Do You Believe In Karma

Uhhhh...well, while the info in the video you link is all correct, E=mc^2 is not normally described as an approximation (never would be closer to it) by physicists. Rather it is an exact formula for the "rest-mass energy" of an object (of mass m) or, equivalently, of an object's energy in its own frame of reference (relativity is all about frames of reference, of course). The momentum term discussed in the video must be added if you want the total (rest-mass plus kinetic) energy in a frame of reference moving with respect to the object. Are we off-topic yet?

More to the point of the immediate discussion, in physics "constants" are normally taken to be unchanging numerical values of some sort, as @User#16452 says, rather than objects (such as hydrogen atoms) with are not changing. It is just semantics of course, but she is definitely correct in terms of conventional usage in physics and other/lesser physical sciences (such as chemistry).

But on this day of the year, perhaps we should regard love as the most important constant in the Universe! :love:

(How's that for smooth finish!)

-Ww

I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of karma, but I do believe that in general 'doing good' is beneficial to myself and the world. I think people that are frustrated by not getting a result from being 'a good person' are probably doing it wrong. There's a lot of thought about how the highest forms of charity and doing good are to do those things anonymously and/or without expecting anything in return.

And I think the other half of this is not only being a good person, but having a good outlook on life, which the OP's friend doesn't seem to have. If you are able to look at the bright side even when "shit happens", life will often deliver better than your expectations.

I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of karma, but I do believe that in general 'doing good' is beneficial to myself and the world. ...

I'm surprised at you, of all people, going so far off-topic, @meiji ! This is a thread about Special Relativity, cosmology, atomic physics and chemistry.

-Ww

I'm surprised at you, of all people, going so far off-topic, @meiji !

Just trying to bring the topic full circle. :)

This is a thread about Special Relativity, cosmology, atomic physics and chemistry.

-Ww

I thought I'd made a wrong turn and arrived in TAG's Science and Technology forum. I'm surprised nobody's posted about the gravitational wave finding from this past week. :)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Rather it is an exact formula for the "rest-mass energy" of an object (of mass m) or, equivalently, of an object's energy in its own frame of reference (relativity is all about frames of reference, of course).
There's no such thing as "its own frame of reference". This is precisely what special relativity was all about. I agree that for large values of m and low values of p we can approximate with e=mc2.

In the end, it's that '=' that matters (pun intended). ;)

There's no such thing as "its own frame of reference".

Wrong.

That phrase is used to refer to the frame of reference in which an object is at rest, totally standard terminology in physics. Initially it was called the "stationary system" to distinguish it from other frames of reference and to acknowledge its key conceptual role in the theory:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

(Who would have guessed this link would ever appear on TAG, especially in a thread about karma? See what you started @Sudsy !)

-Ww

Last edited:
John Chavers said:
You don't solve E=mc2: it's an approximation for bodies at rest.

Mercy me, my level of education is limited to a Master of Arts, M.A, and all this complex scientific discourse is a universe beyond my experience.

For me E=mc2 equates to Ecstasy= multiple climaxes squared, with bodies in motion, not at rest, and alas, for quite some time, it's also a universe beyond my experience!

Much respect, however, for the intellectual capacity of some of my favorite TAG posters.

Which reminds me, whatever happened to that small hole in the wall? Maybe there are two of them and related to the recent gravitational wave finding regarding black holes?

Last edited:
Just trying to bring the topic full circle. :)

I thought I'd made a wrong turn and arrived in TAG's Science and Technology forum. I'm surprised nobody's posted about the gravitational wave finding from this past week. :)
That's easy to explain.....here.....pull my finger :p

Wrong.

That phrase is used to refer to the frame of reference in which an object is at rest, totally standard terminology in physics. Initially it was called the "stationary system" to distinguish it from other frames of reference and to acknowledge its key conceptual role in the theory:

You understand "at rest" really means "not accelerating", right?

Reactions: Sudsy
You understand "at rest" really means "not accelerating", right?

It means that but also more than that. Special Relativity doesn't really deal with acceleration at all, at least in its original (1905) formulation. General Relativity is concerned with accelerating frames of reference.

-Ww

Reactions: just4fun and Sudsy
I believe in karma.

I'm a christian, but im not catholic or the other church related stuff. I follow a doctrine called Spiritism, which might not be too well know outside of my country.
Long story short, we believe in reincarnation, but not as they believe in Buddhism. We believe that evolution only moves forward, and once your essence, or spirit achieves a certain level of consciousness, it doesn't go back. So, it doesn't make sense that we should reincarnate as a dog, or a moth, or a whale....

With that said, we undoubtedly mess things up, but we have to make it up somehow. Sometimes one life is not enough time, so you bring this amendments to be done to your next life and so on, until you purified your spirit through your journey of many many many lives. That is how I see karma, nothing more but your own resolution to get your mistakes right. Once we incarnate here we, ofc, we don't remember anything from our time in the spiritual world or past lives, for that might hinder our progress. For example, if i killed someone before, and now this person is incarnated as my son, so we can make things right. It wouldn't be nice for any of us to remember what happened.

So, karma is nothing more than you fixing up your own screw ups. It's not a bad thing, unless you make it be. As i like to think, it all depends on how you decide to face the situation that makes it good or bad.

I believe in karma.

I'm a christian, but im not catholic or the other church related stuff. I follow a doctrine called Spiritism, which might not be too well know outside of my country.
Long story short, we believe in reincarnation, but not as they believe in Buddhism. We believe that evolution only moves forward, and once your essence, or spirit achieves a certain level of consciousness, it doesn't go back. So, it doesn't make sense that we should reincarnate as a dog, or a moth, or a whale....

With that said, we undoubtedly mess things up, but we have to make it up somehow. Sometimes one life is not enough time, so you bring this amendments to be done to your next life and so on, until you purified your spirit through your journey of many many many lives. That is how I see karma, nothing more but your own resolution to get your mistakes right. Once we incarnate here we, ofc, we don't remember anything from our time in the spiritual world or past lives, for that might hinder our progress. For example, if i killed someone before, and now this person is incarnated as my son, so we can make things right. It wouldn't be nice for any of us to remember what happened.

So, karma is nothing more than you fixing up your own screw ups. It's not a bad thing, unless you make it be. As i like to think, it all depends on how you decide to face the situation that makes it good or bad.
Interesting, how do you know whats a screw up? Aint judging your belief, jus curious.

I mean if I bang a woman and she dont tell me shes married, is that my screw up, her screw up or no screw up? Far as biology goes, its jus two people getting at it, like you say only people add the good/bad to it

Reactions: Quietlife
Interesting, how do you know whats a screw up? Aint judging your belief, jus curious.

I mean if I bang a woman and she dont tell me shes married, is that my screw up, her screw up or no screw up? Far as biology goes, its jus two people getting at it, like you say only people add the good/bad to it

If you are driving your car on a highway and you have all the required licenses, paid all the required taxes, 100% sober and under the speed limit, then suddenly a drunk person jumps in front of your car and you end up hitting them, whose blame is it?

If you are driving your car on a highway and you have all the required licenses, paid all the required taxes, 100% sober and under the speed limit, then suddenly a drunk person jumps in front of your car and you end up hitting them, whose blame is it?
blame it on the boogie, yo ;)

For real tho, depends who youre asking. the drunk guy'd prolly explain the same events totally different...in other words there aint no one answer. Dunno what your point was...my bad.

To me karma jus seems like people's hope for meaning in their actions. even belief for beliefs sake aint a bad thing tho

To me karma jus seems like people's hope for meaning in their actions. even belief for beliefs sake aint a bad thing tho

That's your belief, and that's the point of the thread. I just explained mine. If theres any interest, there's a good wiki page about Spiritism that explains this stuff way better than i did.

Reactions: bruv
For all you folks that do not believe in karma, perhaps the following news article may cause you to reconsider:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...brags-hours-before-her-little-boy-shoots-her/

No gloating intended. It is, indeed, a tragedy for all involved, especially an innocent child.

Japan is not free from danger, but we are not nearly as likely to find ourselves, nor our loved ones, needless victims of Second Amendment extremists.

Last edited:
For all you folks that do not believe in karma, perhaps the following news article may cause you to reconsider:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...brags-hours-before-her-little-boy-shoots-her/

No gloating intended. It is, indeed, a tragedy for all involved, especially an innocent child.

Japan is not free from danger, but we are not nearly as likely to find ourselves, nor our loved ones, needless victims of Second Amendment extremists.
Nope! This did absolutely ZERO in me reconsidering my belief on Karma.

Reactions: Sudsy
Nope! This did absolutely ZERO in me reconsidering my belief on Karma.
Ditto. Reaffirmed my belief in not leaving firearms loaded, unattended, and within reach of children, though.

Reactions: roots reggae
Ditto. Reaffirmed my belief in not leaving firearms loaded, unattended, and within reach of children, though.
#'s 2 and 3 for sure......stupid women!!!

Reactions: roots reggae
Most esteemed TAG colleagues, justforfun and Sudsy,

Perhaps the example was an oversimplification relating the tragedy to karma. Your comments give me pause to reconsider. Upon reflection, I speculate that a more accurate analysis might be that the unfortunate woman, Jamie Gilt, may be more of a victim of her own hubris. Hubris may be much more easy to quantify than the elusive nature of karma, which requires a level of faith in the unknown, which is difficult/impossible to measure.

justforfun, I believe you hit the target: "#'s 2 and 3 for sure......stupid women!!!"

On the other hand, if karma does exist, perhaps it is a direct product of hubris.

I am, in no way, an authority on philosophy, just a simple soul trying to make whatever sense I can of the world around me-perhaps a futile quest, indeed!

So, thank you, justforfun and Sudsy, for stimulating my thought process!!!

Reactions: just4fun and Sudsy
#'s 2 and 3 for sure......stupid women!!!

Hey now - the women in my family are just as responsible (and accurate) with their firearms as the men are. They're just more likely to shoot south of the navel.