Guest viewing is limited

Dating Apps: A Guide

Okay, so a little update on my adventure on Pairs, I think I'm either going insane or there's something wrong with my openings and if there is I'm hoping someone in here can actually give me a lil' hand 'cause it's ridiculous, I have gotten matched with about 12 girls on Pairs and none of them ever messages me back.

Okay, so a little update on my adventure on Pairs, I think I'm either going insane or there's something wrong with my openings and if there is I'm hoping someone in here can actually give me a lil' hand 'cause it's ridiculous, I have gotten matched with about 12 girls on Pairs and none of them ever messages me back.
Women have hundreds of matches and messages going at one time... if you don't standout above the rest, you'll never get a message back.

Women have hundreds of matches and messages going at one time... if you don't standout above the rest, you'll never get a message back.
Totally get that but then why match with me then? Is it just because it's free for them and they have nothing to lose? Edit: I'm not sure how am I supposed to standout from the rest either, that's the one million question I'm sure.

Totally get that but then why match with me then? Is it just because it's free for them and they have nothing to lose? Edit: I'm not sure how am I supposed to standout from the rest either, that's the one million question I'm sure.
Because they do the same as men, nearly swipe on whatever just to have an open pool and see who has the looks+attitude to get their attention.

having annual income 10 million yen or above for starter.

Reactions: porterhouse
Interesting thread and have enjoyed the comments. My 2 cents on dating apps.

I'm a 45 year old, fluent Japanese speaking Caucasian with a good job. Over the past 4.5 years I've had three long term relationships with 23-25 year old Japanese girls, all lasted a year or longer and all girls were 7s, one probably an 8-9 on a good day.

All three I met in real life in various settings.

In between these relationships, after break up, I used the apps to try and meet new people. Inevitably as a mid 40s, there's almost zero chance to connect with mid 20s since regardless of my looks, the age number stands out and girls will simply, and sensibly, choose younger guys.

When I did meet girls in my selected age range, they were never as good looking as their photos and many times down right catfishing IMHO, using filters to slim down etc. I only had one exception to this when I met a model-level Japanese girl off Bumble and we had a two month fling before she went back to her ex.

Interestingly enough, out of the three girls above that I was in long-term relationships, the most beautiful of them (we were together for two years) told me she never used dating apps - probably because she was always getting hit upon in real life so it was unnecessary for her.

Just my two cents.

I feel like dating apps in Japan fall prey to the same flaws they have anywhere else, and that it's just much better to fight off nerves and try nampa/IRL encounters (yes, telling myself off for being shy IRL LOL).

I had a good amount of luck with dating apps 5-6 years ago, but especially since a few years ago it's impossible. Especially if you're not in your 20s anymore. It doesn't event matter how good you look -- listing a high salary will help but that age number sure has a lot of sway in Japan. Even in bars and clubs, it feels like it might be beneficial to lie.

Reactions: Alice
Interesting thread and have enjoyed the comments. My 2 cents on dating apps.

I'm a 45 year old, fluent Japanese speaking Caucasian with a good job. Over the past 4.5 years I've had three long term relationships with 23-25 year old Japanese girls, all lasted a year or longer and all girls were 7s, one probably an 8-9 on a good day.

All three I met in real life in various settings.

In between these relationships, after break up, I used the apps to try and meet new people. Inevitably as a mid 40s, there's almost zero chance to connect with mid 20s since regardless of my looks, the age number stands out and girls will simply, and sensibly, choose younger guys.

When I did meet girls in my selected age range, they were never as good looking as their photos and many times down right catfishing IMHO, using filters to slim down etc. I only had one exception to this when I met a model-level Japanese girl off Bumble and we had a two month fling before she went back to her ex.

Interestingly enough, out of the three girls above that I was in long-term relationships, the most beautiful of them (we were together for two years) told me she never used dating apps - probably because she was always getting hit upon in real life so it was unnecessary for her.

Just my two cents.
That was very interesting to read, I'm 30 and I noticed that the older you get the harder it gets too, maybe if I was a few years younger I'd be able to pass for a student no worries but since I'm 30 they probably all expect me to be some kind of multi millionaire. Honestly, I think I'll just stick to meeting girls somewhere else, I've been going to international meetings and there are a lot of Japanese women who want to find foreigners that way, a lot only look for white Americans/Canadians/Australians (which I'm not) but I'm pretty sure that's just a few I've met, I've definitely met some interesting people so far, like a girl who told me honestly that my fashion sucks and I won't stand out if I keep up like this but then she offered to go shopping with me. While I enjoy how I look, it's an unassuming look, I appreciate honesty like that.

I've been going to international meetings and there are a lot of Japanese women who want to find foreigners

I don't go to international meetups. I've (maybe unfairly) always had a negative image of them. What's the mix of people like?
Where I've met people is the old fashioned way. Approached one ex and asked if she'd go out for a coffee (admittedly she happened to frequent a location I used to visit regularly so we had seen each other around for a while); met one through a friend; met one girl because her and her friend happened to be eating at a restaurant next to me and a buddy and we got talking to them. That type of thing.

I don't go to international meetups. I've (maybe unfairly) always had a negative image of them. What's the mix of people like?
Where I've met people is the old fashioned way. Approached one ex and asked if she'd go out for a coffee (admittedly she happened to frequent a location I used to visit regularly so we had seen each other around for a while); met one through a friend; met one girl because her and her friend happened to be eating at a restaurant next to me and a buddy and we got talking to them. That type of thing.
Most times it's a sausage fest filled with foreigner men and Japanese men, other times it's mostly just foreigners and on rare occasions it's like 20% foreigners and 80% Japanese, tons of women too. My Japanese is still too early to start trying to talk girls randomly but I might try that down the line, eventually, granted I have made a few Japanese guy friends who I might end up meeting their friends and so on. It's obvious that dating apps will never yield anything for me so I gotta' stick to the old fashioned way, it's not easy, it really isn't, especially getting them to keep talking to you on LINE and not ghost you.

Most times it's a sausage fest filled with foreigner men and Japanese men, other times it's mostly just foreigners and on rare occasions it's like 20% foreigners and 80% Japanese, tons of women too. My Japanese is still too early to start trying to talk girls randomly but I might try that down the line, eventually, granted I have made a few Japanese guy friends who I might end up meeting their friends and so on. It's obvious that dating apps will never yield anything for me so I gotta' stick to the old fashioned way, it's not easy, it really isn't, especially getting them to keep talking to you on LINE and not ghost you.
The wide world of street nanpa is a great thing to experience. Not to mention a good way to accelerate learning Japanese. Also keep in mind you don't necessarily need Japanese to do street pickup, although it obviously helps.

Reactions: Barabbas
The wide world of street nanpa is a great thing to experience. Not to mention a good way to accelerate learning Japanese. Also keep in mind you don't necessarily need Japanese to do street pickup, although it obviously helps.
I haven't actually tried to just hit on girls on the street, only on social spots. I've seen a bunch of dudes try to pick girls randomly and it's just embarrassing haha. Think I'm going to keep shooting my shot at these international meetings until I find something more efficient, at least in these meetings the gaijin hunters aren't just looking for hookups.

I haven't actually tried to just hit on girls on the street, only on social spots. I've seen a bunch of dudes try to pick girls randomly and it's just embarrassing haha. Think I'm going to keep shooting my shot at these international meetings until I find something more efficient, at least in these meetings the gaijin hunters aren't just looking for hookups.
I've hit on girls coming out of clubs before and that's been fine for getting contact info, but my experience hasn't been positive with talking to girls on the streets in traditional "nanpa" places, i.e. hachiko or shinjuku east exit, etc. I see a lot of dudes out there doing it, but I can't for the life of me understand why given how nearly every girl will completely ignore them.

Now on the other hand -- at night on a weeknight in a mostly empty bar feels like child's play. Or coming out of a concert when everyone's in a good mood and you see a girl that's your type, especially if she's not with friends. Age range here absolutely does not matter unless the gap is huge and visibly noticeable, whereas on an app you are just not going to be able to get attention like this. I feel like there are probably better "street" areas than the ones everyone uses to meet up with friends, but I'm not sure what would be ideal enough to consider trying if you're not already comfortable with approaching girls you like.

Reactions: Alice and Husniye
....but my experience hasn't been positive with talking to girls on the streets in traditional "nanpa" places, i.e. hachiko or shinjuku east exit, etc. I see a lot of dudes out there doing it, but I can't for the life of me understand why given how nearly every girl will completely ignore them.

Because not a single guy at Shinjuku East Exit who tries to talk girls is looking for a date....99% is "business" related

I've hit on girls coming out of clubs before and that's been fine for getting contact info, but my experience hasn't been positive with talking to girls on the streets in traditional "nanpa" places, i.e. hachiko or shinjuku east exit, etc. I see a lot of dudes out there doing it, but I can't for the life of me understand why given how nearly every girl will completely ignore them.

Now on the other hand -- at night on a weeknight in a mostly empty bar feels like child's play. Or coming out of a concert when everyone's in a good mood and you see a girl that's your type, especially if she's not with friends. Age range here absolutely does not matter unless the gap is huge and visibly noticeable, whereas on an app you are just not going to be able to get attention like this. I feel like there are probably better "street" areas than the ones everyone uses to meet up with friends, but I'm not sure what would be ideal enough to consider trying if you're not already comfortable with approaching girls you like.
Okay so, I've mostly got the basics of "general" picking up but here's the deal, I'm mostly into nerdy girls (glasses, timid, not really popular) and I feel like I won't find those at either clubs, bars or concerts like you mentioned. There was a guy who told me to just frequent libraries and while studying Japanese (which makes sense since I'm a Japanese language student) I could try to sit down next to a girl I fancy. Now... I have no idea if that's a good idea or not which is why I'm asking here. See plenty of nerdy dudes in Akihabara with their equally nerdy girlfriends so it has to be possible, right?

Just talk to them in English. Some of the best womanizers I have known in this town don't speak a word of Japanese.
Thank you. :)

Just talk to them in English. Some of the best womanizers I have known in this town don't speak a word of Japanese.
Good point, except I'm not good looking enough for the English option to be viable.

Good point, except I'm not good looking enough for the English option to be viable.
The English option as you put it means free English practice to a lot of women. It can work in your favour.

Reactions: Alice