Guest viewing is limited

Need some advice leading me in the right direction

Most of those marriages to Chinese and Koreans are Japanese guys importing mail-order brides…
What about Filipino women? Statistically they were the favorite of Japanese mixed marriages.

What about Filipino women? Statistically they were the favorite of Japanese mixed marriages.

For Japanese guys the two most popular countries have always been China and Philippines, and both of these have been going down significantly after the government at the same time made it more difficult to get entertainer visa and tried to prevent fake marriages.

The main export of the Philippines is women.

Integrated circuits might be the biggest in monetary terms, but females do get very close. :p

Together with males they do get the first place (males account for 40% of the total workforce abroad). Surprisingly most money is send from the USA.

Reactions: Alice
You may strike on on a random woman who may respond to you, but those more likely turn out to be what we call 地雷 or landmines.

I am always fascinated how japanese manage to turn mental health issues sexy. Lol, especially through the popularity of 地雷系 fashion in recent years this word doesn't have such a negative ring to it anymore 😅

I am always fascinated how japanese manage to turn mental health issues sexy. Lol, especially through the popularity of 地雷系 fashion in recent years this word doesn't have such a negative ring to it anymore 😅
Technically the west was first with emo fashion.

I also don’t get why people act like self harm scars are a sign of deep mental problems or being “damaged goods”.
It was sort of a coping mechanism hype that most kids in my generation did, even the ones that were not emo.

Reactions: Maxblack
So are all the posters here players that can just walk into a hub and get laid that night when they present their JLPT cert? Just me and OP have to pay huh?

Anyone wanna be my wingman lol?

So are all the posters here players that can just walk into a hub and get laid that night when they present their JLPT cert? Just me and OP have to pay huh?

Anyone wanna be my wingman lol?
I did much better when i couldnt speak a word of japanese.
You’ve either gotta be fluent or monolingual. Charmingly inadequate isnt a thing here.

Language ability doesn't matter that much if you're in an environment where gaijin chasers congregate, like a HUB. They will all speak English anyway.

But language ability does let you cast a wider net, and some people find nampa to be easier in a non-native language because they are less conscious of the stupid things coming out of their mouth.

Seems like the hub is cool place to meet other sweaty foreigners like me and drink beer, with the small chance of a gaijin hunter.

Reactions: Maxblack
Seems like the hub is cool place to meet other sweaty foreigners like me and drink beer, with the small chance of a gaijin hunter.
I would say the percentage of foreigners at HUBs varries heavily depending on the location.
Of course the closer to touristy hotspots, the more.

Reactions: Alice
I would say the percentage of foreigners at HUBs varries heavily depending on the location.
Of course the closer to touristy hotspots, the more.

Funny this should come up. I was at Akihabara Station last week around noon with nothing better to do and killing time before I left town so I figured I'd start drinking. All of the izakaya joints I've been to around the station were closed so I started looking for a cafe-type joint with pretty staff and walked past HUB with zero intention of going in, until I noticed it was actually open for lunch (at least, one side was), was almost empty and there were ZERO foreigners/tourists inside. Then I stopped to see what sort of abominations were on the drink menu, and noticed they have a "draft cider" now. Who knew? I mean, I haven't been inside a HUB since 2019.

I ended up walking in and the female bartender--who I suppose could tell by my clothes that I was foreign--beckoned me in using excellent English so I figured...what the fuck...I'll have a pint and fuck off. I was led to a large table in a nearly-empty room, ordered my HUB usual (fries) and one of those curious "draft cider" pints, and you know what? That draft cider really isn't that bad. Reminded me of the Angry Orchard ciders we used to have stateside some years ago. Ended up ordering another three or four pints of that, and then a HUB Ale pint just for good measure, and that got me feeling nostalgic so I ordered the "Fish & Chips" disaster and used a heavy helping of the tartar sauce to polish that off, a couple more pints of the cider and then went on my merry way.

All in all, I must say that was the most pleasant experience I've ever had in a HUB, where most times I leave hating myself and the universe. Quiet, empty, no tourists, great new drink selection and great staff. Granted, that place probably turns into a fucking shithole after 4pm crammed full of stinking foreign tourists, dbag salary-jerkoffs and the usual area assortment of fucking dork losers from all corners of the world but at least during lunch hours it seems to be a fucking great place to just rest your legs and get comfortably numb.

If you're like me and enjoy getting your swerve on at noon and happen to find yourself in Akiba, and it feels almost surreal typing this, HUB IS A GREAT PLACE TO RELAX.

If you're like me and enjoy getting your swerve on at noon and happen to find yourself in Akiba, and it feels almost surreal typing this, HUB IS A GREAT PLACE TO RELAX.
It really depends on the HUB, crowd is completely different depending on which one you go to. I haven't been to the Akiba one, mostly because thats out of my way, but the Shinjuku ones are completely forgettable while the main Shibuya one can be pretty good on week nights.

Also a note to all tourists - the M/F ratio skews heavily towards M and you have guys there who can actually speak Japanese, so if you are hoping to "get picked up by a gaijin hunter" you could be sitting in the HUB for a veeeery long time :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Danbo
Funny this should come up. I was at Akihabara Station last week around noon with nothing better to do and killing time before I left town so I figured I'd start drinking. All of the izakaya joints I've been to around the station were closed so I started looking for a cafe-type joint with pretty staff and walked past HUB with zero intention of going in, until I noticed it was actually open for lunch (at least, one side was), was almost empty and there were ZERO foreigners/tourists inside. Then I stopped to see what sort of abominations were on the drink menu, and noticed they have a "draft cider" now. Who knew? I mean, I haven't been inside a HUB since 2019.

I ended up walking in and the female bartender--who I suppose could tell by my clothes that I was foreign--beckoned me in using excellent English so I figured...what the fuck...I'll have a pint and fuck off. I was led to a large table in a nearly-empty room, ordered my HUB usual (fries) and one of those curious "draft cider" pints, and you know what? That draft cider really isn't that bad. Reminded me of the Angry Orchard ciders we used to have stateside some years ago. Ended up ordering another three or four pints of that, and then a HUB Ale pint just for good measure, and that got me feeling nostalgic so I ordered the "Fish & Chips" disaster and used a heavy helping of the tartar sauce to polish that off, a couple more pints of the cider and then went on my merry way.

All in all, I must say that was the most pleasant experience I've ever had in a HUB, where most times I leave hating myself and the universe. Quiet, empty, no tourists, great new drink selection and great staff. Granted, that place probably turns into a fucking shithole after 4pm crammed full of stinking foreign tourists, dbag salary-jerkoffs and the usual area assortment of fucking dork losers from all corners of the world but at least during lunch hours it seems to be a fucking great place to just rest your legs and get comfortably numb.

Is that the one on the ground floor of an office building? Like in a foyer area with ‘outside’ seating inside the foyer area.

Also yes, the cider is fine. Hard to find good cider here, even harder on draft.

Reactions: MikeH
When you guys say HUB, believe you guys are referring to the pub called HUB all over japan?

Also yes, the cider is fine. Hard to find good cider here, even harder on draft.

Amen to that. Before the draft cider they only had something in bottles with ridiculous prices so the draft was definitely a step to the right direction.

ordered the "Fish & Chips" disaster and used a heavy helping of the tartar sauce to polish that off,
I dont get the hate toward hub fish and chips. I mean its not what i order (i go for the lamb kebabs) as my metabolism isnt what it used to be so avoid the deep fried carbs, but they arent bad at all. The chips are ‘meh’ but the fish is fine. For 500yen or whatever it is, not a bad deal.

Is that the one on the ground floor of an office building? Like in a foyer area with ‘outside’ seating inside the foyer area.

Yep, that office tower just outside the station. There are two HUB bars, one on each side of the corridor. One was closed at noon and the one opposite was open with perhaps three groups of quiet Japanese nursing tiny drinks. Now, I don't know if that's the norm but if it is, that's for damn sure going to be on my agenda next time I'm in town with a couple of hours to spare. I think the cider was 800-yen for a pint, I think.

Putting some things into perspective:
  • Average salary in Japan is above JPY 6 million per year, around $50k/year (depending on how shitty the exchange rate gets).
My salaryman friends who have been working in the same company for more than a decade don't even make 1/3 of that salary though (after taxes) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . I also have a friend who is a train driver and he makes roughly around 2.5 million yen per year, again after taxes 😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: requiemmorrow
My salaryman friends who have been working in the same company for more than a decade don't even make 1/3 of that salary though (after taxes)

That is worse than the starting salaries for new university hires in Tokyo area.