Guest viewing is limited

Life In Japan - The Low Points

if I follow your logic : racism has increased in France = all french are racist = so are the interior and the immigration minister = can't trust them when they talk about Romanians. I mean I make no fuckin sense but I want to defend somthing

Edit: I deleted my original post regarding this because from your post history I can tell you are extremely sensitive about race, maybe because you are a minority yourself.

I apologise to anyone I have offended.

Last edited:
OK, I just scrolled through 16 pages of this thread and I can't believe this has not come up.

The thing that does my head in more than anything else in Japan is visiting the AU shop ( I imagine you could insert SoftBank or Docomo interchangeably here)

I live about 30 minutes drive from the nearest shop so going there can be a hassle.

Here's my stories.
1. One day I wanted to upgrade a regular phone to a smart phone. So I drive to the shop. We talk about it and get the paperwork started. Then she asks for 2 forms of ID. This is where things start to go wrong.
I had truckloads of ID, but none has the company name on it. Gaijin Card, drivers lisc etc. She insists that she needs something with a company name on it. I ask what is suitable, and she says a 名刺 is OK. (Business card).
You gotta be kidding me! Anyway I'm driving a company car, so I go out and get the 車検証(warrant of fitness). This is govt issued and has the company name on it. I also pull out the insurance papers which have the company name and my name as boss on them. I go back into the shop and give them to the lady, but no! This is not suitable. I politely as to speak to someone above her pay grade and get connected to their customer support rep by phone. I explain the rediculousness of the situation but get no joy.
So I get back in my car, drive 30 minutes back to the office, make up and print out a business card, drive 30 minutes back to the shop and finally get the smartphone.

2. Another time I was in there changing the plan. The girl tells me that if I apply for a credit card I'll get a discount. You only need to apply for the discount. I don't want anymore credit cards so I fill out the application with low figures (income etc) thinking I'll get rejected. Then I check the "gold card only" box knowing they will never give me one.
Nothing happens for 4 months, then out of the blue a gold card arrives in the mail.

3. My pet peeve. When you enter the AU shop, there is a machine that gives you a number so the staff know the order customers come in.
There is usually a waiting time listed as well. OK, so I have no problem with this. Automating the system makes sense. What really does my head in is the woman standing next to the machine who greets you then pushes the touch screen and hand a little piece of paper with your number on it.

Honestly I'd quit if we didn't have 15 phones to cancel and all the other providers are about the same.

****Rant Over****

OK, I just scrolled through 16 pages of this thread and I can't believe this has not come up.

The thing that does my head in more than anything else in Japan is visiting the AU shop ( I imagine you could insert SoftBank or Docomo interchangeably here)

I live about 30 minutes drive from the nearest shop so going there can be a hassle.

Here's my stories.
1. One day I wanted to upgrade a regular phone to a smart phone. So I drive to the shop. We talk about it and get the paperwork started. Then she asks for 2 forms of ID. This is where things start to go wrong.
I had truckloads of ID, but none has the company name on it. Gaijin Card, drivers lisc etc. She insists that she needs something with a company name on it. I ask what is suitable, and she says a 名刺 is OK. (Business card).
You gotta be kidding me! Anyway I'm driving a company car, so I go out and get the 車検証(warrant of fitness). This is govt issued and has the company name on it. I also pull out the insurance papers which have the company name and my name as boss on them. I go back into the shop and give them to the lady, but no! This is not suitable. I politely as to speak to someone above her pay grade and get connected to their customer support rep by phone. I explain the rediculousness of the situation but get no joy.
So I get back in my car, drive 30 minutes back to the office, make up and print out a business card, drive 30 minutes back to the shop and finally get the smartphone.

2. Another time I was in there changing the plan. The girl tells me that if I apply for a credit card I'll get a discount. You only need to apply for the discount. I don't want anymore credit cards so I fill out the application with low figures (income etc) thinking I'll get rejected. Then I check the "gold card only" box knowing they will never give me one.
Nothing happens for 4 months, then out of the blue a gold card arrives in the mail.

3. My pet peeve. When you enter the AU shop, there is a machine that gives you a number so the staff know the order customers come in.
There is usually a waiting time listed as well. OK, so I have no problem with this. Automating the system makes sense. What really does my head in is the woman standing next to the machine who greets you then pushes the touch screen and hand a little piece of paper with your number on it.

Honestly I'd quit if we didn't have 15 phones to cancel and all the other providers are about the same.

****Rant Over****

How frustrating!

My wife is Japanese, as you know, and she tells me that anytime she needs any kind of smart phone service, she wastes most of the morning/afternoon.

Normally customer service in Japan is exemplary.

I wonder why this is the exception.

How frustrating!

My wife is Japanese, as you know, and she tells me that anytime she needs any kind of smart phone service, she wastes most of the morning/afternoon.

Normally customer service in Japan is exemplary.

I wonder why this is the exception.

Yup...I've noticed that too. Customer service has never been bad for except at the phone shop. :shifty:

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
2. The girl tells me that if I apply for a credit card I'll get a discount. You only need to apply for the discount. I don't want anymore credit cards so I fill out the application with low figures (income etc) thinking I'll get rejected. Then I check the "gold card only" box knowing they will never give me one.

I figured this one out; you need to fill with really high numbers! They don't care if your income is low as long as your credit history is clean so they just give you the card you want. But if you claim really high income they think you are pulling a scam and decline. :D

It took me while to understand this one, I have eight credit cards from Japan alone. :(

Yup...I've noticed that too. Customer service has never been bad for except at the phone shop. :shifty:

Because the business model is to sign you up with so many agreements, discounts and what-not for free that at the end you forgot to cancel them and are screwed.

I have been with Softbank and AU and both are worse than the other. There is a partial solution; go to an independent shop that handles all providers. They can hook you up with the best plan of the day and also are honest about all the small print that you would not notice otherwise. It's only partial solution because if you need any changes after the initial contract you might still need to go to the operator's shop.

Well, just a couple of months to go and I have my last four contracts to change from AU to some MVNO. Finally free! :)

Reactions: owlet and Kegger
Oh yes the phone companies. Don't get me started. I broke my phone once went into the shop I always do (and have to been to in the past to get my phone fixed) the man at the counter asked my situation so I explain in fluent Japanese I want to put my phone in to get fixed. He walks away talks to another man, this other man comes over and starts saying to me in broken English we have no English speaking staff here today we can't help you. That got me irritated so I explain to him I don't need English speaking staff I speak Japanese and all I want is to get my phone fixed. He proceeds to tell me sorry you can't do that here please go to another store. Very irritated to say the least. Went back a day later to this same store , no problems! I should've made a complaint makes me annoyed even now writing this

1. Japanese people listen to you but they don't really listen, holding a conversation with an average Japanese person is like trying to to cook an egg without the egg.
2. Lack of common sense and world problems, shit you not I've heard college students asking what are Nazis and what Israel is.
3. FOOD!!! All the food around my area is pretty much Japanesefied.
4.BEER!!! Japan should take a look at beer prices around the world.....

The thing that does my head in more than anything else in Japan is visiting the AU shop ( I imagine you could insert SoftBank or Docomo interchangeably here

AHHHH FUCKING AU!!!!

I was about to say some more.. but the large capitol FUCKING should say it all. no you are completely wrong. softbank and docomo are no where near as stupid as the fat fucks at AU.

Here's my stories.

****Rant Over****

#1 - what in the ever living fuck!? Holy shit, I'd hit enrage mode over something so mundane and waste of time.

Not only phone companies but any situation where you're asking something that requires someone to make a decision or do critical thinking... They stumble and fail because it doesn't fall under their neat set of rules!

But, yeah, consider your day spent when trying to change your phone - all the upselling and having to sit through a sales pitch that you're going to say no to anyway. I don't I how many times I've told people I don't want any other services and I don't want to change my home net connections....

I go to the 'company health check' and refuse a few of the tests because I have a regular doctor and don't meet the risk criteria by a long shot... Yet I have to spent 30min explaining it on each trip... and each time they finally give up and do as I request. Imagine that, the government & companies that want to poke and prod you and act like you have no say in the matter. They probably hate me... But I don't care. The topping on that cake is they will happen to ask a coworker that happens to be there with me to translate for them.... totally disregarding my privacy and not even asking me first. Enrage mode go!

(edited for smatphone typing fails)

Last edited:
Overall I love living in Japan and 99.9% of my day-to-day experiences are great but holy hell do I hear you guys on the phone shops.

I kept my old iPhone 5 for 4 years partially out of not wanting to step foot in the shop and partially because I liked the size. It was pretty much on its last legs when the SE was announced so I figured it was now or never... The experience was just as bad as I had imagined. To be honest I have nothing but sympathy for the staff - I don't think I've ever seen so many frustrated/pissed off people waiting for anything in Japan (not even the DMV!) so I can only imagine their jobs are hell. But the disorganization, ridiculous policies/campaigns, sign-up procedures and add-ons, etc are at best migraine inducing and at worst Kafka-esque.

At the end of the day I got a better data plan, better phone and cheaper monthly service but it took a couple months and about 3 hour+ trips to the shop. Let's hope the SE can hold on for 3~4 years, haha...

One other relatively slight annoyance - a couple years back I tried to sign up for life insurance through Aflac. Had to go in for the physical - no issues health-wise but the doc noted all my tattoos on the sheet. Ended up getting turned down for the policy because of that. I later saw that there is actually legislation on the books stating that companies can turn down tattooed individuals for policies - I believe this is related to the yaks running insurance scams. Not the end of the world but still a pain in the ass.

(...) 2. Lack of common sense and world problems, shit you not I've heard college students asking what are Nazis and what Israel is. (...)

As someone who worked at two domestic well-known Japanese companies in a senior Engineering position, I can't even describe how much lack of common sense and inability to make a decision is putting a lot of innovative services, products and technologies aback. Then, there is the absolute disregard for any security, even when the platform/service/software is deployed outside of Japan. I am sure I managed to upset a lot of useless middle managers a lot of the time when I did not signed off on a project, simply because they would store customer personal data and ofter credit card data completely unencrypted and plain-text, and deployed to old and unpatched services run by likes of NTT Data and/or NTT Communications that are still RHEL 5 or worse. Pure horror.

It kills me on the inside... Gah.

This just came to mind today and thought Id add...

(I've meet at lot of open minded Japanese people. But I always find myself more drawn to those that have travelled/have foriegn friends etc. are easier to talk to and aren't included in what Im about to mention)

subtle(sometimes not) hits of xenophobic attitudes still held by society in that half children are labeled as gaijin, any airtime we get on tv makes us out to be stupid and not able to speak Japanese properly or really understand Japanese culture. Gaijin face= can't speak the language so must speak in English to them(even if they just spoke in Japanese). If you're in a public setting, restaurant shop etc. the server will only speak or look at the Japanese person you are with , even if you're the one speaking. Also a lot more in regards to sterotypes.

This all comes to fmind when anybody brings up the 2020 Olympics with me. While a lot of Japanese people are worried about how the image of Japan will be portrayed I worry for a portion of Japanese society that needs to open up more to forgieners and cut out the everyday xenophobia. That what I see is a big problem to tackle before the olympics

Note please notice I never say racism as you can't be racist to white people. Those that can and do experience are people of colour( in Japan that mainly being Koreans and Chinese)

Last edited:
subtle(sometimes not) hits of xenophobic attitudes still held by society in that half children are labeled as gaijin, any airtime we get on tv makes us out to be stupid and not able to speak Japanese properly or really understand Japanese culture.

True, I would add that you can't speak English properly either :ROFLMAO:

I find that a lot of people who complain about xenophobia aren't nice people to begin with, and they attribute other people's dislike of them to "xenophobia" or "racism".

It's very simple, actually. If you're not a likeable person, people won't treat you nicely. It doesn't matter where in the world you live.

Beyond that, you made some good points about Japanese behaviour like only speaking to the Japanese person or speaking English to people with gaijin faces.
I don't think that's motivated by xenophobia, it's just that 1. Sometimes Japanese people can't understand foreign-accented Japanese, so they don't want to get embarrassed by not understanding what you say. 2. They want to make things easier for everyone, and perceive that you might not be as fluent, so they speak to a person they believe to be more fluent, or speak English to you.

I don't understand how speaking your language to you can be perceived as racist. As far as I know, speaking a person's native language to them is usually received very well, especially with foreigners. It's an implicit way of saying, hey, you're welcome here. Only in certain cases people get offended because they want to fit in so hard, and they have issues with self-identity (i.e. not confident with who they are).

Japan does struggle with xenophobia, and not without reason. But sometimes certain perceived "xenophobic" actions come from a good place in the heart.

Speaking of which, aren't you stereotyping Japanese people? And you want to complain about me talking about other races...
Please practice what you preach.

EDIT:

Note please notice I never say racism as you can't be racist to white people. Those that can and do experience are people of colour( in Japan that mainly being Koreans and Chinese)
Note please notice I never say racism as you can't be racist to white people.
you can't be racist to white people.

I deleted my response because this quote really speaks for itself
get back to Tumblr

Last edited:
As someone who worked at two domestic well-known Japanese companies in a senior Engineering position, I can't even describe how much lack of common sense and inability to make a decision is putting a lot of innovative services, products and technologies aback. Then, there is the absolute disregard for any security, even when the platform/service/software is deployed outside of Japan. I am sure I managed to upset a lot of useless middle managers a lot of the time when I did not signed off on a project, simply because they would store customer personal data and ofter credit card data completely unencrypted and plain-text, and deployed to old and unpatched services run by likes of NTT Data and/or NTT Communications that are still RHEL 5 or worse. Pure horror.

It kills me on the inside... Gah.

Sweet Jesus man, have we ever worked together?? Sounds like my very first Job here. Dont even get me started with NTT as a whole. i dont know who or how the fuck the engineers over there are hired. You propose something fresh to them and everyone freaks out.

Oow and to add the all this shit, Can someone on here explain to how the fuck i get ignored when it me talking and not the J lady? As in Duh, i am talking to you and instead of you talking back at me, your facing the J lady who didnt say shit. WTF?? How the fuck is that even logical??

Reactions: Black Mage
Oow and to add the all this shit, Can someone on here explain to how the fuck i get ignored when it me talking and not the J lady? As in Duh, i am talking to you and instead of you talking back at me, your facing the J lady who didnt say shit. WTF?? How the fuck is that even logical??

Been there, done that. They simply cannot believe that they can communicate with you. They'll turn to whatever safe alternative they can before just simply running away, haha.

Still.... sometimes it really pays to not understand Japanese. (or at least pretend not to) Things get done a lot faster 'cause they just want to get it done and not deal with a non-Japanese speaker any longer, haha. OTOH, you get to see what they say about you when they don't think you can understand...

I wondered if Japanese women rather speak to the woman I am with as they dont want to risk seeming like they are flirting with me.. Could explain it in some cases

I wondered if Japanese women rather speak to the woman I am with as they dont want to risk seeming like they are flirting with me.. Could explain it in some cases

Must be because you are...

Last edited:
Reactions: owlet
It doesn't happen often but every once in a while I'll run into that "speaking to the Japanese person and not the foreigner" situation.

This really only ever happens when we're working with a team/staff member we haven't worked with before but its doubly frustrating because not only am I the one initiating the exchange but I also outrank the Japanese people I work with and am the one who has to make final calls on decisions.

It doesn't bother me at all if its at the beginning of a conversation and they're still trying to suss out who is the decision maker, etc but it gets on my nerves really quickly when my Japanese subordinate is basically giving them all the physical and verbal clues they could ever need that they should be deferring to me and they still persist on speaking to them.

At the end of the day, though, no matter what culture you're in there are people who are sensitive to situations and good communicators and people who are just thick in the head so I don't really let it bother me that much.

Wow this has been really insightful learning about the not so rainbows and sunshines about Japan.

My time in japan has only been short.

So far I can only say the language barrier is my biggest low as I'm on the opposite end being an asian 'gaijin'.
(Aussie born but my ethnicity is filopino)
Maybe 2/10 times roughly speaking I'd be recognized as a foreigner and they speak jopanglish.
Rest of the time Japanese and my japanese is weeaboo at best(too much anime lol)
Last time I used a shitty translate app to say my Japanese isn't very good and ended up saying along the lines nihonjin ga tabemasen. @^'#&3!!! but it seemed to emphasize my Japanese was bad anyway lol.

Wished I didn't drop my Japanese l.o.t.e classes back in highschool, can't get far without it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
You guys do things really wrong. No need of AU, Docomo or whatever.
Buy a Sim-free smartphone online and go prepaid, there are so many options.
No need to go to these shops.

But to be fair, I was quite surprised when my actual girlfriend showed me last month that you can enter any Softbank and ask them to recharge your battery for free while you're having a walk around.
You'd never get that kind of service abroad.

Reactions: just4fun and smsjp
You guys do things really wrong. No need of AU, Docomo or whatever.
Buy a Sim-free smartphone online and go prepaid, there are so many options.
No need to go to these shops.

You get a prepaid Sim card that gives you a valid Japan phone number to use?

Of course. You live on Mars or what??

No. I'm referring to the local rules about prepaid sim cards and Japan phone numbers.
I assumed that you were referring to the ones you can buy off the shelf initially (without verification of residence, etc.)

Anyways, I'm sure it's helpful for some. ;)

Reactions: MikeH
I don't think they've changed the rules. You can get data only SIMs, but even prepaid ones- B-Mobile etc you have to prove residency.

You get a prepaid Sim card that gives you a valid Japan phone number to use?

The only one I know is still b-mobile and to get that you need to send them pics of your passport, entry stamp, used underwear and life size figure of your dick. Or something that complicated.