Guest viewing is limited

White Day 2017

One little technicality I'm interested in is whether you're supposed to give chocolate to someone you've started seeing after VD since technically she didn't give you anything on VD as she didn't know you yet.

(VD is my acronym for Valentine's Day, I can't imagine why it's not more popular)

Reactions: SugoiBoy
(VD is my acronym for Valentine's Day, I can't imagine why it's not more popular)
No, I can't imagine why either! :ROFLMAO:

For the Japanese girls I've dated, they've insisted on following the white day tradition which was totally foreign to me when I first heard about it. I like chocolate, so it doesn't bother me... at least this year, I think I'm getting a nice dinner out of it. :) - The girl I'm currently seeing, she's not big on sweets, so she got Disney tickets instead along with a card.

WD reminds me kind of strange incident back in my middle school days.
I met a good looking, one year older high school student at some shop close to my house one day before white day. He came talked me, asked if I knew this girl in my school; I was wearing my school uniform.
I said no, but I could look her up by using roll. He gave me a box of cookie? he just bought at the shop, told me a name of the girl and his house phone number just in case of I couldn't find her.
The story is he got a box of chocolate on Valentine's day from the girl of my school he met every morning on a train. He would have liked to give her a gift in return on White day but it was not his school day so he was not going to get on a train in the morning so wanted me who went to the same school as hers to give it to her instead. I believe she didn't give him any information but her name.
Life is full of wonder. On that night, I found his name in my brother's roll. 3 months later, he became my very first boyfriend in my life.

One little technicality I'm interested in is whether you're supposed to give chocolate to someone you've started seeing after VD since technically she didn't give you anything on VD as she didn't know you yet.

It's more used for Venereal Disease, I think. Which makes your post more fun to read ! :D

Reactions: Mwktm
WD reminds me kind of strange incident back in my middle school days.
I met a good looking, one year older high school student at some shop close to my house one day before white day. He came talked me, asked if I knew this girl in my school; I was wearing my school uniform.
I said no, but I could look her up by using roll. He gave me a box of cookie? he just bought at the shop, told me a name of the girl and his house phone number just in case of I couldn't find her.
The story is he got a box of chocolate on Valentine's day from the girl of my school he met every morning on a train. He would have liked to give her a gift in return on White day but it was not his school day so he was not going to get on a train in the morning so wanted me who went to the same school as hers to give it to her instead. I believe she didn't give him any information but her name.
Life is full of wonder. On that night, I found his name in my brother's roll. 3 months later, he became my very first boyfriend in my life.

That's a sweet story.

That's a sweet story.

Feel sorry for the girl though.
He also put a card inside the box, saying "please find someone better."
After I gave the box to her next morning at school, she came back to me a few days later. (She thought we were dating!) asked me to tell him that she wouldn't get on the same train any more. It is not a sweet story for her(sigh)

For the Japanese girls I've dated, they've insisted on following the white day tradition which was totally foreign to me when I first heard about it. I like chocolate, so it doesn't bother me... at least this year, I think I'm getting a nice dinner out of it. :) - The girl I'm currently seeing, she's not big on sweets, so she got Disney tickets instead along with a card.

Because Valentines day to the Japanese has nothing to do with love, if you receive chocolates on Vday, take it with a pinch of salt.

As for white day no Japanese woman is going to be jumping through hoops because a guy gave her a gift on white day.

Reactions: Frenchy
Because Valentines day to the Japanese has nothing to do with love, if you receive chocolates on Vday, take it with a pinch of salt.

As for white day no Japanese woman is going to be jumping through hoops because a guy gave her a gift on white day.
Good lord.. you are not in the same country as I am, obviously. Jeez.
As it so happens my JAPANESE gf asked me what kind of food I wanted for our dinner on the 14th. She's 'jumping through hoops' to arrange our schedules and make reservations for an upscale dinner.

Good lord.. you are not in the same country as I am, obviously. Jeez.
As it so happens my JAPANESE gf asked me what kind of food I wanted for our dinner on the 14th. She's 'jumping through hoops' to arrange our schedules and make reservations for an upscale dinner.

They will do anything to get that ring on their finger, do you think she will do the same when you are married?

They will do anything to get that ring on their finger, do you think she will do the same when you are married?
Interesting theory... we'll see how the future plays out. I don't think we've even discussed anything like that yet.. I prefer to live in the moment and enjoy life instead of worrying about 'WHAT IF'.

Reactions: e-smile and Frenchy
Interesting theory... we'll see how the future plays out. I don't think we've even discussed anything like that yet.. I prefer to live in the moment and enjoy life instead of worrying about 'WHAT IF'.

It's fine to live in the moment.

I am just saying that it is some thing to be aware of, as I have seen it far too often and most foreigners do not want to accept
that Japanese woman have different views/values about marriage than western women.

simple solution for all who dont feel enlightment: divorce...

and then enjoy the next white day...

Afraid not!!

My wife does not see any reason too when we live in Japan.

A lot of Japanese women expect a foreign partner to be more Japanese after marriage.
Very true , but to be fair mine was never much attracted by my country to start with. She wanted an American dude, too bad, she got none and I ended up with an American GF (Alas in a LDR)

Reactions: justhavefun

As someone who's been married to the same woman for more than a decade, yes, she does. Seems yours doesn't, and sorry to hear that.

As someone who's been married to the same woman for more than a decade, yes, she does. Seems yours doesn't, and sorry to hear that.

Please do not make assumptions about my marriage based on my posts, I am only discussing what can happen if some one is not aware of the possibilities of how a marriage can turn out with a Japanese partner, as there are cultural differences at play that would not be experienced in a marriage with a western partner.

In fact we are very happy.

Reactions: Sudsy
You're a blessed man! Congrats! (Seriously) (y)

Please do not make assumptions about my marriage based on my posts, I am only discussing what can happen if some one is not aware of the possibilities of how a marriage can turn out with a Japanese partner, as there are cultural differences at play that would not be experienced in a marriage with a western partner.

In fact we are very happy.
Don't you ever stop to think that just MAYBE, just MAYBE... some Japanese women marry westerners because they want a different life than what they grew up with. And by marrying a non-Japanese, this gives them a better opportunity to have that new life and see more of what variety of the western world has to offer. ;)

Don't you ever stop to think that just MAYBE, just MAYBE... some Japanese women marry westerners because they want a different life than what they grew up with. And by marrying a non-Japanese, this gives them a better opportunity to have that new life and see more of what variety of the western world has to offer. ;)

You're absolutely right. But that doesn't prevent some of those "some" to become ice-cold bitchy entitled queens once they get the ring or later, after kids are born. I don't mean that "all" of the "some" are like this though.