Guest viewing is limited

Smell, Odor, & Deodorant In Japan

Solong

TAG Member
Reaction score
This was an interesting debate recently among my friends where we were helping various guys new to Japan. One significant bit of advice, was not to wear or at least be very wary of heavy cologne, deodorant, or lotions. The reason for this is that many Japanese, unfamiliar with the smell of such, can assume the foreign person stinks.

It's arguably better to wear no cologne at all or the kind that smells like soap/soapy. Same for deodorant, better the kind that kills any smell or body odor, but has a neutral smell itself, versus any kind of heavy fragrance. And this is the case for lotions. Better unscented or neutral smelling lotion, versus any heavy fragrance and especially flowery types. In various cases and too often, while the cologne/deodorant/lotion might smell good at first, after a few hours or interacting with sweat, it can smell odd or bad.

Now this is in addition to proper hygiene, so not saying to go without showering daily and using soap and shampoo, or not to make sure your clothes are washed and clean smelling. The point is the additional things many people put on themselves, which can have a much different affect on the nose of many Japanese than the foreign person thinks. Some foreigners, particularly men (but some women too) can swear that X cologne or perfume smells so good and is popular back in their country, but in Japan, people will react like they just took a shit in their pants. The unfamiliar smell, may not be received well by the locals.

The "rules" are a bit different for men, as oppose to women. A pretty woman, is much more likely to get the benefit of the doubt, when it comes to smell. Particularly from the opposite sex. However there are limits, and foreign women new to Japan might want to be aware of such and think about their choices in products and perfumes too.

In addition to this, foreigners should be aware that they are not usually given the benefit of the doubt where any strong smells are concerned. For instance, if you are coming from a bar with lots of alcohol or cigarette smoke, various Japanese can too often assume that you stink. Where if smelling another Japanese coming out of the same bar, they can be more distinguishing about the nature of the odor, and detect it's cigarette smoke or alcohol. Same can be if you are coming from a yakiniku restaurant ( the meat and smoke) or pizza with lots of garlic. While it seems unfair, it's something my friends and I have observed over many years in Japan. If you want to remove the alcohol or tobacco smell from your clothes, you can use products in Japan like Gatsby wipes or various types of deodorant/disinfectant wipes.

Reactions: Vulkan
Yes, many Japanese have the image that foreigners stink.

But i don't understand why so few Japanese people wear deorant of parfume. While Japanese sweat might smell less strong than the sweat of foreigners (a theory that i have heard a lot but not sure if it really works like that) a lot of Japanese guys still stink after a day of work. I much prefer being with a guy who smells like parfume and the type of (Japanese) guys that i like usually do use parfume.

My own deodorant doesn't have a strong smell. I'd advice every foreigner to bring/import their deo because Japanese deo doesn't seem to work well. Sometimes i forget to wear parfume but if i dont forget i usually do two or three sprays. I have one parfume that was cheap but that i get a lot of compliments about every time i wear it.

I was at a train station once, getting ready to meet a client. Opened my bag, and grabbed my little atomizer to spray some perfume on myself. Jimmy Choo's Blossom FTW! :D

Then an old Japanese woman walked by me. Gave me a dirty look and said "kusai". I was confused because she wouldn't go away. If she didn't like the scent, she could've just stood somewhere else.. the platform was long and empty :p

As for deodorants, I just go to my local Brazilian cosmetics shop. For some reason, the Japanese ones don't seem to work on me.. and the scents are too strong.

I think it is that we (Caucasians) mostly smell slightly different to Japanese people and some Japanese people are sensitive to our smell. It is also true that people with soft/liquid type ear wax have stronger body odour than people with hard ear wax, and in Japan in general people have hard ear wax (hence those spoony sticky things for removing it). My mind was blown when I learned this by the way.

As for cologne/perfume, I notice it straight away whenever I go to London now, in elevators, on the underground, etc. Having lived in Japan for so long I now find it overbearing and no longer wear aftershave etc.

I have a very sensitive nose so I do think that Japanese stink as well as any other. Maybe not so much like sweat.
What bothers me the most is that garlic smell and alcohol.

As for myself, I use deodorant from Germany and always get a whole bunch of them. For the rest, some light perfume if at all. Mostly go with light scented body cream.
Japanese girls sometimes smell even worse like heavy sweet flowers. But that could be just my sensitive nose.

Actually that is a real nuisance in Japan. There is very little proper deodorant available and even more annoying, hot water washing machines are almost non existent. Japanese never understand when I complain about, as it seems on average they sweat less.
But I also heard that many of this business men have wives at home, who hand wash the stinky stuff.
Bringing your deodorant with you is a great idea. I always do that when going to Japan. I prefer neutral odor as well and only lightly use perfume when appropriate.
Garlic is an interesting topic indeed ;)

Reactions: Wwanderer
Actually that is a real nuisance in Japan. There is very little proper deodorant available and even more annoying, hot water washing machines are almost non existent. Japanese never understand when I complain about, as it seems on average they sweat less.
But I also heard that many of this business men have wives at home, who hand wash the stinky stuff.
Bringing your deodorant with you is a great idea. I always do that when going to Japan. I prefer neutral odor as well and only lightly use perfume when appropriate.
Japanese seem to sweat more than foreigners, at least than me.
In the summer they all need those face towels while my pores are very small. I usually dont sweat on other places than my armpits, and maybe some places where clothes or hair touch my body.
But like speculated earlier their sweat might smell less strong.
I'm not sure about washing machines but my clothes usually smell fine after i wash them.
I hate how people smell from their mouth here. Garlic, other spice or alcohol but also bad hygiene sometimes.

If your worried about body odour and misunderstanding regarding perfume preferences why not just buy domestic womens deodorant and be done with it?

For everyday, I just go for non-scented and trust that a good diet, hygiene and genetics will carry me home. When I am in place where no scent is not an option i choose the above suggestion.

When it comes to using a scent, I just try to smell of something fresh yet familiar. The other thing i would note is that men in general and affluent Chinese women always seem to go overboard on perfume to the point it is a joke.

Last point would be that Deodorant/Perfumes are not a replacement for bathing twice a day. General hygiene will take you so very far.

Reactions: Solong
It is also true that people with soft/liquid type ear wax have stronger body odour than people with hard ear wax, and in Japan in general people have hard ear wax (hence those spoony sticky things for removing it). My mind was blown when I learned this by the way.

Wow...learn something unexpected every day!

-Ww

Reactions: Curacao
I have a very sensitive nose so I do think that Japanese stink as well as any other. Maybe not so much like sweat.
What bothers me the most is that garlic smell and alcohol.

As for myself, I use deodorant from Germany and always get a whole bunch of them. For the rest, some light perfume if at all. Mostly go with light scented body cream.
Japanese girls sometimes smell even worse like heavy sweet flowers. But that could be just my sensitive nose.
I have/had sex with, worked with, lived with, gone to the gym... with Japanese. Not to mention swinger parties, with a room full of people.

The concept that "Japanese" don't stink, is pseudo-science mixed with myth and propaganda. And I find it funny how darker Southeast Asians aren't given such a pass or the silliness of people creating mythical racial hierarchies of smell that have never lived with Asians.

People get some stereotype in their minds, and run with it. Like all Asians are good at Math. Nevermind all the extra hours of study or the strong commitment to education and good grades by the parents, and all those Asians not good at or who don't like Math.

I have smelled some very stinky Japanese. So even if a "higher average" might can go a little bit longer before they will begin to give off an odor, without proper hygiene and washing of clothes, they will eventually stink. Human, is human. All still sweat, bleed, fart, and shit... Reality. Last I checked, Japanese are humans.

It's really more about applying proper hygiene or washing the clothes. And in that, this is more the "secret" of many Japanese. They wash everyday and clean their clothes. Remember Japan has a long history of bathing and washing, when Europeans and Americans were still covering "the smell" with perfume or believed a layer of dirt was "healthy". Commitment to hygiene, in Japanese culture, is higher than many other places. That's where the "magic" is mostly coming from. And then arguably LESS meat in their diet, as heavy meat eaters tend to give off stronger odors, so diet is another factor in the equation.

Last edited:
Japanese people do sweat less, a doctor friend told me this before I came here. Consequently I brought plenty of Western deodrants with me.

Personally I wear mostly clothing made of natural materials as artificial ones make you swear more. (I do not understand the appeal of workout clothing made of artificial materials). Japan is full of polyester clothing, even polyester bedsheets, yuck. I never buy Japanese clothing brands.

I don't spray my perfume as I find to be overpowering that way, but instead gently dab it in the right places.
Do they really sweat less? Like in the summer or during sex the sweat is dripping from their forehead and i have nothing except a little sticky armpits.

Japanese people do sweat less, a doctor friend told me this before I came here. Consequently I brought plenty of Western deodrants with me.

Personally I wear mostly clothing made of natural materials as artificial ones make you swear more. (I do not understand the appeal of workout clothing made of artificial materials). Japan is full of polyester clothing, even polyester bedsheets, yuck. I never buy Japanese clothing brands.

I don't spray my perfume as I find to be overpowering that way, but instead gently dab it in the right places.

Japanese stores do carry some very effective deodorants for body odor. Soft Stone/Deonatulle or Ban 8x4 dry sticks are among some effective ones.

Of course it still depends on preference or person, but it's to say that foreigners having to import deodorant isn't absolutely necessary. It might be they are not experimenting with what is being offered in Japanese stores, there is a force of habit, or perhabs more culturally rigid thinking on how they should smell that's not quite applicable to Japan.

I was at a train station once, getting ready to meet a client. Opened my bag, and grabbed my little atomizer to spray some perfume on myself. Jimmy Choo's Blossom FTW! :D

Then an old Japanese woman walked by me. Gave me a dirty look and said "kusai". I was confused because she wouldn't go away. If she didn't like the scent, she could've just stood somewhere else.. the platform was long and empty [emoji14]

As for deodorants, I just go to my local Brazilian cosmetics shop. For some reason, the Japanese ones don't seem to work on me.. and the scents are too strong.
What I notice that many Japanese women do, is focus very heavily on shampoo and conditioners that have certain fragrances. Various local women can be very picky and fussy about this.

When a Japanese woman has long hair, this can be like a "deodorant shield" of hair, that can last a very good portion of the day. But, it can backfire if they are in a club full of alcohol and tobacco smoke for too long. So it's like a double edge blade, where the long hair can keep the good shampoo/conditioner smell for a long time, or pick up bad smells from the bar/club (if there for a long time).

I find it very hard to believe they sweat any less thzn caucasians. In fact japan is the only country i visited where i've seen ads for hyperhidrodis (多汗症) in the transportation or on tv

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One of the major pluses of living in the mountains, the only time you sweat is doing exercise. :joyful:
Anyone who has been in a Japanese classroom after a PE class can testify to the ability of the Japanese body to produce odors.
I also can't find a good Japanese deodorant so buy in bulk while overseas.

I've actually had a few people say how nice I smell at times. Seems subtle deodorant and the laundry detergent are a good mix.

I too find cologne and perfume at bit overpowering.

I think much of it can be chalked up to similar diet and genes. You smell more normal/better to people of your own race because you simply don't notice the bad odour because it's similar to yours. Japanese food is also pretty mild, no heavy curries, not much milk and butter, and not too much meat.

For those of you doubting Japanese deodorants, I challenge you to try this:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B00HYTF1YA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked better than any deodorants or antiperspirants in my country with a very light mint smell. I couldn't find anything that actually stopped my armpit smell until I came to Japan. It may not be ok for sensitive skin as it leaves a menthol cooling feeling the first hour.

People get some stereotype in their minds, and run with it. Like all Asians are good at Math. Nevermind all the extra hours of study or the strong commitment to education and good grades by the parents, and all those Asians not good at or who don't like Math. .

Ha ha, Chinese are terrible at doing math without a pen! I was surprised that my mental math calculations were consistently better.

the smell thing strange, since it seems that many dont like perfume, or the like on men, while its perfectly acceptable on women... and its perfectly acceptable to have hardcore garlic or alcohol breath...
in my experience it is usually okay to use perfume (though it might be character/role related, as are many things here), as long as you dont overdo it...
many people see it as offensive as loud music on the train, though, because it invades peoples private space...same reason why there are quiet a few workplaces, that dont allow perfume, especially when customers frequent that place...

as for the "you smell" thing, it isnt always offensive, just the way japanese say "you got fat"...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I should f&cking stop wearing this godd@mn polyester b#llsh!t
Actually, for many people it's the opposite. Cotton socks are a good example. People with bad smelling feet or foot fungus are arguably better off with the man-made or mixed of cotton and something else, versus pure cotton.

Many of the new materials and blends are more "breathable", durable, don't shrink, bacteria/odor resistant, etc... So I think it might better to look at clothing in a case by case way.

Reactions: split