Guest viewing is limited

Here they come... the borders are opening back up. Sorta.

They also don't seem to share info across borders either. Not like the US / Canada or Australia / NZ seem to do.
They recently opened a fingerprint database sharing program with the US, but it's limited to the FBI and DHS, and (in theory at least) it's only accessible for a short list of 34 crimes considered "serious", like murder and human trafficking. That's the first data sharing program I'm aware of them having, the Japan Bar Association throws blocks in every time they try to ease cross-border access. With most countries it's a literal written request and paper records provided system.

Reactions: bergmann
Recent report on reentry at Narita:

interesting read. This one made me giggle…

A9EC111D-DAFF-4C16-A85A-0B5E18D57C84.jpeg

Recent report on reentry at Narita:

He was still lucky....Some people flew in from Seoul a few days ago were assigned to a hotel in Nagoya and transferred there by a charter flight. Some people flew in from Paris were assigned to a hotel in Fukuoka.. Some people flew in from SFO yesterday were assigned to a dormitory of the National Tax College in Saitama where there is no wifi...It's chaotic, but it's free of charge at the end of the day.

.Some people flew in from Seoul a few days ago
To Narita/Haneda? That's insane - we have so many vacant hotel rooms (around Tokyo) in all these new hotels that have barely been used.

To Narita/Haneda? That's insane - we have so many vacant hotel rooms (around Tokyo) in all these new hotels that have barely been used.
Yes but that would be too comfortable and easy.
People must suffer to come here now. Yokoso Nippon!

Yes but that would be too comfortable and easy.
People must suffer to come here now. Yokoso Nippon!
It's our tax money being used to fund these charter flights. Just seems like a waste or overkill IMHO.
But hey, most governments burn cash like they can print it.
Oh... wait... they do. :wacky:

It's our tax money being used to fund these charter flights. Just seems like a waste or overkill IMHO.

What is the thought process in that? "You might have a deadly virus so you cannot use the train; instead we put you in a plane"?

So far all "fly and quarantine" cases happened to those flew into Narita. A tweet says the passengers flew in from SFO today are assigned to a hotel in Sendai.

Reactions: TAG Manager
So far all "fly and quarantine" cases happened to those flew into Narita. A tweet says the passengers flew in from SFO today are assigned to a hotel in Sendai.
Yes, the idea is: if a passenger has got the virus, he should share it with other many international passengers as a punishment for having traveled overseas. It seems that those of us who must to travel abroad do not have the same rights to be protected from getting the virus.
BTW, I will fly to Europe in ten day. Adventure is free.

This alert was posted yesterday on the Twitter account of the US Citizen Services section of the embassy warned US citizens must bring proof of their immigration status and notify their consulate if they are detained. The alert added that several foreigners "were detained, interrogated and searched."
It is not my case, but has there been any TAG member stopped by police these days?
View attachment 17278
US embassy is always so dramatic with their alerts lol

@Keihan
Did you try to come to Japan earlier than anticipated? :D

If that were me, the moron probably would've been tweeting his shock and awe at witnessing an obviously overseas-educated Japanese national so adept at using profanity, racial epithets and misogynistic insults.

I'm not kidding. I once had two Mormons come up to me outside my NOVA branch and congratulate me on speaking English so well. I wanted to tell them I'd learned the language interrogating and torturing missionaries for the government...but they were so tiny and blonde and cute. Mormons, Morons, same thing.

Reactions: Frenchy
Ahh…. Enjoy Sendai folks. o_O

and it's one of Toyoko Inns in Sendai...and it was an accommodation for COVID patients with light symptoms.

It seems that some prefectural governments sublet some hotels they rented for the COVID patients to MHLW. Many of those hotels are empty now but the lease runs until the end of FY2021 (i.e. March 2022). Thus, paying charter flights to transfer arriving passengers to those hotels for quarantine is in a way reasonable and it can be operational from day 1. It's impossible to increase quarantine accommodation capacity quickly since it needs to be the whole building, be thoroughly inspected, to have logistics established, to be procured through a public tender etc. I'm a bit surprised to see J Gov forcing nobody to sleep in the airport - which happened in April 2020.

So far those arrived at KIX got the best deal - most of them are quarantined in Hotel Nikko. Haneda got better deals, including Hotel Villa Fontaine Shiodome, APA Yokohama Bay Tower. Narita turned out to be the worst.

Holy hell!
2 weeks in a Toyoko Inn. They'd need a suicide watch also. Luckily the windows only open a crack.

So far it's a 3-day detention there and they will be ferried back to Narita tomorrow to start the rest of their "voluntary" quarantine period (11 days) at the place registered in MySOS.

However, the detention could be extended to 2 weeks if anyone in your flight found positive with omicron. Even if you sat in the first row in the first class cabin and the infected sat in the last row in the economy cabin, you would be treated as a close contact. This is a risk factor you need to consider if you are planning to re-enter Japan right now.

Guessing with Omnicron it won’t be open this summer… shame I’d truly been planning on going after I graduated college for half a decade. Delayed it last year and won’t be able to delay it again due to grad school. Hopefully over a winter holiday…