Guest viewing is limited

I Discovered Another Form Of Micro Aggression?

Just came across this, which is germaine...

2qAm7D0.jpg

That is precisely what I'm inferring regarding freedom of speech. Not the literal meaning, but the figurative meaning in that often people feel limited in what they can actually say and want to say in concern of (often unintentionally) offending someone.

.......and the more offensive the better :)

.......and the more offensive the better :)
Particularly for the spectators within a group watching the person saying it as they are afraid to say it themselves. I always enjoy those debates.:eek::devil:
o_O:(:writer::finger::panda::jawdrop::bored::wideyed::mad::bear::rage::stop:(y):):yawn::banghead:

I agree that there is a line where offense may seem ridiculous, but, to be clear, taking offense to something never impinges on free speech.

If one feels they are frequently called out for being "politically incorrect", it's probably due to their willingness to share their offensive opinions--not the sensitivity of others.

Have you heard the case where Microsoft claimed the word "gay" was offensive and they banned one Xbox live user? That is a perfect example of how being politically correct can be retarded. What about people named Gay? I guess they are offending people when their name is simply called out lol.

There are a zillion other examples, but this one was particularly hilarious.

Reactions: split
That is precisely what I'm inferring regarding freedom of speech. Not the literal meaning, but the figurative meaning in that often people feel limited in what they can actually say and want to say in concern of (often unintentionally) offending someone.

I see what you're saying, but again, if you feel like you're constantly walking on egg shells trying not to offend people, there's a good chance it's because you hold some generally offensive opinions. I don't have this problem in my life where I feel watched by the PC police, or whatever.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Have you heard the case where Microsoft claimed the word "gay" was offensive and they banned one Xbox live user? That is a perfect example of how being politically correct can be retarded. What about people named Gay? I guess they are offending people when their name is simply called out lol.

There are a zillion other examples, but this one was particularly hilarious.

Well, sorry to the 4 people on Xbox Live actually named Gay. The hundreds of thousands (or millions?) of LGBT Xbox Live users feel terrible for them, I'm sure.

Personally, I believe the derogatory use of the word gay is offensive, and also unnecessary. Any intelligent person's vocabulary contains better negative descriptors than "gay" or "retarded".

Have you heard the case where Microsoft claimed the word "gay" was offensive and they banned one Xbox live user? That is a perfect example of how being politically correct can be retarded.

Sometimes, your intellectual prowess is rather astounding.

What about people named Gay? I guess they are offending people when their name is simply called out lol.

Personally, I'm always somewhat bemused by the number of ladies in our Taiwan and Hong Kong operations that, in choosing a Western moniker for themselves, for some reason or other settle on Fanny.

Sometimes, your intellectual prowess is rather astounding.

Personally, I'm always somewhat bemused by the number of ladies in our Taiwan and Hong Kong operations that, in choosing a Western moniker for themselves, for some reason or other settle on Fanny.

I will assume you are being sarcastic about my intellectual prowess...as that would be a more pc response than to outright call me something derogatory lol.

I see what you're saying, but again, if you feel like you're constantly walking on egg shells trying not to offend people, there's a good chance it's because you hold some generally offensive opinions. I don't have this problem in my life where I feel watched by the PC police, or whatever.

It's not myself I'm talking about! How do you assume I am having such problem??

Last edited:
Stepping outside myself and looking at humanity in general, maybe our primitive motivation systems are finally evolving...or maybe people are just tired of each others' bullshit.

The gay guy is tired of being called gay, the fat guy is tired of being called fat, the black guy is tired of being called black, etc.

Evolution of both people and society could both be what is fueling these new reactions.

They seem to use very old fashioned names a lot of the time. In University I had a girlfriend from Hong Kong who used to use the name "Beatrice" and when I tried to explain it was an old fashioned name and it made her sound like an old lady she didn't get where I was coming from at all. I think she said she got the name from a book or something.

They seem to use very old fashioned names a lot of the time.

I forget that Americans generally won't get this... for Americans, fanny is a cutesy term for your rear end. For most of the Commonwealth, it's a relatively vulgar term for the female genitalia, akin to how Americans view the word cunt.

I forget that Americans generally won't get this... for Americans, fanny is a cutesy term for your rear end. For most of the Commonwealth, it's a relatively vulgar term for the female genitalia, akin to how Americans view the word cunt.

I'm aware of this and I'm from the US lol.

Blame that on the Putitans. They still had me convinced some 400 years later.

Reactions: just4fun

I'm English I know this. When I was a kid on a family holiday to Disney World a random guy told my mum that he wanted to smack her fanny it was very disturbing. It just set me off on a tangent remembering Chinese girls in College and their old lady names.

I'm English I know this. When I was a kid on a family holiday to Disney World a random guy told my mum that he wanted to smack her fanny it was very disturbing. It just set me off on a tangent remembering Chinese girls in College and their old lady names.
Haha... Visiting the US (back when fanny packs weren't completely uncool) I was told that I had a cute fanny pack by a guy I'd just met :D

I was appalled.
"What did you just say?!" I demanded.

The poor guy.
He says something really innocent and I jump down his throat.

We sorted it out and I learnt a new word, but it was a much tenser first meeting than he had intended.

You're reading too much into it dude people do whatever they want and that sometimes means not being accommodating or answering to favors.

Really, I think OP just didnt understand how much of a big thing asking for that favor was. As many here explained, thats pretty much asking him to risk his livelihood by doing that. You basically were being `KY` (Kuuki Yomenai = unable to read the situation=obnoxious/ clueless about how things work here)

You should stop with that `Microagression` bullshit now though, This isn`t some college campus in America, The real world is much different. In Japan, as a foreigner, when you screw up like that, you often dont get another chance.

Really you shouldn`t have done anything extra with your lesson person if you`re trying to expect anything in return. Basically, People here will offer YOU opportunities, not other people they don`t know. In my opinion, You kinda screwed up, you have to learn from that, hell even back in the states I wouldn`t ask a STUDENT of mine to get a job for some they dont know. That`s just downright silly. If you wanted to help your friend, you should have did some googlling and helped him find work yourself (Ill help you out: www.daijob.com is a great place for your friend to start) Thing is he needs to have high level Japanese skills, if not He can just find a job teaching English while he studies the language, or just study while he`s in China.

Also. . .if him not showing up to class or answering your messages triggers you so hard. . .You`re going to be in a lot of pain for the rest of your time here. At least you apologized to him, so you really have no choice but to leave it at that. Let it be a learning experience for you and move on. You also need to stop being so buddy buddy with your students, your time is precious, dont waste it by hanging out with your students on your days off, unless you think he REALLY is going to hook you up with something good.(which is rare. . .it happens but rare) spend your free time trying to figure out how to advance your career rather than worrying about `microaggressions.` In other words:

Grow some balls man.

Really, I think OP just didnt understand how much of a big thing asking for that favor was. As many here explained, thats pretty much asking him to risk his livelihood by doing that. You basically were being `KY` (Kuuki Yomenai = unable to read the situation=obnoxious/ clueless about how things work here)

You should stop with that `Microagression` bullshit now though, This isn`t some college campus in America, The real world is much different. In Japan, as a foreigner, when you screw up like that, you often dont get another chance.

Really you shouldn`t have done anything extra with your lesson person if you`re trying to expect anything in return. Basically, People here will offer YOU opportunities, not other people they don`t know. In my opinion, You kinda screwed up, you have to learn from that, hell even back in the states I wouldn`t ask a STUDENT of mine to get a job for some they dont know. That`s just downright silly. If you wanted to help your friend, you should have did some googlling and helped him find work yourself (Ill help you out: www.daijob.com is a great place for your friend to start) Thing is he needs to have high level Japanese skills, if not He can just find a job teaching English while he studies the language, or just study while he`s in China.

Also. . .if him not showing up to class or answering your messages triggers you so hard. . .You`re going to be in a lot of pain for the rest of your time here. At least you apologized to him, so you really have no choice but to leave it at that. Let it be a learning experience for you and move on. You also need to stop being so buddy buddy with your students, your time is precious, dont waste it by hanging out with your students on your days off, unless you think he REALLY is going to hook you up with something good.(which is rare. . .it happens but rare) spend your free time trying to figure out how to advance your career rather than worrying about `microaggressions.` In other words:

Grow some balls man.

The funny thing about the "grow some balls" comment is that my issue is the opposite. My doctor has told me that I'm a high testosterone male. Maybe I need to keep my balls in check as well as keep the snake in his cage more often and surely all the time around the workplace lol.

Thanks for the link. I will send it to my friend.

The funny thing about the "grow some balls" comment is that my issue is the opposite. My doctor has told me that I'm a high testosterone male. Maybe I need to keep my balls in check as well as keep the snake in his cage more often and surely all the time around the workplace lol.

Thanks for the link. I will send it to my friend.

CJ_W must not be one of your loyal fans, otherwise he would realize the immensity of your balls:

balls.jpg

Tokyo Joe Blow no kintama wa, (TJBの金玉は)
Riyu mo nai no ni, (理由もないのに)
Bura bura (ブラブラ)

a_tanuki-transparent-found-on-web-TN_1.jpg

Good advice from Paul Kelly, TBJ.

Another thing I have noticed is a lot of Japanese people (mostly men) will suddenly cross their arms and don't uncross them until I'm leaving. They look like they are in a shitty mood as soon as they notice me a foreigner is around lol.

I will not call this a microaggression or racism/xenophobia, but just something I keep noticing that I wanted to share.