Sexually Transmitted Disease (std) Talk

I just got my first of three HPV vaccines today actually. They're 35,000yen each.
Sounds like Gardasil-9, I got all 3 of them done at Tokyo Medical and Surgical Clinic for that price. As with most series of vaccinations, you get the most protection from the first vaccine, so if you want to save money you can try getting only the first. There's research out there saying the first will get you a majority of the immunity as getting three. I got all 3 because I could afford to.

Reactions: Alice
It was on the news the other day that syphilis cases are up in Japan. Last year had the highest number on record, and this year is on track to top that. So be safe and get tested if you are worried. Amazon Japan has self-test kits for a number of STIs including syphilis, and you can get tested at your neighborhood urologist. I got tested recently, and the doc said if I am engaged in risky behaviour, I should get tested again.

Syphilis is treatable now, so you don't have to die from it like Al Capone.

• Sad
Reactions: Maxblack and Alice
I just got my first of three HPV vaccines today actually. They're 35,000yen each.
Yeah it cost about 100.000 total for me in Japan.
I also had it as a teen once.
Wonder if I should renew it again in my early 30s because the doctor told me it wears off in 10 years, that’s why I got the Japan one.
Hep A was two injections, maybe about 20.000-30.000 yen total. Same for hep B

Reactions: Cinnabums
Older guys cannot get vaxxed for HPV is my understanding, anyway. I tried and the nurse looked at me shocked. Said it was for girls. and young women. I think it is because the vaccination for HPV is not effective for older adult men.

At least stateside they are saying the HPV vax is good for men and women up to 45 years old, there's even a commercial campaign running currently on TV to educate people about that.

Last edited:
Older guys cannot get vaxxed for HPV is my understanding, anyway. I tried and the nurse looked at me shocked. Said it was for girls. and young women. I think it is because the vaccination for HPV is not effective for older adult men.
I guess it’s just an assumption because the vaccine was originally marketed as a prevention of womb cancer?

Reactions: Cinnabums
Yeah it cost about 100.000 total for me in Japan.
I also had it as a teen once.
Wonder if I should renew it again in my early 30s because the doctor told me it wears off in 10 years, that’s why I got the Japan one.
Hep A was two injections, maybe about 20.000-30.000 yen total. Same for hep B
Wow, vaccines are expensive in Japan. It cost me all but 30 dollars to get my HPV shots. Well and my monthly premium.

When I asked about it, I was told it's only really recommended for younger people because by 45, it's assumed any sexually active person has already been exposed. If you know you don't have it, you can say that and get it. It's still effective for older adult men, but only if you haven't been exposed to the virus yet.

Wow, vaccines are expensive in Japan. It cost me all but 30 dollars to get my HPV shots. Well and my monthly premium.
It's expensive because it's an import of an HPV vaccine from a Western country not covered by insurance. The Japanese HPV vaccine is likely cheaper but likely covers less strains of HPV.