Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

Last edited:
I recently read an article from Europe were they tested blood donations and about 1% had antibodies. Obviously that's not a random sample, but the rate is similarly low like the SoftBank tests.

P.S. it was actually from Germany I think

I think the JPN government was hoping a combined 30,000 tests in Osaka, Tokyo and somewhere else would let them see if "herd immunity" had been obtained. Softbank's tests, apart from embarrassing the government, suggest it hasn't been obtained.

It probably means that a safe effective available vaccine is the only thing that will allow the Olympics to proceed in 2021 along normal lines ...... what is the chance of that?

I think the JPN government was hoping a combined 30,000 tests in Osaka, Tokyo and somewhere else would let them see if "herd immunity" had been obtained. Softbank's tests, apart from embarrassing the government, suggest it hasn't been obtained.

It probably means that a safe effective available vaccine is the only thing that will allow the Olympics to proceed in 2021 along normal lines ...... what is the chance of that?
Unlikely, we are all bored of coronavirus now and looking for statues of racist white people to throw in the sea.

Reactions: MossBoss

Depends who you ask. You can listen to that idiot Fauci, whose story changes by the week. Or you can follow Trump's twitter, which is about equally trustworthy. Fauci says he's "confident" that we'll have an effective vaccine by Q1 2021. Others, including Wall Street hopefuls, are saying it may come as early as September or October. Realistic expectations were always set at 12-14 months from this past spring. Just rest assured that the entire world is racing toward a vaccine, faster than we ever did for mumps, polio or even HIV. We'll get there, eventually.

As I understand it, having to work with boring ass scientists and epidemiologists at the state level here, there are basically two types of vaccines being pursued now. Inactivated virus vaccines, like the one we use for the seasonal flu, and gene-based DNA/RNA vaccines, like the one Moderna is currently developing. The problem with inactivated virus vaccines is that they can be potentially very dangerous if not tested on a massive scale, which means it takes exceptionally longer--historically, several years minimum to conduct thorough safety tests. For that reason, a lot of pharma corporations are looking at the DNA/RNA vaccines, which have shown a lot of promise in small-scale testing by stimulating successful antibody growth but still present major challenges including delivery method, as well as the fact that we have no idea how long those antibody/protein protections will last, particularly in the elderly, how often we'd need follow-up vaccinations and then there's the issue of them being more difficult to produce on a large scale. Also keep in mind that despite promising results in early clinical trials, not a single DNA/RNA vaccine has ever been approved for use.

Personally, I think the biggest challenge will come at the bureaucratic level. Once a vaccine is approved, since it will come in limited quantities, politicians will have to decide who gets it first. I'm guessing medical workers and healthcare providers will be first in line (after the Trump family, Congress and all their biggest donors), followed by those over the age of 65, and then maybe six months later the rest of us peons can get it, probably according to age bracket with kids being last.

And then of course there's the rumor coming out of Europe that the COVID-19 virus has already mutated into a less harmful version that's now beginning to circulate, which means that by the time we actually get a fucking vaccine for COVID-19, COVID-19 will be largely gone and replaced by its pussy nephew who at best can elicit a nasty chest cold. Whatever happens, I just hope we keep carpet-bombing all of China as a reasonable option on the table of solutions.

Reactions: Ken1988
It seems that the Tokyo government is a bit more aggressive in testing the contacts than before.

Are they still only testing people who have severe symptoms? Is there any way to test whether you have had it (or have it) with mild/no symptoms?

And 48 cases today... way to go Tokyo. :cautious:

20 from the start of screening all the hosts from the host bars. Looks like a lot of the new case numbers are from expanded testing, these are people that wouldn't have been tested before.

20 from the start of screening all the hosts from the host bars. Looks like a lot of the new case numbers are from expanded testing, these are people that wouldn't have been tested before.

I would guess the numbers will continue to rise...allowing for a 10-14 day incubation period from around June 1 when Tokyo "normalized".

They need to shutter all host/hostess clubs and equivalent clubs asap.

Round up all the hosts and quarantine them on a "Japanese" Island that China thinks it owns.:)

Round up all the hosts and quarantine them on a "Japanese" Island that China thinks it owns.:)

First time ever a Roppongi host could provide entertainment for a heterosexual male if they just live streamed the incoming missile attack.

Are they still only testing people who have severe symptoms? Is there any way to test whether you have had it (or have it) with mild/no symptoms?

If you are on a contact tracer's radar as a contact of the infected, you are normally asked to quarantine yourself for 14 days without being tested. It seems that now the gov is encouraging those contacts to be tested even without symptoms. It's still not easy to get tested as a walk-in without any acute symptoms.

It's still not easy to get tested as a walk-in without any acute symptoms.

It has become fairly easy to get tested here in the US. I’ve had a Covid 19 test and an antibody test (both negative) over the past month. Both times I just walked into a clinic without appointment and was able to get tested with only a short wait. Both were free of charge.

It has become fairly easy to get tested here in the US. I’ve had a Covid 19 test and an antibody test (both negative) over the past month. Both times I just walked into a clinic without appointment and was able to get tested with only a short wait. Both were free of charge.

It's the same where I live - a big city in the US east coast, but I'm not incline to get tested. Now the governor is encouraging everyone to get tested, but I feel the number of tests is his political target rather than for any public health purposes....

I understand that the testing capacity in Tokyo is ramping up - belatedly, and their contact tracing is becoming more like that of Korea.

It's the same where I live - a big city in the US east coast, but I'm not incline to get tested. Now the governor is encouraging everyone to get tested, but I feel the number of tests is his political target rather than for any public health purposes....

I understand that the testing capacity in Tokyo is ramping up - belatedly, and their contact tracing is becoming more like that of Korea.

so thats what years of political divisions create... people decide to get tested or not based on whether it will please X or Y politician ! :ROFLMAO:

so thats what years of political divisions create... people decide to get tested or not based on whether it will please X or Y politician ! :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I hate the governor. He is responsible for thousands' lost lives, but he claimed he saved tens of thousands...the tragedy is that from the start it became so political...every politician tries to get an advantage of the situation, which killed so many at homes, at hospitals, at nursing homes...I thought Japan would be safer than the US but didn't expect this much difference.

Honestly I hate the governor. He is responsible for thousands' lost lives, but he claimed he saved tens of thousands...the tragedy is that from the start it became so political...every politician tries to get an advantage of the situation, which killed so many at homes, at hospitals, at nursing homes...I thought Japan would be safer than the US but didn't expect this much difference.
Cut some slack to the politicians on this one ... they can’t be always held culprits of whatever shit happens... just get tested for yourself , not because of whatever side your governor is from

Someone said that the art of politics is to explain the inexplicable. Some politicians try hard, but without much success. (n)

Reactions: Frenchy
Someone said that the art of politics is to explain the inexplicable. Some politicians try hard, but without much success. (n)

Politician's only job is to get elected in the next elections. If he does then he has done a good job, nothing else matters.

If you're referring to Cuomo, he royally fucked up and is personally responsible for thousands of deaths after he forced nursing homes to take in COVID-positive patients...and he knows it. Prior to that, he was being heralded as a possible presidential candidate and excuse to shelve Sleepy Joe and relegate him to a retirement community. Now he's left frustrated, tired and angrily snapping at reporters. But I hear your body count yesterday was the lowest in months, so at least there are some signs of hope.

Reactions: Ken1988