Everything 90's

This scene from the Titanic inspired me to draw more...

That’s an excellent motivation, indeed. Jack did a fine job in the film.
I sure hope that someday you can share some drawings, if any, of the lovely ladies in Tokyo you’ve met.

Reactions: rob040188
That’s an excellent motivation, indeed. Jack did a fine job in the film.
I sure hope that someday you can share some drawings, if any, of the lovely ladies in Tokyo you’ve met.

@Majestyk , I haven't drawn by hand for a long time :(...I mainly draw engineering drawings using CAD nowadays (below is the equipment layout of one of the plants I have designed)
PW01009-4000-2-Layout1.jpg

Sorry, I skimped on the resolution [And I shouldn't upload a *.dwg file] and I have removed the title block and zone idents (to protect my privacy. also i could be sued by my client for sharing confidential info).

if any, of the lovely ladies in Tokyo you’ve met.

I used to draw comic book characters (such as Logan or Batman). And I have only drawn a real person (the one that got away), once. Ok, twice, the same person. A few years apart.

I haven't done any hand drawn drawings since then...(heavy sigh)...ok, I recently did a (hand drawn) rough sketch of a park here in tokyo. With a view of a red gate (I think the japanese word is mon, not sure), japanese bridge, and a cherry tree in full bloom [hint: you have seen this picture, what I sketched was at a different angle, minus the people].

But I trashed that rough sketch. I don't want to be considered by the person I was giving it to, to be clingy.

Wetworks#3pg16-17.jpg

Sorry, if I got too preachy...
Above is a page from wetworks ("wetboy" is russian slang for assasin), pencils by Whilce Portacio (was the penciler of Uncanny X-Men, and one of my idols).

The only instance I have seen arnis (filipino stick fighting) and filipino ("Hesus Maryo Sep"-- an expletive--Jesus Mary and Joseph) being uttered in an american comic book

The 90s also turned out a stellar collection of romantic comedies, a genre that has a thread in TAG initiated by @rob040188.
One of those rom-coms that became a huge hit worldwide was Notting Hill (1999).
Here’s my favorite scene in that film, in which an expensive painting with a violin-playing goat is involved:

Maybe my favorite 90’s movie is “Don’t tell mom the babysitter is dead”
Funniest shit ever.
I have been trying to find a working dvd in Japan, but all i found is video tapes (dont have a video recorder at the moment) or dvds that don’t work in Japan.

The 90s also turned out a stellar collection of romantic comedies, a genre that has a thread in TAG initiated by @rob040188.
One of those rom-coms that became a huge hit worldwide was Notting Hill (1999).

Yeah, I could really identify with Hugh Grant's (pity, I'm not that good looking though) character. And the Bernie character (above clip is my favorite scene), wherein Bernie is totally clueless.

Yes!

Ralph Macchio still looks like the karate kid in this clip btw.
I only watched this on VHS once. I forgot that ralph macchio was in it.

I remember Marissa Tomei and Christian Slater's film (ok, only one scene), Untamed Heart. Marissa was hot in that film

How can I forget Goodfellas (1990)?
Outside of The Godfather trilogy, this Martin Scorsese film helped define how the Cosa Nostra gets depicted in cinema, television and novels. There could be no Sopranos without Goodfellas.
Here is a description by Henry Hill, the film’s main protagonist, about their life:
“You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, ‘You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us’. You understand? We were goodfellas. Wiseguys ... To become a member of a crew you've got to be one hundred per cent Italian, so they can trace all your relatives back to the old country. See, it's the highest honor they can give you. It means you belong to a family and crew. It means that nobody can fuck around with you. It also means you could fuck around with anybody just as long as they aren't also a member. It's like a license to steal. It's a license to do anything.“
Check out the film’s trailer:

The 90s was also the decade when I first took notice of Japanese pop. An Okinawa-born singer opened my eyes and ears to this industry — Namie Amuro.
Here she was in the mid-90s.
3372D9A6-ED72-4184-BA27-25F782A25D57.jpeg

And here she was sporting a slick, fashionista look a couple of years ago.
0E3DEDA4-E07E-4717-9578-1F44ABA13012.jpeg

I guess the 90's were a different experience for me. Mostly due to my extreme personal experiences.

The decade kicked off with the (first) Gulf War. I also started to realize that the wheels had come off my marriage and I had to get out to preserve what was left of my sanity.

After that I had a great time as a single guy. Went back to the US for grad school then right back to Japan. I was living in the area around where Ebisu Garden Place is when it first opened up.

The economic bubble had just burst as the decade got started which made job-hunting a bit more challenging than before - unless you were in finance, which I wasn't.

Tokyo Classified (now Metropolis) was still in dead-tree format only. Pocket Bell (pager) was the most affordable way to be reached 24/7. Personal e-mail addresses (still expensive) were just becoming a thing as the decade was closing. Even a regular telephone cost 80,000 Yen for the phone number.

ATM's started showing up at the beginning of the decade and by the end many were finally open more than 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM - on weekdays only.

Japan still was fun but not nearly as convenient as it is now.

Pocket Bell (pager) was the most affordable way to be reached 24/7. Personal e-mail addresses (still expensive) were just becoming a thing as the decade was closing.

I could never afford a pokebell, but I did have a phone line. I might have bought that used though, but I think it was well kept and probably the old lady had called with it only on Sundays to her church as it still worked pretty well.

I did have an email since 80's though, and I remember the excitement when you could actually send emails outside the building and then soon later out of the country. Still quite late in the 90's nobody had passwords in their computers so anyone connected to the net could log into your account and see all your stuff. In the early 90's I already had a home build computer connected with a global IP to the information highway; actually directly to the biggest pipe going from Tokyo to USA. Quite much better than 300 baud analog modem.

I could never afford a pokebell, but I did have a phone line. I might have bought that used though,
Yeah, there was a market for used phone numbers. I eventually bought one that way but before that I preferred to not have a phone so #5 wouldn't interrupt me when I was with #3. Much easier to explain it away with the pager.

I had always worked at companies where I had an e-mail address so I could use that - at least until the IT section had enough time to look at where all my mail was coming from (sometime after I could afford my own address anyway). Even with the automation of the time having HQ on the other side of the world left things pretty loose. It was even better if I was working at a smaller, local company and hanging out with the IT director - it never became an issue.

Renaissance Man; Although this film wasn't so good, I heard the St. Crispin's Day Speech, first on this film

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile

And Much Ado About Nothing; snappy repartee between Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson

Man, those are pretty heavy songs for my Monday morning consumption.
I’m familiar with those tunes because an office lady I dated briefly in the 90s played these on her Walkman.
She broke my heart, so I’ve never listened to these songs again until you posted those two videos.

Reactions: rob040188
I’m familiar with those tunes because an office lady I dated briefly in the 90s played these on her Walkman.
She broke my heart, so I’ve never listened to these songs again until you posted those two videos.
She must have been the rather sad type!

Reactions: Majestyk
She must have been the rather sad type!

Indeed, she was.
But she also had those large sad eyes, small cute nose, luscious lips, smooth skin, Audrey Hepburn neck and figure, analytical mind (she worked in finance), humility and dry sense of humor that made me fall hard for her.
I pray she’s doing well.
Haven’t found any one like her.

Reactions: MikeH
@Majestyk , i have the monday morning blues, i guess...i was supposed to meet someone today...

I know you are also a big fan of Lea Salonga...

I Still Believe; My favorite song in Miss Saigon

I watched her perform live in Manila

On My Own; My favorite song in Les Miz

and the Goo Goo Dolls can basically sing how I feel today

And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
When sooner or later it's over
I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand...

Last edited: