The Anything Goes Thread

Nobody is holding their camera on some salaryman about to enter a soapland, commentating how they're about to fuck. Well, at least not any people with a brain. All the people "walking by" give just as many fucks about a guy with a camera as they do about a guy standing around with his phone in his hand chatting on LINE. It's 2022 and for better or worse, cameras, smartphones, streams and all the other shit is part of society now so I highly doubt that the average Japanese person is offended when they appear on some guy's video for half a second, masked up at that. On the contrary, more often than not people actually want to engage with someone because of the camera and find it interesting.

Japanese people famously have fond feelings for Jake Paul.

I will admit, on the street is mostly fair game, but be aware of your surroundings. I see the following sign in a lot of places, and I don't think it's solely for decorative purposes:
e-netsign_t2-60.jpg

Yeah, I agree - if someone points a camera at a random person and just films them for multiple minutes, that's stupid as fuck and disrespectful. Anything else is an overreaction and out of touch with the times. It's not 1990 anymore and this applies to a bunch of things I've seen people say on here.

Twice in the past two years, I've seen different Chinese guys wandering around Dogenzaka filming shops, love hotels, girls and their customers, narrating the whole damn thing. I think a dude who does that should face consequences for it, that's my primary issue.

As to all the rest of the dudes wandering around streaming, thinking their lives are endlessly fascinating and everyone else is an NPC: I can accept that they are assholes, and I can ignore them. But just imagine a world where you didn't have to do that?

Last edited:
Reactions: IchigoDave
Twice in the past two years, I've seen different Chinese guys wandering around Dogenzaka filming shops, love hotels, girls and their customers, narrating the whole damn thing. I think a dude who does that should face consequences for it, that's my primary issue.

As to all the rest of the dudes wandering around streaming, thinking their lives are endlessly fascinating and everyone else is an NPC: I can accept that they are assholes, and I can ignore them. But just imagine a world where you didn't have to do that?

It could be fun if somehow they end up trying to stream a yakuza boss burial ceremony or uyoku assembly , sthg like that

Went to a dinner at friend’s house. Someone’s boyfriend, in the middle of dinner, video called someone that none of us knew, and we watched that guy’s toddler do toddler things on a phone whilst I tried to eat dinner.
Clearly I am old because I’d rather not be on the phone with some dude’s kid; I’d rather be having dinner with my friends?

Same person (friend’s boyfriend) video called his sister when we were on a long train ride. Speaker phone loud English in the middle of a train…man sorry but a) talk to the people you are WITH and b) if you’re going to video call someone make it someone relevant to the group you’re with? And finally c) middle of a train or dinner ? Just fucking don’t.

But everyone younger than me thought it was totally fine and normal behavior so clearly it’s just me.

Sadly he is actually a really good dude. He’s just young and it is a different culture than what I am used to.

Kids.
These.
Days.

Well, once again - there are bad ones and good ones. There are the ones you are talking about (and there certainly are a lot of those) but the few good ones are really good. The one I talked about is in general a great guy, humble, respectful and knows he's lucky to be able to do what he does instead of wasting away in a cubicle in Tokyo somewhere. He's one of the people who inspired me to just go on this one year trip I am on right now. That 3000 kilometer cycle across Japan he did was probably the best thing I've ever watched on a stream, so many great places and people he met in rural Japan and so forth.

But anyway, I think we said enough on this topic

@Maxblack: Fucking hate people just whipping out phones and watching shit on it while around others. Really think this is an actual "new" generation thing (as in...idk, I am 30 my friends generally do not do that).

Went to a dinner at friend’s house. Someone’s boyfriend, in the middle of dinner, video called someone that none of us knew, and we watched that guy’s toddler do toddler things on a phone whilst I tried to eat dinner.
Clearly I am old because I’d rather not be on the phone with some dude’s kid; I’d rather be having dinner with my friends?

Same person (friend’s boyfriend) video called his sister when we were on a long train ride. Speaker phone loud English in the middle of a train…man sorry but a) talk to the people you are WITH and b) if you’re going to video call someone make it someone relevant to the group you’re with? And finally c) middle of a train or dinner ? Just fucking don’t.

But everyone younger than me thought it was totally fine and normal behavior so clearly it’s just me.

Sadly he is actually a really good dude. He’s just young and it is a different culture than what I am used to.

Kids.
These.
Days.
Hah no idea which culture this would be normal but I guess in europe at least I'd also find it a bit rude tbh

Reactions: Maxblack
Well, once again - there are bad ones and good ones. There are the ones you are talking about (and there certainly are a lot of those) but the few good ones are really good. The one I talked about is in general a great guy, humble, respectful and knows he's lucky to be able to do what he does instead of wasting away in a cubicle in Tokyo somewhere. He's one of the people who inspired me to just go on this one year trip I am on right now. That 3000 kilometer cycle across Japan he did was probably the best thing I've ever watched on a stream, so many great places and people he met in rural Japan and so forth.

But anyway, I think we said enough on this topic

This is probably generational, I agree. I'm older than you by roughly a decade, and I can think of no experience that ever has been or likely could be improved by adding a streamer to it. It's nice that one of them has added something to your life, but on balance, I'm fine without.

And that's enough on this topic for me, too.

Reactions: Danbo
Just going to add two cents here:

The “no camera” dialogue is not Boomer-esque at all. A lot of factors include knowledge of technology and internet culture, of which many boomers and other older age groups end up violating the same rules put in place by supposedly their generation.

For example, a friend of mine from a poor South Asian country invited his family to Japan, and gave his father a cellphone. His father never owned a cell phone, and completely oblivious to Japan’s rules would stand in the middle of the Yamanote car with video and speaker connecting to his wife or kid’s phone and start shouting describing where he is and even describing people on the train. Needless to say, my friend being a “good son” tried to get his dad to stop to no avail and sat in utter embarrassment as ever-forgiving Japanese looked on with frustration but kindly ignoring him.

It was literally the worst display of ignorance I’ve ever seen in this country coming from someone who should know better. Eventually dad figured out he needed to stop doing that after I and a few older people explained to him why he couldn’t, but incidents like these are not isolated to pretentious gen Z streamers.

The “no camera” dialogue is not Boomer-esque at all.

Late to the party here but 'no camera' is not boomer at all in Japan, It is just a cultural norm. I remember getting told off for taking a photo in Yodobashi camera the year the PS3 came out. Almost every private or semi-private institution in Japan has rules that circumscribe camera use pretty heavily, and even though (afaik) the legal regulation of photography in public places is not draconian, cultural norms are pretty strict.

Japan only have themselves to blame.

And the fucking ref who has been fucking terrible. Costa Rica should have been down to 10 men. The Costa Rica goal came RIGHT after the ref waved on an obvious foul against Japan. In the first half a Costa Rica player poleaxed a Japanese player in a PRIME spot for a free kick and then the ref gave a free kick to Costa Rica for running near a Japanese player. And just now there was a good case for handball in the Costa Rica penalty area. He is English, obviously. He will no doubt play the absolute minimum injury time now.

Fuck the English.

Soccer? What's that?

• Haha
Reactions: Danbo and Tabanico
Our distant cousins in the other side of the pond think football is played with your hands.
We know it's played with hands

It's somewhat like ice hockey only the skill level is a LOT lower imho
Calling it “ice hockey?”
Umm..the only real hockey is ever played on ice with brutal body checking and penalties. That shit on the grass called “field hockey” is the traitor in our midst 😜

Reactions: CharlieSimms
I just played a few years, and not well, but great memories. The stuff that may happen in scrums guys… 🤫
Oh, do tell, do tell :p