Letter from the immigration office?

You what now? I've been here since the '80s and I have never known anyone who was actually called in for an interview over a PR application. Not even friends of friends.
You must not have any Filipina friends. This happens to them all the time. I think it is mostly for spouse visa applications but I would imagine they do it for PR applications too. I have heard of people from the kuyakusho showing up at homes unannounced. I have heard of people being asked to produce wedding pictues and family albums etc. They can be incredibly intrusive. I think it happens in the smaller towns more often. TJB is being treated like a Filipina bargirl suspected of a fake marriage to a Yak.

I've heard of it - and experienced it - for spouse visa applications. We got a surprise visit, half a dozen random phone calls at odd hours, and were asked to come down to immigration. Joys of getting a new spouse visa after a divorce.

I've still never had anyone I know get called in for an interview for a PR application. Just an approval, a rejection, or a request for documents.

And that includes the FIlipinas I've worked with.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've heard of it - and experienced it - for spouse visa applications. We got a surprise visit, half a dozen random phone calls at odd hours, and were asked to come down to immigration. Joys of getting a new spouse visa after a divorce.

I've still never had anyone I know get called in for an interview for a PR application. Just an approval, a rejection, or a request for documents.

And that includes the FIlipinas I've worked with.
I think the main factor for PR is if you have been living in the same place and had a proper steady job for at least 4 years. Having a J wife/husband is important too but I know lots of singles and foreign couples who have been successful. They don’t like shifty English teacher bartenders.

They don’t like shifty English teacher bartenders.

Let's be honest, the only people who really like shifty English teaching bartenders are drunks and English vampires.

Reactions: warubuta
You must not have any Filipina friends. This happens to them all the time. I think it is mostly for spouse visa applications but I would imagine they do it for PR applications too. I have heard of people from the kuyakusho showing up at homes unannounced. I have heard of people being asked to produce wedding pictues and family albums etc. They can be incredibly intrusive. I think it happens in the smaller towns more often. TJB is being treated like a Filipina bargirl suspected of a fake marriage to a Yak.

Well, the immigration office didn't request for me to come in. This was my potential Japanese immigration lawyer's terrible idea. I agree with you that it would come off as suspicious, so I called him up this morning to cancel our meeting at the immigration office.

I told him I have to go into work early today and that I want to go with my wife sometime next week maybe. Then he was trying to get me to set up another date to meet him at the immigration office. I mentioned that I would need to talk with my wife before I knew which days she is available. Then he mentioned to find out and message him on his facebook page. Then he said something really weird...he told me to send him scanned copies of my mother-in-law's tax exemption forms...via facebook...wtf?

I don't understand how any lawyer could see this as an ok thing to do. Doesn't he know that sending scanned copies of someone else's somewhat private information on a social network online isn't safe?

Anyway, it struck me as really odd. I mentioned that I might also consider mailing the forms in after he said that and then I just mentioned I would contact him in the future should I need his help and wished him a good weekend.

I'm considering another lawyer should I need one in the future.

Well, the immigration office didn't request for me to come in. This was my potential Japanese immigration lawyer's terrible idea. I agree with you that it would come off as suspicious, so I called him up this morning to cancel our meeting at the immigration office.

I told him I have to go into work early today and that I want to go with my wife sometime next week maybe. Then he was trying to get me to set up another date to meet him at the immigration office. I mentioned that I would need to talk with my wife before I knew which days she is available. Then he mentioned to find out and message him on his facebook page. Then he said something really weird...he told me to send him scanned copies of my mother-in-law's tax exemption forms...via facebook...wtf?

I don't understand how any lawyer could see this as an ok thing to do. Doesn't he know that sending scanned copies of someone else's somewhat private information on a social network online isn't safe?

Anyway, it struck me as really odd. I mentioned that I might also consider mailing the forms in after he said that and then I just mentioned I would contact him in the future should I need his help and wished him a good weekend.

I'm considering another lawyer should I need one in the future.
Your lawyer is an idiot and will probably cause problems for you. I would mail in the docs. They probably dont wan't to see you. They just want to make a decision based on what info you have provided. On the otherhand going in with our wife and politely asking if there is anything else they need probably wouldnt hurt.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Sounds to me like your lawyer is trying to run up the bill.

Your lawyer is an idiot and will probably cause problems for you. I would mail in the docs. They probably dont wan't to see you. They just want to make a decision based on what info you have provided. On the otherhand going in with our wife and politely asking if there is anything else they need probably wouldnt hurt.

Oh he is definitely a fucking idiot. I'm done talking with him. I'm going to just mail in the forms.

Sounds to me like your lawyer is trying to run up the bill.

Although he most likely just has making money on his mind, I would not be surprised is he was a fake lawyer/scam artist.

Why would any legit lawyer ask a potential client to scan such important forms and send them to him on facebook of all places???

Seriously, that is some shady ass shit lol.

I would not be surprised is he was a fake lawyer/scam artist.

If he bills himself as a lawyer, I'd be surprised if he wasn't one. The penalties for falsely presenting oneself as an attorney are pretty severe.

That doesn't mean he isn't a shitty lawyer and/or a fool.

If he bills himself as a lawyer, I'd be surprised if he wasn't one. The penalties for falsely presenting oneself as an attorney are pretty severe.

What sucks is he knows an awful a lot about my situation. If he wanted, he could totally stroll up to the immigration office and just rat me out. He seems to be a big enough piece of shit to do that lol.

As an attorney, if he was to do that he would be disbarred and lose his ability to practice law.

As an attorney, if he was to do that he would be disbarred and lose his ability to practice law.

Well, maybe he could tell one of his non-lawyer friends to tell immigration, but that would be highly unlikely lol.

Yes, well if I fail to obtain PR in the future, I will consult with a real lawyer.

Very few actual licensed lawyers here, but there are all kinds of people doing legal advisory work of different shapes and sizes.

I don't think proper lawyers hang out with random gaijin mongers unless they are getting more than 50k an hour.

Obtaining a Permanent Residence can be difficult if you are lacking the required tax certificates and in this case they belong to your mother in law. You sound like you’re having a tough time with your family and an unsupportive spouse. You should fix your problems with the little disfunctional family unit and try to keep the mother in good spirits until you get the certificates from her. People don’t enjoy being treated like visa enablers so invest in some time to at least make her tolerate you. City hall will not give the certificates to anyone but her or her legal rep.

Maybe if I were living in Tokyo, this would be the case. As Sudsy mentioned above, the inaka have their own way of doing things. My wife was able to obtain my mother-in-law's tax exemption certificates from City Hall no problem.

She mentioned that the process only took about 5 minutes.

Maybe if I were living in Tokyo, this would be the case. As Sudsy mentioned above, the inaka have their own way of doing things. My wife was able to obtain my mother-in-law's tax exemption certificates from City Hall no problem.

She mentioned that the process only took about 5 minutes.

Then all is well that ends well...

Another update:

So another letter arrived from the immigration office requesting "proof of payment" forms for me and my wifes' national pensions.

I have never heard of any other foreigners with permanent residence needing to provide pension forms to immigration but times are changing.

Am I the first foreigner that has ever been requested to provide national pension information? Lol

Our current pension status is "exempt" and the staff at the national pension office don't think I need to worry too much about this but this was before the immigration office requested this, so I meed to return to the pension office and see what they say this time.

I believe that due to our status being "exempt" meaning I'm currently not making payments on either account, I'm almost positive immigration isn't going to grant me permanent residence lol.

Last edited:
Another update:

So another letter arrived from the immigration office requesting "proof of payment" forms for me and my wifes' national pensions.

I have never heard of any other foreigners with permanent residence needing to provide pension forms to immigration but times are changing.

Am I the first foreigner that has ever been requested to provide national pension information? Lol

Our current pension status is "exempt" and the staff at the national pension office don't think I need to worry too much about this but this was before the immigration office requested this, so I meed to return to the pension office and see what they say this time.

I believe that due to our status being "exempt" meaning I'm currently not making payments on either account, I'm almost positive immigration isn't going to grant me permanent residence lol.

Lucky guy, why are you exempt , if I may ask?

This is the first I've heard of anyone being asked to provide proof of pension payment. To date they've only ever asked for proof of residence tax payment with anyone I've known.

I figured that this was coming, but thought there would be an announcement.

This is the first I've heard of anyone being asked to provide proof of pension payment. To date they've only ever asked for proof of residence tax payment with anyone I've known.

I figured that this was coming, but thought there would be an announcement.

Of course I'm the first right? Of course!

My wife also mentioned that not only did I receive this in the mail, but on the same day we received letters from the pension office stating that we need to make pension payments?

Maybe the pension office was directly contacted by immigration?

More than a little strange that both separate offices sent us letters with regard to the same thing on the same day.

It is also strange because the pension office told us recently that we are "exempt" status so we don't need to pay or worry about it.

I guess things are truly changing lol.

The pension office probably needs me to reapply for exemption status, which I want to do but I will need to pay a couple lump sum payments as well since immigration's recent request.

Another update:

If you are not paying into the pension system, by definition you are not making money. If you are not making money, then someone else, probably a Japanese person, is supporting you. You fail.

If you are not paying into the pension system, by definition you are not making money. If you are not making money, then someone else, probably a Japanese person, is supporting you. You fail.

Perhaps, I will fail but all people fail at different things in their lives. Let's hear about your most recent fail?

There is still a chance I could obtain permanent residence. Remember all those people that were so sure President Trump wouldn't become President?

You don't want to end up with egg on your face do you?