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is popular, but in street fights, you want to avoid the ground when possible and you want a strong emphasis on fighting from the standing position and maintaining control.

If the dude has cauliflower ears, then avoid him at all costs. But if the guy has cauliflower ears, he probably does Judo and/or MMA. Only grapplers these days get them though in the old boxing days, boxers used to get them, but I believe that Muay Thai fighters in Thailand have them due to practicing their version of the head clinch. My Muay Thai coach has them and he used to be a Lumpinee champion. But yeah, I did wrestle in my fight in Ikebukuro just to control and my wrestling is shit. But having the weight advantage did help. I was aware he had no back up from what little I saw and I could control. I didn't have to go for a submission.

If you do resort to striking, strike the BODY, not the face. Knees/punch to the stomach and leg kick/leg trips work.wonders. However, takedowns are better, as you can make the claim you were controlling the person from attacking you. Japanese cops understand a Judo perspective in fights.

If you're going to hit the face use elbows lol. I know a guy back home that does that shit.

If you're going to hit the face use elbows lol. I know a guy back home that does that shit.

No strikes to the face, including elbows. Elbows tend to cause CUTS. Last thing you want to do is be explaining to Japanese cops why the other guy has a gash across his head from your elbow.

Catch-Wrestling rules in Japan. If you don't want to go to jail or pay compensation money.

Lest anyone read this thread and come to the conclusion that Japan is a country of constant street brawls, I've lived here for years and never seen anything remotely resembling a fight. I don't care about nightlife much so I don't put myself in situations where I'm around drunk people very often. There's other vices I'd rather indulge than alcohol.

No strikes to the face, including elbows. Elbows tend to cause CUTS. Last thing you want to do is be explaining to Japanese cops why the other guy has a gash across his head from your elbow.

Catch-Wrestling rules in Japan. If you don't want to go to jail or pay compensation money.

Well, if you can claim self-defense with security camera footage and witnesses, conceivably, you can be off the hook. I wouldn't know. But it worked with me but I didn't use elbows. I felt I was in a position of safety back in Ikebukuro 2 years ago. But AFAIK, Japan does not seem to have anything similar to stand your ground laws or self-defense altogether.

Still, a submission hold could conceivably break a limb or break a trachea and you can get into equally as much trouble for cutting open a dude.
Take downs can also cause damage as well. You could probably dump a guy on his head or he could treat to limit the impact with his arm and end up breaking it.

But if I have to face five guys or so at once, grappling will be a bit more difficult if you are surrounded by crowds and all that. But combining striking and grappling in that situation does help. In more open areas in my experience it does help. If there are more than five guys, I want to be out of there and also try to get my friends or whoever I am with out of it.

The only instance where I have heard of grappling working with multiple opponents was my gym mate back in Arizona who got one guy and put him in a choke hold and used him as a "hostage" to freak out his back up. He told him if they don't let it go, he would break his neck. He got the guy he was holding to order them to stand down and it worked. Then again, that guy was a brown belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu and had those skills and he has a killer squeeze.

But looking back in my pre-teen years, I do recall in some instances that if I had any grappling training, or advanced training altogether, in some of the incidents I was in, it could have been beneficial.

Lest anyone read this thread and come to the conclusion that Japan is a country of constant street brawls, I've lived here for years and never seen anything remotely resembling a fight. I don't care about nightlife much so I don't put myself in situations where I'm around drunk people very often. There's other vices I'd rather indulge than alcohol.

Funny thing is, my two fights happened in public places in broad daylight with no alcohol involved whatsoever.

Japan is relatively safe in comparison to other countries and has no guns. Yes, I want to be clear about that. You are way LESS likely to have trouble than many other countries.

However, if you are here for a long period of time, Murphy's Law is bound to come into effect. And the Japanese are human, and do get into confrontations and fights.

Obviously, staying away from alcohol and any bars/clubs will reduce the chances of getting into anything. There is still bumping into racists/extreme nationalist, confrontational neighbors maybe complaining about noise, nuts on the train, being cheated out of money at various establishments or P4P situations, and bullies (which Japan clearly has).

It's better to stay alert and know what to do if you must protect yourself.

@jonnyboy

I have also been in fights in broad daylight and no alcohol involved. I've seen the totally unexpected happen. It can be as simple as bumping into a crazy person on the train.

I agree that if you are forced to fight multiple people, BOXING/Kick-boxing is actually the best. You must keep your balance and keep moving.

However, Wrestling helps to keep your balance and stop takedown attempts. So-called Wrestling in reverse. Throwing and tripping multiple people, and you staying on your feet, is also very effective.

However, the fact that you are fighting multiple people allows you to increase the amount of force necessary to ensure your safety, even under Japanese laws. Japanese cops would definitely be against a group coming after 1 person and if there are witnesses to back you.

In reference to Wrestling, I mean the ability to takedown and throw people, while keeping on your feet. Wrestling having a bit of an advantage over Judo (especially the sport version) because Wrestlers don't mind getting dirty and are not trying to use clean/perfect technique. As long as you keep top/dominant position and control the other person.

Yes, a submission hold can cause a limb to break, but usually you can control the pressure or apply pressure so that the other person is in pain and stops their aggression long before a breaking point. A proper non-lethal choke is applying pressure to the sides of the neck, thus stopping blood flow and making the other person go to sleep, and doesn't apply pressure to the front of the throat (damaging the air way/breathing).

Also in Catch-Wrestling, there are numerous non-lethal holds, where you are just controlling the person.

Last edited:
I will admit my bias since I am very shitty wrestler and I am at heart a striker. My exposure to pure wrestling is mostly with my brother who did it and taught me to wrestler and could use me as his practice dummy. And he loves catch wrestling and has books on it. Sounds like you two should meet some time and exchange notes.

Most of my other take down training was when I got into MMA. I met a former wrestler there who taught me about leg riding and I was a natural at it. Makes me wish I could have taken wrestling more seriously with a style like that and my brother never taught it to me. But using the take downs on concrete can probably mess up a person's back and there is the risk of dumping someone on their head. The take down I did against that guy in Ikebukuro was a single leg which is pretty much the only take down I can more or less do. Plus, I was much bigger than him so I put little to no strength into my take down.

I have not had to fight more than three or four guys since I was in eighth grade. With some possible fights under these conditions you don't know if they have knives or clubs or chains or whatever. When I was in the Air Force, I did learn grappling-esque techniques that were useful in multiple opponent situations but it also involved using weapons here and there.

The only time I recall I ever had to use a submission in a fight was when I was 13 and I had no training in submissions yet. A big guy tried to jump me by taking me down but I just copied what I saw on the old UFCs and in Japanese Pro Wrestling where I managed to get a front head lock, pull guard, get him in a guillotine, squeeze pressure and he was out. Sucked that I got suspended 2 weeks for it but I'd probably do it over again lol. These days, if I can get a guy on his belly and take his back, that would be my main objective as I once did. Conceivably I could apply a submission but regardless of having the ability to control the pressure, there is still some risk I feel won't have to take unless I have to. In a street fight, there will be no tap outs so it could be snap out or pass out if worse comes to worse. I have another friend I trained with back home who got into a fight at a restaurant and he just pulled guard and was able to trap the guy's arms and head and that was it. Witnesses also helped him get off the hook and when the cops showed up, they were still in that guard position and realized the guy on the bottom was just defending himself and trying to maintain control.

Fights from my personal experience since jr high and from what I have seen first hand except for seeing my yakuza friend getting jumped, most fights tend to be one on one or in some cases I have seen in unsancationed MMA fights, 10 against 10 when there are disputes between gyms/dojos.

Just today in St. Louis I witnessed a man fighting a man with Down syndrome.

At times like that I pine for Japan.

Reactions: jgirlcreeper
I know that recently a young man with down syndrome is trying to get into MMA. Was what you witnessed a fight or an ass kicking?

This is just a rant that I just need to write out, nothing personal for any of our members here. :)

One of the most irritating things about living in Japan used to be the Japanese people and their amazement about such basic things that any foreigner achieves. (such as food, utensils, language, etc.) Now, I have just come to accept that when I'm out in the countryside or meeting new people, it's just a fact of life here and that is not going to change.

Now, I find myself more irritated with some of the more cynical views of other 'non-Japanese' living in Japan. Outside of business dealings in a office environment, I have this knack for meeting some of the most cynical people living in and around Tokyo. These are the kind of people who obviously live in Japan (by their choice) but yet are so critical of everything that doesn't fit neatly in their little box.

There are a few different types of expats living here that fall into a few different categories. This is between fitting into society here or just simply living in an expat bubble that cannot be penetrated by anything that does not fit into their little world.

Admittedly, I have friends and business contacts that fill the spectrum from both ends. For today, I'm just exhausted from listening to some of these guys drone on about being here and how miserable they are. Instead of discussing new ideas and making progress, we circle back to how crappy things are for them.

Like any good businessman, I strive to find new ways to bring in revenue that will eventually help bring more financial independence to my life. Sometimes though, in order to achieve the goals I want, flesh must be pressed. Which brings us to another fork in the road, trust. It's been incredibly hard to find people that you can really depend on and trust. Whether it be a simple project or sharing a business idea, it's been difficult to find people that will commit to something. Or, simply be trusted with an idea that is in development, where assistance has been requested... but yet, that trust is betrayed.

This writing is not targeting one specific person or group of people, but just a general rant about some of the more negative, cynical people that do nothing more than just undermine someone's idea because they disagree (or maybe jealous?) with it.

TAG is a good example for trust issues. It's been very problematic to find people to trust to help run this site. We want to do more and expand, to provide a better end-user service. Obviously, Eliah and myself are the core operators with very strong support from Meiji (thank you sir) and of course the ever disappearing Karen. (To be more clear, people that we have spoken to about assisting with the site, were more focused on getting access to user data, to which we do not provide access to except 3 people.)

That concludes the Monday morning rant.

The nugget of advice for today: Step back and look at how you respond to people. Would you be viewed as being cynical or too self-centered?

Personally, every time a Japanese person is surprised I can use hashi, are amazed that I'm a foreigner and must stare at me, or is surprised that I can speak enough Japanese to say basics like "No", "Excuse", or "Where's the restroom", I become irritated. This has become a new pet peeve of mine, so it should go without saying that I'm often annoyed by people.

I mostly hate when other foreigners complain that there is nothing to in Tokyo. Also, I hate when foreigners say Tokyo isn't "foreigner friendly", because everything is not translated into English, or restaurant staff and department store employees don't speak some English. These things are just ignorant and annoying to me.

Reactions: cabbie
Personally, every time a Japanese person is surprised I can use hashi, are amazed that I'm a foreigner and must stare at me, or is surprised that I can speak enough Japanese to say basics like "No", "Excuse", or "Where's the restroom", I become irritated. This has become a new pet peeve of mine, so it should go without saying that I'm often annoyed by people.

I mostly hate when other foreigners complain that there is nothing to in Tokyo. Also, I hate when foreigners say Tokyo isn't "foreigner friendly", because everything is not translated into English, or restaurant staff and department store employees don't speak some English. These things are just ignorant and annoying to me.

Let's break this down a little, shall we?

Regarding the amazement factor on performing a simple task such as eating and speaking, it's just something we'll have to get used to. This society will never change because so many people believe that their culture here is unique and that it's viewed as impossible (by a majority) for a non-Japanese born human to survive here. Getting upset, irritated or bothered in any way won't solve anything. It certainly won't make you feel any better nor fix the core of the problem. It's just something we have to accept in this lifetime. Who knows, Japan may be a really changed country in another 100 years or so.

As for other foreigners complaining. This has two parts:

Part A - The resident held hostage: These are the people that are in Japan because their company has placed them here. Some of them are really well adjusted and others live in their little foreign-world bubble. People that complain that there is nothing to do here either don't have a hobby or don't have friends to go explore with. Admittedly, they may just be upset with their current situation. (Some of these expats have their families here while others are single and slumming it... that's a figure of speech before you get your panties in a bunch...)

Part B - The 'here-by-choice' transplant: These are the people who left their home country in search of a different experience or following a dream. Again, some of these people are well adjusted and do well here while others moan and complain about their position in life and in this country.

My overall opinion... some groups of people (mainly B) can simply pack their bags and head home if they are so miserable. The people in group A may have a chance to leave based on their rotation period, but they get a little bit of right to complain and moan if Japan really isn't their cup of tea.

Rarely do I venture to places where alcohol is served, but without fail, I'm sure I can walk into some local Hub bar and hear someone bitching and moaning about something related to Japan. So? Leave already if you're life is so miserable! Life's not better in your home country? Then, no one can save you...........

For myself, Japan is livable. I'm only really worried about the FX market and what that means for onshore and offshore investments.
Rarely would you hear me complain... If I'm complaining, it's because of how much we are getting gouged with airline fees/surcharges. (+ the reduction in baggage if I don't buy a first class or business class ticket. Economy? Ha, what a frigging joke. It was 'ok' when they at least let you take 2 bags at 23kg each....)

Ok, sorry... went on a tangent at the end there.

Reactions: Username1
As regards to the chopsticks thing.......I've used the "Wow!!! You can use a knife and fork" whenever the opportunity arises when its deemed necessary......

As regards to the chopsticks thing.......I've used the "Wow!!! You can use a knife and fork" whenever the opportunity arises when its deemed necessary......

I'd have to say that's an excellent response.... I will have to try that! lol!

Reactions: JayL