Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are racists and people who hate for a wide variety of reasons in all countries and cultures. I would actually count it as a plus of Japan that such people insult you in such subtle ways that it "requires that a person lived in Japan for many years, and to be very observant about body language" to even recognize such micro-aggressions. Come to NYC, and you won't be in any doubt for more than a split second if someone takes a dislike to you... :-/

-Ww

If a JAPANESE standing near by me sneezes, does it means he/she is a racist sneakily sending a message to japanese people around ? Should I confront him/her or sneeze right back at him/her?
I had someone (old japanese women) actually turn and cough right at me. I in turn coughed back.....she didn't notice the phlegm ball on her shoulder though nor did I say a thing.

There are racists and people who hate for a wide variety of reasons in all countries and cultures. I would actually count it as a plus of Japan that such people insult you in such subtle ways that it "requires that a person lived in Japan for many years, and to be very observant about body language" to even recognize such micro-aggressions. Come to NYC, and you won't be in any doubt for more than a split second if someone takes a dislike to you... :-/

-Ww
I've seen that more than once.....

-Ww

LOL! Quite true. In NY, being rude appears to be an art form for some people.

And it was partially why I created this thread, knowing I would catch all kinds of flak for it. I wanted to show some of the Japanese equivalents, which are admittedly much more subtle and difficult to detect.

Reactions: Wwanderer
In Australia, we often call people we regard highly the C word, & refer to those we intensely dislike as "mates"

Eg: Johnno's grabbin a slab (carton/case) of beer from the Bottle -O
& a bag of "smoko" for the barby (barbecue) tomorrow"
"Fkn Mad Cnt!"

Eg 2: listen mate, you look at me missus again & I'll bash your head in.

Granted, it doesn't take long to figure things out.

.. effective alternative, if you speak Japanese well enough, is to bow deeply and apologize (as sincerely as you can manage) for having been born non-Japanese; then explain that being gaijin is simply an unfortunate fate with which you will have to deal throughout your life. I have seen this done with devastating effect...

Taking the high road in somehow the Japanese way.

@Wwanderer, you must have lived here long to know to pull that kind of stuff.

Reactions: John Chavers
So sick. I'm afraid how people can misunderstand each other without enough communication.

Japanese don't insult in such a creepy way.

Reactions: Guuu
Are you insinuating they were Korean? :LOL::banghead:

This is from years of being in Japan and can help foreigners decipher odd Japanese behavior. In many cases, the foreigner will realize there is something going on, but not be sure what it is.

7) Cutting you off on line or walking straight into you

This can possibly be passive-aggressive behavior, like saying you don't exist. You will know it's odd and not so accidental, when it's obvious they should know better. Like you are standing in a convenience store line or in front of the cashier, and they blatantly try to cut in front of you or are weirdly too close behind you.

It's different from accidental, because the other person wasn't watching where they were going, playing on their phone, etc... This behavior is more intentional, where they see you or are looking right at you, but proceed to obstruct or cut you off anyway.

It's a form of disrespect, like "You shouldn't be here!" or "Get the fuck out my way!"

This whole country is passive aggressive to some level I would say, but that is just my opinion. If they don't want sit by me on the train? Fine...I will just enjoy the extra room.

But, I have dealt with number seven a lot, especially in major stations in Tokyo, salarymen and ojiichans eyeballing as they walk into me all the time. I get pissed off and used to move. A good friend of mine told me, a walk as if you own the place, like a daimyo, but not so much you come across as an asshole but as someone not to be trifled with. I thought about it and gave it a shot. Since then I have had much success using this technique. I cruise like a man on the move and they give way. I have just one instance where I had to put my should into a guy. I was in Yokohama with my blind mother-in-law. A guy was coming at me looking at me the whole way, I had my mother-in-law on my right, so I stiffened my left shoulder so it had no give. So, when the bumped me he took all 100 kilos of my frame and fell promptly on his ass. He gave me a pissed of look from the floor, I smiled while I offered him my hand, which he refused, and told him Japanese "be careful, he should pay more attention, so he can avoid accidents like this." My mother-in-law asked what happened and I told her it was nothing to concern herself with.

Personally I avoid physical contact with strangers. Let them strut their stuff: it's all they've got in this cold, hard world.
dead.gif

Last edited:
People that derail threads by commenting on each other instead of the topic at hand are going to be booted permanently from that thread. And people that derail multiple threads are going to start getting booted for lengthy periods of time from TAG.

If you have a problem with a post or a poster, you can easily ignore them, or better, hit the little "Report" button under that post. If you want to tell a user what you think of them, use the private messaging facility that TAG mgmt has helpfully provided for you. Keep it out of the threads.

Laughing in the way you are describing would make it appear that the foreigner is crazy, in most cases outside of a bar (and possibly there too). The Japanese who initiated or instigated the situation, will then act as if you are the aggressor (the crazy aggressor), or recoil in horror pretending to be totally innocent.

You shouldn't have to apologize to a Japanese person for existing. It's your natural right to exist. And it's arguably playing into what they are doing, where they are trying to belittle you.

In many cases, the insult by the Japanese person is "hit and run". They do something insulting and cowardly exit the area, because they fear the foreigner will notice or retaliate. So the foreign person would have no chance to respond, unless they are unusually quick or already aware of what is about to happen.

An example (and possibly No. 8 for you ROB), is where they pretend to about to sit next to you (train, bus, coffee shop...) then suddenly (as if changed their mind) get up or don't fully sit. Then speed off elsewhere.

Another related one, is going into a group debate about who will sit next to the foreigner, where all in the group refuse or start laughing.

In cases where the Japanese person stays around, you can mirror their behavior (do it back) or ask them "why" they are doing such an action, in Japanese. In both cases, the Japanese person or group will realize that you know what they are doing or make them aware of how they are acting inappropriately towards you. Usually, they won't repeat such behavior around you again, or they may even apologize to you.

I'm not going to claim that Japanese don't intentionally pretend to sit next to a foreigner and at the last moment, pull away because I'm sure it happens. In my experience what seems more likely is that a Japanese person will go to sit by me and suddenly change their mind if I make eye contact with them. I think most Japanese people, especially women are cowards.

I also notice that when I'm getting off at the same stop as a Japanese woman that exhibits this sort of odd behavior, they will almost always try to move away from you and make sure to exit the train from a different door.

I hear the "cough" and the "atsui" all the time. I often will mimic them. A racist old fart coughs, I cough right after and make eye contact. If some old hag says atsui sitting right under an AC fan on the train, I say atsui and exaggerate by pulling on my collar.

I'm not going to claim that Japanese don't intentionally pretend to sit next to a foreigner and at the last moment, pull away because I'm sure it happens. In my experience what seems more likely is that a Japanese person will go to sit by me and suddenly change their mind if I make eye contact with them. I think most Japanese people, especially women are cowards.

I also notice that when I'm getting off at the same stop as a Japanese woman that exhibits this sort of odd behavior, they will almost always try to move away from you and make sure to exit the train from a different door.

I hear the "cough" and the "atsui" all the time. I often will mimic them. A racist old fart coughs, I cough right after and make eye contact. If some old hag says atsui sitting right under an AC fan on the train, I say atsui and exaggerate by pulling on my collar.

You are catching on a bit more. I will often reflect/do back the behavior that Japanese give me, to show them what's it like or that their micro-aggressive behavior has been noticed. By identifying micro-aggressive behavior, it shows me those Japanese to avoid, be wary, or not to trust in a relationship, business, business establishment, or work context.

As for the Japanese "sit next to a foreigner game", I see it as a combination of both. Sometimes intentional/bias/racist, and sometimes cowardice/fear/paranoia. I've played this "game" with Japanese too, as an experiment. Among the funniest reactions was a Japanese guy that followed me, after I didn't sit down and moved away, then he sits next me on the next train car. I just started laughing, and he smiled. It's interesting that a lot of Japanese feel just as freaked out and insulted when foreigners play the same games on them.

I think empathy (or lack of it) is another issue in Japan, and if you Google it, you will find a lot of discussion on it. Just like there is a difference between how Japanese culture process "guilt" and "shame", there is also a culture difference from Western culture in how Japanese process "empathy" and "compassion". That is, the Japanese feel compassion, but lack empathy, particularly for anybody outside their group or family. This is partially a source of micro-aggressive and bullying type of behavior.

I think the cowardice comes from a lot of social anxiety disorders, insecurities, fear, and paranoia about anything different and outside their small bubble. It's sad that too many people go through life that way, but you have to accept they won't change, until they can realize what they are doing and develop the courage to change.

TokyoJoeblow, as you begin to notice these behaviors more, try to be the "better man" about it. Realize that various people are doing things unthinkingly or subconsciously, like sleep walking through life. Show some compassion and understanding towards them.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
This 'tit-for-tat' to perceived cultural or 'racial' slights is a bit childish isn't it, guys? You are just not in Kansas anymore. But I do like your last sentence, Solong.

change their mind if I make eye contact with them

Making eye contact with strangers is actually considered rude and somewhat aggressive in Japan. Good salespeople are taught to focus on the customer's necktie knot when making pitches.

Even brief eye contact here has the same cultural nuance as "eyeballing" someone in the west.

This 'tit-for-tat' to perceived cultural or 'racial' slights is a bit childish isn't it, guys? You are just not in Kansas anymore. But I do like your last sentence, Solong.

And probably somewhat counter productive. Solong does have it right in the end. By challenging these people and being ridiculous back you probably just end up backing up a very wrong perception that all foreigners are rude,unpredictable and nothing but trouble to people around you. These are Japanese people who were raised in a country full of Japanese people. There is racism in multi cultural countries too just the majority of society got used to seeing people of various racial backgrounds in all areas of society. But go to any predominantly white area of a western country and you'll find plenty of racism in daily life including lots of stereotypes of racial groups.

It's just on a grander scale with a country that is 98.5% Japanese with the other 1.5% minority of around 2 million non Japanese are mostly made up of other Far East Asians. Anything else is a huge minority and subject to all sorts of stereotypes and it probably doesn't help that there are Westerners who are willing to play up to stereotypes to get on Japanese TV. I got very side tracked but what I'm saying is and others have said it already racism does exist everywhere. There are people who are more small minded than others so being the bigger person is always the best option to take. The more you play into the hands of people who want a reaction which makes you look bad the more you set things back with people who carry on these old ways of thinking.

a country that is 98.5% Japanese with the other 1.5% minority of around 2 million non Japanese are mostly made up of other Far East Asians. Anything else is a huge minority and subject to all sorts of stereotypes

This is particularly true outside the biggest cities where almost all of the few non-asian westerners live. In such places seeing, much less interacting with, a Westerner for example can be a truly rare experience for the locals.

-Ww

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
And probably somewhat counter productive. Solong does have it right in the end. By challenging these people and being ridiculous back you probably just end up backing up a very wrong perception that all foreigners are rude,unpredictable and nothing but trouble to people around you. These are Japanese people who were raised in a country full of Japanese people. There is racism in multi cultural countries too just the majority of society got used to seeing people of various racial backgrounds in all areas of society. But go to any predominantly white area of a western country and you'll find plenty of racism in daily life including lots of stereotypes of racial groups.

It's just on a grander scale with a country that is 98.5% Japanese with the other 1.5% minority of around 2 million non Japanese are mostly made up of other Far East Asians. Anything else is a huge minority and subject to all sorts of stereotypes and it probably doesn't help that there are Westerners who are willing to play up to stereotypes to get on Japanese TV. I got very side tracked but what I'm saying is and others have said it already racism does exist everywhere. There are people who are more small minded than others so being the bigger person is always the best option to take. The more you play into the hands of people who want a reaction which makes you look bad the more you set things back with people who carry on these old ways of thinking.

A racist Japanese person who for instance starts aggressively waving a sensu(fan) at you and overly exaggerating "Atsui, atsui..." (or other odd comments), while looking at you (expressing- you stink) is operating under the principle of a bully. He/she believes that they can take advantage or abuse you and get away with it.

If you don't at times stand up to bullies, it can only just embolden them to do more. You are weak or accept being inferior, so I will do more abusive behavior. They are getting off on this bad or evil behavior. Doing nothing can be exactly what is playing into their hands and how they will treat the next foreigner or different race person.

Even when it's not as extreme as racism, but ignorance, it's good sometimes to make people aware. That is, let's be clear about what's going on here. Like if you work in a Japanese company or in a group, and don't want to suffer the same bad or weird treatment everyday.

For instance, some Japanese don't think you can speak Japanese and are talking about the suit you are wearing, even complementing you. "Hey, some foreigners can speak Japanese, and it can be a bit rude to talk and gossip about people while they are sitting next to you. And thanks for the compliment ;-)"

Reflecting back or making people aware of what they are doing, or how you feel about their behavior or treatment, doesn't always have to be fight. There are ways of doing it smoothly.

Yes, there is very much a balance of being totally justified, teaching a good lesson, being wrong, or over-reacting. That's why you should be smart and choose your battles wisely too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.