Guest viewing is limited

Racism In Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it and since I was influenced by a particular scholar, I'd say that nobody forced any foreigners here ( Caucasian or not) to take up residence. When you set foot on foreign soil, you accept the realities of the land. This is Japan. There was this islander from another country and he got a couple of toes crushed at a factory. The company paid for his medical and that was it. But you know, I met a Japanese man at a standing bar and he had all these scars on his hands and arms. He was missing a few patches of skin here and there. People never focus on what the Japanese do to their own. It would be reasonable to surmise that Japan will not change until the Japanese themselves change. In other words, stand up to the cultural ignorance.

If I were a moderator here, for example, I'd straight up delete Keiji's post using the N-word. on the other hand, I believe in the right to speak freely. But could he have used another word to describe what he was saying. He could have but he didn't. If I get on here and use such language to describe Asians, I'd be called out for my choices. But you see, that to me is arguing over spilt milk.

Arguing over spilt milk does not solve these more egregious things:

1. Death
2. Exploitation
3. Mental Duress caused by being forced to work with crazy people
4. Mental Duress caused by company threats to take away sponsorship unless you do what they demand
5. Making workers work with dangerous chemicals
6. Making employees sign illegal contracts. Means working for sub contractors. By law the sub contractor does not have to pay you
7. Denying bonuses and in some cases short changing pensions. Getting better, but not good enough.
8. Denying translators during incarceration periods

I can think of a lot of other stuff that's more serious than some fleeting ignorant comment that would be quickly forgotten just like Keiji's high propensity to use the N word any chance he gets. Quickly forgotten versus always remembered like ruin your fucking life with the stroke of a brush and a big hanko on some document that says for the 35 years you worked here, your pension is zero. Yep that happens to individuals. Can you imagine that fight at that stage of your life? It's been waged by men and women before us. Thank the good Lord for those people fighting the ones that perpetuated outright disregard for foreign workers. Thank the Chinese, the Brazillians, the ethnic Koreans, and now other groups for standing up to the system and winning. Brazillians have political clout because they attack that egregious shit first. What exactly is an uneducated minority going to do? Nothing but discuss trite!

The banality of all this lies on the fact that 60 years ago or more people were writing about this stuff. There actually are three periods of time to consider: before the war, after the war, and the bubble years. The same treatment and sayings exist but are probably not as severe today.

Now, historically speaking, the Japanese have been very generous to Africans. If they were at all racist like people make them out to be-why give so much money and aid to Africa? I was talking to a West African about why he came to Japan. He was a refugee and his mother sold everything and sent him here. While he has a factory job, he paid his mother back and much more. His main trouble is he is stuck at that factory because he has no university degree. He supposedly can't enter a Japanese university. A Japanese man was supposed to be helping him get accepted into a western University here. I have not seen him since I changed trains. But the fact that he is being helped to better himself by a Japanese man is the point. Same rules apply here as everywhere- associate with good people. Disassociate with the bad once they show themselves. Run like a jack rabbit!

Why say ALL Japanese are racist? There are so many great Japanese people here that love all people. Why let a small number ruin the greatness of being able to live and work abroad? Because you couldn't enter a building of ill repute that provides sexual services? How absurd is that? How absurd is it to think that mongering is a right and that all pimps have to cater to everybody? It's not a shopping mall, it's not a restaurant, it's not a supermarket even though it has meat for sale, and it's not a medical office specialing in licensed medicine either. It's a business of ill fame and while we don't like it, it's mostly for Japanese.

I used to go to this place to kill time. The girl always was nice, she always was the one the manager chose for me. Remember I was killing time. So most of the time she did nothing but nap after 45 minutes into a 2 hour course. I never caused trouble, followed the rules. It reminded me of being in a strip bar where you and the girl click. As I was leaving the manager(a different man from the one that let me in) had that pissed look on his face and the two men suddenly burst into a tirade. Then, one apologized. He said come again and handed me a discount card with a stamp. So I did, but the new guy refused to let me enter stating the place was for Japanese only. I tried once again months later. I have never been allowed back in. I deduced that the old geezer in the waiting room complained as he and the manager were talking about something for 10 minutes. We all know this place and it's in Shibuya.

This kind of stuff won't change much just like certain landlords haven't. But for every one that doesn't, one or two do and offer up a service with the expectation of the foreigner following the rules. Rules that are arbitrary, but societal rules no doubt. So just who do you challenge to get all pimps to let you into their establishment? Do we get a bunch of people together and pass out flyers in front of the sex businesses that are selective? Do we do the same for landlords? Or should we just let it go? With so many courtesans running around, why even care? With so many properties to rent, why care? Let the ignorant stay in their ignorance. Avoid them like the plague or your outlook on life will be soured. I don't even think I even acknowledge those types of people whether they be here of any nationality or anywhere.

Reactions: Emma-Emerio
Question: (and offtopic) /forgive me meiji :p

What do you guys do during the day to write this stuff? Does nobody work? or is your job not that busy?
(or not in japan, lol....)

I hate to say it and since I was influenced by a particular scholar, I'd say that nobody forced any foreigners here ( Caucasian or not) to take up residence. When you set foot on foreign soil, you accept the realities of the land. This is Japan. There was this islander from another country and he got a couple of toes crushed at a factory. The company paid for his medical and that was it. But you know, I met a Japanese man at a standing bar and he had all these scars on his hands and arms. He was missing a few patches of skin here and there. People never focus on what the Japanese do to their own. It would be reasonable to surmise that Japan will not change until the Japanese themselves change. In other words, stand up to the cultural ignorance.

If I were a moderator here, for example, I'd straight up delete Keiji's post using the N-word. on the other hand, I believe in the right to speak freely. But could he have used another word to describe what he was saying. He could have but he didn't. If I get on here and use such language to describe Asians, I'd be called out for my choices. But you see, that to me is arguing over spilt milk.

Arguing over spilt milk does not solve these more egregious things:

1. Death
2. Exploitation
3. Mental Duress caused by being forced to work with crazy people
4. Mental Duress caused by company threats to take away sponsorship unless you do what they demand
5. Making workers work with dangerous chemicals
6. Making employees sign illegal contracts. Means working for sub contractors. By law the sub contractor does not have to pay you
7. Denying bonuses and in some cases short changing pensions. Getting better, but not good enough.
8. Denying translators during incarceration periods

I can think of a lot of other stuff that's more serious than some fleeting ignorant comment that would be quickly forgotten just like Keiji's high propensity to use the N word any chance he gets. Quickly forgotten versus always remembered like ruin your fucking life with the stroke of a brush and a big hanko on some document that says for the 35 years you worked here, your pension is zero. Yep that happens to individuals. Can you imagine that fight at that stage of your life? It's been waged by men and women before us. Thank the good Lord for those people fighting the ones that perpetuated outright disregard for foreign workers. Thank the Chinese, the Brazillians, the ethnic Koreans, and now other groups for standing up to the system and winning. Brazillians have political clout because they attack that egregious shit first. What exactly is an uneducated minority going to do? Nothing but discuss trite!

The banality of all this lies on the fact that 60 years ago or more people were writing about this stuff. There actually are three periods of time to consider: before the war, after the war, and the bubble years. The same treatment and sayings exist but are probably not as severe today.

Now, historically speaking, the Japanese have been very generous to Africans. If they were at all racist like people make them out to be-why give so much money and aid to Africa? I was talking to a West African about why he came to Japan. He was a refugee and his mother sold everything and sent him here. While he has a factory job, he paid his mother back and much more. His main trouble is he is stuck at that factory because he has no university degree. He supposedly can't enter a Japanese university. A Japanese man was supposed to be helping him get accepted into a western University here. I have not seen him since I changed trains. But the fact that he is being helped to better himself by a Japanese man is the point. Same rules apply here as everywhere- associate with good people. Disassociate with the bad once they show themselves. Run like a jack rabbit!

Why say ALL Japanese are racist? There are so many great Japanese people here that love all people. Why let a small number ruin the greatness of being able to live and work abroad? Because you couldn't enter a building of ill repute that provides sexual services? How absurd is that? How absurd is it to think that mongering is a right and that all pimps have to cater to everybody? It's not a shopping mall, it's not a restaurant, it's not a supermarket even though it has meat for sale, and it's not a medical office specialing in licensed medicine either. It's a business of ill fame and while we don't like it, it's mostly for Japanese.

I used to go to this place to kill time. The girl always was nice, she always was the one the manager chose for me. Remember I was killing time. So most of the time she did nothing but nap after 45 minutes into a 2 hour course. I never caused trouble, followed the rules. It reminded me of being in a strip bar where you and the girl click. As I was leaving the manager(a different man from the one that let me in) had that pissed look on his face and the two men suddenly burst into a tirade. Then, one apologized. He said come again and handed me a discount card with a stamp. So I did, but the new guy refused to let me enter stating the place was for Japanese only. I tried once again months later. I have never been allowed back in. I deduced that the old geezer in the waiting room complained as he and the manager were talking about something for 10 minutes. We all know this place and it's in Shibuya.

This kind of stuff won't change much just like certain landlords haven't. But for every one that doesn't, one or two do and offer up a service with the expectation of the foreigner following the rules. Rules that are arbitrary, but societal rules no doubt. So just who do you challenge to get all pimps to let you into their establishment? Do we get a bunch of people together and pass out flyers in front of the sex businesses that are selective? Do we do the same for landlords? Or should we just let it go? With so many courtesans running around, why even care? With so many properties to rent, why care? Let the ignorant stay in their ignorance. Avoid them like the plague or your outlook on life will be soured. I don't even think I even acknowledge those types of people whether they be here of any nationality or anywhere.

Using the N-word couldn't possibly be controversial and offensive to millions of people, only anything that might possibly and indirectly upset feminists ;-)

I think the point isn't that only Japanese are racist, but how little effort there is made to address it or support equality in the law.

Reactions: Expired Beef!
I think the point isn't that only Japanese are racist, but how little effort her is made to address it or support equality in the law.

Look, I've talked to some Japanese people that are so set on the Japanese 'race' that they would prefer Japan to just die instead of allowing foreigners to live here and breed with their women. (No foreigners period, no mixed kids, no nothing... ) If Japanese people can't keep up the birth rate, then the country should just die with dignity.

I'm not repeating verbatim what this one person said, but that's exactly what they meant.

Some of these people are in leadership positions and it won't likely change since the kids of the current leadership will likely take over.

Truth be told, for Japan and other parts of the world... there won't be any change in our lifetime and probably long after we're dead (and the earth is still here) there will be racism, offensive words and other garbage that people will NEVER GET OVER.

Question: (and offtopic) /forgive me meiji :p

What do you guys do during the day to write this stuff? Does nobody work? or is your job not that busy?
(or not in japan, lol....)
I am multi-tasking while quarantined for having severe hay fever. I wonder that about Solong! He has more time than than the time keeper.

I am multi-tasking while quarantined for having severe hay fever. I wonder that about Solong! He has more time than than the time keeper.
Has anyone ever heard of mobile phones and Tapatalk? Makes it easy to get notifications and send replies. You don't have to sit in front of a desktop computer anymore.

Look, I've talked to some Japanese people that are so set on the Japanese 'race' that they would prefer Japan to just die instead of allowing foreigners to live here and breed with their women. (No foreigners period, no mixed kids, no nothing... ) If Japanese people can't keep up the birth rate, then the country should just die with dignity.

I'm not repeating verbatim what this one person said, but that's exactly what they meant.

Some of these people are in leadership positions and it won't likely change since the kids of the current leadership will likely take over.

Truth be told, for Japan and other parts of the world... there won't be any change in our lifetime and probably long after we're dead (and the earth is still here) there will be racism, offensive words and other garbage that people will NEVER GET OVER.
The funny thing about change, is even if a person or group wants to live in the past or wants to reject the changing universe all around them, it will happen anyway.

And not all of any group, tribe, race, or nationality are going to agree or support negative racist ideology or hate for others. And definitely not all Japanese do.

I introduce to you, brothers and sisters of TAG, the new Miss Universe Japan. Bi-racial Japanese and Black, or Blasian as I've read in some circles.

0150312en91_p.jpg

Japanwinner.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wwanderer
The funny thing about change, is even if a person or group wants to live in the past or wants to reject the changing universe all around them, it will happen anyway.

And not all of any group, tribe, race, or nationality are going to agree or support negative racist ideology or hate for others. And definitely not all Japanese do.

I introduce to you, brothers and sisters of TAG, the new Miss Universe Japan. Bi-racial Japanese and Black, or Blasian as I've read in some circles.

0150312en91_p.jpg

Japanwinner.jpg
I'd buy that for a dollar.

[...]

I can think of a lot of other stuff that's more serious than some fleeting ignorant comment that would be quickly forgotten just like Keiji's high propensity to use the N word any chance he gets.

Definetly not. You got me wrong and that is only because you haven't read enough of my posts. I have made clear difference when I use the words "nigger" and when I speak of black people. I choose to use the word Nigger only when they are the subject of White American's attack, so as to remind Americans of how much Racism is there.

Whenever I talk about black people in normal circunstances, I don't employ Nigger. Plus...with all the posts I have made already it should be GLASS CLEAR that I am much into favoring black people in supportive defense.

Just read more of my posts, I forgive you in advanced.

That "decision" was hardly your grand-parents'.

Okay...so now you are saying that I didn't manage to talk these things out with my grandparents while they were still alive...But all of a sudden,...YOU DID.?! So you met my grandparents?

Yeah...like you for example calling me a Twit and even after I proved you all wrong...for you following GoldenDaltons missleading offtopic...and I still didn't get your apologies.

Yeah...like you for example calling me a Twit and even after I proved you all wrong...for you following GoldenDaltons missleading offtopic...and I still didn't get your apologies.

Um. Did you quote the wrong post? I'm just curious...

She's stunning and all, but I wouldn't be mentioning her as a symbol of progress, given the backlash from all the people saying that she's not sufficiently Japanese.

Reactions: cabbie
Controversy is a symptom of progress on social issues, imo.

-Ww

Reactions: Solong
Theres a good number of halfs doing great in Japan, modeling mostly and you can see them showing up in TV shows like Hirunandesu all the time with their oshare fashion sagashi segments. But they appear in all kind of shows. You know, Lola, Angelica and then nikkeis like Marcia. Im more than used to them and I like them a lot. I know half acceptance is wide in general.

But I will have to agree with the Japanese population and the negative reaction not because I dislike halfs but, because...

If I were walking down any street and I were to just cross paths with her and happen to take a look at her... I would never imagine her to be Japanese...Just like all of you I guess...Without knowing she was elected Miss Universe Japan... Would you imagine her Japanese grown? Because these Miss Universe thing is mostly about appearence, isn't it?

Reactions: just4fun
But I will have to agree with the Japanese population and the negative reaction not because I dislike halfs but, because...

If I were walking down any street and I were to just cross paths with her and happen to take a look at her... I would never imagine her to be Japanese...Just like all of you I guess...Without knowing she was elected Miss Universe Japan... Would you imagine her Japanese grown? Because these Miss Universe thing is mostly about appearence, isn't it?

So trying to see how Keiji logic works exactly.

If you don't look or act like a typical American, you should be discriminated against?

And if a non-Asian person is born, raised, has Japanese citizenship, and speaks Japanese they are actually not really Japanese?

She's stunning and all, but I wouldn't be mentioning her as a symbol of progress, given the backlash from all the people saying that she's not sufficiently Japanese.
Actually, she is the very litmus test of if the Japanese, as a country, are making any progress ;-)

Theres a good number of halfs doing great in Japan, modeling mostly and you can see them showing up in TV shows like Hirunandesu all the time with their oshare fashion sagashi segments. But they appear in all kind of shows. You know, Lola, Angelica and then nikkeis like Marcia. Im more than used to them and I like them a lot. I know half acceptance is wide in general.

Becky's always gives me a chubby......

Actually, she is the very litmus test of if the Japanese, as a country, are making any progress ;-)

Yes, because it's progress that she was selected by a small number of judges for a beauty contest over the objections of other judges who said they didn't vote for her specifically because they don't consider her to be Japanese -- not that she wasn't the best candidate or not the most beautiful. Because she's not Japanese according to them. That's not to mention the sizable outcry from some Japanese for the same reason.

I'm not saying there hasn't been progress, but Miss Universe Japan isn't a good example proving that there has been.

Okay...so now you are saying that I didn't manage to talk these things out with my grandparents while they were still alive...But all of a sudden,...YOU DID.?! So you met my grandparents?
Meiji Japan elites tossed the garbage out into the world because it wasn't worth the effort keeping them fed in Japan. :bookworm:

And as they say...

Wow... Just wow.
And there my friend is the problem.

Your mind - and your society - isn't wide enough to accept anything but a very narrow vision of what it means to be Japanese.

You talk a lot about racial problems elsewhere, but attitudes like this are ingrained in Japan. She may be born and raised in Japan with a Japanese parent and have Japanese nationality - but if the blood is mixed then she can't be seen as "real" Japanese - she's not "one of us."

Japan has long talked the talk about "internationalization" but if they had really supported the internationalization they talk about a "half" Miss Universe Japan wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Your mind - and your society - isn't wide enough to accept anything but a very narrow vision of what it means to be Japanese.
He's about as Japanese as a Korean press-ganged for IJA cannon fodder units. :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.