Will Living Separately From My Wife For A Time, Cause Problems With My Next Spouse Visa Renewal?

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative...but why is this the case? I assume it is just because they generally don't trust all foreigners right?

If a Japanese husband goes to Tokyo to support a family they don't bat an eye, but if a foreigner does it, then everybody loses their minds lol. It seems strange that being honest and saying there are more work opportunities in larger cities is an unreasonable thing to explain to them...

Immigration's job is to verify that you are in the country legally. This isn't a racism thing. In every developed country, immigration is going to be naturally suspicious of those getting a marriage visa. The point of a spousal visa is for you to be with your spouse.

There's others that probably have more anecdotal evidence supporting your situation, but I would certainly think that you telling them that you are living apart from your wife (which would probably be a better idea than straight up lying to them) would at the very least kick off a more in-depth look at your situation. There would be a lot of factors they'd probably look at, including how long you've been married and possibly what your income is. I'd assume that obtaining a marriage visa and getting a renewal will probably be a point in your favor.

If they can't understand that Shizuoka City is a tiny city with very limited work options for foreigners, then they are delusional.

As I said, it really has nothing to do with 'understanding' your work situation. It's your choice to live in Shizuoka with your wife.

As long as you're returning to Shizuoka regularly on the weekends, and can demonstrate such (keep receipts for train tickets), it's all golden.
(my emphasis)

I can't speak specifically for TJB's current state, but I don't think that his relationship with his wife or his financial situation is going to lend itself to him going back to Shizuoka a few times a month. I might be mistaken.

There's quite a lot of contradictions in these posts. Dude needs someone he can explain the truth to. It's not us. We are listening to what he's thinking at the time.

There's a "Wait for it" post in many of the threads. That post that makes the original post completely different to you.

storytime.jpg

Ok, so some updates. I am living separately from my wife, but my registered address is still her address. I am not working in Tokyo. I am still living here in Shizuoka, but I have been getting a lot more work and money coming in though.

My wife and I have been improving the marriage and she doesn't want to divorce me or cause drama anymore. We just want to make things work, but her mom does hate me and doesn't want me living there.

I keep telling my wife to move into a place with me, but she lives really close to her work and it is really convenient to keep living there for the time being.

So the plan for me is to keep living with my Japanese friend and apply for the new spouse visa while keeping the same registered address of course. I want to rent out a cheap room as soon as I obtain the new spouse visa (if I obtain it) and then just have her stay with me at least part time at first.

Anyway, with these updates in mind...does this improve my chances?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
If you live separately from your wife more than six months they can cancel your visa; even the new visa will not stay valid to the end of it's period like it used to do in case of divorce or separation.

As far as I remember you need her to submit your renewal papers.

That's not true. I go to immigration by myself every renewal. You do need her to Hanko a guaranteer's form, but that's it. Everything else can be done by yourself.

@impish
Most of us go to immigration ourselves. Needing "her" hanko is still needing "her" isn't it?
TJB realize you still her support for your renewal docs. Most of us need either our company's or spouses support.

@impish
Most of us go to immigration ourselves. Needing "her" hanko is still needing "her" isn't it?
TJB realize you still her support for your renewal docs. Most of us need either our company's or spouses support.

The direct quote was "As far as I remember you need her to submit your renewal papers." which if taken literally means "She has to go to immigration and turn in the papers" At least that was my take on it and the reason for my correction.

Let's agree that he still needs her. That's the point. I don't have a spousal visa but what I remember from friends is that they needed either tax papers or a signature from their wife.

Ok, so some updates. I am living separately from my wife, but my registered address is still her address.

Anyway, with these updates in mind...does this improve my chances?

Well, lying to immigration might get you a renewal, but if they find out or say, your in-laws rat you out, you would likely be tossed out and banned for 5-10 years. Hope it's worth it.

I don't really get people that post various schemes for stuff (especially when it comes to immigration) and then hope that others who are generally obeying the rules will cheerfully agree with such schemes.

Wait a minute!

@TokyoJoeblow

You freaked out about a random 2am phone call not long ago.

Thought it might have been the police calling because you yelled at a guy on the street, or some stalker who put salad dressing on a bicycle seat.

You seemed worried and upset about something that turned out to be nothing.

Yet, here you are saying that you are lying to immigration and that your mother-in-law who hates you, knows about this.

Now this is definitely something you need to be paranoid about!

I suggest that you immediately start running around in circles and do at least 11 hours of handwringing per day.

For the record, my post wasn't just about TJB, although he appears to enjoy creating and then repeating whatever drama is going on in his life.

I can't tell you the number of people on various online boards that have asked about the likelihood of making it back through on a visa run to Korea, etc, etc.

Look, if you are going to do something that's not on the level, just understand the potential consequences and either do it or don't. Unless it's your actual immigration worker, nobody knows the likelihood of success.

Look, if you are going to do something that's not on the level, just understand the potential consequences and either do it or don't.

This a thousand times.

It's comical how many people come for public internet forums to ask guidance to do something illegal and when they get caught they'll be crying how the police/immigration/whatnot is racist.

Reactions: meiji
This a thousand times.

It's comical how many people come for public internet forums to ask guidance to do something illegal and when they get caught they'll be crying how the police/immigration/whatnot is racist.

Well, it's that, but it's also that many people don't fundamentally understand Japan. Lots of people want to know how they can rules-lawyer their way through immigration. They don't get that there's immigration LAW, but there's also the unwritten rules behind the law. They give considerable latitude to the front line people on cases, and it's not just about checking required boxes, but also about who you are and who you know.

Japanese immigration more or less has two jobs: keep elements out of Japanese society that might destabilize it or are otherwise 'undesirable', and make sure that immigrants working in Japan are doing so legally (ie, paying taxes and into the retirement system). In both cases, immigration will likely be more lenient on those that bring a lot of money into the national coffers, or those that work for companies that do.

If TJB got busted by immigration would he have a better shot at not getting deported if he, say, worked for Deutsche Bank or Google? Probably. But in those cases, he'd likely have far more access to an immigration attorney and/or easily be able to get sponsorship from his employer.

And as always, he (or anyone else) is far more likely to get an accurate answer on his chances and/or what else he should do by hiring an actual immigration attorney instead of asking random people on the internet.

Well, I have only been living separate from my wife for like 2 months, but I realize I can be rejected even if it has been less than 6 months.

My wife's mother isnt going to go out of her way to call up immigration to rat me out, but if immigration decides to call out of the blue...

I would assume they wouldn't call unless they have reasons to be suspicious?

Or do they sometimes make random check up calls on all foreigners?

Has anyone on here received a call from immigration and had to answer questions?

Well, I have only been living separate from my wife for like 2 months, but I realize I can be rejected even if it has been less than 6 months.

Yes, probably. Six months is the limit they can actually cancel your existing visa but I would guess even less than that will be suspicious when renewing your visa.

You know that you should have registered your new address within two weeks when you moved away, right? So it doesn't have to be your mother-in-law that gets you busted, any neighbour, landlord, anyone from your workplace who notices you don't live where you say you live might accidentally or on purpose leak the information.

Reactions: meiji
Yes, probably. Six months is the limit they can actually cancel your existing visa but I would guess even less than that will be suspicious when renewing your visa.

You know that you should have registered your new address within two weeks when you moved away, right? So it doesn't have to be your mother-in-law that gets you busted, any neighbour, landlord, anyone from your workplace who notices you don't live where you say you live might accidentally or on purpose leak the information.

Yes, I have made sure not to mention anything to my friends, coworkers and my friend's landlord doesn't even live anywhere near this place.

My Japanese friend has been living here for like 6 years and said the landlord never really goes snooping around the apartments in search of possible people staying under the table.

Nevertheless, I will keep my life low key until after the new visa comes through or not.

If immigration decides to investigate, and find that you're living separately, your visa renewal will be denied. Even after the renewal, if they decide to investigate for some reason, and determine that you've been living separately for more than six months, they can terminate your visa.

My wife's mother isnt going to go out of her way to call up immigration to rat me out, but if immigration decides to call out of the blue...

I would assume they wouldn't call unless they have reasons to be suspicious?

Or do they sometimes make random check up calls on all foreigners?

Has anyone on here received a call from immigration and had to answer questions?

They do make calls as part of routine investigation into visa applications and renewals.

It can be as simple as calling up, and if the wife answers, asking to speak to the husband or vice versa.

If they don't like the results from phone checks, they may head to the neighbourhood, and ask around, talk to the neighbours etc.

If immigration decides to investigate, and find that you're living separately, your visa renewal will be denied. Even after the renewal, if they decide to investigate for some reason, and determine that you've been living separately for more than six months, they can terminate your visa.

They do make calls as part of routine investigation into visa applications and renewals.

It can be as simple as calling up, and if the wife answers, asking to speak to the husband or vice versa.

If they don't like the results from phone checks, they may head to the neighbourhood, and ask around, talk to the neighbours etc.

I realize you have probably lived here in Japan many years and just know about all this, but could you please provide sources for this from online?

I only ask because I can not find any information online about marriage verification checks specifically.

I realize you have probably lived here in Japan many years and just know about all this, but could you please provide sources for this from online?

I only ask because I can not find any information online about marriage verification checks specifically.

Immigration doesn't give details on how they catch people guy.

Desktop's got it right - immigration doesn't put a guide about how they perform investigations online. All that's going to do is help people evade them.

I know how they do this from discussions with employees and clients who have been on the receiving end of phone calls and visits, and as a manager, have also been contacted by immigration myself to verify marital status of my subordinates who were applying for spouse visas, and I have seen these applications denied when the employee in question was separated from his/her spouse.

The information about revocation is available on immigrations own website.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/qa.html

Immigration doesn't give details on how they catch people guy.

...I realize that. I was asking if anyone knows of websites (not the immigration website) where people that are not immigration agents are sharing what they have learned with regard to how immigration investigates people. Obviously, immigration isn't going to just come out and sell their secrets to the public, but there are definitely people that know some of these secrets.

Desktop's got it right - immigration doesn't put a guide about how they perform investigations online. All that's going to do is help people evade them.

I know how they do this from discussions with employees and clients who have been on the receiving end of phone calls and visits, and as a manager, have also been contacted by immigration myself to verify marital status of my subordinates who were applying for spouse visas, and I have seen these applications denied when the employee in question was separated from his/her spouse.

The information about revocation is available on immigrations own website.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/qa.html

Although immigration of course leaves out a lot of answers to more specific/complicated questions, I did find some good answers to some more general questions I had from this link. Thanks for that.

Although immigration of course leaves out a lot of answers to more specific/complicated questions, I did find some good answers to some more general questions I had from this link. Thanks for that.

One thing that I haven't read before, or maybe more likely have forgotten already, is that they can revoke your visa if you move and fail to make the notification about it.

What about moving back in with your wife?

I'm sure you are capable of charming the mother-in-law. Apologize to her, even if you feel like it isn't warranted, and then kiss her ass everyday. Make her love you.

If you want to stay married, you'll have to be part of the family and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Besides, the chances are that immigration will find out. They might be closing in already. One way you can tell is if you notice men in black overcoats on the train who aren't paying any attention to you. That is a hallmark of immigration agents following you.

If you notice while sedans in your neighborhood, then they certainly have you under surveillance.

Seriously, either be married or don't be married. Living in some odd state of limbo is bound to catch up with you in more ways than one.

From your many stories of being a horn dog, it doesn't sound like you are ready to be a husband.

Maybe what you need to figure out is if you really want to be married.