Guest viewing is limited

Live Corona Update - 17:15~ (11/19/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably won't postpone them - but I do expect that Japan won't be fully open to the world by that time.

The [Japanese] government has a timeline or at least has signaled that they expect to deliver the vaccine to all residents of Japan by Golden Week 2021. Soooo... that's a good target,
IMHO, first world countries will get vaccinated fairly quickly but poorer, 2nd, 3rd level countries will probably struggle.

I read an article that says the J gov already started requisitioning specialized freezers for storing BioTech/Pfizer vaccines. They seem to be serious.

I always find these requests kinda weird. Does the virus just stop spreading after 10pm and be like: yeah, it’s 10pm now. Let’s go home and sleep. o_O

It sounds funny indeed, but it's based on a number of tracer studies. They found that several clusters in the past emerged because just one infected person roamed around, visiting a bar to another over a few hours. Had that person gone home early, the cluster never emerged. The measure was effective in summer, and it turned out to be effective again in Sapporo now (where the number of active cases starts decline), and probably effective in Tokyo this time again.

Reactions: Simonka
Still, I'm wondering how people get infected in places like Wyoming and Dakotas...

I've lived in small cow-towns like that, and people there live in this bubble where whatever is happening with "city folks" doesn't apply to them. They live with a sort of mild contempt or anyone from big cities and put them on a permanent pay-no-mind list, as if they don't exist. I guarantee if you walked into any shitkicker bar in, say, Cheyenne, Wyoming, on any day of the week over the summer while the virus was wreaking havoc all over the western U.S., you would've never guessed a pandemic was going on. Hicks, rednecks and cowboys crowding the bar counter and pool tables with no masks, hee-hawing and slapping each other's backs while they tell racist jokes and bitch about their wives over Pabst tall-boys and shots of Wild Turkey. And then that one asshole in the middle of the crowd thinks nothing of the fact that he drove into Denver a few days earlier to pick up some equipment at a wholesaler and figures the sore throat and cough he's been feeling since morning are from some bad chewing tobacco.

It's like any small, rural, isolated community that managed to stay virus-free for a long time. Everything's fine, until it isn't. Then before anyone realizes what's going on, half the neighborhood is sick. Gotta hand it to us city folks, at least we're now properly paranoid and neurotic and ready to pepper-spray any asshole who comes within ten feet of us.

I've lived in small cow-towns like that, and people there live in this bubble where whatever is happening with "city folks" doesn't apply to them. They live with a sort of mild contempt or anyone from big cities and put them on a permanent pay-no-mind list, as if they don't exist. I guarantee if you walked into any shitkicker bar in, say, Cheyenne, Wyoming, on any day of the week over the summer while the virus was wreaking havoc all over the western U.S., you would've never guessed a pandemic was going on. Hicks, rednecks and cowboys crowding the bar counter and pool tables with no masks, hee-hawing and slapping each other's backs while they tell racist jokes and bitch about their wives over Pabst tall-boys and shots of Wild Turkey. And then that one asshole in the middle of the crowd thinks nothing of the fact that he drove into Denver a few days earlier to pick up some equipment at a wholesaler and figures the sore throat and cough he's been feeling since morning are from some bad chewing tobacco.

It's like any small, rural, isolated community that managed to stay virus-free for a long time. Everything's fine, until it isn't. Then before anyone realizes what's going on, half the neighborhood is sick. Gotta hand it to us city folks, at least we're now properly paranoid and neurotic and ready to pepper-spray any asshole who comes within ten feet of us.

ah, Cheyenne... bought a cowboy hat there
And thats pretty much all I remember
Driving across Wyoming in one day was probably the most boring drive I ever did

Reactions: Keihan
ah, Cheyenne... bought a cowboy hat there
And thats pretty much all I remember
Driving across Wyoming in one day was probably the most boring drive I ever did

Wyoming isn't too bad. I've driven across worse places (Nebraska or Iowa). But I can't imagine a single reason you'd be driving across Wyoming when you could've instead gone through Colorado. Much prettier girls, people can actually read and lots of nice places to drink. It's been on a steady decline over the past twenty or so years, with all of the fucking Californians moving in and bringing their bullshit politics and nonsense with them, but outside of Metro Denver, where you'd be passing as you drive through the state, it's still real America. People are warm, matter-of-fact, self-reliant, subtly racist if you're brown or darker but if you've got a shotgun rack on the back window of your pickup and an NRA or Bush/Cheney sticker on your bumper you're good to go.

Wyoming isn't too bad. I've driven across worse places (Nebraska or Iowa). But I can't imagine a single reason you'd be driving across Wyoming when you could've instead gone through Colorado. Much prettier girls, people can actually read and lots of nice places to drink. It's been on a steady decline over the past twenty or so years, with all of the fucking Californians moving in and bringing their bullshit politics and nonsense with them, but outside of Metro Denver, where you'd be passing as you drive through the state, it's still real America. People are warm, matter-of-fact, self-reliant, subtly racist if you're brown or darker but if you've got a shotgun rack on the back window of your pickup and an NRA or Bush/Cheney sticker on your bumper you're good to go.

lol! Well I was dating one of these “fucking Californians” who moved to Colorado, and yes, she fucked me well and in all sorts of places and positions :)

i was actually travelling from CO to Mt Rushmore and me being still a silly Frenchy used to distances in Japan and France just looked at the map and thought... yeah.... easy, I will see them stone presidents in a few hours... but it was Loooong ... and quite zen in a way

i had a trick in those states (and Hawaii too). I pointed at a Bank of the West branch and said “yeah think what you want about the French but we own your bank there” (I say “we” as a general term, don’t try to find me at the bank of flying stars, I don’t work there)

most were laughing at me until I showed them proof on Google or whatever

then I said we use their American deposits to finance our mistresses and wines expenditures

then they hated me even more :D

Driving through Oklahoma was one of the most boring experiences in my life as a passionate car driver.
Makes me think... can you imagine a trip from say San Antonio straight north to the Canadian Border . At which state do you start to hallucinate or even hang youself?

Makes me think... can you imagine a trip from say San Antonio straight north to the Canadian Border . At which state do you start to hallucinate or even hang youself?
I've done that route from Houston. If you go straight north through Kansas and the Dakotas it's pretty dull - and you end up in Winnipeg, which is kind of like hell, but with less fire and less excitement.

Reactions: Frenchy
...Winnipeg, which is kind of like hell, but with less fire and less excitement.

Everybody always bashes Winnipeg, but I thought it was quite nice, at least in late August. Of course, I'm from Scarberia, so what do I know? :p

I took The Canadian to Vancouver one time, and we had a few hour layover there while they refueled the train, changed the linens, etc. There's not a bad little railway museum in the station, and a nice park on the river. I also walked to the Legislative Building (quite an attractive, neoclassical structure made of local limestone), but didn't have time to go in.

That was also the trip where I really realized just how big Ontario is. I'd done the whole length of the 401 (I'd been to Florida via Windsor, and to the Quebec border on the way to Montreal), but had never been north of the Sault Ste. Marie/Sudbury/North Bay line (in North America; I'd been to the UK, all of which is farther north). We left Toronto about 10:00 at night on a Tuesday, and didn't get to Winnipeg until just after dawn on the Thursday morning. Then we arrived in Vancouver mid-morning on the Saturday.

What’s y’all’s perspective on soaps and deriherus right now especially with cases going up? Full sends or meh, just wait it out.

What’s y’all’s perspective on soaps and deriherus right now especially with cases going up? Full sends or meh, just wait it out.
Personally I would avoid them , but tbh I avoided them before covid too

Personal choice.

It's a one-on-one meeting, so there will always be a risk even getting to the meeting. Business is slow but it's not dead...

Do you think bars or one to one meetings like that have a higher risk?
Bars, IMHO, are a higher risk. At least the smaller bars where people are crammed together are definitely a higher risk.
If you're at a bigger bar, spread apart, then maybe not so bad.

I'd personally stick with one-on-one meetings, better controlled for the duration of your event.

But hey, many people master the one-handed meetings and that's even safer!

Bars, IMHO, are a higher risk. At least the smaller bars where people are crammed together are definitely a higher risk.
If you're at a bigger bar, spread apart, then maybe not so bad.

I'd personally stick with one-on-one meetings, better controlled for the duration of your event.

But hey, many people master the one-handed meetings and that's even safer!
In that case maybe I’ll stop by somewhere instead of being a social butterfly lolol. Appreciate your opinion though.

Yes, it's probably a different story then. It was in the low 20s and not too humid when I was there. Quite pleasant.

Well, whatever we say about Winnipeg, at least it's not Toronto. :)

Reactions: Frenchy and Ken1988
Reactions: shadowboxer
That's the price of living in America. We're the richest, loudest, most powerful and arrogant assholes on the planet so we'll always get the good shit (vaccines) first, but not before we probably kill off a nice big chunk of the population this time because a disproportionately large demographic in this country is made up of classless, selfish, inbred fucking morons who think that ripping off their masks and screaming in the streets (at Trump rallies) shows how awesome and free and patriotic they are.

I have to roll my eyes at this. Your comment accurately describes the boogie mentality many in America have for the 'proles' with the neurotic tendencies along with it. Nevermind we're a large federal liberal democracy with a pesky thing called rights and freedoms and can't just fix this with a magic wand. Nice shout out to Trump fans. I'm sure BLM and Biden's victory parties were strict followers of le science.

No way is this pandemic going to be "under control" by June or July

Maybe at that point, one will have to conclude that this covid thing will never be 'under control' and make the painful but necessary policies accordingly.

I have to roll my eyes at this. Your comment accurately describes the boogie mentality many in America have for the 'proles' with the neurotic tendencies along with it. Nevermind we're a large federal liberal democracy with a pesky thing called rights and freedoms and can't just fix this with a magic wand. Nice shout out to Trump fans. I'm sure BLM and Biden's victory parties were strict followers of le science.

Maybe at that point, one will have to conclude that this covid thing will never be 'under control' and make the painful but necessary policies accordingly.

Yeah I agree , Keihan is really too much of a snobby libtard! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.