That's one way to do it...

One thing I want to point out…drinking really isn’t all that cool. There is this pervading idea in our culture today that drunkenness makes a complicated person happy, and everyone wants to believe that they are complicated.

I actually don’t believe that anymore. I think we are simpler creatures than we give credit. I am a happy man if I can get into the nude with a woman and put the sharpest part of my lower body inside of her until I get a natural dopamine release. I lack the physical beauty and guile to score more than one girlfriend, so I have to pay for extra.

Wasting that money on a toxin that makes me feel good for a few hours but ultimately leads to negative feedback just isn’t worth it. Of course I don’t expect nearly anyone on this forum to agree with me on this (especially our Kirkland whiskey chugging forum guard), but to each their own.

So OP if you don’t like drinking, don’t do it. Use that saved money for a blowjob from a cutie when your Japanese improves enough to get into a Pink Salon. You can make friends and still be the cool kid on the block without that stiff drink…even in Japan where alcoholism is nearly epidemic levels at this point.

even in Japan where alcoholism is nearly epidemic levels at this point.
It looks like situation will improve (or deteriorate , if you are in the booze industry). For a country to even consider a “drink more” campaign targeted to the youth shows that kids are maybe less fond of it than their predecessors

Reactions: Danbo
One thing I want to point out…drinking really isn’t all that cool. There is this pervading idea in our culture today that drunkenness makes a complicated person happy, and everyone wants to believe that they are complicated.

I actually don’t believe that anymore. I think we are simpler creatures than we give credit. I am a happy man if I can get into the nude with a woman and put the sharpest part of my lower body inside of her until I get a natural dopamine release. I lack the physical beauty and guile to score more than one girlfriend, so I have to pay for extra.

Wasting that money on a toxin that makes me feel good for a few hours but ultimately leads to negative feedback just isn’t worth it. Of course I don’t expect nearly anyone on this forum to agree with me on this (especially our Kirkland whiskey chugging forum guard), but to each their own.

So OP if you don’t like drinking, don’t do it. Use that saved money for a blowjob from a cutie when your Japanese improves enough to get into a Pink Salon. You can make friends and still be the cool kid on the block without that stiff drink…even in Japan where alcoholism is nearly epidemic levels at this point.

You are absolutely right that drinking is not necessary in life. I also had phases where is didn't drink for months, lived probably a lot healthier without the horrible hangover-regrets. It is neither a crucial part of "growing up" or enjoying yourself. If your life is in balance there is no reason for it.

Only thing I don't agree with is comparing it to sex or suggesting drinking makes you happy because of a dopamin rush. I personally think it has a very different purpose. Getting really drunk is my opinion a good way to relieve stress. You give yourself a break from your sober personality and your daily life....lol, and often the hangover the next day is part of the process. Being forced to calm down, do nothing, rethink your latest decisions etc can have some positive aspects.

Other positive aspect is that drunkenness can lead to bigger spectrum of experiences. If you stay sober it is just very unlikely that you will barhop till the sun rises again...sure, it's debatable if that is a valuable experience, everybody has to decide that for himself.

Reactions: Alice
Getting really drunk is my opinion a good way to relieve stress. You give yourself a break from your sober personality and your daily life....lol, and often the hangover the next day is part of the process. Being forced to calm down, do nothing, rethink your latest decisions etc can have some positive aspects.

Other positive aspect is that drunkenness can lead to bigger spectrum of experiences. If you stay sober it is just very unlikely that you will barhop till the sun rises again...sure, it's debatable if that is a valuable experience, everybody has to decide that for himself.
Yeah…no. Getting really drunk actually by scientific fact increases stress. The initial feeling of euphoria is ethanol helping you “cheat” for a short period time with definite negative backlash. Recovery from even one drink has been proven to show deleterious effects on health.

Also, a sober life doesn’t mean you can’t have a wild personality…and a hangover doesn’t make you reflect on anything positively. And yes, I have barhopped until 5am drinking tonic lime and club soda; the time spent yammering away with people I like in whatever state they are in is what intoxicates me.

It just cultures a sense of feeling like life is complicated and making rash decisions that at times can be costly. Of course maybe sometimes we need a “shake up,” but using drugs to do so I think is unnecessary.

I believe a healthy outlook on alcohol is to do it seldomly in very special celebrations for fellowship, but seeing how easily it destroys lives I would have no complaint if the world of the future only relegated it to cooking and cleaning products.

Yeah…no. Getting really drunk actually by scientific fact increases stress. The initial feeling of euphoria is ethanol helping you “cheat” for a short period time with definite negative backlash. Recovery from even one drink has been proven to show deleterious effects on health.

Also, a sober life doesn’t mean you can’t have a wild personality…and a hangover doesn’t make you reflect on anything positively. And yes, I have barhopped until 5am drinking tonic lime and club soda; the time spent yammering away with people I like in whatever state they are in is what intoxicates me.

It just cultures a sense of feeling like life is complicated and making rash decisions that at times can be costly. Of course maybe sometimes we need a “shake up,” but using drugs to do so I think is unnecessary.

I believe a healthy outlook on alcohol is to do it seldomly in very special celebrations for fellowship, but seeing how easily it destroys lives I would have no complaint if the world of the future only relegated it to cooking and cleaning products.

Yeah sure, alcohol is like any other drug. Gives you temporary benefits that you have to pay for later on with your health....that's why have to be careful and not get accustomed to it. I think worse than getting drunk once in a while is developing a habit of daily drinking. It is completely normalized to drink a daily after work or while having dinner 😑

Alcohol destroys life's, kills thousands of people every year....but it is deeply woven into human culture worldwide and I don't want to imagine a world without it. Like you said some people have a wild personality while sober, but the majority of the population is not like that. Japan especially makes clear that a lot of them need alcohol to loosen up a bit. It brings strangers together to celebrate, chat, have fun. In theory it should all be possible sober, but there is a reason why people developed a culture around it everywhere around the globe.

Reactions: Alice
Drink in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT
Drink with good friends and gauge your tolerance for alcohol before stepping out into the world and get your credit cards stolen.
If you get drunk, at least its with people you trust.

Drink in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT
Drink with good friends and gauge your tolerance for alcohol before stepping out into the world and get your credit cards stolen.
If you get drunk, at least its with people you trust.
100% this. I only got blackout-level drunk once in my life, when I was 17. I didn't even notice it happening, one moment I was happily chugging Jack&Cola at a party, then I have a blank of a couple of hours. Boy was I happy I had great friends around me that took me home and carried me up the 3 flights of stairs to my parent's condo.

This taught me two valuable lessons in life. 1) You can drink a lot less than you think you can (delayed onset, beware) and 2) it's important to have friends around when you misjudge your tolerance (which happens to all of us).

100% this. I only got blackout-level drunk once in my life, when I was 17. I didn't even notice it happening, one moment I was happily chugging Jack&Cola at a party, then I have a blank of a couple of hours. Boy was I happy I had great friends around me that took me home and carried me up the 3 flights of stairs to my parent's condo.

This taught me two valuable lessons in life. 1) You can drink a lot less than you think you can (delayed onset, beware) and 2) it's important to have friends around when you misjudge your tolerance (which happens to all of us).
In my case, i call it peer pressure from my ancestors.
Asian cultures are weird, expecially my family.
All of us were taught to drink from young.
In the case we are to drink, we have high tolerence or at least we know our limits so we don't get taken advantage of in anyways.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
If you're determined to drink, a few bits of advice:

1) Don't switch from beer to liquor later in the evening. You'll almost certainly overdo the liquor.

2) One glass of water for each alcoholic drink. Alternate them. 90% of a hangover is dehydration.

3) Don't leave your drink unattended in any entertainment area in Asia. Some people put things in other people's drinks, either for amusement or to rob/assault them.

4) If you do shots, remember that it takes about 15 minutes for the effect of the shot to hit you. Don't do lots of shots in short order - pace them out and make sure you're not getting twisted. But seriously - don't do shots until you're more experienced with regular drinks.

5) Don't be swayed by things being called "girly drinks" - start with lower alcohol content drinks.

6) Don't start drinking on an empty stomach - solid meal first.

7) Drink a big glass of water before bed after you've been drinking alcohol.

Know most of the rules, tend to forget them after the first few drinks.

Been doing things regularly after drinks as of recently🙄.

Reactions: hrbb
8) If you are new to Japan and new to drinking, stay away from Strong Zero. It combines high alcohol percentage with sweet taste, cheap price. You can drink it like lemonade and the alcohol kicks super fast. It tastes harmless but will easily fuck you up.

Reactions: Sudsy
As someone that has probably had no more than 200 ‘dry’ days in the last 20 years of my life, and evidently loves a drink at the end of the day, and several on a weekend, and is drinking by themselves right now….

If youve gone the first 25 years of your life without drinking, keep it up!

The highs arent really worth the lows. I have plenty of teetotal friends that know how to have fun on a night out.

Also planning on drinking for the first time in a new country where you have no support network seems like a bad idea. Why not get wasted at home with friends before you come here? If you overall enjoy the experience, try it here too, but you wont know your limits until you try, and that seems a but dangerous

Drinking is a great excuse for limp dick / bad performance. So you if you’re worried about being lame in bed, get drunk first and then blame the booze!

Reactions: Cinnabums
But how will he stay in front of the family mart in center gai with all the other wasted tourists and Japanese teens then!?

Jokes aside, just don't fucking drink.

But how will he stay in front of the family mart in center gai with all the other wasted tourists and Japanese teens then!?

Brings me back to my wasted youth, good ol’ times…

I think the campaign was "don't drink and drive" but if you ask me "don't drink and fuck" sounds way more important.

Just on this one - that’s an interesting view. Would you say the same about an oncologist?
I can’t even tell you how much therapy helped me and lots of friends I know (even remote). I hope you give it a shot ✊
I see what you're getting at.

The oncologist doesn't have cancer and can't "relate" to a person with cancer. However, they have spent 14ish years of their life in degree hell to gain the knowledge to diagnose and treat cancer.

What would be the equivalent profession that'd be able to "treat" my situation then? Dating Coach, I guess? Most certainly not a therapist lmao.

Of course therapy isn't bad, it's just I don't see any point in it for my particular situation.

If youve gone the first 25 years of your life without drinking, keep it up!

The highs arent really worth the lows. I have plenty of teetotal friends that know how to have fun on a night out.
And with that, you just got me conflicted on drinking in Japan, argh! Curse you! :cry:

What nightlife is there in Tokyo that doesn't require me to drink? Not drinking leaves bars and clubs out of the picture.

What nightlife is there in Tokyo that doesn't require me to drink? Not drinking leaves bars and clubs out of the picture.

I wouldn't say that. Clubbing without drinking is totally fine as well as going to concerts for example. Done often enough when I wasn't drinking...that's no big deal.

Bars are maybe a bit trickier, because it can easily happen that somebody invites you to some drinks and it is hard to decline. It is for sure doable but heavily depends on the type of place you intend to go to....do some research and try out what is enjoyable.

I wouldn't say that. Clubbing without drinking is totally fine as well as going to concerts for example. Done often enough when I wasn't drinking...that's no big deal.

Bars are maybe a bit trickier, because it can easily happen that somebody invites you to some drinks and it is hard to decline. It is for sure doable but heavily depends on the type of place you intend to go to....do some research and try out what is enjoyable.
Got it, gives me a good start! I'll have to keep an eye out for any concerts going on during my trip then. I'm sure I can figure out some other stuff to do too.

Getting invited to get drinks would be pretty crazy. In that situation, I'd continue the momentum and accept. I'll just make sure to drink the lightest drink... whatever it is.

So, I guess the verdict is I won't go out of my way to do it, but if invited I will.

Got it, gives me a good start! I'll have to keep an eye out for any concerts going on during my trip then. I'm sure I can figure out some other stuff to do too.

Getting invited to get drinks would be pretty crazy. In that situation, I'd continue the momentum and accept. I'll just make sure to drink the lightest drink... whatever it is.

So, I guess the verdict is I won't go out of my way to do it, but if invited I will.
The ‘lightest’ drink would be tea or water.
Dont worry, plenty of people here do not drink, including at bars and other social events where most people are drinking. Its not weird and not drinking alcohol is not the reason that you would make a social situation awkward.

Dont worry, plenty of people here do not drink, including at bars and other social events where most people are drinking. It’s not weird and not drinking alcohol is not the reason that you would make a social situation awkward.
Totally agree. 50% of my Japanese friends lack the enzyme to break down alcohol (meaning it’s actually dangerous for them to drink) and we still manage to have a great time. I have a beer and they have a soda. It’s really no big deal here in Japan!