Guest viewing is limited

Japan Opening Up? From April 8, 2022 | Now October 11, 2022 - Normal Tourism.

Definitely saw more gaijin in Osaka station this morning and around Nara, but that may have just been ones living in Japan already because I doubt anyone comes into Japan day 1 and fucks off to Nara lol. Although I did see some rather "big" western people who weren't part of tours, visibly confused in the station so there definitely are some here already!

Kinkakuji and some other Kyoto stuff planned for tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

Any snobby, insufferable, arrogant French tourists already?

Reactions: MikeH
Wow, this Reply feature is fancy!! I did not know this was even possible…. Thank you Sir!! 😇
Pablo Escobar GIF by NETFLIX

Kinkakuji and some other Kyoto stuff planned for tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.
Kyoto resident reporting! I've definitely seen more foreigners this week. Just today I felt like I saw twice than normal.

Well, the bus to Kinkakuji was packed and out of a group of like 8 gaijin, 2 wore masks. The rest had none at all or their schnozz out. Definitely more groups of tourists here now. It's starting...

Reactions: requiemmorrow
Fail to see how that's a good thing...
At some point people gotta ditch the mask, it serves no real purpose at this point imo. Everyone masked up, washed hands, and all that jazz while waiting for the majority of population to get vaccinated. Well...now that most of us have been vaccinated, it's just natural to...y'know, try to go back to normal ?

At some point people gotta ditch the mask, it serves no real purpose at this point imo. Everyone masked up, washed hands, and all that jazz while waiting for the majority of population to get vaccinated. Well...now that most of us have been vaccinated, it's just natural to...y'know, try to go back to normal ?
Most people have pretty shitty hygiene, so Im fine with normal = wearing a mask on public transport and having hand sanitizer everywhere.

Reactions: Maxblack
Fail to see how that's a good thing...
It’s a good thing to break away from wearing a mask that’s almost just for performance sake.

Nobody says you can’t wear one, the rest of the world just wants to move on…

Most people have pretty shitty hygiene, so Im fine with normal = wearing a mask on public transport and having hand sanitizer everywhere.
Pretty much this. Masks outside are unnecessary but on public transport I'd still take it over no mask because people are fucking nasty, coughing and sneezing everywhere without covering their mouths.

What are the exact rules for masks?
Since JP has very vague rules regarding their rules...
Mask on indoors/public transports? masks allowed to be off outdoors?

What are the exact rules for masks?
Since JP has very vague rules regarding their rules...
Mask on indoors/public transports? masks allowed to be off outdoors?
There simply is zero legal requirement. You can wear a mask or not.

There are some shops (private businesses) that have their own rules for entry, but there is no government mandate for mask requirements.
Most shops want you to enter with a mask and then they don't care what you do.

You'll see 85% or better of Japanese wearing masks 100% of the time, but that's just the way the masses work here (social pressure). They aren't required to.

There simply is zero legal requirement. You can wear a mask or not.

There are some shops (private businesses) that have their own rules for entry, but there is no government mandate for mask requirements.
Most shops want you to enter with a mask and then they don't care what you do.

You'll see 85% or better of Japanese wearing masks 100% of the time, but that's just the way the masses work here (social pressure). They aren't required to.
So what are the "advise" provided by the government? Since no legal requirements to wear them
Masks on at all times?

My view would diverge from TAG boss on the masks. I perceive anyone who doesn’t wear one in proximity to others - other than when eating or drinking - to be kind of an ass. Typically it’s gonna be foreigners doing this yeah. Broadcasts “couldn’t give a frak about anyone else or where I am tourist”. But yeah I’ve probably been here too long. I like masks now and actually feel more comfortable wearing them tbh.

So what are the "advise" provided by the government? Since no legal requirements to wear them
Masks on at all times?
No. It's pretty much your self-judgement or whatever required at private locations that can set their own rules.
But if you're worried, wear a mask at all times and then there's no question. :)

My view would diverge from TAG boss on the masks. I perceive anyone who doesn’t wear one in proximity to others - other than when eating or drinking - to be kind of an ass. Typically it’s gonna be foreigners doing this yeah. Broadcasts “couldn’t give a frak about anyone else or where I am tourist”. But yeah I’ve probably been here too long. I like masks now and actually feel more comfortable wearing them tbh.
No. It's pretty much your self-judgement or whatever required at private locations that can set their own rules.
But if you're worried, wear a mask at all times and then there's no question. :)
So to essentially "blend in" masks on at all times is the right way to go

For me is more of a, if its crowded outdoors or anywhere indoors I will wear it.
Feels reasonable? i guess?
By the time I'm there, I have a feeling it will be crowded doesn't matter in or out...