United States - 2016 Election Thread

Who do you vote for? (Virtual Poll, Nothing Serious!)

• Clinton

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Trump

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of the many unusual things about the recent US presidential election was that Trump actually lost his home state of New York, but he still won the national election (electoral vote at least although, technically speaking, the Electoral College hasn't actually voted yet).

I wonder if that has ever happened before? Has anyone else been elected president despite losing in his home state?

Of course, Clinton also had ties to New York. Generally, she did better in New York City and other urban areas while he did better in rural areas ("Upstate New York").

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/new-york

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One of the many unusual things about the recent US presidential election was that Trump actually lost his home state of New York, but he still won the national election (electoral vote at least although, technically speaking, the Electoral College hasn't actually voted yet).

I wonder if that has ever happened before? Has anyone else been elected president despite losing in his home state?

Of course, Clinton also had ties to New York. Generally, she did better in New York City and other urban areas while he did better in rural areas ("Upstate New York").

Technically Al Gore won in 2000 despite losing Tennessee.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
This article sums it up quite well.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-donald-trump-candidate-of-change/
"His supporters realize he's a joke. They do not care. They know he's authoritarian, nationalist, almost un-American, and they love him anyway, because he disrupts a broken political process and beats establishment candidates who've long ignored their interests.""

Lame stream media garbage. He's about to appoint establishment Republicans to fill staff positions throughout his administration. His staff and policies are likely going to look more establishment than disruptive.

Technically Al Gore won in 2000 despite losing Tennessee.
Forgot about that. Gore won the popular vote, but lost the electoral vote. In the end, the Supreme Court effectively chose Bush the Younger. So, in a way, the votes of only five people really counted in 2000.

Last edited:
Lame stream media garbage. He's about to appoint establishment Republicans to fill staff positions throughout his administration. His staff and policies are likely going to look more establishment than disruptive.
Yes that might be true and it would be bad.

But from there same article.
"The Democrats have signaled that they'll run on the idea that a Trump presidency is just too "risky" and "dangerous." But that shows a real misunderstanding of his appeal as a candidate. The subtext of every Trump rally is basically take this risk, take this gamble -- it may all end in tears, but it's worth a shot"

First it's right wing media crap, then it's Russian hackers and now it's lame stream garbage :ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry. I have this uncanny ability to aggregate information and come to my own conclusions instead of relying on lists aggregated by others. I also question authority constantly, including our media overlords.

But hey, believe what you want. Have you checked the market today? The Dow Jones has finished at an all time high. Donald Trump is signaling to the markets he's going to run a very conventional (read: not disruptive) administration the day after the election. Whether he does that is another matter yet to be seen. Does CBS news say anything about that?

Reactions: DireWolf98
And Columbus discovered an America full of 'Indians.'

If you noticed, I qualified what I said by using the term 'practically.'
Yes, I noticed and still chose to reply.

IMHO, it seems like you are over-reacting. However, I can't tell if you are being light-hearted or good natured. It's the limitations of the two-dimensional nature of posting on Message Boards.

Lame stream media garbage. (Snip)...
Agreed. CBS (and other networks) has been "in the tank" for the Democrats for decades. Their views on Trump supporters are hardly enlightening. One might be better-off soliciting the views of a junkie in East Village.

Reactions: Sudsy
The most worrying part of his newly published program (www.greatagain.gov) is really his desire to consume the most polluting energy (coal) and to qualify the global warming as an hoax when 97% of the scientific community accepted it(https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-the-scientific-consensus-on-global-warming/) and even Exxon Mobil finally admitted it after decades of funding climate sceptical associations.

Tbh, guys, I do feel this guy is a clown but I should admit that I feel some excitation about the mess he is going to make. It will make at least my life more fun and as a banker I will make surely a load of money with higher volatility and the repel of Dodd Frank. I don't know if we will all survive this presidency, but one thing is sure, if we die in the coming four years it won't be of boredom.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The most worrying part of his newly published program (www.greatagain.gov) is really his desire to consume the most polluting energy (coal) and to qualify the global warming as an hoax when 97% of the scientific community accepted it(https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-the-scientific-consensus-on-global-warming/) and even Exxon Mobil finally admitted it after decades of funding climate sceptical associations.

Tbh, guys, I do feel this guy is a clown but I should admit that I feel some excitation about the mess he is going to make. It will make at least my life more fun and as a banker I will make surely a load of money with higher volatility and the repel of Dodd Frank. I don't know if we will all survive this presidency, but one thing is sure, if we die in the coming four years it won't be of boredom.

Trump's promise to coal miners was a joke. Capitalism will trump coal. Natural gas is cheaper, produces less pollution, and more efficient. Older coal burning power plants are being replaced with gas power plants. I wouldn't be concerned about coal unless President Trump plans to subsidize it. Otherwise, it's not competitive with natural gas.

Hah, that's because they know him so well in New York!

Pence is the real danger i think, he's already saying that he'll prioritice to take LGBT rights away again.

Pence doesn't have any power. Regardless, the republicans will control everything so lgbt, abortion, voting rights, will go down the drain. For Trump's cooperation Congress might enact some of Trump's protectionist agenda.

In response to:

Nikkei has dropped guys.
Trump is gonna be bad for business.

I said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Markets like certainty, ironic as without uncertainty we wouldn't have markets. The decline is not so much that Trump is bad for business but rather that the result was unexpected. Exactly the same thing happened in the aftermath of the unexpected brexit result. it only lasted a few days and now almost all economic indices eg ftse100, ftse250, GDP are up way past what they were before the vote.

It seems I was right:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37934203

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nikkei-bounces-back-strongly-as-asian-markets-rebound-2016-11-09

I think people just need time to get used to having a different kind of President. The last two President's weren't very good so it will difficult for Trump to be worse than those guys. Obama achieved next to nothing for the American people despite all the goodwill people gave him. And Bush was a clown.

Also the Democrats seem to be imploding with protests and petitions, ironically Hilliary is the only one keeping it together. So it looks like Trump could be around for another 8 years. Trump's team will ensure that his more extreme ideas are held back so nobody needs to worry too much.

The democrats have been stagnating for a long time. They need to go through their own revolution like the Republicans did. Yeah hillary can be a cool customer, but the Clintons need to disappear.

Reactions: cabbie and MossBoss

Last time it happened was 100 years ago when Woodrow Wilson lost his home state of New Jersey.

Pence doesn't have any power. Regardless, the republicans will control everything so lgbt, abortion, voting rights, will go down the drain. For Trump's cooperation Congress might enact some of Trump's protectionist agenda.

There's a story out there that Donald Trump offered the VP spot to John Kasich (governor of Ohio). In exchange for Gov Kasich accepting the VP slot, Trump would hand over governance of domestic and foreign affairs to him while Trump, I may be paraphrasing 'goes around making America great again.' If that same offer was made to Mike Pence, he may be the most powerful VP in history (and the last two were consequential and powerful too).

Reactions: John Chavers