Guest viewing is limited

Michelin star restaurant or p4p?

Tokyo being the city with the most Michelin stars, I was disappointed I didn’t try at least one but had 3 different types of p4p service. Anyone try a Michelin star restaurant in Japan? Is it worth it to try once over p4p?
I've been in some, in Japan and other countries. Personally, I'm not guided by the stars. They are a good reference of price and excellence, but that does not mean that I am going to enjoy the experience. I prefer the reviews of people and journalists.
What a philosophical question! Can one of the mundane pleasures be replaced by another? If you have tried one and you like it, I think not. And if you have not tried it yet, you will live with the doubt.
A suggestion would be to try a restaurant that has got two stars recently, they are eager to please and cheaper than the three stars. Then you can have after a date with your favorite p4p to enjoy life without compromising your budget too much.

My wife I were in Tokyo in November. For my birthday we hit this place. Kien is one or two star we did the 9 course with the turtle soup. Come hungry.

http://www.akasaka-kien.com/introduction-english

We enjoy high end dining and yes sometimes Michelin rating can be what the fuck. More often than not we have had some really Fucken great experiences. Ambiance wise Kien is nothing special. But the staff and the food was Fucken holy shit delicious. At the end the chef was awesome he came and chatted with us while we waited for the taxi pickup. We did the private room and had the truffle pot. Pretty great stuff. All in all this rated pretty high on our dining experiences. Definitely recommend.

Btw southern France had a great Fucken place . Definitely the best or damn near place we have experienced Michelin’s or not. https://www.franck-putelat.com/fr/ .Them tricky French can cook

Oh the question was one or the other. Do both shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've been in some, in Japan and other countries. Personally, I'm not guided by the stars. They are a good reference of price and excellence, but that does not mean that I am going to enjoy the experience.

Indeed, like how Tabelog or Yelp (or TAG) provide reviews and hopefully a little bit of information to help form an informed opinion, I frequently like to use the stars as a barometer - safety belt basically! I would say if there is an “if/or” question due to budget then a “Bib Gourmand” restaurant would be considerably cheaper (like a Michelin honourable mention or restaurant of note) guide. I frequently dine out when I travel so definitely worth thinking about.

Indeed, like how Tabelog or Yelp (or TAG) provide reviews and hopefully a little bit of information to help form an informed opinion, I frequently like to use the stars as a barometer - safety belt basically! I would say if there is an “if/or” question due to budget then a “Bib Gourmand” restaurant would be considerably cheaper (like a Michelin honourable mention or restaurant of note) guide. I frequently dine out when I travel so definitely worth thinking about.
Exactly what I did during my trip last year. Visited a couple of cities for the first time, and I used the Bib Gourmand list a couple of a times as I wanted to try the "best" the city offered without having to pay a fortune. Thankfully I enjoyed every single place that I picked.

Tokyo being the city with the most Michelin stars, I was disappointed I didn’t try at least one but had 3 different types of p4p service. Anyone try a Michelin star restaurant in Japan? Is it worth it to try once over p4p?

Pro tip from someone who loves good food and good sex: go to the same restaurant for lunch :D

It's far cheaper than dinner, the food is still amazing, and you'll have more money left over for dessert!

The food is definitely cheaper as most Michelin restaurants offer a cheaper prix fixe lunch with limited options. I find though that I end up ordering off the course menu anyways..

One interesting thing I’ve noticed at some pricey Japanese places is time or quantity limited offerings at a certain price. I find it odd as a North American as you tend to never see that at higher end establishments and if people want something the attitude is to not sell out .. we’ll take that as feedback and have more for next time!

Reactions: Petite Nymphet
Pro tip from someone who loves good food and good sex: go to the same restaurant for lunch :D

It's far cheaper than dinner, the food is still amazing, and you'll have more money left over for dessert!

The lunch to dinner experience is quite different in terms of; atmosphere, night view, alcohol consumption etc...

I don’t mind splashing out for dinner on a ‘language exchange’ partner after I have banged her like a drum kit in a special ed class. The whole deal should come in around 40,000 yen.

Reactions: Sudsy
The question was whether there was actually language exchange going on vs. fluid exchange?

Ba-dum-bum

Candidly, I find long course dining (which most Michellin is) can be a .. less pleasant affair without an interesting companion. The food is lovely, yes, but the meal takes a while and there’s long spacing between courses so if you can’t converse it can get a bit dull.

There was this POT SB on SA (whom I never met) who proposed a M&G at one of Michelin-starred restaurants in town. I booked a table but she flaked on it literally last second. Then she suggested another one for another date. I booked and she flaked. Then she suggested another one....and I booked and....in total I’ve been to four Michelin-starred restaurants that way and eaten there alone. Yes, it’s ridiculous. Nevertheless, I got familiar with some nice restaurants in town and her selections were just amazing. I frequent one of them for my business. After all it’s not a bad experience.

There was this POT SB on SA (whom I never met) who proposed a M&G at one of Michelin-starred restaurants in town. I booked a table but she flaked on it literally last second. Then she suggested another one for another date. I booked and she flaked. Then she suggested another one....and I booked and....in total I’ve been to four Michelin-starred restaurants that way and eaten there alone. Yes, it’s ridiculous. Nevertheless, I got familiar with some nice restaurants in town and her selections were just amazing. I frequent one of them for my business. After all it’s not a bad experience.
Fuck that. Typically the type of attitude I can’t stand. Did she at least have some plausible excuses? Was she a PR agent for those restaurants ? :D

Fuck that. Typically the type of attitude I can’t stand. Did she at least have some plausible excuses? Was she a PR agent for those restaurants ? :D

Her first excuse was that she got a rush job from the manager. I thought that was understandable. Then she lost her cellphone twice (how she could text me through SA? PC??) and then she couldn’t get a cab because it was rain.

To be more precise, she kept on asking me to uber her for the m&g and I refused it. I noticed all those stupid excuses appeared after I refused to uber her.

Her first excuse was that she got a rush job from the manager. I thought that was understandable. Then she lost her cellphone twice (how she could text me through SA? PC??) and then she couldn’t get a cab because it was rain.

To be more precise, she kept on asking me to uber her for the m&g and I refused it. I noticed all those stupid excuses appeared after I refused to uber her.

So she missed all those nice dinners at great restaurants just because she wanted a Uber ride?! :ROFLMAO:

So she missed all those nice dinners at great restaurants just because she wanted a Uber ride?! :ROFLMAO:

It's not only her. Another pot blocked me right after I refused to uber her to a m&g. Perhaps they think it's a safety measure, but I don't know.

Sounds almost like some kind of sceme by the restaurants, haha.

Reactions: Ken1988
It's not only her. Another pot blocked me right after I refused to uber her to a m&g. Perhaps they think it's a safety measure, but I don't know.

Ok Ken, I need to come clean on this, those girls you waited at those Michelin-starred restaurants... they were ME!!!
Bwaahrararara! (Dr Evil laugh with a French accent) :vamp:

Reactions: Ken1988
Laughing, I totally misread the original post.

Got totally excited about food and missed the p4p

Thanks for no pms are you stupid,,,,