Guest viewing is limited

Things You Would Change About Japan

The recent news just reminded me of this.

I would definitely change how Japanese view child safety in vehicles. They need to look at safety as a whole but it's amazing how many I see with children not strapped into a child seat. They should know better.

The recent news just reminded me of this.

I would definitely change how Japanese view child safety in vehicles. They need to look at safety as a whole but it's amazing how many I see with children not strapped into a child seat. They should know better.

Child safety seats are actually mandated by law for children 6 and under - and have been since spring of 2000. For passengers 7 and up, including adults, seatbelts have been required in all seats since 2008 - and that includes taxis. What's needed is actual enforcement... and it would be good if they upped the penalty, at the moment it's just a one point ticket with no fine attached.

Reactions: Muku1
You guys talking about child safety seats, what about all the Japanese children I see riding bicycles with NO helmets? Even seeing Japanese women with a kid in the front and back of the bicycle, with no helmets. A man could lose his entire family in 1 bad accident. I'm OK with adults with no helmets, but definitely would like to see it mandatory or enforced for children under 12.

You guys talking about child safety seats, what about all the Japanese children I see riding bicycles with NO helmets? Even seeing Japanese women with a kid in the front and back of the bicycle, with no helmets. A man could lose his entire family in 1 bad accident. I'm OK with adults with no helmets, but definitely would like to see it mandatory or enforced for children under 12.

This may come as no surprise - but it is mandatory for children 12 and under to wear a bicycle helmet, as of 2008.

It's also illegal to ride a bicycle while carrying an umbrella - even if it's in a hands-free clamp. Bicycles are also supposed to be ridden only on the left side of the road, too.

Again, the problem is one of enforcement, though with bicycles, it's most common for the rider to simply ignore the cop and ride on knowing that a running cop isn't going to be able to catch up to a bicycle. There's been discussion about requiring bicycles to display license plates because the problems with enforcing bicycle regulations are so widespread.

Child safety seats are actually mandated by law for children 6 and under - and have been since spring of 2000. For passengers 7 and up, including adults, seatbelts have been required in all seats since 2008 - and that includes taxis. What's needed is actual enforcement... and it would be good if they upped the penalty, at the moment it's just a one point ticket with no fine attached.
Didn't know they had a law for this.

Compared to other countries, Japanese people are quite good with education as appose to enforcement. They are genuinely ignorant about this and so I think there should be more education on this topic. Anyone who has had a child in Japan will know that they put a lot of emphasis during the pregnancy stage to educate parents on the basics. They ought to add this to their training. It's such a shame to read about all these avoidable car accidents and deaths in the news.

Again, the problem is one of enforcement
You can apply this to almost all laws in Japan. Arbitrary enforcement. (n)(n)(n)

You can apply this to almost all laws in Japan. Arbitrary enforcement. (n)(n)(n)

So true. They let all these parents get away with failing to buckle in their kids, but if you rip, smear, or write graffiti on a political campaign sign, you'll be arrested so fast it'll make your head spin.

So true. They let all these parents get away with failing to buckle in their kids, but if you rip, smear, or write graffiti on a political campaign sign, you'll be arrested so fast it'll make your head spin.
Or if you park your mamachari at the wrong place!

Funny article. I do wonder though does Japan give a certain amount of leniency to the censorship laws for art like the US does...

That's crazy. As it is, many Japanese are virtual work-slaves. 10 to 12 hour work days, 6 days a week, and/or nearly no time off. And then even socializing with co-workers after work, so no escaping this quasi jail.

It's amazing how so many Japanese workers tolerate this abuse. If you are not going to pay workers for overtime, at least give them "comp time" (compensatory time). That is, for every hour of overtime work that they do, they can get an hour off.
I was more or less reading two articles at the same time, what I was thinking of was a court case against Ethnic Koreans. Then I saw the overtime article and misspoke. But deregulation will mean not getting overtime based on the system of designating hourly employees as managers and making them work for free or even asking them to work off the clock now. But an old geezer like me is bound to make a mistake here or there or just about every time I think too fast.

That's crazy. As it is, many Japanese are virtual work-slaves. 10 to 12 hour work days, 6 days a week, and/or nearly no time off. And then even socializing with co-workers after work, so no escaping this quasi jail.

It's amazing how so many Japanese workers tolerate this abuse. If you are not going to pay workers for overtime, at least give them "comp time" (compensatory time). That is, for every hour of overtime work that they do, they can get an hour off.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/11/...yment-for-overtime-according-to-labor-survey/

I hate to offer this for fear of the back lash, but what the heck. Purely from the point of view of a part time visitor (x2 per year) and a non-kanji reader (I know nobodies fault but my own) it would be nice if the street signs had their names written in the Latin alphabet beneath their proper Kanji names.

[...]

I will admit that I do love getting lost and not being able to read the street signs has gotten me lost more than I'd care to admit in Japan. It's allowed me to discover parts of Japan I wouldn't have otherwise discovered as well as serving as a great ice breaker when asking for directions, a place to eat or better a local bar for a cold one.

We are in 2015. You dont have a smartphone, tablet or laptop? Google maps or navigators will put you back in course.

Sometimes it better to just stay unplugged. Besides wouldn't using Google maps be cheating(n)

This is one reason that I don't think I could handle Being a permanent resident in Japan. I'm my own boss right now ( in a sense, at least), but if I ever needed to work for a company, I don't think I could hack the traditional Japanese work schedule. It seems so grueling. These guys are truly working hard.

That's also probably why I will never marry a japanese woman. Or at least, one who expects me to slave away for Her benefit like most salarymen.

Every Friday and Saturday night in both Fukuoka and Nagasaki you could see those guys drinking their stress away and puking their guts out. I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for them. People say Japan is a " man's country"
But is it really? If it is, it's still purchased at way too high a price.

This is one reason that I don't think I could handle Being a permanent resident in Japan. I'm my own boss right now ( in a sense, at least), but if I ever needed to work for a company, I don't think I could hack the traditional Japanese work schedule. It seems so grueling. These guys are truly working hard.

That's also probably why I will never marry a japanese woman. Or at least, one who expects me to slave away for Her benefit like most salarymen.

Sure, and the other thing to consider is any woman you might be seriously dating might be buying into the zangyou (overtime) mindset, which is going to put a serious dent in your relationship too.

Reactions: GoldenDalton
Sure, and the other thing to consider is any woman you might be seriously dating might be buying into the zangyou (overtime) mindset, which is going to put a serious dent in your relationship too.

I can see how that could cause problems. In my opinion no relationship is worth a lifetime of that kind of labor. I value my personal freedom too much. I'm becoming more certain that I should just keep going on shorter, but more frequent trips, and just let go of the idea of adapting to a long term stay. It sounds too painful.

Every Friday and Saturday night in both Fukuoka and Nagasaki you could see those guys drinking their stress away and puking their guts out. I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for them. People say Japan is a " man's country"
But is it really? If it is, it's still purchased at way too high a price.
I have never heard that. I have heard that it is a woman's country. The woman controls all spending. The woman has more floors to go shopping in the mall. The woman has power in the bedroom. If the man doesn't do, the woman denies sex. When she gets tired, runs off with the kids. So if this is a man's country, the stuff I hear and see don't match!

Reactions: GoldenDalton
I have never heard that. I have heard that it is a woman's country. The woman controls all spending.

This is old-school thinking in Japan. Back in the days where men had lifetime employment with companies, and they had marriages where wives lived more or less parallel but separate lives, this was the case. There is some growth for women in powerful positions (government and big business), but to claim that this is a 'woman's country' isn't nearly accurate.

Reactions: Emma-Emerio
Oh, you mean on that level. Then I agree. But still women have more power than admitted.

I am guessing 7 percent maybe 10 have power positions, but at home the man has not much power.

I mainly just said the phrase because that's what western feminists throw out there to shame american men who date foreign women, particularly in Asian countries.

"You just want one of them because they are submissive and its a man's country. We won't put up with your crap, so you want a woman who won't challenge you."

these women never stop and think about how ridiculous they sound. No I don't want someone who will always be up in my face starting ish, after i come in from a long day of earning money on these vicious, violent streets. Who would?

What man wants a mate who is going to test his " swag" all the time as if she were a guy? These western women demand way too damn much. The reason is that they know they can get away with it, as the state and society fully backs the feminine imperative on all fronts. Hell, in the middle of rural Afghanistan and Iraq, ankle deep in blood, we still had to attend those bullshit seminars about " privelege."

Anyway sorry for the rant lol. Long night.

Reactions: Solong