Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
And probably somewhat counter productive. Solong does have it right in the end. By challenging these people and being ridiculous back you probably just end up backing up a very wrong perception that all foreigners are rude,unpredictable and nothing but trouble to people around you. These are Japanese people who were raised in a country full of Japanese people. There is racism in multi cultural countries too just the majority of society got used to seeing people of various racial backgrounds in all areas of society. But go to any predominantly white area of a western country and you'll find plenty of racism in daily life including lots of stereotypes of racial groups.

It's just on a grander scale with a country that is 98.5% Japanese with the other 1.5% minority of around 2 million non Japanese are mostly made up of other Far East Asians. Anything else is a huge minority and subject to all sorts of stereotypes and it probably doesn't help that there are Westerners who are willing to play up to stereotypes to get on Japanese TV. I got very side tracked but what I'm saying is and others have said it already racism does exist everywhere. There are people who are more small minded than others so being the bigger person is always the best option to take. The more you play into the hands of people who want a reaction which makes you look bad the more you set things back with people who carry on these old ways of thinking.

You make a good point, especially when you say "people who want a reaction". It is a catch 22, because I want to be a better man of course. In the same vein, I want these racist people or the people around them to be aware of this behavior among them and how wrong and outdated it is.

I apologize for the following exaggeration but what if none of the African Americans stood up to rascism in the US? Where would they be now? I know the Japanese aren't lynching foreigners, but shouldn't some people stand up against the racism? I realize we are in their country, but it still seems terrible for people to feel this way to other human beings.

I have seen the racism mob mentality in China, where a gang of Chinese (strangers to each other) will all attack the foreigner just because he is a foreigner fighting with a Chinese. Does this happen in Japan as well?

Reactions: Wwanderer
Nice thread.

Too many things to mention.

Playing with hair vigorously ("Look at how rich and good my hair is!")
Sudden Loud Coughing (in your direction)
If you are using a fan, they will make a fanning guesture ("Look at me! I am using a fan! It's hot!")
Sudden Loud Laughing (in your direction - what a coincidence!)
Holding it in with nearly shut eyes...then laughing (in your direction)
Sudden movements with arms or sudden loud voice (by male sitting with female) as you walk by their table
Other like primitive displays
Bonus points if gaijin notices it
More Bonus points if gaijin recognizes it for what it is

Usual stuff that can be denied. The constant preening ("Look at how great my hair is!") etc is actually kinda funny. Think of what other primates constantly do that.

Feel sad for them

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I've noticed on the subway that men (often late into the night) will either make a sigh as your trying to gently get past them to exit the train. Despite not stepping on their toes or brushing hard against them on a very crowded train they purposely make this sound as if you disturbed them greatly. Tonight, I decided to make a head start to avoid this (think of others instead of myself as I had been hinted by these sighs), and get to the door at the stop before. No problem until the moment I get to the corner between the closest seat and the door, where one guy is standing in the corner. I didn't even make bodily contact with him, and suddenly I can feel his elbow jabbing me, pushing me back, despite not taking his space (believe me, I come from a country where personal space is considered sacred). If I could speak Japanese I would have told him "no need to push, I'm not trying to get close/fuck with you." It's kind of stupid some of the guys act like this. I wasn't drunk, nor was I walking sloppily towards the door, nor was I walking aggressively towards him.

Regarding women; on the same train I was in a seat and one young girl made eye contact with me after noticing the single seat next to me. She was with her friend, so maybe the reason she suddenly left was to find two seats together. But she made a movement to sit down and then eye contact with me but then did a swift look away and a 90 degree turn to another direction. Maybe this is just me. But I've always considered it rude to not sit down after you've clearly shown your intention to sit and have made eye contact with the stranger in the adjacent seat. I couldn't do that to anyone because imo it's blatantly rude - even if you know the person smells bad. Didn't really matter I guess, because another hotter girl took her place.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I also noticed that if you are in a really bad mood for some reason and you are in public, many Japanese people will be mad that you are mad. What the fuck is with this bullshit? It isn't polite to be mad about something in public? If I'm mad about something and I can justify my anger, then they can kiss my ass with their stupid judgments. I get these looks and one Japanese woman had the nerve to cough as she passed me while I was in a bad mood. I got right up in her face and coughed up a storm. She didn't like that and that is great because fuck people like her.

Reactions: gaijindude
I find this thread hilarious!

Micro aggressions like this aren't ok, and Japanese people being/ and acting out in a racist way is horrible.

But... Somethings on here are just being paranoid.

If you are referring to my recent post as being paranoid...next time you are in a bad mood in public, take a good look around. You will definitely notice people giving you the stink eye if they are aware you are in a bad mood.

I don't think anyone in the world likes an unpleasant lunatic who rages at the slightest thing and then starts aggressively coughing in people's faces XD. Just in other parts of the world they would punch you in the face instead of run away scared.

Even if I was raging about something in my life...why the fuck does she care? Why would it effect her? Why does she have to be a racist cunt?

Even if I was raging about something in my life...why the fuck does she care? Why would it effect her? Why does she have to be a racist cunt?

Being annoyed by another persons negativity has nothing to do with racism. It's like when you are at the airport and a flight is delayed or cancelled because of a fault and one person always has to throw a fit. Nobody likes that person. Nobody likes people who have a negative aura or are miserable all the time. Literally everything to you is racism even if somebody so much as gets nervous around you because you are probably terrifying it's racism. If somebody even makes a noise walking past you it's racism. If a hot girl doesn't sit next to you it's racism.

I think all of your problems in life could be solved by leaving Japan. You clearly can't stand the place or the people living in it lol. Okay maybe you like the fact you can have a wife who will look away from you sleeping with other women. That's the only thing I've never seen you complain about though you did say you want to divorce her now you got a visa out of her so maybe you hate her too XD.

Being annoyed by another persons negativity has nothing to do with racism. It's like when you are at the airport and a flight is delayed or cancelled because of a fault and one person always has to throw a fit. Nobody likes that person. Nobody likes people who have a negative aura or are miserable all the time. Literally everything to you is racism even if somebody so much as gets nervous around you because you are probably terrifying it's racism. If somebody even makes a noise walking past you it's racism. If a hot girl doesn't sit next to you it's racism.

I think all of your problems in life could be solved by leaving Japan. You clearly can't stand the place or the people living in it lol. Okay maybe you like the fact you can have a wife who will look away from you sleeping with other women. That's the only thing I've never seen you complain about though you did say you want to divorce her now you got a visa out of her so maybe you hate her too XD.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You live in Tokyo, while I'm living in the bumfuck countryside where racism does happen often. Why don't you come visit me in Shizuoka and see for yourself?

I wasn't throwing a fit in public. I was frustrated at most and not raging, so there is really no need for anyone to cough in my general direction.

As for my wife and I, we are working on our marriage rather than just choosing divorce. Yes, I have posted about a possible divorce, but things change.

What about you? Are you married? You use this forum, so I'm sure you are a hardcore sex monger yourself. I wouldn't act so high and mighty.

@TokyoJoeblow
I cannot say I witnessed those reactions by myself, but you may want to keep in mind that you live in a country where you don't rub your bad mood in other peoples face. You smile over it. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if people are slightly disturbed by it. Especially as you generally don't seem to care too much about your surroundings. It may be a reaction that somewhat offsets you, but I doubt it's racism. As pointed out by another poster, negative attitude isn't highly regarded in the western hemisphere, even if we have a much higher tolerance level.

Reactions: SpookySmoothie
The reason it isn't racism is that a Japanese person displaying the same level of upset or rage etc in public would get a FAR more negative reaction than you did @TokyoJoeblow. That sort of public behavior simply isn't socially acceptable in Japanese culture (except when you are drunk) and draws huge disapproval from most Japanese. They cut a gaijin a little bit of extra slack generally, so you probably got less of a rebuff than a Japanese person would have. I know of a case in which a Japanese man with "anger management issues" got arrested multiple times for nothing more than losing his temper loudly and dramatically in public. A judge even required him to undergo a psychiatric examination to determine if he was sane because he couldn't or didn't resist displaying his emotions strongly in public.

You're not in Kansas anymore!

-Ww

I think all of your problems in life could be solved by leaving Japan. You clearly can't stand the place or the people living in it lol.
Anyone else for creating a Kickstarter? (y)

What about you? Are you married? You use this forum, so I'm sure you are a hardcore sex monger yourself. I wouldn't act so high and mighty.

No I'm not married. I was almost married but like you said things change and I figured she would be more trouble than she was worth. I never said that you sleeping around while married was a problem all I said that it's the single thing about your life that you don't complain about and likely the only thing you enjoy about Japan. You have culture differences but feel that everyone else should adjust to you not the other way around. You don't even try to understand social customs of the place you live and don't feel you have to nor do you seem to even be enjoying life there. I'm sure you had your reasons to want a visa and move out there and it probably wasn't to rage at random women and start coughing in their face. You seem very well travelled from what you said so perhaps looking to new horizons wouldn't be so bad. Maybe a move back west where people don't mind if you are openly moody so much.

Reactions: John Chavers
I've found this discussion thread very helpful, as I thought I might be paranoid experiencing these types of behaviors while holidaying in Japan.

I first visited Japan a couple of years ago for a holiday. I had an awesome time, but noticed several of the "microaggressions" mentioned here, such as the fake cough, teeth sucking, fake sighing, etc. At the time I thought I was just being paranoid, ignored it and had a great time in an incredible country.

I've recently returned to Japan for another holiday and have immediately encountered the same passive-aggressive behavior. This time I thought there must be more to it, searched online and found this discussion thread.

My wife also encountered more extreme passive-aggressive actions, such as one person theatrically spitting on the ground (after having passed her by aggressively), and several others farting (again, as passing her by).

Japan is a great country, but these passive-aggressive actions can really wear one down. We were only there for a couple of weeks and this really took the shine off a great holiday. I can only imagine how tough it must be for Westerners who live / work in Japan and experience this behavior daily.

Racism, in all its forms, is a hard nut to crack...

Education does help. So, if holidaying in Japan, be aware, make informed decisions and have a responsible, enjoyable time.

I've found this discussion thread very helpful, as I thought I might be paranoid experiencing these types of behaviors while holidaying in Japan.

I first visited Japan a couple of years ago for a holiday. I had an awesome time, but noticed several of the "microaggressions" mentioned here, such as the fake cough, teeth sucking, fake sighing, etc. At the time I thought I was just being paranoid, ignored it and had a great time in an incredible country.

I've recently returned to Japan for another holiday and have immediately encountered the same passive-aggressive behavior. This time I thought there must be more to it, searched online and found this discussion thread.

My wife also encountered more extreme passive-aggressive actions, such as one person theatrically spitting on the ground (after having passed her by aggressively), and several others farting (again, as passing her by).

Japan is a great country, but these passive-aggressive actions can really wear one down. We were only there for a couple of weeks and this really took the shine off a great holiday. I can only imagine how tough it must be for Westerners who live / work in Japan and experience this behavior daily.

Education does help. So, if holidaying in Japan, be aware, make informed decisions and have a responsible, enjoyable time.

Did those things happen in Tokyo or in other area of Japan?

Reactions: Wwanderer
ive never been target of any passive-agressive or racist behaviour, though i often see it happening to others...
actually (what makes natters more confusing) i sometimes have tell foreigners to leave, or tell them not to enter... that is somehow a strange feeling, but you get used to everything i guess...

Who the hell can fart whenever they want to?
I have a friend.... I'd say he's got about an 80% rate of farting on demand... It's a... gift? =P

On topic, I've only gotten the "ignoring" me, usually going to the ticket gates. Usually, I just respond in kind and walk through them as if though they weren't even there. Don't think it was really racist in origin, I just think they're regular assholes, and I usually pretend assholes don't exist as I guide them into hard objects while not yielding to them.

Happened at a convenience store once, I started walking up to the line when it was my turn, some lady jumped in front of me. I walked up and put my stuff on the counter saying "Oh sorry, I was in line." She gave me a dirty look and told me that she was lined up over on the other side of the store. I actually had a Japanese guy behind me in line start bitching at the cashier telling him to take care of me first, she was the dumbass who didn't line up properly, etc.

Was quite the scene!

Last edited:

Exactly! While I have been on mood stabilizers that help me deal with things a lot better than before, these racist/mostly xenophobic micro aggressions are real.

It is great because you realize it isn't just a handful of people "being paranoid" lol. I feel bad that these behaviors put a damper on your last visit. Maybe try to tune it out more next time (if there is a next time).

I have experienced that aggressive walking, riding and even driving passed me with the spitting just before or after they make eye contact with and pass by me.

At least they aren't walking up to foreigners and blurting out racist shit, but it still gets annoying after living here a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.