Guest viewing is limited

Japan Opening Up? From April 8, 2022 | Now October 11, 2022 - Normal Tourism.

No No No GIF

Reactions: CharlieSimms
Shit now I wasted 30k, already getting fucked.

Same, brother. Literally the day after I got my ERFS and splashed some cash on new passport photos etc for my visa application, the rumours about October began!

Still, the relief of finally going back and not having to send my passport to the embassy in London makes up for it. I am annoyed the UK government immediately then decided to tank the pound though, which will basically take a Hisyo trip out of my budget 😭

Yeah, there's a big difference between "Man, fuck these tourists, this is my Japan! I'm not like you, I am an EXPAT who speaks the language and works here, I am better than you." and "Damn, it was kinda nice to walk around without masses everywhere, hope people aren't being dumb fucks."

Highly doubt anyone will give a fuck about tourists who behave well and respect the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: sewbed
The elitism and gatekeeping is strong in this one,
Now see, the difference is that we actually reside here.

It's not elitism and gatekeeping - it's perfectly normal for residents to despise tourists.

And you know what we despise even more than tourists? Tourists who somehow think they have a right to come here and act like entitled asses.

They're easy to spot, too. They usually throw around terms like "elitist" and "gatekeeping".

I would point out that Sauron himself was both an Elitist and Gatekeeper, especially during the Black Years when he constructed the Black Gate of Mordor.

But then again we have to ask ourselves and reflect-

Was Sauron really all that different from the Shire Hobbit who fenced his garden to keep out the rabbit, and shunned Outsiders in the interest of a peaceful and harmonious life?

Are both not Gatekeepers and Elitists?
Would the Elves, Dwarves, and Humans of that time not have the same view as the Shire rabbit?
Is it not in the eye of the beholder?
Or indeed, in the Eye of Sauron?? 🪬

It's not elitism and gatekeeping - it's perfectly normal for residents to despise tourists.

And you know what we despise even more than tourists? Tourists who somehow think they have a right to come here and act like entitled asses.

They're easy to spot, too. They usually throw around terms like "elitist" and "gatekeeping".
Believe its the same anywhere in the world, residents usually dislike tourists.
We just live with it. Until some jackass comes and be rowdy in our backyard.
you guys live in japan, I live in my own country.
The least i should is to do as the romans do.

Hope by the time I get there I am able to get accepted somewhere and not have things ruined before I even try. I am able to /blend in/ enough, but still want a proper shot at things without using the gaijin card

Reactions: Cinnabums
Yeah, there's a big difference between "Man, fuck these tourists, this is my Japan! I'm not like you, I am an EXPAT who speaks the language and works here, I am better than you." and "Damn, it was kinda nice to walk around without masses everywhere, hope people aren't being dumb fucks."

Highly doubt anyone will give a fuck about tourists who behave well and respect the rules.
It has nothing to do with being "better." It has to do with walking through a busy fuzoku district on a Saturday night and hearing/reading the phrase below over and over and over again:
すみません、何度も本番行為を強制させている事件がありますので、外国籍のお客様がご当店を利用いたしません。ご了承ください。

...you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Also, how the fuck are we gatekeeping? Last I checked, you have access to all the same materials us "elitist" expats seem to have.
The gatekeepers are the Japanese males who stand between you and your target. And they don't give a fuck how well behaved and respectful you are, if they don't see the obvious facial features and hear the moraic syllables they are going to bow and tell you to leave.

It has nothing to do with being "better." It has to do with walking through a busy fuzoku district on a Saturday night and hearing/reading the phrase below over and over and over again:

Also, how the fuck are we gatekeeping? Last I checked, you have access to all the same materials us "elitist" expats seem to have.
The gatekeepers are the Japanese males who stand between you and your target. And they don't give a fuck how well behaved and respectful you are, if they don't see the obvious facial features and hear the moraic syllables they are going to bow and tell you to leave.
I'm pretty sure he agrees with you.

Not sure if it's gatekeeping, but TAG members are often very rude and condescending to new people.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
Sorry about that,

I am trying to be rude all the time but just cannot always find the time.
Reminds me of the Simpsons quote, when someone called Homer half-assed he said "...but I was using my whole ass." You need you use your whole ass Mike.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
Reminds me of the Simpsons quote, when someone called Homer half-assed he said "...but I was using my whole ass." You need you use your whole ass Mike.
never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-thing-do-it-all[1].gif

Reactions: newbie and hrbb
I'm pretty sure he agrees with you.

Not sure if it's gatekeeping, but TAG members are often very rude and condescending to new people.
For every 9 newbies who do proper research on the site and refrain from asking things like "is FS allowed at a soapland", there's always 1 guy who sticks out like a sore thumb for trolling or not listening to what we try to tell them. That person gets the condescending treatment.

Mate, I wasn't disagreeing with you lol

Ain't nobody has to gatekeep anything if a large majority of the incoming tourists don't act like idiots everywhere. Since when did "oh man I hope they don't fck it up for everyone else" become elitism ?

Painting tourists in the same broad brush is your first mistake.......

I never implied it's my right or that I'm entitled to visit Japan. Even so, that's not an excuse to be condescending.

Painting tourists in the same broad brush is your first mistake.......

I never implied it's my right or that I'm entitled to visit Japan. Even so, that's not an excuse to be condescending.
I'm sure not everyone is a dumbass, and I approach personal interaction on a case-by-case basis, but unfortunately the big picture still remains that a large majority of tourists are annoying, full stop. What else do you want me to say, oh they're all sweet caring foreigners who just happen to not know the local etiquette despite their goodwill ?

That's not an excuse to be condescending, that's a valid reason to be annoyed and complain. If you want to be coddled up with fake sweet words and fake smile for your dumb b.s, go talk to a Japanese customer service rep.

Reactions: DJPeeps and Sudsy
There is an old Chinese saying about "a piece of rat feces spoiled the whole pot of soup" and that definitely apply to us foreigners as a whole to the shops and girls. Someone could easily fuck up one shop at a time for everyone, and nothing we can do to stop those idiots unfortunately. Sometime I wonder we are giving out too much information to everyone.

Now I just have to create some rapports with girls I hope to see for my upcoming trip before things explode LOL.

Yeah, same. I am not much different from a tourist myself, considering I use my working holiday visa to just travel around for a year. That being said, I've been here multiple times before and I am starting to realise why expats look down on a lot of tourists. I'd like to say "No offense" here but we all know that's a lie so: fucking hell, Americans are too loud. I don't even see them, I just hear them. Aside that one group a week ago that just stood on the sidewalk, blocking the entire thing, cheering loudly for some reason.

That being said, I have not encountered any foreigners yet who do not wear masks inside buildings or train stations.

I've been sounding the warning bell for months, and I still don't think people truly grasp how fucking horrible it's going to be when American tourists are allowed back in. We got to witness here, first-hand, the consequences of low prices and easier accessibility. What's going to happen in Japan is a perfect storm of three things: Weak yen, pent-up desire for travel and then a pompous sense of entitlement like Japan OWES them a good time because they were shut-out for almost three years.

Granted, most people act like assholes when on vacation but Americans take it to a new level and being loud in an environment where people pride themselves on being moderate and reserved is something they find immensely satisfying. And don't kid yourselves--they are NOT going to abide by masking rules, particularly because they 1) want to stick out, 2) know Japanese won't confront them about it and/or 3) just don't give a shit. You've got about six straight months of misery headed your way, so enjoy the tail end of the pandemic while it's still enjoyable.

Bullshit, you accused us of being elitist gatekeepers for hating on tourists, fully implying that you are entitled to be here and that we are wrong to be potentially annoyed by your presence.

And who needs an excuse to be condescending to tourists? It takes effort not to be.

Bullshit, you accused us of being elitist gatekeepers for hating on tourists, fully implying that you are entitled to be here and that we are wrong to be potentially annoyed by your presence.

And who needs an excuse to be condescending to tourists? It takes effort not to be.
True but in his defense many long term foreigners in Japan are dickheads too :)