Guest viewing is limited

Your Favorite City For Living In Japan

Chocoballs

TAG Member
Reaction score
I've been living in Tokyo for many years and I would like move to another city in Japan. From your experience where did you enjoy living the most in Japan and why?

Kagoshima. The city is gorgeous, has plenty to offer for convenience. Not too busy, not a ghost town. Deep and rich with history (it was the birthplace of westernization of Japan, thus modern day Japan). And delicious food (shiro kuma shaved ice bowls, black pork, tuna katsu... So much happiness.

I'd consider retiring or managing a company/not business from there.

Amazon, rakuten and the like will be your best friend though :p

I haven't lived long enough in one of the smaller cities to decide if I could stay there long term, but I pretty much like Takamatsu. Somewhere near mountains for skiing would also be tempting, but didn't happen so far.

Among the places I spent significant amounts of time, it would be between Osaka and Fukuoka.
Osaka has most of everything that Tokyo has, but is a (tiny) bit less rushed and people are more open minded/easier accessible. The biggest asset however is the close vicinity to Kyoto and other great places like Nara etc. I really have a thing for Japan and can stroll those traditional areas for hours on weekends.

Fukuoka is probably the place the easiest to live at. Almost 2million, but everything within walking distance (well almost). Rent is much cheaper than Tokyo and there are quite a few affordable neighborhoods that are within walking distance(or cheap taxi fare) to everything, so no more last trains. Fukuoka has quite a few beaches, which is great in summer and being kyushuu the fish is great and there are a lot of nice onsen places nearby and on kyushuu. You can also take the ferry to South Korea, if you need some change. Did I mention that people are way more relaxed than in Tokyo ;)

Reactions: Chocoballs
I can't see trading the mountains and forest for the city anytime soon.
Cities are a great place to visit but the heat kills me.

Few votes for Kyushu on here. I'm a fan of Miyazaki. Nice beaches, not as humid as the main land...

When I first got here I was in one of the nondescript cities along the Seto-Nai-Kai. Hated it big time. Except we used to do overnighters in the bars and drink with the homeless people in the mornings.

I love Tokyo but i think i wouldn't mind living in Osaka either.
Awesome city, awesome people. Easier to make friends, better food, more playful atmosphere with all the big signs that make it look like a circus.

Reactions: Airnest
I haven't lived long enough in one of the smaller cities to decide if I could stay there long term, but I pretty much like Takamatsu. Somewhere near mountains for skiing would also be tempting, but didn't happen so far.

Among the places I spent significant amounts of time, it would be between Osaka and Fukuoka.
Osaka has most of everything that Tokyo has, but is a (tiny) bit less rushed and people are more open minded/easier accessible. The biggest asset however is the close vicinity to Kyoto and other great places like Nara etc. I really have a thing for Japan and can stroll those traditional areas for hours on weekends.

Fukuoka is probably the place the easiest to live at. Almost 2million, but everything within walking distance (well almost). Rent is much cheaper than Tokyo and there are quite a few affordable neighborhoods that are within walking distance(or cheap taxi fare) to everything, so no more last trains. Fukuoka has quite a few beaches, which is great in summer and being kyushuu the fish is great and there are a lot of nice onsen places nearby and on kyushuu. You can also take the ferry to South Korea, if you need some change. Did I mention that people are way more relaxed than in Tokyo ;)
Takamatsu does have a great park and I love strolling in Kyoto too but you almost convinced me to move to Fukuoka :)

I love Tokyo but i think i wouldn't mind living in Osaka either.
Awesome city, awesome people. Easier to make friends, better food, more playful atmosphere with all the big signs that make it look like a circus.
I do hear so often that the people in Kansai are so much more friendly. I would move there just to find out.

I should read more about Osaka food. Last time I went there for sightseeing I saw so maybe kushiage restaurants. Seemed like there was so much "junk food" compared to Tokyo.

Reactions: Black Mage
I don't mind living in Tokyo, but I really would like to have a place in the country for weekend and vacation living.

I'd stay in Tokyo - I'm just comfortable here and it feels like home now.

The original post does not mention if he needs to be able to access Tokyo easily or not, which makes a difference. There are wonderful places to live all over Japan.....a matter of taste. But if Tokyo access is needed, then the Shonan area is perfect..... The sea,beaches, clean air and an easy commute to Tokyo.....

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
i used to live in osaka for 6 month and kyoto for one (so not too long)... kansai was very nice for hiking for me, i loved living in osaka, since its somewhere between big and small, the festivals in summer had been nice, enough live houses and a nice city overall (never liked kyoto though... okay for a weekend, but thats it)...
sometimes i even think about moving back (under different circumstances)...
about the people, osaka people are loud and sound rude, but are friendly, kyoto people are calm and polite, but are unfriendly... i prefer cold tokyo people about warm kansai people anytime, anyway, but as many people say, its maybe easier to get into conversation, there... i cant tell for sure, though, because for me its nowhere difficult...
if i remember it right, there is more to explore in kansai, than it is in tokyo... or i just did more back then...anyway: osaka rulez!

Sapporo. I like the cold and snow. Good food and the girls are like snow angels. Outside if Tokyo folks seem nicer. Matsumoto was nice too.

I do hear so often that the people in Kansai are so much more friendly. I would move there just to find out.

I should read more about Osaka food. Last time I went there for sightseeing I saw so maybe kushiage restaurants. Seemed like there was so much "junk food" compared to Tokyo.
i used to live in osaka for 6 month and kyoto for one (so not too long)... kansai was very nice for hiking for me, i loved living in osaka, since its somewhere between big and small, the festivals in summer had been nice, enough live houses and a nice city overall (never liked kyoto though... okay for a weekend, but thats it)...
sometimes i even think about moving back (under different circumstances)...
about the people, osaka people are loud and sound rude, but are friendly, kyoto people are calm and polite, but are unfriendly... i prefer cold tokyo people about warm kansai people anytime, anyway, but as many people say, its maybe easier to get into conversation, there... i cant tell for sure, though, because for me its nowhere difficult...
if i remember it right, there is more to explore in kansai, than it is in tokyo... or i just did more back then...anyway: osaka rulez!
Osaka people... They are more likely to chat you up but also more likely to fight you.
As a foreigner from somewhere where people are pretty blunt i think Osaka people suit my own character best but i like how Tokyo people give me space and are not blunt to me.

The food, everything seems to taste better in Kansai..
If you like tofu dishes and good quality veggies, Kyoto is great.
I love Osaka's okonomiyaki.

Which neighborhoods in Fukuoka would be good?

Just quickly looked up some info for Fukuoka. Cheapest 1K apartment is like 35,000.

Tokyo. Tokyo is Japan. Moving too far away is an error; living anywhere else is a mistake; moving to Tokyo should be the goal... mandatory if single.

I've personally polled several Japanese in my area the very question of "where would you live if..." and almost all reply, "Yokohama" for its proximity to Tokyo (primarily) but I guess it has a fun atmosphere (lots of singles)? I don't know anything about Yokohama (never been there) other than I hear it has a large China Town.

Currently, I live in a veritable ghost town near Mt Fuji. It's a sad boring place. Being near Mt. Fuji one might expect the town and area to be beautiful but it isn't... it's all ugly nothing special about it at all (mt fuji itself is beautiful but you hardly see it). The one saving grace, if you can call it that, is that Shinjuku station is a 'short' two-hour commute via train & bus combo, which I make liberal use of as often as I can for socializing/shopping/culture/sex(P4P and civilian), or to put it another way, I go to Tokyo for literally everything (by necessity). My current town is admittedly small but even the 'larger' towns in my area (30 min away) are no different in practice. Anything smaller than a major city is devoid of single girls. Quite literally: zero single girls. It's a pussy desert. I've asked local Japanese guys in my area (including a bar owner) where they all are, all repeat the same thing: "...girls move to Tokyo as soon as they can" ... And it's a hard truth. Only mommies (families), old people (naturally) and Junior High school students seem to exist outside of Tokyo. Tokyo must be like some giant pussy-vacuum cleaner leaving greater Japan nearly pussy-less.

Fukuoka & Osaka (not small towns certainly) seem interesting and likely the only places I'd consider, but are very far from Tokyo and therefore give me pause. I do know a Japanese girl who moved from Tokyo to Osaka recently for her work, she loves it.

I think the bottom line is if you're married you can become hikkomori and live anywhere... you don't need the big city after that.

Last edited:
haha desert/dessert got me. fixed.

Not a dick move; glad you pointed it out!
Gotta own your mistakes. haha.

Last edited:
Not in the city, but close enough, over on Miura Peninsula, with views that take your breath away.

One of the many pictures I took on a bicycle ride.
P1040017.jpg

and another
nov 20 2012 bike sunset 025.jpg

Last edited: