Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

Yes, actually, it is sufficient for most people to comply.

Let's say we have 100 infected people who are quarantined, and the virus has a periodic R0 of 2.2.

If none of them are quarantined, there will be 220 infected people in the next round, maintaining the periodic R0 of 2.2..

If 80% of them obey self quarantine, there will only by 44 cases, for a periodic R0 of 0.44.

If the R0 drops below 1, the epidemic will burn out.

So yes, all you need is most people to cooperate.

That is true as long as those 44 new infections quarantine themselves at the same rate, but if they don't the next cycle is already back to about 100. So the question is if those 44 guys will be aware of their infection and most of them will probably not be aware of it, as we have flu and cold season, which happens to be much more common and have similar symptoms.

There is also a question if really a majority will quarantine themselves, if they live in poverty and very much depend on their daily earnings and the government doesn't support them, which would probably be the case for a number of people in SE Asia or Africa.

But the dead person is still dead.

He was already 88 years old, had high blood pressure, diabetes and was smoking. As it says in the cigarette box: "Smoking kills".

What is the other option? Locking everyone inside by force? Then you get one hurt when he tries to escape through the window and falls down, one gets mentally unstable during the quarantine and three of the soldiers guarding them get infected. :p

He was already 88 years old, had high blood pressure, diabetes and was smoking. As it says in the cigarette box: "Smoking kills".

What is the other option? Locking everyone inside by force? Then you get one hurt when he tries to escape through the window and falls down, one gets mentally unstable during the quarantine and three of the soldiers guarding them get infected. :p

That's only 3 new infections. That's remarkably better. It will just vanish in the next cycle;)

Reactions: MikeH
That's only 3 new infections. That's remarkably better. It will just vanish in the next cycle;)

Hopefully before you run out of soldiers to guard the quarantined! :p

Though if the quarantine works like in the Diamond Princess you will get 200 more infections inside the quarantine plus the three soldiers. And you still end with the same number of dead plus the ones who fall from the windows ;)

Let's get back to relative information please. Thanks.

Reactions: Sudsy
Plenty of companies in tokyo cancelling events, running meetings remotely now.

One good thing that may come of this is the faster acceptance of remote working. the concept of all going to an office 9-5 everyday is very dated and results in staff getting rewarded for perceived effort rather than actual output.

Cancel the Olympics!!! :p

Reactions: MikeH and Sudsy
Plenty of companies in tokyo cancelling events, running meetings remotely now.

One good thing that may come of this is the faster acceptance of remote working. the concept of all going to an office 9-5 everyday is very dated and results in staff getting rewarded for perceived effort rather than actual output.

While my workplace hasn't gone telecommute, we reduced our core hours and have up to ±2 on working hours as of 2 and a half weeks ago. I've been doing 7am-3:30pm and it's been quite pleasant.

Reactions: Majestyk
are clinics and hospitals here actually testing for coronavirus if and when people go in with cold or flu symptoms?
from my own anecdotal evidence, no they aren't. So I was wondering if anyone has been sick and got tested or knows anyone who has?

are clinics and hospitals here actually testing for coronavirus if and when people go in with cold or flu symptoms?
from my own anecdotal evidence, no they aren't. So I was wondering if anyone has been sick and got tested or knows anyone who has?
We had several employees tested after their 14 day quarantine as they had been to the region. All negative, but they had to ask for the test specifically.

To be fair, there are specific onset symptoms. Dry cough, then fever over 37.5 and shortness of breath. If these aren’t noted, better to save the tests for suspect cases to prevent them going into short supply.

I know a guy who knows a girl that knows this other girl whom dates this one guy that knows a guy that has gotten tested and is positive for coronavirus. Needless to say, I'm keeping my distance and have bathed in sanitizers.

You think I might now be infected as I have exchanged private messages with Lux?

I think I will consult the STD thread.

You're better off just diving into a bubble and never go outside.

I think I'll do everyone a favor and just cough in bags and send them to North Korea :ROFLMAO: At least then we can really start a biological warfare.

Reactions: just4fun
Are your workplaces taking any measures to prevent the spread of Coronavirus other than telecommuting (providing you with masks/alcohol cleaning sheets/etc.)?

I noticed that at my local Starbucks, Tully's, supermarket, etc. every staff member is wearing a mask (which might not help much but whatever).

My workplace, on the other hand, is doing nothing. We actually don't even have any type of cleaner and the desks are almost never cleaned. Two days ago we ran out of tissue paper and we can't even dry our hands after washing them. We also don't have warm/hot water to wash our hands.

No one here properly washes their hands. It’s depressing being in a crowded public restroom and seeing every woman lazily swipe her hands under the water for 2 seconds before running off... and yet they’re wearing masks to prevent illness. Oh, the irony.

People are racing to buy the PITTA masks. There was a huuuge crowd lined up in front of the Colorful Pop Store in Omotesando last week.

It helps people imitate the “political protester from a Visual Arts college” aesthetic, or look like an anarchist at heart, and it’s effective for dust & allergies. But not for coronavirus?

Reactions: Juliet and Ken1988
effective for dust & allergies. But not for coronavirus?

Since the primary vector as far as we know isn't inhalation.... no, not at all.

No one here properly washes their hands. It’s depressing being in a crowded public restroom and seeing every woman lazily swipe her hands under the water for 2 seconds before running off... and yet they’re wearing masks to prevent illness. Oh, the irony.

Still masks are effective in a way that they can protect their noses and mouths from being touched by their own dirty hands...yes, irony.

Reactions: Simonka
Still masks are effective in a way that they can protect their noses and mouths from being touched by their own dirty hands...yes, irony.

The irony is you might end up touching your face with your hands more when you have to correct the mask all the time. :p

Well, it's on tinder now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

20200219_072552.jpg

Masks are only a thing in Asia... so do people in Asia get less flu or colds than the west? Have masks even been proven to be effective?
Masks are effective when they are worn by the infected. When worn by the non-infected, the empirical evidence is that they actually have a negative affect, because they impart a false sense of security and the wearers are more likely to touch their face and eyes without washing their hands first.

edit: not sure how that extra quote got in there...

Last edited: