Guest viewing is limited

Alternative to Bliss Out in Shinjuku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI, Bar440 will have the 6th anniversary events on this Friday and Saturday. New customers or customers who do not have the membership cards are not allowed to enter there during the 2 days.

Reactions: Joe2017 and Alice
Any place that doesn't mention it in the rules section XD.
I saw a girl with tattoos in Bar440.
Japanese tattoo style, called "Wabori", does matter actually. Because it is the symbol of Japanese mafia "Yakuza" and it is considered a definite taboo in Japan.
It seems "case by case". If you are a decent person and explain your tattoos in advance, I think they will let you enter the venues. I hope the venues are open-minded for international cultures and it is much easier to go into there than to go into Japanese public baths alone.

Reactions: SillyHilly
We are a Japanese male + Caucasian female couple. We became members of Olive 21 last year. This year, we want to check out Colors!

We are a Japanese male + Caucasian female couple. We became members of Olive 21 last year. This year, we want to check out Colors!
No worries on Colors. Because you already became a member of Olive21, which means the man's Japanese speaking level is quite high. If I were you, I would suggest to go Bar440 where is very popular among the local people. Just across Olive21. Hope you have fun!

https://bar440.jimdofree.com/

Yea off-white had a cool looking concept, but it closed awhile back. Probably they couldn't get enough people to go. I haven't tried colors yet since they have a no tattoo policy on their website, however I did have someone tell me it isn't super strict as long as it's not super huge and obvious.
I didn’t off-white closed. I would have visited more but it definitely had less of the warm vibe that I have come to like about visiting HBs.

Reactions: Gina
Probably my last update. I went to two more bars this weekend, papillon and harness in ueno.

Harness: a high class bar theme. By far the fanciest and most upscale happening bar I have seen. The bar counter is stunning and cost like 50,000$(the staff was very proud of it haha). The staff were actually the best part of the bar. Very fun to talk to. The playroom is a locked type that the staff brings you into. Woman can wear down to their underwear in the open room, but no nudity allowed and no sexual activities allowed. The people there were quite friendly and there were about 15 people there in the afternoon. Overall I did like this bar, but it didn't match my personal tastes. Japanese required here and health insurance required as well. I think this bar is a great choice for dressing up fancy and having a good night out drinking cocktails and having fun even though the price is pretty much the same as most other bars.

Papillon: a hang out space based bar but it is also very neat, clean and very new. This bar has absolutely massive promise. I really enjoyed it. They have darts, karaoke, board games, and even a Nintendo switch. There is also a mini fridge stocked with various shots of alcohol. People often use the shots for drinking games. The play rules are very open. If you want to use the playroom the staff have to let you in, but you can also do any play in the main room. The playroom has peeping windows and a separate curtain space for those who want privacy. Staff was very friendly and good to talk to. The owner used to work for colors in Shinjuku so it does have a similar feel. It seemed like a mix of a night club, bar, and open living room. Hard to explain but I mean it in a good way. Sadly we went on a day that had no people. It was the rope bondage event so it is very hit or miss. The staff said normally they have between 10-15 people during the daytime on weekends so I hope to come back eventually. I think this bar was my favorite in Ueno as it was closest to blissout.

Seeing as voluptuous (new blissout) will be opening the 23rd, I have one more weekend to try out new bars. Debating on trying olive21, colors for the first time or just going back to visit 440.

@jackoffinthebox

Thank you so much for your great review again!

- Harnes Tokyo
Harnes was opened by the 2 long customers of LUSK. The owners are very proud of the interior design etc.. But, I agree the venue is not yet to become open for foreigners.

- Papillon
I went Papillon twice, one day was a Saturday midnight. There were a lot of people but you can categorize into 4 groups: enjoying games outside the room, drinking, sleeping on the floor and having sex. We can take shots of Tequila from a fridge as much as we want. Another day was weekday afternoon. While playing in the room, I had to hear someone's anime song karaoke directly from the good speakers in the room. Unfortunately, we were broken the mood and we had to end with the foreplay only😂.
Karaoke is only available in the morning and afternoon of weekdays. No karaoke in the weekends. So, I would recommend you guys to go on the weekends, if you do not want to be broken the mood like me😂😂😂.
BTW, didn't Papillon request your Japanese health insurance cards? That is also key point for this conversation for foreigner-tourists. I thought they require the cards on sign up.

I do hope Voluptuous will be still open-minded like Bliss Out. They will open a new venue in the same place. That means risky and police will continue to mark the venue. Avoiding high risks from customers' side, we should wear any clothes outside the play area, at least underwears for men and underwears with no nipples shown for women, if not necessary.

Last edited:
@jackoffinthebox

Thank you so much for your great review again!

- Harnes Tokyo
Harnes was opened by the 2 long customers of LUSK. The owners are very proud of the interior design etc.. But, I agree the venue is not yet to become open for foreigners.

- Papillon
I went Papillon twice, one day was a Saturday midnight. There were a lot of people but you can categorize into 4 groups: enjoying games outside the room, drinking, sleeping on the floor and having sex. We can take shots of Tequila from a fridge as much as we want. Another day was weekday afternoon. While playing in the room, I had to hear someone's anime song karaoke directly from the good speakers in the room. Unfortunately, we were broken the mood and we had to end with the foreplay only😂.
Karaoke is only available in the morning and afternoon of weekdays. No karaoke in the weekends. So, I would recommend you guys to go on the weekends, if you do not want to be broken the mood like me😂😂😂.
BTW, didn't Papillon request your Japanese health insurance cards? That is also key point for this conversation for foreigner-tourists. I thought they require the cards on sign up.

I do hope Voluptuous will be still open-minded like Bliss Out. They will open a new venue in the same place. That means risky and police will continue to mark the venue. Avoiding high risks from customers' side, we should wear any clothes outside the play area, at least underwears for men and underwears with no nipples shown for women, if not necessary.
Yes papillon needs health insurance cards and requires japanese language. Forgot to mention!
The karaoke speaker thing is pretty funny, that definitely can ruin the mood hearing someone's bad singing XD.
I should also mention that papillon has probably the best police protection of any happening bar. They have 2 locks and the staff have an alarm that sets off an emergency flashing light(like a fire alarm) in the playroom and the main room. They keep extra clothes for people to put on if the police ever show up XD

I have never been to a swingers club, I was always too nervous to go by my self as a single male, but i now have a freaky new girlfriend that is keen to try it out with me as well.
I had heard of bliss out and we were going to try it a few weeks ago, and then I look up that it had closed, and there is all these raids going on.
Happy to have found this thread, might give some of the suggests a try, I don't speak much Japanese, but my girlfriend is Japanese.

One questions, does anyone know how strict they are with Tattoos, I seen on a few websites that they don't allow tattoos.

I was at Olive 21 last year for the first time, and both me and my partner are heavily tattooed. They allowed us in. And we met saw some other Japanese people with tattoos as well.

Last edited:
Olive21 asked people to cover them up in the bar area mostly, but they allow them.

Had a really hot swap with a tattooed Japanese couple last time I went there, and they are regulars.
I wonder if we met the same Japanese couple... They said they're there every week.

Reactions: Gina and Alice
No worries on Colors. Because you already became a member of Olive21, which means the man's Japanese speaking level is quite high. If I were you, I would suggest to go Bar440 where is very popular among the local people. Just across Olive21. Hope you have fun!

https://bar440.jimdofree.com/
Bar440 has an interesting tabehodai concept! Yes, I'm native Japanese, but living in USA.

Im planning to visit a HB this weekend but have a bit of trouble deciding which one , I live in Japan, speak japanese and have insurance card but my partner is just visiting.

I really like the vibes if 9259 and papillon sounds similar to it but as @jackoffinthebox had mentioned before you'll both need the insurance so does anyone know which happening bar that allows you to play in the main area and also have play rooms ?

Reactions: jackoffinthebox
Im planning to visit a HB this weekend but have a bit of trouble deciding which one , I live in Japan, speak japanese and have insurance card but my partner is just visiting.

I really like the vibes if 9259 and papillon sounds similar to it but as @jackoffinthebox had mentioned before you'll both need the insurance so does anyone know which happening bar that allows you to play in the main area and also have play rooms ?
9259 was closed down sadly.

Papillon allows play in open room and has a playroom with peeping windows.

440 in Shinjuku also allows play in the open room but no peeping in the playroom.

Arabesque allows play in the open room and semi peeping in the playroom.

Millefeuille allows play in the open room and has a magic mirror playroom.

Is your partner a woman? Usually it's not as important for a woman to have the health insurance card and can usually be ok with a passport. Best bet is to check with the bar before going.

Depending on the day(event) and time which bar is best will change. Papillon is very big so even if there are 50 people you can have space, but it can be very quiet during the daytime. 440 is very small so nights can be packed. Arabesque is medium size but usually has less people anyways. Millefeuille is super hit or miss for people and is a bit more cluttered than other bars(seriously a friend's house vibe) but has amazing food and 2 good playrooms.

I'll be going to a bar sunday afternoon(like 1-5), but not which one yet. Could be 440, colors, or olive21(most likely 440)

Yes my partner is a woman , so it shouldn't be a problem then I guess. I'll call in and check before hand.

I'm thinking to visit HB either on Friday or Saturday but I haven't decided but it'll probbaly be 440 , pappilon or olive 21. If anyone is interested to join , DM me !

I'm thinking to visit HB either on Friday or Saturday but I haven't decided but it'll probbaly be 440 , pappilon or olive 21. If anyone is interested to join , DM me !
Olive21 is NOT a happening bar. It's a couple kissa.

Thank you @Gina @jackoffinthebox and all posters in this wonderful thread! I spent the last 30-40minutes dissecting all reviews of HB mentioned 🫠

I truly appreciate the sharing of wisdom! As a foreigner resident with decent Japanese I’m excited to see all the options that I can explore 😱 might have to find a wing to help me navigate maybe the first time, but the crowd sounds beyond cool to get on with. Just wanted to say thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.