Do You Believe In Karma

bruv

TAG Member
Reaction score
Do you believe in karma? Random topic jus for the hell of it.

Came up from a conversation last night which included someone saying to me 'why does this always happen to me? I'm a good person'.
Personally I dont believe in karma, which surprised the person. I was gonna elaborate why I dont and poke holes in her 'why does this alway happen to me, I'm a good person' statement but this interested me more: She assumed karma was a default belief for most people, even if they hadn't actually thought about. Her reason was something like humans have an inbuilt need for hope, fairness and harmony. I never thought about that before. Maybe it's an Asian thing, but yo, lets see what you guys think.

There is no such thing as karma, the universe is a cold and heartless thing.

Now, retribution, both external and self inflicts, does exist, and is often mistaken for karma.

As does stupidity, which is the only universal constant aside from hydrogen. And the jury's still out on hydrogen.

I don't really believe in karma.
People don't seem to get punished or rewarded exactly for the things they do.
However, it certianly makes your life better to do good things for others and to create a positive energy around you.
You may not always get the thankfullness and rewards you hope for but it's a nice way of life.

No. No such thing exists. No explanation needed either.

Must be an Asian thing then.Or we're all a bunch of cynics haha

Asked a couple coworkers, 3 said yeah, 1 said no, 1 said no but even though he dont think he believes it, he naturally behaves as though he does. I guess along the lines @User#8628 says.

My thing is, its all based on your own subjective idea of whats good and bad, so karma cant be real.The girl from yesterday kinda had me wantin to believe tho...

Well, folks, I BELIEVE in Karma Chameleon!

But seriously folks, I believe, if you believe, karma is as real as the breath I breathe.

It's sometimes known, at least to moral people, as the conscience. It gives us pause to reflect on our own shortcomings and acknowledge them to ourselves. It inspires us to change our ways and perhaps undergo growth.

So rather than a spiritual entity, or evidence of such, karma may be a psychological force within us that mediates our inner, darker, selves.

Or not...

Last edited:
I believe that your emotions affect you strongly, and that the more violent and angry you are, the less happiness you will generally have. But I don't really believe it's that mystical or anything like that, just psychological.

I believe in the aphorism "You are not punished for your anger, but by your anger"

Off topic, but I have personally never heard hydrogen described as a constant. Not saying you are wrong, just curious where you heard this.

It's an old Harlan Ellison quote - literary "constant", not scientific. :)

Reactions: Wwanderer
OK, I may be opening a big stinking pile of #4%@ here, but I just looked over the forums to the Sexually Transmitted Disease (std) Talk forum and encountered the latest drama from one of my favorite TAG members (I am being both sincere and ironic in the that reference).

If anyone ever needed evidence of the power of karma, both in the spiritual and psychological senses, take a few weeks to peruse the multitude of his posts. I almost feel an outpouring of sympathy for the unfortunate soul.

I believe that your emotions affect you strongly, and that the more violent and angry you are, the less happiness you will generally have. But I don't really believe it's that mystical or anything like that, just psychological.

I believe in the aphorism "You are not punished for your anger, but by your anger"
Very nice quote!

it certianly makes your life better to do good things for others and to create a positive energy around you.

This and its reverse (making your life worse by doing bad things and creating negative energy etc) is precisely what many people mean when they use the term karma, and in that sense I definitely believe in it.

In its formal/traditional meaning in Eastern religious traditions it is closely associated with reincarnation and a much larger set of concepts concerning the world's underlying structure and morality. Imo, there is no compelling evidence either way for this sort of karma, but it is a really sweet notion imo.

-Ww

But seriously folks, I believe, if you believe, karma is as real as the breath I breathe.

It's sometimes known, at least to moral people, as the conscience. It gives us pause to reflect on our own shortcomings and acknowledge them to ourselves. It inspires us to change our ways and perhaps undergo growth.

So rather than a spiritual entity, or evidence of such, karma may be a psychological force within us that mediates our inner, darker, selves.

Or not...

This, very much this.

-Ww

Yes, I realise that. When I think of constants though, it is things like Avogadro's number, Planck's constant, speed of light in a vacuum, etc. which are numerical constants used to solve equations such as E=mc2.

The Big Bang formed protons, which are hydrogen in the H+ ion form, though it is not normally found like that. It still seems a little strange to me as you have elemental hydrogen, H, the more common diatomic hydrogen, H-H, as well as multiple anions and isotopes. Unless it is specified exactly which form you mean, just saying "hydrogen" is a little vague.

It also not clear what the numerical figure associated with it is. Atomic weight?

Who said hotness and geekiness don't go together!?

-Ww

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudsy
Reactions: cabbie
I am a believer of a vaishnavist philosophy. I am irreligious but I like the teachings. For me, the universe is like newton's third law of motion. For every action there is equal and opposite reaction. That for me is the natural law of the universe. I needed to believe into something, I want to believe into something. Thus, I would never do unto others what I wouldn't want to be done unto me.

Last edited: