Guest viewing is limited

Smell, Odor, & Deodorant In Japan

I've read dairy products are a big contributor of BO. I thought of once getting those glands in the armpits surgically removed because it can get so onion smelly. Luckily, I've finally found a deodorant that actually and finally prevents the smell. Man, in the hot summers, it was atrocious.
I don't know the extent of how dairy products effect smell, but do think meat and type of diet is a contributor. And interestingly enough, Japanese drink less milk and dietary products than Westerners. It could be that excessive calcium and sodium has a relationship to hormones associated with stress, which in turns effects smell. Magnesium and potassium, could have the opposite effect.

On an interesting side note, eating less red meat and eating more pineapples and fruits can turn the taste of sperm from a strong odor and bitter taste to a neutral odor and to a neutral or sweet taste. Usually I have my girlfriends drink my sperm and they would comment on the taste. Been doing such for many years now. Some stating they wouldn't drink the sperm of other guys because it tasted bitter, but didn't mind drinking mine.

That wasn't always case, but I switched to a pescetarian diet (no red meat or pork) years ago. Also avoid dairy products, and tend towards more magnesium and potassium rich foods (fruits and vegetables). And would say it had a tremendous positive effect. One side effect being a more neutral smell.

Other factors can be the type of soap or any lotions a person uses. I don't think they all have the same effect. Instead of solid soap, perhaps switch to liquid soaps and see how that works. Zinc has long been known as a smell neutralizer and killer of bacteria and fungus. They do make soaps that have Zinc in it or a guy could buy Zinc Citrate and put it in liquid soap. Some people do that to kill athletes foot, but it's also smell neutralizer in general. Zinc is used in anti-dandruff and anti-acne products too.

I also think lotions can be a sneaky culprit. Some flowery lotions smell terrible after a few hours, where other types of lotions smell good continously. Some people swear by pure cocoa butter, as keeps a good scent continously. Though I think unscented lotions are better, and there are all kinds out there to experiment with.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I learned that the idea that foreigners stink came from when the Dutch first came to Japan, after sailing for god knows how many months, unbathed and eating beef, something Japanese didn't eat, they had a smell. I can imagine this would have largely been the case even 100 years ago regarding every Western country. Even today. In Japan old men might smell like beer, cigarettes, or B.O. An old, unclean fat guy in the States, however, could make you gag. Plus we still eat more greasy, unhealthy food that causes an odor to emit through our pores. Different physiology as well, but I'm not sure how much of a factor that would be.

As far as deodorant, yeah, just get it. The aluminum-ion containing anti-perspirants are what I used. The aluminum is not good for your body long-term, however, so in winter or inactive days I've turned to using something that prohibits bacteria growth only, thus reducing smell. Tea tree oil, lemon oil, coconut oil...Gold Bond powder has menthol which works. There's a healthy Gold Bond that uses vitamin E, aloe, lavender, etc. to slow bacteria growth. And the powder absorbs moisture. Nothing works like anti-perspirant though.

I stopped wearing deodorant and cologne on a regular basis. I still wear cologne about 50 percent of the time I go out. I wear deodorant only on select occasions. I noticed that I now sweat less, which is a good benefit.

I don't smell bad... and I think women are attracted to my natural smell, especially during their ovulation cycles.