Random pictures in japan you took!

1.JPG
2.JPG

I like hanging out in Shibuya, despite the relentless waves of tourists during summer.
After getting crushed by two consecutive cancelled dates this trip, walking around town was like instant therapy for me.
The great American singer-songwriter James Taylor put what I was feeling in one of his classic songs:

Moving in silent desperation, keeping an eye on the Holy Land.
A hypothetical destination, say, who is this walking man?

Well, the leaves have come to turning and the goose has gone to fly,
And bridges are for burning, so don't you let that yearning pass you by.
Walking man, walking man walks.
Any other man stops and talks, but the walking man walks.

1) A faux statue of Hachiko in front of Tower Records.
1929AEC4-EAD4-41B2-B1D8-B839BFA25A44.jpeg

2) Public landscaping with love.
5E07D48A-233F-4DF8-BF47-14B5D1E353BE.jpeg

3) How much is that doggie in the window?
70058607-A425-4BB6-A6D6-B76F6E8A76F0.jpeg

4) You can see all kinds of people at Shibuya crossing.
C89A2586-55D5-405B-ACD0-679945B742D8.jpeg

I saw an ad for a job for MariCar. They do not get paid all that much to put up with dumb tourists.

Reactions: TAG Manager
I saw an ad for a job for MariCar. They do not get paid all that much to put up with dumb tourists.

If you think the one for the general guides is bad, the manager positions they have there are insane. A friend applied for one for a laugh, and the conditions are awful and very illegal.

12 hour shifts, 6 days per week, and as the person is ostensibly a manager, overtime is unpaid.

Public holidays are not granted, nor are make-up holidays given.

Average of 130 hours a month of overtime.

And all for a little more than what an experienced eikaiwa teacher makes.

1.JPG

Half the world is sleeping
Half the world's awake
Half can hear their hearts beat
Half just hear them break

I am but a traveler, in most every way
Ask me what you want to know

What a journey it has been
And the end is not in sight
But the stars are out tonight
And they're bound to guide my way

The Journey sung by Lea Salonga

2.JPG

Had a tough time in Tokyo last week when my special date cancelled at the last minute. It felt like the clouds over Haneda commiserated with me by pouring a huge amount of rain the day I left Dodge.

09A37BB0-DE4C-4F71-B62B-01EB0F877EA8.jpeg

I look forward to making another trip to Mikimoto Pearl Island in Mie prefecture to see the area’s Ama pearl divers demonstrate their occupation. Quite amazing.
These women are known to be capable of diving about 30 feet down in cold water, wearing simple goggles and their traditional ninja-like, white kit. These awesome ladies don’t need fancy diving gear.

52EF63D2-C769-4A7B-BA71-E11B84519FFB.jpeg

E4ED5B10-0F04-4EA1-BA53-B595CFDA0A85.jpeg

These women are known to be capable of diving about 30 feet down in cold water, wearing simple goggles and their traditional ninja-like, white kit. These awesome ladies don’t need fancy diving gear.

The traditional wear was just a loincloth and I would watch that demonstration any day. Them girls are fit! :D

Nowadays they do use wetsuits while working for real.

The traditional wear was just a loincloth and I would watch that demonstration any day. Them girls are fit! :D

Interestingly, that occupation is also where the Japanese slang for pimp, himo, comes from. Literally means "string", and was a reference to the guys who manned the boats and kept a tether tied to the ladies to help bring them up quickly if they ran into trouble, but otherwise didn't do much of value.

Yakitori place in Jimbocho. Looks like they specialize in bonjiri

Attachments

• 23A74696-2CC7-4F44-B346-4D385E5E8A92.jpeg
    23A74696-2CC7-4F44-B346-4D385E5E8A92.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Here’s a snapshot I took roughly two years ago of Meoto Iwa, known as the Married Couple Rocks, in the sea off the town of Futami in Mie Prefecture. Both rocks are joined by a shimenawa, a heavy rope made of rice straw or hemp used in sacred landmarks in the Shinto religion. The larger rock, which represents the husband, has a small torii at its peak.

8567F873-68B4-4A09-ACB0-19183E8D6A46.jpeg

Reactions: Simonka and Ken1988
I felt quite sad reading and watching news about the death and destruction brought by the torrential rain and landslides in western Japan. I pray for all those people affected.

Here’s a snapshot I took one morning more than a year ago outside a ryokan in Toba, Mie Prefecture.
Based on recent events, this photo reminds me of the song “Tomorrow” from the musical Annie:

When I'm stuck in a day that's gray and lonely,
I just stick out my chin and grin, and say ...

The sun will come out tomorrow,
So ya gotta hang on ‘til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya, tomorrow!
You’re always a day away.

B58004EA-2558-406C-AEA3-094DC8DA8825.jpeg

230C1DAA-ECFB-4136-BD10-727E5A0FC10A.jpeg

Imperial Palace Gardens
On that day the weather was perfectly matching the facade of this building.
I love how the rustic vibe of the patina clad stone wall compliments the weeds.

Since I have a background in production, I'm always interested in seeing the gear other companies around the world use. Specifically how they carry and organize all the stuff we gotta use on location shoots.

IMG_2674.jpg

Reactions: animal131