Guest viewing is limited

Just concluded my first trip to Japan! here are my thoughts and tips

BankerguyCanada

TAG Member
Reaction score
I thought i'd put together a thread here detailing my experience visiting Japan totally alone as a foreigner.
Hopefully i'll leave a few pointers and other visitors can see and use this thread and maybe get some guidance.

I was in Japan for 10 days then went to Hong Kong for a shorter trip.

I recommend staying at a hotel as close to the train as possible. Its just convenient when you're out shopping or sight-seeing and you want to go back to your room to get changed or drop stuff off or whatever. Also, when you go out drinking and get smashed its easy to get back to your room when its close to the train. Also, If you're taking a cab back home its easier to just say the station name (if you dont speak Japanese) "SHIBUYA EKI ONIGASHIMAS! "

When you're at the airport, get a bunch of those 72 hour metro/toei line passes. They're good for all the trains in the metro tokyo area except the JR line.

Google maps is essential. Get a sim card in japan or a overseas data plan. Google map saved my butt a LOT.

I flew in and out of Narita so I cant speak to Haneda Airport ...but i found the "narita express" an awesome and fast train to get from the airport to Tokyo Station. Its comfortable, affordable, easy to navigate if you dont speak Japanese.

I went to Hong Kong for 5 days after Tokyo and i didnt have as much fun. Tokyo is amazing. The city offers so much. Ideally, i could spend a week in each of the following: Roppongi, Shibuya, Tokyo Station, Shinjuku, omotesando/harujuku, Ginza ...going through all the side streets, shops, bars etc ... a day in each area there does not do them justice.

Its useful to know some basic Japanese...even in Tokyo. I have a vocab of about 200 or so words...and i cant really form sentences... but at this level i was fine. I could order food, ask directions, talk to strangers lol and I really had no problem. But if you speak zero, then you're going to struggle at times.

Unlike North America, people pay CASH everywhere!!! wow. There are no ATMS in Japan.....or at least it seems like it. Cash Cash Cash.

Tokyo people are super friendly. I had strangers come up and start conversations with me...that was surprising from what i read before coming to Tokyo. I was in the big smoking area near shinjuku station and it took me a full minute to light my cigarette since my lighter was just about out of fuel. Random Japanese dude with broken English approached me and offered me a lighter to keep since he had two "my-u, giftu for you".
Wow! thats friendly!

Download "LINE". Its a chat application. Similar to how Koreans use Kakao-talk. If you make friends or hook-ups in Tokyo, you will need this application. I"m sure this is painfully obvious to most of the people on this forum but a lot of foreigners will not know this and find it useful,

The last general tip i can offer is to KNOW LOCALS. I knew 6 girls now living in Tokyo from when they were studying English in Toronto. They were useful ...they helped me out when i was confused with something or wanted to go to a restaurant that would be weird to go to alone. This may not be easy if you dont already know someone in Tokyo....but there are lots of ways you can meet some online before you arrive. Tinder, Language exchange apps etc.

What did i do in Tokyo?

well, aside from the general tourist attractions i did a ton of shopping and hit up a lot of bars.
I didnt do any of the sexy pay for play stuff like girls bar or hostess bars, blowjob bars or happening bars...but i'll give out a few pointers if your a foreigner and want to get some action. I was a busy boy, either hooking up with old flames, hitting up local bars (see below) or by using tindr / dating applications.
My tips:
1. Dress to impress. I don't know how many times i saw blokes running around looking like they stumbled out of a wallmart at 3am.... trying to hit on some girls. Tokyo is a fashion leader. Respect that.
2. If you're looking to hook up at regular bars with locals then i recommend the following places: R2 supper club. This place is golden if you have money (drinks were pricey), are at least decent looking and have style. Even alone at the bar, I had girls starting conversations with me. Always nice when you dont have to make the first move. My second hook-up bar recommendation is Rigolettos (sp?) in Roppongi hills. This place ....you get a bit of an older crowd.. 27 to 39 ? well dressed, classy ladies, some are very sexy. Girls here go to be seen in my opinion. Girls here target foreigners as i'd say 90% of the guys there were foreigners... at R2 supper you get foreigners and Japanese dudes. Both of the above places will get you laid if you play your cards right, trust me haha :)
I"ll give two more casual type places that are good hook-up spots. HUB....yeah.... HUB...you get local girls...and i honestly think that any local girls that go there are ONLY looking to get laid. I mean why else would they go? Actually, the hottest girl i saw all trip was this one girl at HUB who was drunk AF. Too drunk ...drunk to a point where guys were getting annoyed with her. She wiped out and smashed her face on the corner of the bar and lost two teeth. Ouch! Another place that i like is the standing 300 yen bar in Ginza. There are two of them...i forgot which i went to. However this place has random lonely girls standing against the wall nursing a drink... lol are you serious? too easy. Oh Oh one more, In Shinjuku i found a really late bar (was open till like 5am on a weekday)...it was upstairs and called "From Dusk Till Dawn". It's like a heavy metal rock themed bar. There was a LOT of girls in there and only like 2 guys. I totally looked out of place being the only white guy ...wearing a blazer and printed T...when everyone was deked out in heavy metal rock type outfits....lol but girls there were easier than anywhere else. I'd go as far as to say they're straight up sluts. Girls in Tokyo tend to play hard to get for a bit before they give-in. Not here. These are the rebellious type girls. Anyways, I stayed till closing and took home the bartender Tomoka ^.^

Not a hook-up bar but a really fun bar to go and drink was Geronimo shotbar in roppongi right on the corner near the station. I met this South African stripper there. We drank really late until like 4am. Met a bunch of Brazilian people too. I didnt hook up...but i wasnt looking for it then....it was a really fun place with chill people just having a good time. Another good place to explore and drink if you're not in the mood to hook-up but want to have a good time was the Golden Gai area in Shinjuku. I hit up 9 bars in one night. I sat next to and chatted with swedish, finland, amercian, japanese, korean and chinese people. Age range is probably 28 to 48 ! wide diverse group. Fun experience for sure!

My favorite izakaya/yakitori drinking place was Baird Tap House in Harujuku

Favorite restaurant was Shima just east of Tokyo Station and Ishikawa (forgot where this was!)
Favorite shopping location Ginza Six (felt proud to see three Canadian shops in there! )

How much money should you bring?
After hotel and air was paid, i brought with me 250,000 yen cash for 10 days. This was not enough. I didnt factor in shopping. In total i should have brought 400,000 yen cash. the 250,000 would only cover my food and booze for 10 days.

I'm back in Toronto now....already planning my next Tokyo Trip. Tokyo has such a cool vibe. I love how each "area" has its own theme (for lack of a better word).

Nice write up! Pretty damn accurate. Tokyo is indeed, awesome.
Over ten years of living here and I never get bored. :)
Can you recommend some places similar to R2 Supper Club or Rigolettos'?
Also, if you know any casual standing bars let me know :-D

One piece of advice from there that I think deserves to be lifted up. No matter how much money you bring it is not going to be enough. :p

Tokyo is famous for having everything from very cheap to the most expensive. For example you can easily find lunch from 300 yens to 10.000 yens range. And that's not trying to find the expensive places yet.

So if you plan to use X yens you will easily end up spending 1.5-2.0 times that. So if you prepare for that and you bring 2X yens you end up spending 3X yens. :p

It's always great to hear people enjoying their time in Japan! And great tips for those who want to visit Japan for the first time. Personally I usually find bringing $2,000 - $3,000 (Canadian) is more than enough when visiting, but probably because I don't (get to) monger much when I'm there and don't spend THAT much on shopping.

I would also recommend that if you don't have a reasonable international data plan (is there such a thing??) that you rent pocket wifi or a phone for so that you can always stay connected . Having that with Google Maps and Translate, and you're pretty much set!

Most convenience stores have ATMs. All the 7eleven ones work with foreign cards.
Yes I know... i exaggerated a bit..
Im used to seeing a bank on every corner of every intersection lol. Having to use ATMs in 711s is weird for me.

I read a lot of your posts in the months leading up to my trip. Thank you for your contributions here!

It's always great to hear people enjoying their time in Japan! And great tips for those who want to visit Japan for the first time. Personally I usually find bringing $2,000 - $3,000 (Canadian) is more than enough when visiting, but probably because I don't (get to) monger much when I'm there and don't spend THAT much on shopping.

I would also recommend that if you don't have a reasonable international data plan (is there such a thing??) that you rent pocket wifi or a phone for so that you can always stay connected . Having that with Google Maps and Translate, and you're pretty much set!
Actually i have a pretty sweet data plan! I can use my phone as if i were home but in japan for an additional 6 bucks a day. Otherwise id be all over that pocket wifi

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One piece of advice from there that I think deserves to be lifted up. No matter how much money you bring it is not going to be enough. :p

Tokyo is famous for having everything from very cheap to the most expensive. For example you can easily find lunch from 300 yens to 10.000 yens range. And that's not trying to find the expensive places yet.

So if you plan to use X yens you will easily end up spending 1.5-2.0 times that. So if you prepare for that and you bring 2X yens you end up spending 3X yens. :p

I think now that ive been to tokyo... ill be able to plan out budget a little better.. wont need shopping as much... should be a bit cheaper!

Ah, 300 yen bar. Used to hit that place up 15 years ago. Nice to hear it's still there and paying out good dividends! A good Ginza hunting session would combine that maybe with some Genius Tokyo late night, which I understand is also still around but not sure it's still good production quality. Would have been hard not to easily find some ladies at those venues looking for a little mattress tumble, though not always the same night. Ain't no shame whatsoever in the ladies also knowing what they want and going for it. What's good for the goose and so on.

Ah, 300 yen bar. Used to hit that place up 15 years ago. Nice to hear it's still there and paying out good dividends! A good Ginza hunting session would combine that maybe with some Genius Tokyo late night, which I understand is also still around but not sure it's still good production quality. Would have been hard not to easily find some ladies at those venues looking for a little mattress tumble, though not always the same night. Ain't no shame whatsoever in the ladies also knowing what they want and going for it. What's good for the goose and so on.
That place looks pretty cool. I like the fact the reviews said its not crammed with tourists... ill check it out!

Can you recommend some places similar to R2 Supper Club or Rigolettos'?
Also, if you know any casual standing bars let me know :-D

Tokyo's nightlife is quite amazing.....but it is very weak in the upscale lively bar category. The fact that Rigolettos' is on the Friday night circuit, demonstrates the point -- it is an Italian restaurant with a bar! If you live here a while, you migrate towards pubs, wine bars and standing bars. Lots of great sophisticated bars here - but JPN prefer their bars dark, quiet, mysterious and focused on booze. It is more BYO women, rather than pick-up women.

Genius is very "local" -- think 20-30s JPN salarymen looking "smooth" in suits. I have not been in ages - but definitely not many tourists or foreigners there.

P.S. Forgot to congratulate you on getting back to Canada without contracting Chlamydia.

Yes I know... i exaggerated a bit..
Im used to seeing a bank on every corner of every intersection lol. Having to use ATMs in 711s is weird for me.

I read a lot of your posts in the months leading up to my trip. Thank you for your contributions here!
Haha, to me it looks like 7elevens are almost on every corner though so not a problem to me.

And you're very welcome :)
Glad to hear that!

Reactions: Wwanderer and Sudsy
Last edited:
Speaking of ATMs, I love the user-friendliness of the Japanese 7/11 ones.
Nice interface, numeric keypad, cute info-graphics(like so many things in jpn) and a help phone (really wanna try that)!
I get excited taking money out.:wacky: If only they didn't have a minimum 10k withdrawal......

Actually i have a pretty sweet data plan! I can use my phone as if i were home but in japan for an additional 6 bucks a day. Otherwise id be all over that pocket wifi
Seriously eh? Maybe I should double check with my provider (Telus) the next time I'm over.

@BankerguyCanada - Wow! First of all you did an amazing and awesome job of exploring Tokyo's fun side for a first trip and a stay of only 10 days...really impressive! Second, you made a great and useful report. Third, I'm not clear on why you chose not to explore the Tokyo p4p world at all, but if you choose to check out that side of the town in the future, I look forward to reading that report and you can look forward to a ton of fun and pleasure.

-Ww

@BankerguyCanada - Wow! First of all you did an amazing and awesome job of exploring Tokyo's fun side for a first trip and a stay of only 10 days...really impressive! Second, you made a great and useful report. Third, I'm not clear on why you chose not to explore the Tokyo p4p world at all, but if you choose to check out that side of the town in the future, I look forward to reading that report and you can look forward to a ton of fun and pleasure.

-Ww

Thanks!! Yes i was very busy!!!

Why no p4p?

1. I didnt have any guys to go with so p4p going solo seemed daunting.
2. Wasnt confident i could get in anywhere with very very limited jp language skills
3. I had poontang either lined up or picked up most nights! Dropping big $$ for it didnt seem needed
4. Kind of scared of getting a sti hahaha

Sorry im a noob

Reactions: Sinapse

Why no p4p?

2. Wasnt confident i could get in anywhere with very very limited jp language skills
3. I had poontang either lined up or picked up most nights! Dropping big $$ for it didnt seem needed

Sorry im a noob
The majority of P4P providers get tested regularly because this is our job and it's just common sense.

Your chances of getting an STI/STD are higher with non-P4P partners since most of them do not get tested regularly and/or don't use protection.

This is always weird for me to hear. The idea of going with other guys seems much more awkward/strange to me. Strip club ok but actual P4P just seems strange to me. I'd love to hear more about the opposing viewpoint.

I agree. I've only been to the places the explicitly cater to foreigners only like [Redacted] or JEGC and used Independents for this reason. While there are tons of great resources on this site about soaplands and the like and I hope to try one during a future trip it just seems like a daunting task to get in the door.

Skipping number 3 as that's a good point.

@MissInsomnia said it best...
The majority of P4P providers get tested regularly because this is our job and it's just common sense.

Your chances of getting an STI/STD are higher with non-P4P partners since most of them do not get tested regularly and/or don't use protection.

I'll just add that at least in the cases of the places like [Redacted] they even post the last test date for the girls on their profile pages.

Great writeup though and glad you had such a good time during your first trip.

I'll say!

Why no p4p?

Sorry im a noob

No reason to apologize. Every guy is a noob at p4p or was at some point...even me way back in the mists of time, after the last of the dinosaurs and before the first of the cell phones.

Afaik, there is nowhere in the world that it is safer to explore p4p than Japan. Without language skills it can be frustrating...even with them at times for gaijin, but there is little to fear beyond frustration (mostly, just don't go anywhere with a street tout).

-Ww

Telus charges $10 a day normally. I have a corporate plan so its a bit less...but still a good deal!
Hmmm, the last time I went I managed to rent a pocket wifi from a Chinese/Taiwan company for I think around $30 for 2 weeks! And prior to that I used to rent from Japan-Wireless and their 14 day rate is at 7,650 yen, which is still around 5,50 yen per day. The only thing is that I'm not sure how well those things work in more rural areas though....although getting data in general might be difficult so you'd run into problems regardless.