Guest viewing is limited

How to get fired from your job

Actually, anyone who studies something other than basket weaving - even at a below average university can get a reasonable job.

If we are talking about the top universities (those ones which used to have Imperial in their names) then you can study basket weaving and still land a good job at the end of it.

Hell, you can even not study basket weaving, just register for those courses and instead of going spend your time playing baseball and drinking beer for the full four years and you still end up with a good job.

And to be honest that's what a big portion of those kids who this week started their studies actually end up doing.

But the fact is also there are now more places in universities than there are kids. So everyone who manages to graduate high school and wants to go to a university and has parents that can pay for that can get a place in university if you are not too picky. Of course that then means the value of the degree will fall; which is not all bad in my opinion. Hopefully there will be time when the employers actually try to figure out what you can do instead of looking at your papers only.

Of course that then means the value of the degree will fall; which is not all bad in my opinion. Hopefully there will be time when the employers actually try to figure out what you can do instead of looking at your papers only.
Doesn't really work out like that as far as i can see.
Instead of giving people a chance to prove themselves apart from qualifications, they just ask for more qualifications.

If we are talking about the top universities (those ones which used to have Imperial in their names) then you can study basket weaving and still land a good job at the end of it.

Here lies the beauty of university, which some non-graduates don't understand. Having a degree opens doors for people whether it is from a top university or lower level one.

A lot of people who graduate from university aren't necessarily much more intelligent than high school drop-outs. The difference is they might get paid ten times as much as a combini employee just for moving bits of paper around 8 hours a day.

Reactions: Simonka and MikeH
A lot of people who graduate from university aren't necessarily much more intelligent than high school drop-outs. The difference is they might get paid ten times as much as a combini employee just for moving bits of paper around 8 hours a day.
Welcome to my life.

Reactions: MossBoss
Doesn't really work out like that as far as i can see.

I did say "Hopefully there will be time", not that it is so now.

But that will happen only when there will be way fewer applicants per job than now. Nobody has time to shift through all that data so they use filters. One of them is your paper trail, in other words your certifications.

Nowadays people who don't go to university need to prove their value all the time, while those with a graduation paper have it much easier. Like the theme song of Malcolm in the middle says "Life is unfair".

Without a degree, I probably wouldn't have a job (or at least one which payed enough to allow any p4p indulgence). Having one can also help with Visas/migration into many countries, including Japan. So i think it definitely does open doors and is still a good investment in many places.
But on the other hand, where i live, there is some truth to what Alice said. I know a fair few university graduates who've been having trouble finding a job. Even the conbini/fast-food type jobs are hard to obtain since they highly prefer hiring teenagers or migrants (so they can pay less than minimum wage). And no, these graduates don't have basket-weaving degrees from mickey mouse university, but rather STEM degrees from an institution ranked above University of Tokyo (according to THE, not that it really matters). If they had their time again, i know some would have rather dropped out of school and learnt a trade (plumbing,carpentry,welding etc). There is good money in that, especially if you start your own business.

Last edited:
Nowadays people who don't go to university need to prove their value all the time, while those with a graduation paper have it much easier.
I spent 6 years of my life working my ass off and surviving on Cup Noodles to get those two "papers". If you think it's unfair, I don't care, the people who matter do care.

Reactions: Goiter
I hate it when I encounter combini staff who can't speak Japanese.
Some are even incapable of saying the most basic stuff.
Let's just deport them please.
And don't tell me the Japanese don't want to do that kind of job anymore because it's not true.
The combinis simply want to do social dumping wich will, in the end, make Japan become another shithole country just like France and the US just to name a few.
You don't like the Chinese convenience store workers because you are threatened by them. They are learning Japanese faster than you. They are smarter than you. They work harder than you and they accept lower payment than you, yet they save more money. Guess what? That little Chinese girl is going to be your son's or daughter's boss. Your kids are going to be changing her sheets and washing her car.

AHAHA !!!

The chinese combini workers I encounter don't speak basic Japanese, and they freak out when you talk Japanese to them.

Last year I had to teach several things to a Chinese coworker who now doesn't remember a thing.
Is that supposed to be remotely "smarter than me"?

I bet NOT.

You don't like the Chinese convenience store workers because you are threatened by them. They are learning Japanese faster than you. They are smarter than you. .

Reactions: bergmann
I mean i understand where the shop clerk is coming from, but kinda feels like he overrated. The girls look pretty young, so i would expect them to be super casual.
I feel like he over reacted too but I don't know what happened before and I think he must have had a really bad day.
what annoyed me the most in this video is the other customer saying "you'll be fired", like he's going to lose some great job most people dream of.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
This is very normal outside Japan, lol.
When i went back to my homecountry for vacation, i saw a woman behind the counter of a fast food restaurant throw napkins at a customer. I didn't hear the whole conversation but my guess is that he asked for napkins in a rude manner.
I don't completely disagree with it, customers don't have the right to treat shop staff badly.

Also i heard its quite hard for conbini to find staff, so he may be fine, even if he lost his job he should get another without too much trouble... until he fucks that one up of course, lol.
I remember once in France in a bakery I got scolded by the counter woman because she didn't hear my "bonjour" and said I was rude not to say it. Luckily other customers confirmed that I said it and instead of an apology I got a "ok then" :LOL:

AHAHA !!!

The chinese combini workers I encounter don't speak basic Japanese, and they freak out when you talk Japanese to them.

Last year I had to teach several things to a Chinese coworker who now doesn't remember a thing.

I bet NOT.

Dumb people are everywhere. Clever people are everywhere too. Just fewer of them. Highlights of my career (OK "career") in Japan include flying to both India and China to do $random_it_shit because the people on the ground were dumb. Still are, probably. Currently I work with people from India (and many other countries) who are way cleverer than myself. I learn from them. I can also take a game stab at the Mandarin (OK OK, Putonghua, 普通話 if you'll excuse the Japanese) pronunciation of their names. tl;dr: be good at what you do, keep at it, don't worry about what random internet people claim about $country_x being about to crush you into the ground. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and feel ineffably smug yet not complacent.

Reactions: warubuta
Dumb people are everywhere. Clever people are everywhere too. Just fewer of them. Highlights of my career (OK "career") in Japan include flying to both India and China to do $random_it_shit because the people on the ground were dumb. Still are, probably. Currently I work with people from India (and many other countries) who are way cleverer than myself. I learn from them. I can also take a game stab at the Mandarin (OK OK, Putonghua, 普通話 if you'll excuse the Japanese) pronunciation of their names. tl;dr: be good at what you do, keep at it, don't worry about what random internet people claim about $country_x being about to crush you into the ground. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and feel ineffably smug yet not complacent.
keep the water for more fertile lands than the beach sand you're trying to grow fruits in.

If you think it's unfair, I don't care, the people who matter do care.

Nowhere did I comment anything about fair or unfair, just stated the facts.

You should have chosen to get that degree in IT. Everyone I know who did ate proper food and still emerged with the papers and without student loans.

AHAHA !!!

I bet NOT.
I am amused to hear that your Japanese paymasters have forced you to work alongside Asians that you feel are inferior to you. They know you hate this and they are laughing behind your back. It’s payback for the war.

10559-quadruple-facepalm_w.jpg

I am amused to hear that your Japanese paymasters have forced you to work alongside Asians that you feel are inferior to you. They know you hate this and they are laughing behind your back. It’s payback for the war.

Nowhere did I comment anything about fair or unfair, just stated the facts.

Nowadays people who don't go to university need to prove their value all the time, while those with a graduation paper have it much easier. Like the theme song of Malcolm in the middle says "Life is unfair".

MikeH said:
You should have chosen to get that degree in IT. Everyone I know who did ate proper food and still emerged with the papers and without student loans
What you decide to study has nothing to do with student loans (well, within reason, medicine is expensive for obvious reasons)

I spent 6 years of my life working my ass off and surviving on Cup Noodles to get those two "papers". If you think it's unfair, I don't care, the people who matter do care.
And still its unfair. Maybe you have earned your degree through and through, but a lot of kids get to go to college on their parents' money and party through it without studying.
And someone else may have worked as hard as you have but had to use that money to take care of family members so could not go to university.

So i don't think its fair.

Reactions: kingaddictx
...but a lot of kids get to go to college on their parents' money and party through it without studying.
And someone else may have worked as hard as you have but had to use that money to take care of family members so could not go to university.

Come again?

It isn't fair. That's what life is.

Looking at the widely different probabilities for survival to age 5, much less for happiness or comfort, dealt by circumstance to a baby born in a hut in the undeveloped world and a baby born to a billionaire I can't imagine how fairness has anything to do with life in this world we inhabit. Good, bad, or indifferent - that's just the way it is.

Expecting life to be fair - based on any particular philosophical premise - seems to me like a guy expecting to get laid tonight just because he's good looking.

What you decide to study has nothing to do with student loans

Well, I worked in IT after the first year of uni and earned enough to get along with minimal amount of loan, so yeah, it does have much to do what you study.

Was 22 working at an electronics retail store. Lady comes in and asks where something from her vague description and gave her the directions to the department as we were busy and needed to take of other customers who were there. She flips starts yelling at me saying that is not how you treat customers and that I needed to show her and walks over to that department.

This bitch went to that department, complained to the departments manager about me and then asked for me by name, they then brought her back to my department, it was at this point I helped her.

The entire time all she did was bitch moan and complain about how I didn't help her. I asked her questions about what she was looking for and she said a battery and I had no fucking clue what type of battery she was looking for. I kept inquiring asking open ended questions to which she was rude and kept on saying, "I already TOLD you what I was looking for." Mind you, when you ask someone for what type of battery they are looking for in a ELECTRONICS store, you need to be specific, not it goes in a thing that does this thing. She also decided to say that she could buy everything in the store and if I went to college and said she went to some fucking Ivy League school.

I held back my frustrations and my anger and she continued on until she finally said a insult that sent me over the edge at which point I lost it and told her, "Fuck you, you're and ugly bitch both on the inside and outside. You are stupid beyond fucking belief, you can not answer simple fucking questions you entitled ass bitch. So take your flat ass, obese looking, double chinned looking, husband is fucking his secretary and that is the reason why he isn't fucking you ass, the fuck out of my store!! And if you want my fucking store manager is right there and she heard the entire fucking conversation!!!" Gave her the double bird and stormed off.

Surprisingly was not fired for that, since the bitch used some colorful language and stereotypes about me that pissed her off. It was close as I had to fill out a counseling chit and was put on some restrictions, attend a customer satisfaction training and diffusion training, as well as have a sales associate with me for an entire month. What was hilarious was that I saw her again 4 months later, she recognized me and didn't say a word.

I asked her questions about what she was looking for and she said a battery and I had no fucking clue what type of battery she was looking for.

Dude, you should have just sold her a battery. What's so difficult about it?

What type you say? The most expensive one with no return -policy of course.

Dude, you should have just sold her a battery. What's so difficult about it?

What type you say? The most expensive one with no return -policy of course.

The battery she was inquiring about when she came to my department which sells computers, lemme me stress this again my department SELLS COMPUTERS!!!! This dumb bitch asked about a battery that can go inside a camera. Then she flipped out.

We have MULTIPLE different types of batteries for different things and when you are not forthcoming about the information and purposely vague it doesn't help. The Manager of the Camera area brought her back upon request and asked for me. The manager also stated she was looking for a battery for a wireless mouse. So with that information, I began to go help ask her questions about which type of mouse she had, does she know the model so on and so forth. Again, different batteries different types. I still get mad thinking about it, 1 of 2 females that if I see ever again I will slap first no questions asked, it takes a lot to be put on that list.