Guest viewing is limited

Table manners you don't like about when you date a Japanese girl

あなたが本当だと証明し、クリエティブになったら、もし可能ならね?

I'm travelling with my Japanese friend, who is a senior lady, she's married to Japanese man, loves travelling abroad. It's my second time to travel together, and of course we go out for dinner, lunch sometimes, as well.

Even she is pretty well brought, she doesn't have table manners, that I would assume, if she had a dinner with a western man, he would have to face some uncomfortable moment.

Slurp, make noise when she eats, lick fingers time to time, sticks out her toungue licks her lips, makes funny gesture with lips, wave when holding a fork, etc...

Numerous time I get such an annoying moment...

But I like her alot, besides some other minor facto
r...

What do you come accross, when you find uncomfortable, or don't like about Japanese girls when you take her out?

We can wear nice clothes, be fashionable, but sorry, we mostly have no such table manners..

I remember, I had a cute friend, but when she had green tea, she slurped like a middle aged man...such a shocking factor...

Me? I go often dining with western men that I don't get pointed out so far...I even can eat ramen or noodles without making making a noise much.

How do you put up with, when you have to face it...killing mood noise that you girl made at a date...

あなたは心の問題を持っていて、日本人をけなす以外、良識のかけらもない。私はこんな人に対して時間を浪費しない。

Reactions: LeonGRAY
[

Thank you.

But I got "中傷" this guy doesn't know who I am.
He can't stop. Maybe it's better close this thread..
Really Yurikio. it’s an online forum. Why do you even care what someone says about you?
Stick him on ignore, and go on with your day.

Thank you for "ignore" function. The thread looks cleaner to me.

Ahhhh in Japan, i noticed that people slup a lot when they eat.
Sometimes they hold a bowl (rice etc) in one hand up off the table so its closer to their mouth.
Elbows on the table

Hold a bowl in one hand and put off the table, is how you eat rice in Japan. It's a natural behavier for Japanese, but maybe not for some countries. Interesting.

I don't like chewing sound you make when eating. Nor talk whilst chewing. We learn not to do that when we're kid. But maybe not for some cases.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Hold a bowl in one hand and put off the table, is how you eat rice in Japan. It's a natural behavier for Japanese, but maybe not for some countries. Interesting.

I don't like chewing sound you make when eating. Nor talk whilst chewing. We learn not to do that when we're kid. But maybe not for some cases.
I grew up in a very poor household. I used to eat a page out of the phone book everyday. That’s how I survived. I also used to try to chew water.

It's cultural difference. Japanese consider holding the bowl off the table as the proper way of eating. Don't judge their ways of eating in a westerner's point of view, especially when you are in their territory.
It’s not a matter of territory. If you are in a western restaurant even in Japan, or eating western food in a home even in Japan, you should not pick up the bowl. Especially if you are eating with Yuriko.

Pretty sure talking whilst eating is considered bad manners everywhere. Its gross and in my opinion shows a kind of arrogance, or at least impatience "what I have to say is so important that a) it must be heard right now, b) the food particles Im gonna shower all over you are a small price to pay for my wisdom and c) Im such a f*cking child I can't wait to say it.

I also hate the sound people make when they eat Yuriko, but there isn't much people can do about that.
Don't worry though; it means we are smart https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/why-you-hate-the-sound-of-chewing/

It’s not a matter of territory. If you are in a western restaurant even in Japan, or eating western food in a home even in Japan, you should not pick up the bowl. Especially if you are eating with Yuriko.

You missed my reply to @BankerguyCanada

I grew up in a very poor household. I used to eat a page out of the phone book everyday. That’s how I survived. I also used to try to chew water.

I used to pick up some phone number and call from my father's company's employee's address book, when I was small in NYC, and said something very weird in Japanese, instead of eating it. I couldn't think of that, as a daughter of Japanese expat.lol.

Reactions: warubuta
Well, there is slurp and slurp.
Most women do gentle slurps which don't bother me that much but when the oji sans do their mega loud slurping I just want to throw anything at their face just to make them stop.

Also, if your're the cutest lady on earth but you chew with your mouth open, YOU'RE FIRED.

Nose picking in the train is something I witness on a daily basis. Both men and women.

Reactions: Yuriko
Talking with a motuh full of food and the chewing with an open mouth bothers me a lot. I notice this more with Koreans and Chinese.

One foot on the seat, knee up, like some yankee chinpira style. But this I often see in other southern Asian countries.

She can be a supermodel. These actions will still be the deal breaker for me.

They never propose to pay the bill :D

No? They do to me, some are even serious about it so it's not always "I take my wallet out so it's like I am offering to pay half" kind of thing. Some even insist on paying half of the hotel bill later. :p

When I’m eating Japanese food with chopsticks, I bring the bowl up from the table closer to my mouth because:
. I’m eating with chopsticks, it’s easier to drop the food on the table. Something you pick by the fork is less likely to fall.
. Soups are more watery and food is less saucy & has less consistency than western equivalents. It’s easier to make a mess and splash things around. Bowl close to mouth avoids that.
So it makes sense to eat Japanese food the Japanese way. Actually I can get better taste when I’m eating from earthware with wooden utensils.

I agree chewing and slurping sounds can be annoying :(

Last edited:
No? They do to me, some are even serious about it so it's not always "I take my wallet out so it's like I am offering to pay half" kind of thing. Some even insist on paying half of the hotel bill later. :p
Oh shut up, you have the BO, it’s normal ... frankly they should be happy you don’t even charge them for its usage :D

Reactions: MikeH
Mike has bad Body Odor?
And girls still want to split the bill. Interesting.
I’m not gonna shower before I go out tonight in Tokyo to test this new theory.

BO= Beautiful One (his dick)
So apparently its so beautiful that even if he had bad BO (Body Odor) they would still want him. The 8th wonder of the world .

Reactions: MikeH and Yuriko