Guest viewing is limited

Japan Opening Up? From April 8, 2022 | Now October 11, 2022 - Normal Tourism.

Reactions: Frenchy
New article out this afternoon: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/24886a3c08b1cfdce1e104d1834a5a0f7fe2410c
岸田首相は日本時間5日、イギリス・ロンドンの金融街シティで講演し、日本の水際対策を6月に大幅に緩和する考えを示した。 岸田首相は講演で「オミクロン株の世界的拡大を受けて水際対策を強化したが、国内への流行をできるだけ遅らせ、医療提供体制やワクチン接種を進めるために必要なことだった世界的に見ても、日本のコロナ対応は成功している」とした上で、「現在では水際対策の大幅な緩和を実現し、6月には他のG7(=主要7カ国)並みに円滑な入国が可能となるよう水際対策を更に緩和していく」と述べ、6月に水際対策を大幅に緩和する考えを示した
The basic point is that the Japanese PM (Kishida) says he has intentions to 'significantly' reduce the border measures in June 2022. It says this would bring Japan more inline with other G7 countries.

99% chance that tourism still won't be allowed. (...knowing Japan)

Reactions: AsiaHand and MikeH
He is speaking about economics to business people and telling them "Japan is a buy" and then going to this part. So clearly it's targeted to people visiting for business and not tourism.

I don't see the visa waiver program being in the works yet.

If I were to take bets on this whole border control nonsense.

Here's what I think will happen.

1) Borders will ease for business travellers and residents over the summer.
2) Another strain of covid will break out somewhere and Japan will regress backwards again.
3) We might see tourists in the latter half of Q4 but more likely, 2023.

Don't shoot the messenger, I need that tourism money just like everyone else. :greedy:

Saw news reports saying they are allowing entry to Japan
Through group tours to facilitate flow and use it as a test run
-_-
If everything goes well, probably 2-3 months time they have an official opening for countries at low risk?

If everything goes well, probably 2-3 months time they have an official opening for countries at low risk?
That puts it nearly in Q4 as I predicted... and I'll clarify my comment above, that's for normal tourists and not these group tours.

Reactions: Doggyfong
That puts it nearly in Q4 as I predicted... and I'll clarify my comment above, that's for normal tourists and not these group tours.
I’m guessing that one of the key factors to affect the speed of allowing tourists will be the fx rate. BOJ is comfortable with it at 130 to the $. But if we start heading to 140-150 range, there is a massive amount of tourist cash that would help stem the slide.

Just FYI, the governor of the state of Hawaii will be traveling to Japan and is planning to ask Kishida, in person, to revise the travel restrictions for residents of Hawaii, presumably to allow them to resume visiting Japan (since Japanese are again flooding Hawaii for Golden Week). The same "travel bubble" thing that was suggested a year ago. My guess is this is much ado about nothing, as the writing is on the wall. Japan is reopening to international tourism before 2023 and it's going to be absolutely disgusting. Get ready, everyone!

"During the trial phase, small groups of foreigners would visit sightseeing spots based on fixed itineraries in order for the government to see whether it can grasp their movements and how to respond if a COVID-19 case is detected, according to the source.
The government will also consider requiring that participants have already had booster vaccine shots before the tours."

https://japantoday.com/category/nat...-to-resume-accepting-foreign-tourists-in-june

"During the trial phase, small groups of foreigners would visit sightseeing spots based on fixed itineraries in order for the government to see whether it can grasp their movements and how to respond if a COVID-19 case is detected, according to the source.
The government will also consider requiring that participants have already had booster vaccine shots before the tours."

https://japantoday.com/category/nat...-to-resume-accepting-foreign-tourists-in-june

sounds as fun as visiting North Korea! :ROFLMAO:

I guess that means no more PCR on arrival then. I’m not sure they can increase that capacity any more…

J Gov is working on a new set of admin procedures that make sure who pays the cost of health care/qurantine for a non-resident tourist without Japanese sponsor when s/he tests COVID positive in Japan, but that will take time. I guess all restrictions will be lifted in June except for the visa wavier suspension and the pre-boarding testing, with the introduction of vaccine (3 doses) requriment.

Please god, no. I'm already bleeding at the idea that I may need to go overseas with this weak-ass yen. :(
It's bad enough as it is.

I speculate there gonna be a short squeeze on April CPI figure (to be relased May 20, which can be as high as 2.5%) which pushes up JPY temporarily to 110.

Reactions: TAG Manager
introduction of vaccine (3 doses) requriment

Well, that'll keep the Chinese hordes at bay for a while since Japan doesn't recognize Sinovac as an acceptable vaccine. Sputnik as well, but I don't think we'll be seeing many Russian travellers regardless....

Reactions: Acid Burn
Please god, no. I'm already bleeding at the idea that I may need to go overseas with this weak-ass yen. :(
It's bad enough as it is.
No kidding, the imports here are already showing the effects. Went to buy some scotch and it’s up 75% from the end of year. It’s not just the yen that’s tagging it, but the materials at source, plus cargo rates. Don’t even want to think about Stateside prices given the last two years.

No kidding, the imports here are already showing the effects. Went to buy some scotch and it’s up 75% from the end of year. It’s not just the yen that’s tagging it, but the materials at source, plus cargo rates. Don’t even want to think about Stateside prices given the last two years.
Two words: Black Nikka
Still cheap and does the job