The Issue Of Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
"that chick's breasts are so droopy, her nipples dragged on the floor when she walked down the hall."

Wow, what powerful imagery; I can almost see that in my mind. Also, great use of hyperbole!!!
I see that not particularly as an insult, but making a point with effective figurative language. I'd love to see that in a review. It is language that comes alive in the reader's mind.

I think we all get it that you do not find such mocking hyperbole insulting. Being a nice person, you don’t intend to insult or hurt other people and so wouldn’t use such language if you thought it offensive. But by now you presumably get that other people do feel insulted and hurt when they read such things, regardless of how you perceive them. Right?

The question is how you (you personally and others) are going to respond to the *fact* that your prose style is offending them and, in some cases, making them feel very bad indeed. As far as I can see your answer is to tell them, in effect, “Too bad. That's life. Just suck it up and deal.” Fwiiw, that is a not so nice or classy imo, and if you feel criticized, that is the reason (at least in my case), not that you unintentionally insulted and hurt people. We all do such things unintentionally at times, but many people are willing to try to avoid doing so to the extent possible.

"her breasts aren't really that firm in my opinion"
Boring as hell! And who wants to read boring reviews? We have quite a few talented writers here on TAG. It would truly be a shame to castrate them with politically correct language.

Since you aren’t doing p4p these days, I can see why you might want reviews to be as entertaining as possible, but of course their main purpose is not to be fun reads but to convey accurate information to potential customers of the SW being reviewed. In this regard hyperbole and other forms of humor tend to be counterproductive. In @meiji 's examples it is pretty much impossible to get any meaningful impression of the firmness of the woman’s breasts from the entertaining/insulting version because it is so exaggerated. The "boring" version, however, actually contains useful information.

-Ww

Reactions: owlet
Disabled self-locking. This was not the intended use of this option.

If I ever knew it, I have forgotten the originally intended (and doubtless sensible) use of the option, but the unintended consequence of letting one of those most involved in a discussion (probably, since they started it) to decide when to cut everyone else off does seem like an invitation to abuse. It is also an invitation to having someone involved in the discussion start a new thread on the same topic so they can continue talking about it, and clearly that would just make things confusing and messy. I think we are better off without it and am glad you disabled it.

-Ww

Last edited:
I think we all get it that you do not find such mocking hyperbole insulting. Being a nice person, you don’t intend to insult or hurt other people and so wouldn’t use such language if you thought it offensive. But by now you presumably get that other people do feel insulted and hurt when they read such things, regardless of how you perceive them. Right?

The question is how you (you personally and others) are going to respond to the *fact* that your prose style is offending them and, in some cases, making them feel very bad indeed. As far as I can see your answer is to tell them, in effect, “Too bad. That's life. Just suck it up and deal.” Fwiiw, that is a not so nice or classy imo, and if you feel criticized, that is the reason (at least in my case), not that you unintentionally insulted and hurt people. We all do such things unintentionally at times, but many people are willing to try to avoid doing so to the extent possible.

Since you aren’t doing p4p these days, I can see why you might want reviews to be as entertaining as possible, but of course their main purpose is not to be fun reads but to convey accurate information to potential customers of the SW being reviewed. In this regard hyperbole and other forms of humor tend to be counterproductive. In @meiji 's examples it is pretty much impossible to get any meaningful impression of the firmness of the woman’s breasts from the entertaining/insulting version because it is so exaggerated. The "boring" version, however, actually contains useful information.

-Ww
sigh............still?

I more than agree with just4fun's weariness with the topic.

It's sounding more and more like a scratchy record that continually grates on people's nerves.

I am just going to have to end my responses in this thread.

There's just no point in reacting to self-righteous attempts to unreasonably censor posts on TAG with narrow personal out-dated prudish values.

Long live the Post-Modern Age!!!

Sorry Ww, perhaps we can find agreement on another topic. This one ran its course days ago.

Last edited:
OK, no reason to continue the discussion if you don't wish to do so, but I have to mention that you totally lost me with "prudish"...I have no clue what you mean by that, but whatever.

-Ww

Reactions: owlet
OK, no reason to continue the discussion if you don't wish to do so, but I have to mention that you totally lost me with "prudish"...I have no clue what you mean by that, but whatever.

-Ww

OK, definitely the LAST post in this thread-so weary and dizzy.

prudish
adjective
excessively proper or modest in speech, conduct,dress, etc.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/prudish

prudish

adjective
To be prudish is to be extremely proper, almost a little too proper. To be called prudish isn't a compliment.

To be proper is to be polite and have good manners. To be prudish is to take being proper to an exaggerated or ridiculous degree. For example, it's definitely a bad idea to use a naughty word in class, but a friend who scolds you when you use it privately could be considered prudish. They're going a little too far. Prudish behavior is also called priggish, prim, prissy, puritanical, and straight-laced. Others usually think prudish people should lighten up.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/prudish

I'd like to apologize for being the main cause of this thread.. I did overreact and did misunderstand..

Although it's nice to read all these kind, positive replies that I can agree with, I did take the time to look through the different point of view. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I think I understand where they're coming from.

However, I have to disagree on one thing. I'm not just "a bit emotional". I am above that.. lol. And I'm not afraid to admit it. I have my pros and cons, just like everyone else.

You shouldnt have to apologize for expressing how you felt, and your reaction was not out of line either. I'm sure everyone on both sides was able to learn from this experience. Your positive attitude and yasashii personality far outweighs any physical shortcomings you think you have.

Likewise, I saw nothing wrong with @roots reggae 3p comment, especially considering his motives and subsequent explanation. He's not sorry for making the comment, but I'm sure he feels bad that it was taken as offense. I don't think he would have said something knowing it would hurt people.

You shouldnt have to apologize for expressing how you felt, and your reaction was not out of line either. I'm sure everyone on both sides was able to learn from this experience. Your positive attitude and yasashii personality far outweighs any physical shortcomings you think you have.
I appreciate the compliment. Thank you! :) but I don't like holding grudges or being in arguments for too long. Time to move on~ ☆

45495-Gif-Lol-Funny-Pikachu-Pokemon-Anime-Meme-Pokemon-Gif-Anime-Gif-Pikachu-....gif

OK, definitely the LAST post in this thread-so weary and dizzy.

prudish
adjective

Thanks, but I was unclear. It isn't that I didn't know the definition of "prudish" (did you seriously think that I might not?) but that I don't see what it has to do with this discussion. No one was complaining about the use of foul or explicit (or any other specific) language "in front of" the ladies (or others who might be offended) but rather about the use of mocking and potentially hurtful humor, no matter what words are used to express it.

Anyway, I'm also ready to drift along if there is nothing further/new of substance to say.

-Ww

Reactions: hkAlone
No Steel Panther fans on board for a sing-a-long?

Reactions: MossBoss
No Steel Panther fans on board for a sing-a-long?

I'll make one more exception to my determination to stop posting in this thread.

I had no clue what the Master of Fun meant until I looked it up.

Oh my,

Hilarious!!!:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: just4fun
@roots reggae - Is the above your last post in the thread??? :D

-Ww

Ww,

My frustration with the cycle of going back and forth with you, repeating the same explanations ad nauseum , led me to make the vow to stop posting in this thread. I got the feeling that you were obsessed with winning some kind of futile argument, somewhat like those annoying missionary folks that go around the neighborhood attempting to convert people. They, too, seem to believe they can change someone's mind by always getting the last word.

I didn't want to play that game.

However, I have no such frustration with just4fun, on the contrary, I greatly appreciate his sense of humor!

P.S. This is not an invitation to continue our exchange. I am not surprised that you felt compelled to post the mocking question regarding my last post. If it satisfies your compulsion, by all means do so! However, I concede. You win! Get the last word in.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheScientist
My frustration with the cycle of going back and forth with you, repeating the same explanations ad nauseum , led me to make the vow to stop posting in this thread. I got the feeling that you were obsessed with winning some kind of futile argument, ...

I consider you a friend in the net sense and generally respect your opinions, mostly agree with them. I am hence very sorry that I irritated you so much. That was not my intent. I pretty much NEVER take net debates personally or find them irritating; at one time I did, but I got past that stage in the mid-1980s I think it was. In any case and again, I apologize for any distress I may have caused you.

Let me confess that I do try to "win" or, more precisely, make my case as well and compellingly as I possibly can in net debates. Doing any less is not respectful of the person on the other side of the issue nor of the discussion itself and those listening imo. It would be as if I played chess or ping pong or something, and I let my opponent win by not taking the game and/or him/her seriously enough to really try. I didn't go back and check, but I bet that if you did (I don't recommend it!) you would find that pretty much all of my posts after the first one or two making my basic point were either news arguments or replies to something specific you said. Anyway, that is what I usually do.

P.S. This is not an invitation to continue our exchange. I am not surprised that you felt compelled to post the mocking question regarding my last post. If it satisfies your compulsion, by all means do so! However, I concede. You win! Get the last word in.

Tbh and at the risk of further irritating you, I must admit that my main goal in that last post was to see if you find mocking humor, being made fun of, particularly annoying! Most people do, and I guess you do too. I thought it was (slightly) funny that you declared a whole series of posts to be your last one. :D

-Ww

Last edited:
Reactions: User#6541
I must admit that my main goal in that last post was to see if you find mocking humor, being made fun of, particularly annoying! Most people do, and I guess you do too.

Well, well...
Interesting ricochet post!
After all, 'being made fun of' is what started all the discussion, right ?

Moral of the threads, we all do have "something", that someone else can use to hurt/annoy us.
Lets just be respectful of other's somethings.

Status
Not open for further replies.