Guest viewing is limited

I Hate Night Clubs !

john.smith

TAG Member
Reaction score
In my country, I never liked night club because of the feeling to get treated as a milk cow. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try recently in Japan, in Roppongi.

On the website they were saying the ALL YOU CAN DRINK was 1000 yen, and a drink 500 yen with a coupon to get on the website. Well, truth to be told, I knew it was very fishy. Nevertheless I gave it a try with a positive mind.

I go there : "You need to pay 3000 Yen". Ok... I was expecting it but this kind of thing always put me in a bad mood.
Then I enter : All tables were "reserved".
I go to the bar : "Sorry all you can drink only from 22pm". (was 21pm)

So I start speaking with some girls who were at a reserved table. (not by them)
10 min later, a guy from the night club come : He tells only to me (not the girls), "this is reserved" you need to find another place. So I salute the girls, go to talk to some people for some time, then come back 15min, the girls were still at the table, not kicked out by the guy from the night club.
So I figure out that MAYBE I did not understood his japanese well, and I was just on the way. So I sit down again with the girls, making sure I was not on the middle of the path.
5min later, the night club guy come again, this time kicking me, but also the girls.

The fun thing was that the table just beside was also used by people who did not reserved it.
Well... I go to the bar at 22pm, and yes it is crowded, so you can't consume too much with all you can drink.
All alcoohol was shitty. (gin at best, other only soft)

When my turn to order comes, I can see the free drink menu COOL... well, it would have been cool if I was not yelled by the staff who wanted me to move on before I could read.

I left at 22pm30, prefered having a walk in tokyo rather than being a milk cow.

So all I want to say is FUCK NIGHT CLUB ! well I feel better, thanks for listening to me.

Nothing make me more mad than money badly spent.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Can you please at least tell us which club you went to?

And your experience isn't unique of course... you just have to remember the people working there aren't exactly top-shelf kind of people. They go overboard with their attitudes as you just experienced.

Reactions: John Chavers
Try going to a regular club & things might be different.
If money is an issue drink something that you have to drink slow.

It was maharaja roppongi.

Try going to a regular club & things might be different.
If money is an issue drink something that you have to drink slow.

It is not money which is an issue, my issue is when you are tricked to come with a ridiculous price then they fuck when take the wallet in your hand, fuck you again once you are inside.
My issue is more about the poor treatment than money.
Any regular club to advise ? I never been even once in my life in a club which did not treated me as milk cow. Even in a Mc Donald I feel a more valuable customer.

Reactions: Solong
I didn't see all you can drink on their website, but if you arrive before 8pm the entrance fee should only be 1000yen. You went to a special event?

I'm well beyond my clubbing days, and even back then I much preferred watching live musicians (you know, actually play instruments and sing!). If money is no problem, lots of the hot young women I work with often mention going to this place (pronounced "elle-le"): http://eletokyo.com/

ageHa is probably the most popular of the large dance clubs: http://www.ageha.com/

And of course, Womb has been ranked in the past as one of the top clubs in the world: http://www.womb.co.jp/

Thanks, I'll give a try to eletokyo. Frankly 4000 with two drink is not so expensive.
Is it more "quiet" than dance clubs ?
I prefer having a good drink with a good conversation and with a chill musician in the background than dancing.

Talking about clubs - there is an event called Department H in Ueno this Saturday, it's like a leather fetish event, gimps, whips etc. Its an eye opener but good fun and bring your own alcohol so not too expensive and friendly crowd. Should be on Google

Reactions: Solong
I've never really enjoyed being in a night club. I feel it's a delusion. For one if you're not a drinker there is no point going to one and I've seen too many people go out of a night club with the only thing they are going to take home is a hangover.

Here it is. [Link]

It says ¥1000 yen *off* which is a discount of ¥1000 yen.
I see from their website that the price for men on Fridays and Saturdays is ¥4000 - so that ¥3000 was accurate.

The attitudes sucked obviously.
I wonder if the tables are part of the VIP plans, which is why there are reserved signs on them.
They obviously enforced that pretty unevenly - though that could have been as much a gender thing as a race discrimination thing. Yes, women get away with more and are given more benefits - because they want to attract more women to the club.

The busyness of the bar may have also been due to Halloween too - so on ordinary days it might be better.
I guess it's better just to order a common drink that should be on the menu rather than trying to read the menu under the time pressure.

It says ¥1000 yen *off* which is a discount of ¥1000 yen.
I see from their website that the price for men on Fridays and Saturdays is ¥4000 - so that ¥3000 was accurate.

The attitudes sucked obviously.
I wonder if the tables are part of the VIP plans, which is why there are reserved signs on them.
They obviously enforced that pretty unevenly - though that could have been as much a gender thing as a race discrimination thing. Yes, women get away with more and are given more benefits - because they want to attract more women to the club.

The busyness of the bar may have also been due to Halloween too - so on ordinary days it might be better.
I guess it's better just to order a common drink that should be on the menu rather than trying to read the menu under the time pressure.

So can you tell me why this link says 入場料: 2000円
I thought it was 1000 off on a 2000 entry, so it would cost me 2000-1000=1000 for all you can drink. (truth to be told I knew it could not be possible, so I was expecting 2000)

So can you tell me why this link says 入場料: 2000円
I thought it was 1000 off on a 2000 entry, so it would cost me 2000-1000=1000 for all you can drink. (truth to be told I knew it could not be possible, so I was expecting 2000)

From the way it is written it's the entry fee *after* the ¥1000 yen discount and that's given if you reserve (which I imagine you did) and then the ¥1000 nomihoudai is on top of that.

I'm not an apologist for the place, but I think you did misunderstand - which is understandable because they complicated things.

I been in Japan long enough to remember the original Maharajah in Tokyo Bay. The club scene is nothing like what it used to be

Those VIP tables used to be more common. When the club is empty you might get away with sitting there. The gig is that you have to spend a minimum amount on drinks.

Clubs rarely get busy before 11 or 12. Typically, people party outside Roppongi then head into town and do a club till first train. You might get lucky with a girl but odds are against you. 30 is a good age to be though. Over 40 and you really will struggle. Shibuya clubs better than Roppongi

Drink all you can is a con. Spirits are cheap 500 yen non branded paint thinner quality. If beer is included it's not beer but inferior " happoshu"

If you do Roppongi again try Gaspanic next to Don Quixote up the escalator. Drinks only 300 till 10pm. Personally I'd forget the big clubs if alone

Roppongi ain't what it used to be but still the reputation lingers on. Bit like Pigalle in Paris or Reeperbahn in Hamburg.

From the way it is written it's the entry fee *after* the ¥1000 yen discount and that's given if you reserve (which I imagine you did) and then the ¥1000 nomihoudai is on top of that.

I'm not an apologist for the place, but I think you did misunderstand - which is understandable because they complicated things.
I did misunderstood yes. But can't help thinking they intentionally complicate it. Saying Reserved Seat + Nomihoudai = 3000Yen would have been crystal clear.

Anyway, I think I'll restrain going into night club I always been disappointed and not only in this country. The other thing that bother me is that it is already a big problem for me to speak japanese and/or understand their terrible english, but when the loud sound is on then you can't even discuss.
Gaspanic and Don Quixote are bars ? more quiet ?

@AKB69 Gaspanic! Wow, you're (we're) really showing your (our) age here! When I first came to Japan almost 10 years ago, one of the first two things I was told about Roppongi was 1) Gaspanic is THE place for gaijin to go, 2) NEVER under any circumstances should I allow myself to be caught dead in Gaspanic. LOL

Though, I have never actually been there because I'm just not into the bar scene in general.

@john.smith He means the popular discount shop, Donkihote/Don Quijote. He just spelled it the proper (non-Japanese) way.

I've noticed for the prices they charge for drinks here, you should get at least 2nd rate liquors. But it's always the cheap stuff. Even at better dining restaurants I don't find the higher quality liquors. I want good tequila and if I gotta have it I gotta order it to home.

Jumanji and Green Land, though a bit shit, are both legitimate, 1000-yen all you can drink clubs, and though the drinks are watered down you CAN get drunk if you stick to the black Russians or make friends with the staff. Those clubs also have a wide range from trashy to some actually hot chicks every once in a while, and are also known for being among the "younger"clubs.

On a weekday, you might check out V2. It's too packed on weekends for my tastes, though. For that purpose Feria is better.

Reactions: meiji
In my country, I never liked night club because of the feeling to get treated as a milk cow. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try recently in Japan, in Roppongi.

On the website they were saying the ALL YOU CAN DRINK was 1000 yen, and a drink 500 yen with a coupon to get on the website. Well, truth to be told, I knew it was very fishy. Nevertheless I gave it a try with a positive mind.

I go there : "You need to pay 3000 Yen". Ok... I was expecting it but this kind of thing always put me in a bad mood.
Then I enter : All tables were "reserved".
I go to the bar : "Sorry all you can drink only from 22pm". (was 21pm)

So I start speaking with some girls who were at a reserved table. (not by them)
10 min later, a guy from the night club come : He tells only to me (not the girls), "this is reserved" you need to find another place. So I salute the girls, go to talk to some people for some time, then come back 15min, the girls were still at the table, not kicked out by the guy from the night club.
So I figure out that MAYBE I did not understood his japanese well, and I was just on the way. So I sit down again with the girls, making sure I was not on the middle of the path.
5min later, the night club guy come again, this time kicking me, but also the girls.

The fun thing was that the table just beside was also used by people who did not reserved it.
Well... I go to the bar at 22pm, and yes it is crowded, so you can't consume too much with all you can drink.
All alcoohol was shitty. (gin at best, other only soft)

When my turn to order comes, I can see the free drink menu COOL... well, it would have been cool if I was not yelled by the staff who wanted me to move on before I could read.

I left at 22pm30, prefered having a walk in tokyo rather than being a milk cow.

So all I want to say is FUCK NIGHT CLUB ! well I feel better, thanks for listening to me.

Nothing make me more mad than money badly spent.
Not a fan of most night clubs in Japan. Was lucky to have visited Japan when much younger. Comparing the party and club atmosphere of the early 2000s to 2015 is like night and day.

The Tokyo club scene is mostly dead. Now more about ripping guys off and hopefully you get so dumb drunk that you pass out on the street and forget about sex or hookups.

Adult Japanese women acting like scared teenagers who never saw a penis or had sex before, in weird female only groups that act as if the club is a lesbian chat room. Not to mention women secretly working for the club, trying to scam men into buying her drinks.

Instead of sex and the cirty, Japan night scene appears at times more about people puking their guts up on the sidewalk or sleeping on the concrete. Came to hookup with women and get laid, instead he got drunk and fell asleep. Pathetic.

uploadfromtaptalk1449487040871.jpg

(Ridiculous drunk)

Last edited:
Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
What is a good substitute for night clubs ? Some bar lounges to propose to advise ? Not necessarily to hunt women, but at least to enjoy a nice night with nice friends with a nice conversation around a nice drink ?

Was lucky to have visited Japan when much younger. Comparing the party and club atmosphere of the early 2000s to 2015 is like night and day.

If you liked 2000, you should have seen 1995 and 1990 and 1985 (well, '86; I wasn't in Tokyo in '85)!

I agree that the quality has generally gone down quite a lot over the years and decades, but it is also worth keeping in mind that (as you mention) one was much younger at these earlier times and that the fact changes the club experience (among many others) and one's perceptions of it quite a bit too.

-Ww

Reactions: Midlife Crisis
What about live concerts ?
There are a bunch of fine places, there's alcohol served and people don't necessarily come only for the band or the music.

Last edited:
Why do all the clubs in Japan have such retarded names? haha