The Anything Goes Thread

20% of the women report having been sexually assaulted. 1% of the men report having been sexually assaulted.

That then shows us military protects its' members. As the statistics also say that in USA one in four women and one in six men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

As what comes to the drunken monkeys; the guys you are seeing are 18 year old males. Doesn't matter if they wear the camouflage or business suits, they still will be drunken monkeys on Friday night.

That then shows us military protects its' members. As the statistics also say that in USA one in four women and one in six men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

As what comes to the drunken monkeys; the guys you are seeing are 18 year old males. Doesn't matter if they wear the camouflage or business suits, they still will be drunken monkeys on Friday night.
One out of every six US civilian women report an attempt at assault in their lifetimes. One in five military women report an assault in the few short years they are in the military. The difference is staggering. US Military = Rape Culture. Open drunkeness and loutish behavior in public is terrible problem for the US military in Japan and they admit it. That is why there are regularly curfews and other restrictions for Japan-based personnel. It usually happens after, guess what? a rape or assault. Yes, 20 year old civilian drunkenness is a problem in some cultures. But the US military seems to have taken into an all new level. Interestingly, some nations have military forces that seem to behave more professionally and understand that they are representing their countries when they are abroad. From what I can see, the US military does nothing but tarnish our image abroad.

A few years ago one of these idiots from the nearby base got drunk late one night, broke the windows of a local elementary school, climbed in and passed out. The teachers and students had a nice surprise the following morning to find our Nations Finest lying in a pool of his own puke on their classroom floor.

Last time I was in Roppongi a bunch of US military guys were camped out in a fast food restaurant with big score boards to grade the female customers. Every time a female walked in the guys held up their score boards with predictable ‘banter’.

I avoid Roppongi like the plague now.

Statistics are great... But I truly believe it only creates a bias. Being people, I like to think we like to think others are usually better, especially when we work with them. We are all very good at creating an image of acceptable behavior, and when you seek more than what is represented, I'm sure you are going to find more. In the end, I think judging people is entirely normal, it's once you don't even give them a chance to prove you wrong, does the bias become extreme.

Have your opinion about the military and their people, understand they do shitty things, but also understand that this one idiot doesn't represent the rest. Just like one person doesn't represent who I am, or my values, just because I may or may not have voted for them.
It only takes one bad to slander all the good that someone does. Take that into account. We as people expect others to fail and are so willing to point it out and remember the mistake, but we often forget that they might actually be a decent person also. Good actions and bad actions don't balance each other, but an established opinion further reinforced by more information that confirms a bias only continues to polarize your opinion of something. Sorry for butting in, but I like people problems 8D Teddyと申します

I avoid Roppongi like the plague now.

That's a smart man's choice.

Have your opinion about the military and their people, understand they do shitty things, but also understand that this one idiot doesn't represent the rest.

And there you go completely wrong. Every army in the world teaches that every man or woman serving there firstly represents his unit, then his country and only then himself.

Statistics are great... But I truly believe it only creates a bias. Being people, I like to think we like to think others are usually better, especially when we work with them. We are all very good at creating an image of acceptable behavior, and when you seek more than what is represented, I'm sure you are going to find more. In the end, I think judging people is entirely normal, it's once you don't even give them a chance to prove you wrong, does the bias become extreme.

Have your opinion about the military and their people, understand they do shitty things, but also understand that this one idiot doesn't represent the rest. Just like one person doesn't represent who I am, or my values, just because I may or may not have voted for them.
It only takes one bad to slander all the good that someone does. Take that into account. We as people expect others to fail and are so willing to point it out and remember the mistake, but we often forget that they might actually be a decent person also. Good actions and bad actions don't balance each other, but an established opinion further reinforced by more information that confirms a bias only continues to polarize your opinion of something. Sorry for butting in, but I like people problems 8D Teddyと申します
The whole point of statistics is to cut through the bias. I am not sure how you think they create bias. And the whole point of anecdotes is so people can personally relate to the point being discussed. Good debate employs both.

From the beginning I said that not all military are jerks but enough of them are that it is a big problem. I agree with he OP that most military do not have any problem with LGTBQ people, but there is a large enough number that do and this is a problem for me and many others.

I haven't questioned anyone's decency. I took issue with the assertion that there are no problems with LGTBQ people in the military, and we should believe this because someone in the military says so.

Reactions: Teddyl33
There's no want to be right. I'm stating that individuals are just that, individuals. When you are part of an organization, what you do can be reflected upon them, I agree, but that doesn't change who you are. You make conscious decisions, sober or not. Reasoning bullshit actions just confirms who you are, the necessary action is to work beyond. Just my thoughts

Reactions: Yuriko
There's no want to be right. I'm stating that individuals are just that, individuals. When you are part of an organization, what you do can be reflected upon them, I agree, but that doesn't change who you are. You make conscious decisions, sober or not. Reasoning bullshit actions just confirms who you are, the necessary action is to work beyond. Just my thoughts
Huh?

The whole point of statistics is to cut through the bias. I am not sure how you think they create bias. And the whole point of anecdotes is so people can personally relate to the point being discussed. Good debate employs both.

From the beginning I said that not all military are jerks but enough of them are that it is a big problem. I agree with he OP that most military do not have any problem with LGTBQ people, but there is a large enough number that do and this is a problem for me and many others.

I haven't questioned anyone's decency. I took issue with the assertion that there are no problems with LGTBQ people in the military, and we should believe this because someone in the military says so.

Even if the point of statistics is to cut through bias, I still believe there is too much bias already and too many variables to account for. (I do apologize as I have a negative bias towards statistics also)
But that was my thing also, thus speaking so generally. I apologize if anything was received as putting words in your mouth, that was not intended. But I will say that naturally we do only spotlight negative because it creates a better story. No problems seems to be a little over the top, but I could understand where an issue could be developed with such a rhetoric.

‘Sloppy’ would be a good nickname for the sailors I see in my neighborhood. And that’s the same word senior Navy officers used to describe the guys who were in command of the ships involved in the TWO tragic collisions that occurred last year in Tokyo bay and off the coast of Singapore. Less drugs, boozing, and macho womanizing and more professional soldiering and soft diplomacy is in order here. I am done with this issue. I made my point and will now put a cork in it.

I wonder if only members of the gay community were singled out with ‘fruity’ nicknames....
Ha! Guys in that part of the military have thick skins. He either didn't GAF about it or just laughed it off.

Hell, some straight guys had worse nicknames. One guy was nicknamed with the name of the product most commonly used for polishing brass - Duraglit - because he was always "polishing" his "knob".

The military is no place for people who are sensitive.

Theres a very famous book thats relevant to recent discussion:

220px-How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg

Even people who havent read this do some of it unconsciously. Reporters are trained to do it to show whichever statistic reflects their employer's editorial position. Business people who are dealing with a struggling or failing project will twist numbers in their reports to try and make things look like less of a shitshow.

Theres also the question of what exactly is being measured and how is the measurement defined? The example many here probably know is "Foreigner crime up 20%". First thing to know is that visa overstay is a criminal offense that no japanese national can be charged with so automatically the stats are inflated to begin with. Also ask "20% compared to when?" etc.

Things to ask:
  • What was measured?
  • When was it measured?
  • What was the baseline?

Reactions: Teddyl33
Theres a very famous book thats relevant to recent discussion:

220px-How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg

Even people who havent read this do some of it unconsciously. Reporters are trained to do it to show whichever statistic reflects their employer's editorial position. Business people who are dealing with a struggling or failing project will twist numbers in their reports to try and make things look like less of a shitshow.

Theres also the question of what exactly is being measured and how is the measurement defined? The example many here probably know is "Foreigner crime up 20%". First thing to know is that visa overstay is a criminal offense that no japanese national can be charged with so automatically the stats are inflated to begin with. Also ask "20% compared to when?" etc.

Things to ask:
  • What was measured?
  • When was it measured?
  • What was the baseline?
It really gets out of hand when statistics are represented graphically. That’s where the deception really gets ridiculous. If you want to know the unbiased truth, never look at a graph.

I don't care about your experience and neither does anybody else. The US military is 69% white. 20% of the women report having been sexually assaulted. 1% of the men report having been sexually assaulted. Yes, most of what I read, I read on the internet, just like everyone else. But I usually look for two or three credible sources before I believe what I read. Then I calibrate it with what I see with my own eyes. You seem to base everything on your own experience. I don't refute the truth of your experience but I do refute that it is representative of reality. If you were a woman or a man who had been sexually assaulted by your fellow soldiers you would have a different opinion. I am sure of that. Just as I am sure that the military is full of socially retrograde, bigoted rednecks. I have confirmed the facts and I have seen them with my own eyes. And thank you for your service.
I agree. The stories I’ve read and seen of rapes where mostly perpetrated by white males on white females. I’m sure that other ethnicities are raped, but a majority of the rapes are by white miles. So it seems. But rape is underreported and you will never know the extent of it. Considering other angles to male rape, it doesn’t have to be always done by penis to ass action. Broom sticks are used, and other tools. As well as that, gays rape other males. So that 1 percent number doesn’t tell all of the incidents and how they occurred. But after reading about Kim Jong Un I likened the US military mentality to the same behavior but less hardcore. From what I understand, the slut types are fine, it’s the prudish and guillable women that these rapist love to prey on. No different than regular America. Rape culture is a disturbing thing in American society and so it’s a problem in the US military too!

Right there you basically prove you don't know what you're talking about.

In my last unit of about 32 people only 7 of them were ethnically white, Amerian males. The commander was a Philipino-American. Another officer had emigrated from Africa in his teens. The ranks were a UN of skin tones and ethnicities. The senior Sergeant was a lesbian.

Stop pretending you know everything about everything just because you read it on the internet.
He’s talking about statistics on rape not unit stats. Some units are all women for that matter. But one can’t look at that unit and then say that the statistics are invalidated by that information. There are many bases and housing off base that are the source of the stats. Boot camp and recruiting are sources of stats. Documentaries and charges and convictions are sources of stats.

Some units are all women for that matter.

That doesn't stop the rapes, only the reports of them as the news organisations are not interested in telling that story.

Reactions: Simonka
Ha! Guys in that part of the military have thick skins. He either didn't GAF about it or just laughed it off.

The military is no place for people who are sensitive.

Hmm... I await lawsuits from Raspberry Beret along with his chums Lance Corporal Pansy Ass, Major Big Tits, Private Ironside and Colonel Gook.

Hmm... I await lawsuits from Raspberry Beret along with his chums Lance Corporal Pansy Ass, Major Big Tits, Private Ironside and Colonel Gook.
I always laugh when I see BS portrayed about the military in the movies. Guys with nicknames like "Iceman" or "war daddy" or something cool. IRL it's very rare to hear a nickname anybody would be proud of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frenchy and Ken1988
I always laugh when I see BS portrayed about the military in the movies. Guys with nicknames like "Iceman" or "war daddy" or something cool. IRL it's very rare to hear a nickname anybody would be proud of.
Mad Dog? :ROFLMAO: